Porsche Pulls Plug on EA Exclusivity Deal, Could Be Coming to More Racing Games in 2017

All the more reason I believe Comic Sans should be the official joke/sarcasm font of the interwebs.

Yeah perhaps, inb4 is easy meme speak to clarify. Also I doubt we'll ever get official word like you somewhat hinted of Porsche ending the deal (outside the interview) until more people get the cars if it does happen.

Considering no older cars have been revealed so far, I doubt GTS would bring Porsches people really want to drive. At best, we can expect 919H and either latest 991 or Cayman.

Was it' possible to use or drive in game?
Yes you can via an Action Replay Disc it was pretty fun to drive but you can't really put it in any events since it's barely in the game and isn't put in any classes such as rr, turbo aspiration, etc.

Considering no older cars have been revealed so far, I doubt GTS would bring Porsches people really want to drive. At best, we can expect 919H and either latest 991 or Cayman.
Well, you sir called 3 possibilities, each one for a respective group (gr.1, gr.3 and gr.4) ;)

If they include the 919 they'll have to also include the current R18. VAG won't want the 919 appearing to have the same performance as a 5 year old R18. Nor the 2010 Pug for that matter, of which they have no control.

I figure that for years PD was well aware of EA’s contract ending this year and, if they have any interest on Porsches at all, they’d had some earlier date agreement on terms of licensing and were already working on the cars to be included in the game. 3D scanning for the graphics model is easy. As for the virtual engine of every car I guess all companies have some general model for each category, FWD, RWD, AWD, solid rear axle, transaxle, suspension type, McPherson, A arms, and they adjust the parameters, gravity center position, polar moments, engine power and torque curves, response to throttle inputs, stopping distances, weight, aerodynamic coefficient, according the car they are modeling and how complex their virtual model is. As they already have the Ruffs, and some prototypes similar to 917, 962 Porsches, the Sauber C9, Mazda 768, Minolta, Toyota, Nissan, shouldn’t be very hard for them to adjust some versions of these cars. Who could tell it’s a C9, or a Mazda 768 if looks like and sounds like a 917 or a 962 ? Not many of us, if any, could contest that could we ? I compared Sauber C9 in GT6, Asset Corsa and Project Cars, all quite different from each other. Which one is close to the real thing ? I risk to say that any driver who had his hands on the real thing will reply: None of them !!!

VAG's reputation is going down the drain at the moment. I see this as a logical move by PR people such as Mr. Hornung, to try and save some of it.

I hope not. Like I'd be pleased if PD got their hands on the license, but I don't want them to be dicks and hold the license for themselves. I would like to see some Porsches in Forza that don't require $30 extra to have them.
Ya but Forza already had Porches. It's PD's turn to have a run. All we've ever had was Ruff and those didn't even have an interior.

Porsche no longer exclusive to EA?

Now hopefully they will be available from the get go in future Forza Games :D

and perhaps find their way into the likes of Gran Turismo and Project Cars.

Guess Rufs will become less common in games now.

Ofcourse this is where our wish gets corrupted now.

EA no longer owns the Porsche license.

They just own Ferrari instead :P

All we've ever had was Ruff and those didn't even have an interior.
hqdefault.jpg

They just own Ferrari instead
I know it is sarcasm, but Ferrari bailed on EA a long time ago.

If licenses for manufacturers become "turns", where only one publisher has access at a time, the genre will suffer.

I don't think it was the intent. T10 had to work with EA to get Porsche into FM in the first place. Now the situation has changed to where they cut out the middleman, literally.

I have been thinking about this to a greater extent. Let's be honest- Elctronic Arts hasn't done anything better than "Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed" as the best showcase and usage of their Porsche license. Most of the other stuff was just to have people ugly up Porsches with all kinds of mods and kits and stuff. Oh, and to illegally street race Porsches in NFS games. I was even surprised Turn 10 was able to use Porsches for their Forza Motorsport series.

I have been on GTPlanet since 2003. One of the primary complaints people have had over the Gran Turismo series while I've been here was the lack of companies like Porsche in the GT series. Either that, or people think Ruf is either a replacement for Porsche. Almost as if to say Polyphony Digital tried to get Porsche but have to settle for Ruf instead. You know, this was almost the same problem like when SEGA had the Ferarri license. But guess what car company debuted in Gran Turismo HD followed by GTPSP, GT5, GT6, and in pictures of GT Sport? Right- Ferrari. I've always hated the presumption that racing games can be made or broken based on just available cars. By that logic and around its time, that is like saying "Driving Emotion Type-S" is better than "Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec" only because it has Ferrari and Porsche unlike GT3.

This could very well be a game-changer to include Porsche in their games. If Polyphony Digital got its hands on Porsche, you know they are going to utilize it as best as possible. I still think the gaming gold standard of Porsche in gaming is "Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed." I would even go as far to say that Forza has done quite well utilizing Porsche despite EA's monopoly of the Porsche license. In recent years, a Ferrari lover like myself grew to further appreciate Porsche. I now love Porsche more than I ever have. I tend to see lots of Cayennes and Panameras on the road on weekends, and I would love the opportunity to drive Porsches in games. Let's not forget Porsche's illustrious racing history. Being able to race their hybrid LMP would be a total joy. Even before then, nothing like the classic 917 and 962 Porsches. I absolutely love the 550A Spyder. So in other words, I await the opportunity to race more Porsches in more games.

This is a blow to the evil empire of Electronic Arts. Perhaps a much needed one that benefits lots of other developers wanting to possibly add Porsche to racing games.

If they include the 919 they'll have to also include the current R18. VAG won't want the 919 appearing to have the same performance as a 5 year old R18. Nor the 2010 Pug for that matter, of which they have no control.

Sure they do, get rid of it. Or rework the classes in the time this is being delayed. They clearly have the ability to get Toyota, so if they did get the 919 I agree they must get the 2016 or at worst 15 R18.

I figure that for years PD was well aware of EA’s contract ending this year and, if they have any interest on Porsches at all, they’d had some earlier date agreement on terms of licensing and were already working on the cars to be included in the game.

How? I'm finding it hard to understand how their is this great foresight...

I don't think it was the intent. T10 had to work with EA to get Porsche into FM in the first place. Now the situation has changed to where they cut out the middleman, literally.

I was referring to the implication it's Polyphony's "turn". It shouldn't be any dev's; an exclusive contract with any marque hurts the genre, not helps it.

I was referring to the implication it's Polyphony's "turn". It shouldn't be any dev's; an exclusive contract with any marque hurts the genre, not helps it.

Exactly, and I think if people need understanding of this further, look at what it's done in regards to F1. How it's only helped alienate fans and mods who enjoy the series, but the series doesn't care for them doing it outside the exclusive licensed game.

How can l be happy to hear that Porsche is coming to GT and yet not give a damn about this confirmation?

Two (at least) ways...

First, l care more about Ferrari than Porsche. I bought into the Forza franchise, thrise, just to drive Ferrari cars. And l enjoyed doing so emmensely. The Porsche name brand l can simply do without.

Second, it's guaranteed that whatever number of Porsches or Ferraris they produce for GT7, it will still be a number of cars missing from the roster. How the hell does PD and Kaz overlook the F50/GT?

I'm looking forward to reading all things great about GT7 in these pages. You guys are wonderful!

But l won't pay a dime for down load content! Playing that game with MicroSoft was insulting in every way imaginable ;(

Sure they do, get rid of it. Or rework the classes in the time this is being delayed. They clearly have the ability to get Toyota, so if they did get the 919 I agree they must get the 2016 or at worst 15 R18.

How? I'm finding it hard to understand how their is this great foresight...
Try a little harder, you can figure by yourself.

I'm curious as well. Unless Porsche just told them (which probably wouldn't have been kosher for the EA deal as it was happening, ane I don't think PD draws that much water that they would have been the only ones told), how would PD have known years in advance that Porsche was going to end their two decade long contract with EA last week?

That looks to me more like it's a picture from the Porsche website. Really, I've seen photographs on a similar style from there before.

I hope Kaz was sitting by the computer all night, waiting for the clock to strike 12 midnight, and snatch the Porsche licence before anyone else gets their crummy little hands on the licence.

As a consumer, why would you want anyone to have an exclusive license for anything? It harms you and every other consumer. As a consumer you should be hoping every company that wants to license something at least has the ability to do so.

I figure that for years PD was well aware of EA’s contract ending this year and, if they have any interest on Porsches at all, they’d had some earlier date agreement on terms of licensing and were already working on the cars to be included in the game. 3D scanning for the graphics model is easy. As for the virtual engine of every car I guess all companies have some general model for each category, FWD, RWD, AWD, solid rear axle, transaxle, suspension type, McPherson, A arms, and they adjust the parameters, gravity center position, polar moments, engine power and torque curves, response to throttle inputs, stopping distances, weight, aerodynamic coefficient, according the car they are modeling and how complex their virtual model is. As they already have the Ruffs, and some prototypes similar to 917, 962 Porsches, the Sauber C9, Mazda 768, Minolta, Toyota, Nissan, shouldn’t be very hard for them to adjust some versions of these cars. Who could tell it’s a C9, or a Mazda 768 if looks like and sounds like a 917 or a 962 ? Not many of us, if any, could contest that could we ? I compared Sauber C9 in GT6, Asset Corsa and Project Cars, all quite different from each other. Which one is close to the real thing ? I risk to say that any driver who had his hands on the real thing will reply: None of them !!!

How would you even know this or confirm this? Its a fact that Kaz has constantly said he wants Porsche, but I don't think he (or anyone else outside of EA) were aware of this long before the past few days. For years? How many times have people thought it was ending a year only for it to be renewed? I'm more inclined to think all the devs were likely expectng it again (because its EA).

Doubt it, Nowhere is it mentioned that its exclusive and I doubt Formula E want to limit their presence to one company.

My reaction when I saw this:
grumpy-cat-says-good-1440109287.jpg

This is LONG overdue if you ask me and it was about time it finally happened. I am glad other games will be able to use Porsche's now and I hope to see them in GTS someday. So much I could say about this right now, but I'll just leave like this. Good news indeed!

Like I said before, if anyone needs a reminder of Electronic Arts' best usage of the Porsche license is, I strongly recommend you get the PC version of "Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed." This is honestly the best EA has done with their Porsche license.

Back