Porsche is Giving the 919 a Victory Tour (And Looking to Shatter Lap Records)

Disclaimer: everything I know about Stefan Bellof is from reading books and other sources of historical motorsport info. I never saw him race - indeed he died almost a year before I was born - so everything I'm about to say is conjecture.

I don't understand why Bellof's record should be treated as sacred.

I'm fairly sure Bellof not only wouldn't care if Porsche beat his record, but would actively encourage it, and if he was alive today would probably want to be driving the Evo himself to have a crack at it. He strikes me as a man who was only interested not in going fast, but in going faster. Having the ability to break records and then not using it would seem anathema to him; what's the point of having all these fast cars if they aren't used to go quicker than anyone else ever?

On a side note it makes me wonder what he's say about driver rankings and BoP... that would be fun to hear.

I think if they were going to have a stab at Le Mans they'd have done it in the week running up to the race. A good chunk of the circuit is closed public roads so getting them closed just for this is unlikely.

wouldn't it also just kinda be bad publicity for Le Mans as a WEC event... would make the quali session times far less news worthy if no one realistically ever stood a chance of setting a new lap record

To put this lap into some sort of context, at just over the 3 min mark he’s already at the carousel.

The 911 GT3 RS that ran a 6:56 earlier this year was ONLY at the Lauda Left-Kink at the 3 min mark. :eek:

Porsche’s second fastest road car at the ring was that far behind just after 3 mins.

Congrats to the team and Timo for creating history today. :cheers:

I've extracted telemetry from the onboard video.

Here is the forward acceleration vs time.
Acceleration.png

I would say a solo lap is more impressive than a race lap. You will not get a tow down the straights. Anyways, that is a mean mf.r for sure. I am glad they did it. Who really cares about some 'official' time? Anyone that knows, knows they crushed it. When I was in college they had a weightlifting board, for chicks and guys. I slaughtered most of those records and my girlfriend did about the same to the girls records. All the people who knew, knew both of us. I never cared about my name on a wall for something. The guy whos name was on the wall knew I was stronger than him. Just had 2 full time jobs and 18 credit hour class load and basketball I had to do. Screw some name on a plaque. Im glad that new porsche crushed it.

Video game level of ridiculousness :lol:

The exit acceleration is like some sort of star trek 'warp factor 8, mr Scott', and the cornering speeds are just plain daft. The level of bravery needed to go round there at those speeds with the lack of run off/safety features is beyond my comprehension.

I think I read somewhere it set a lap at Spa faster than an F1 car, so no real surprise it goes round The 'Ring that fast. There's a thread on Pistonheads about cars on the IOM trying to match the bike times. This would completely annihilate that record.

Roo
Disclaimer: everything I know about Stefan Bellof is from reading books and other sources of historical motorsport info. I never saw him race - indeed he died almost a year before I was born - so everything I'm about to say is conjecture.

I don't understand why Bellof's record should be treated as sacred.

I'm fairly sure Bellof not only wouldn't care if Porsche beat his record, but would actively encourage it, and if he was alive today would probably want to be driving the Evo himself to have a crack at it. He strikes me as a man who was only interested not in going fast, but in going faster. Having the ability to break records and then not using it would seem anathema to him; what's the point of having all these fast cars if they aren't used to go quicker than anyone else ever?

On a side note it makes me wonder what he's say about driver rankings and BoP... that would be fun to hear.

For me, the lap above is not comparable to Bellof's record.

The 919 isn't a class race car... it's more like the Red Bull thing in GT6... built without any consideration to class rules and limits. Doesn't mean it's not an amazing lap, but the significance of it isn't the same IMO.

Back