Porsche 991 Information Released

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 1,004 comments
Porsche 991 Turbo and Turbo S full specs released.

Packing a twin-turbocharged and direct-injected 3.8-liter flat-six engine, the new 911 Turbo rates at 520 horsepower while the more extreme 911 Turbo S benefits from a 560-horsepower rating. That’s up 20 and 30 horsepower, respectively, over the outgoing models.

Power is transferred to all four wheels via Porsche’s seven-speed PDK dual-clutch transmission, which now features an engine stop-start system that even works when the car is coasting in order to maximize fuel economy. The end result is gas mileage of 24 mpg on the European combined cycle, with either model (EPA figures will be released closer to launch). Unfortunately, reports of the manual’s demise on the latest 911 Turbo look to have been accurate as Porsche has made no mention of the three-pedal option yet.

Considering the performance of the car, we doubt it will be missed much. Porsche is quoting a 0-60 mph time of 3.2 seconds for the 911 Turbo with the optional Sport Chrono Package and a time of just 2.9 seconds for the 911 Turbo S with the same Sport Chrono Package. Top speed is 196 and 198 mph, respectively.

As for the Nürburgring lap time, Porsche states only that it will be well under 7:30.

Unlike previous generations, the latest 911 Turbo is wider than even the 911 Carrera 4 models, to the tune of 1.1 inches. Other unique elements include two-tone aluminum wheels measuring 20 inches across and aggressive intakes in the rear bumper. The 911 Turbo S gets a few additional unique features, including center hub wheel locks and standard full-LED headlights.

Sales commence at the end of 2013, with pricing starting at $149,250 for the 911 Turbo and $182,050 for the 911 Turbo S. Both prices include a $950 destination fee.

Interesting. I wonder how conservative numbers are these..

Also, Porsche has launched a microsite for it.

Last edited:
I would rather have a handfull of other cars for this kind of money but the new Porsche 911 is really growing on me. I have never been a Porsche fan but I really like what I'm seeing appearance wise and spec wise for the Turbo S and GT3 (except for the pdk only option).

It seems too expensive for being that close in performance to the 997.2. You could take a used 997.1, mod it enough to obliterate one of these and have some spare cash probably.

It seems too expensive for being that close in performance to the 997.2. You could take a used 997.1, mod it enough to obliterate one of these and have some spare cash probably.

That can be said of any performance car.

Porsche's pricing has really jumped into Wonderland. Discovering that minimally equipped Boxsters are upwards of $60,000 nearly broke my mother's heart the other day.

2014 911 Turbo (S)

porsche-911-turbo-s-2013-005.jpg

porsche-911-turbo-s-2013-010.jpg

porsche-911-turbo-s-2013-004.jpg

http://germancarscene.com/2013/05/03/porsche-991-turbo-revealed/

Last edited:
What can be said of any perf. Car? What I am saying is that this does not look as much of a leap as the 996-997 was in performance terms yet is pretty much 20K more.

I think what he meant was that you could basically buy any predecessor of a current performance car, dump the difference in price into mods and obliterate the new car in terms of performance. The current M3, for example, hovers around € 70,000 new. You could easily buy an E46 M3 for half the money and make it go quite a bit faster than the E92.

Besides, if you think about it... The M3 being around the € 70,000 mark and the M6 € 120,000, where should a 911 Turbo be?

Don't know about the UK but in the US the turbo will be $40,000 more than a new M6 according to that. I agree about the last gen stuff to a certain extent but I Still don't see that much differnece in times nor other tech to justify the extra cash. Maybe it's just me thinking that the normal turbo will be Well over 200K now over here in PR with the taxes.

Wow, I nailed that prediction on the pricing back in March.
The 997 Turbo retailed for $132,000 with the S at $160,000 (with a 4 year gap). The GT2 was at $200,000. Take in the fact that the R8 is near the end of its life cycle & this will be an all-new Turbo roughly the same price, it's a guarantee that extra money for the Porsche will blow the Audi away, as it should. The only thing the Audi will have is exclusivity & looks.

Going off the new GT3, which is a $15,000 raise over the 997 GT3, I'd bet the new Turbo retails for around $150,000 & the S at $180,000.

Everybody is going to buy it except the hardcore fans who believe it lost its soul.

Porsche XBone.

Everybody is going to buy it except the hardcore fans who believe it lost its soul.

Porsche XBone.
Such a stupid thing regarding this car, anyway. Porsche does what it can to make a car born for the track even faster on the track & all people can argue is that they won't be going to the track and they want to row their own gears.

Go buy a Carrera S then.

Maybe the GTS variant will have a manual.

Otherwise, if it makes the car faster while not taking anything away from the overall experience then i'm for the PDK.

Chris Harris's written review... After a Singer, I want a 991 GT3 soooooo badly.

When I was a nipper, there was a woman who worked at the shop in the next village whose skills behind a cash till were mesmerising. I used to tag along for the weekly trip just to see how fast she could bash the keys on the machine without, it seemed, ever making a mistake.

She continued working there for years, her body hunching with age and her hair greying, but the speed never left her. She was awesome personified and displayed a dexterity I have never seen before or since. And then one day, I don't precisely remember when, I went in to buy something and The Fastest Checkout Girl in the West simply passed the object under a machine which went 'beep' and she read out a price. She struggled to smile; she knew she would never have the chance to demonstrate her awesome skills again, and she knew I knew it. I felt very sad.

This obtuse recollection came to mind as I was driving the new 991 GT3. I was pootling along at 30mph and then had to slow to 10mph and negotiate an obstruction in a village. I simply pulled the left lever, the car seamlessly dropped from second to first gear without a shudder and accelerated away again. It was utterly nonchalant - neither car nor driver gave it a second thought.

And then it struck me I had just missed a perfect opportunity to demonstrate to myself one of the most difficult gearchange situations - the smooth heel'n'toe from second to first gear. The one I used to do as often as possible years ago to learn how best to match brake and throttle. This was confusing. On the one hand I was awed at the way this new PDK transmission handled the situation, on the other, just like the demon till operator I felt that a skill I had nurtured and cherished for so many years had been rendered redundant.

This is a theme that pervades any appraisal of the new 991 GT3. It is not one I wish to avoid, but it I think it needs to be separated from the reality of driving the vehicle itself.

The GT3 is paddles only, and to ignore this car because it's missing a pedal would be foolish. It provides a driving experience I'd have thought impossible in a street-legal 911 until recently - and by recently I mean last week. When you watch the rev counter spring from 8,500rpm to 9,000rpm then tap that lever, receive a nudge to the spine and register an exhaust pop reflecting of a cliff face it's hard to support the notion that the new GT3 is anything other than a complete masterpiece.

The engine is perhaps an even bigger bone of contention. Gone is the old split case six that defined unquestionably the greatest sports car dynasty in Porsche's history - the GT3 - in its place comes a derivative of the direct injection 9A1 motor.

The first time you extend it, you forget the Mezger lump ever existed. Rated at 475hp and with 325lb ft of torque it is so happy revving beyond 8,000rpm that controlling the instinct to spend the whole time up in the raucous zone is too much to bear. And the noise between 8,500 and 9,000 needs to be experienced first hand. It's the sound of a valvetrain straining. It's slightly unsettling and perfectly real. There's no symposer here: the noise builds from 3,000rpm and dominates the experience. At 9,000rpm, with the exhaust in its loud mode, the car is louder than a 997 Cup car.

Gear ratios are shorter than on the 997 GT3 and, unlike other PDK 911s, seventh gear is not an overdrive. It's a stunning powertrain: characterful, accessible and so damn fast. Porsche claims 0-100mph in 7.5 seconds using the launch control, and, not that many people will trouble such a time, it can lap that place in Germany in 7min25sec.

Four-wheel steering locks in place for thisBigger gains have been made in the chassis. Don't dismiss the four-wheel steering until you've driven this car. A wider front axle, new rubber, many new suspension components and a superb active locking differential combine to transform the GT3's behaviour in bends. Gone is the understeer and reluctance to turn. The agility is startling and the way the diff can open under braking makes it feel free and keen to change direction. As someone who has spent too much time trying to make fast 911s more effective on the road, I was just stunned at what it can do.

But best of all the technology is invisible within the overall experience, you simply do not know it's there - to the point that if you provoke the car into a slide the car instantly locks the rear wheels in place because it knows you want to be silly. High-speed stability is of a different quality to the outgoing car. For me, the weight penalty as a road car is easily worth the gains at all speeds.

I only drove the car on dry roads, but the electric power steering proves that we need to be patient with what appears to be an evil development. This is miles, miles better than the Carrera's rack. The weighting immediately has GT3 DNA about it. The squirm and wriggle is much more muted than before but it's telepathically accurate. This is the first electric steering I have felt an emotion for that went beyond mere tolerance. I want to drive the car in mixed conditions before saying much more.

To my skewed sense of the aesthetic this car looks plain wonderful. The nose treatment lifts it above normal 911s, the forged rims - especially the dished rears - had me gawping for minutes and the suggestive ride height gives it that unmistakable air of no-messing. The cabin is a mild tweak on the 991 theme: well organised, high-quality and dotted with enough GT3 references to keep people happy. The carbon buckets in the Clubsport model are less extreme than the old fixed-back items, but still a great compromise between weight, comfort and support.

Reducing the travel of the paddles by 50 per cent and increasing the effort required to pull them certainly adds to the sense of occasion and connection. The lever also moves in the correct direction, back to go up. Shifts themselves are mesmerisingly quick, Porsche quotes a number but it's meaningless from behind the wheel - they feel instant. Coupled with the new front axle agility it makes the GT3 so immediate and athletic and, crucially, completely cloaks the fact that the car is heavier than before. The way it drives, you'd swear it was lighter. In defense of the paddle approach, there were times when I genuinely thought the car wasn't just better for having them, but more fun too. I didn't expect that.

I drove the car in 'normal' gearshift mode, 'sport' is for circuit use only.

Brake pedal feel is exemplary and I suppose one of the few upsides to not having to match engine and gear speed is now being able to ignore the fact the brake pedal is still a little too high.

Steel brakes are standard: 380mm all-round with exemplary pedal feel and not once giving me any fade. The electronic safety systems, coupled with the torque vectoring give less skilled drivers immense security to explore the car's capabilities, but I love the fact that you can still remove everything and lay lines if you want to.

Which should somehow bring me back to the old crone who could process a trolley of food shopping like her life depended on it, but I can't summon a suitable hook to lead us back there.

I suppose it's a point of principle, really. Changing gear yourself is one of the cornerstones of driver skill and enjoyment. As every other manufacturer of very fast cars has abandoned the noble gear lever, Porsche had a chance to show that it operated on a different level to those traitors. But it chose not to. However, I cannot allow that to taint what the GT3 has become. It is faster, better and in many ways more enjoyable than before. Just thinking about that engine as it heads into the red zone makes me grin. But the GT3 would have been more things to more people if there was an option to change gear yourself - of that I remain quite convinced.

Such a stupid thing regarding this car, anyway. Porsche does what it can to make a car born for the track even faster on the track & all people can argue is that they won't be going to the track and they want to row their own gears.

Go buy a Carrera S then.
Actually, the Porsches I'd choose before any other are an air-cooled, maybe a 964 or 993 Carrera, nothing fancy, and...wait for it...an early-model Boxster. The base model. Call me strange. In my opinion, any car that fills the void eventually left by this RX7 will have a very large, exciting, and capable hole to fill. Either way the cars would be modified to get them up to scruff.

All this comment about the way it drives, but the first thing that struck me was that I wasn't particularly keen on the way it looks. To date, the prettiest GT3 is still the 996 with its unusual folded rear wing, and the best mix of aggression and style is the 997 GT3 RS in Viper Green.

Actually, the Porsches I'd choose before any other are an air-cooled, maybe a 964 or 993 Carrera, nothing fancy, and...wait for it...an early-model Boxster. The base model.

Kinda with you there, though I'd go a few decades earlier on the 911 (the 60s and early 70s ones just look so good), and I'd be tempted to upgrade that Boxster to an early, 2.7-engined Cayman.

Those, or a 968 Club Sport.

Actually, the Porsches I'd choose before any other are an air-cooled, maybe a 964 or 993 Carrera, nothing fancy, and...wait for it...an early-model Boxster. The base model. Call me strange. In my opinion, any car that fills the void eventually left by this RX7 will have a very large, exciting, and capable hole to fill. Either way the cars would be modified to get them up to scruff.

I too am in the RX-7 to 964 camp. After grad school, I should be able to afford it. :)

993 has far too much a premium over the 964 and from some accounts, it's not even as good to drive. 964 Carrera. Perfection.

I want floor hinged pedals, individual glass-lens gauges, and an ignition key on the left side of the steering column damn it. Otherwise the 996 would be a compelling alternative...

I've learned from this car that there's a line that needs to be threaded between "rad" and "nice". Right now my car is like 90% rad and 10% nice. I need to balance that out a little more because girls don't care about rad, but they do like Porsches. Think 993 with a perfect interior on coilovers.

Or 964 on coilovers and volks...

tes.jpg

BBS (?)
947092_4818993362438_442422770_n.jpg

100% Rad. 100% Nice. Check mate.

On topic: I have no problem with Porsche equipping the GT3 with a PDK gearbox. If it means it can outperform a GT-R and other rivals for magazine reviews and youtube track battles, then great! However, I imagine there are quite a few people who don't care how fast it laps and just want to enjoy the car. Whats wrong with making a manual trans optional? I imagine the standard Carrera S gearbox would work just fine.

Last edited:
Back