Porsche will not be in GT5

• Thread starter Lain
  • 2,206 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he could if he took of the porsche badge and put a pd logo in its place and renamed it the Polyphony 9.9.6 GT 3-the dots and spaces would get around copyright laws!!

No, sadly not. The shape of the car would have to be different as well.

Yeah, but that's overall, you don't just change the shape of the wing mirror by 10%. Ultimately you are ending up with a car that isn't a Porsche 911 anyway, so you might as well just stick to Ruf that not only bypasses any issue regarding shape in connection with Ruf models but means you are getting a real car as well.

Maybe he could if he took of the porsche badge and put a pd logo in its place and renamed it the Polyphony 9.9.6 GT 3-the dots and spaces would get around copyright laws!!

Dave A-Although the car only needs to be changed by 10% for it to be legal.

If it's obviously intended to be a Porsche in a game that mostly includes real vehicles, i think Porsche would definitely sue PD.

PD already ticked Porsche off when they tried to slip in a 996 GT3 for GT3's release without both parties reaching a final agreement.

Trying that again could possibly axe Porsche from the GT series for good.

While I know everyone else beat me to it, here's the problem I see with this:

1. Anyone who knows how to connect the dots will easily figure out that there is something fishy about that name in particular(which vaguely resembles a 911 name) being spaced(more then likely, Porsche themselves), assuming thats the name they'd would go with.

2. What about the rest of the car itself? How are they gonna pull off getting a Porsche car that other then a name change, its basically a unregistered and unlicensed Porsche if it doesn't have any huge and distinct changes to it?

While I applaud the cleverness involved with your idea, they way it would be executed would be less then favorable for PD and could actually really screw things up.

I agree, it would be great to get Porsche ofcourse, but it's not like we arn't gettin 950+ other cars in the game anyway without them. Of thoes 950+ cars, plenty are sports and performance cars, and with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti and McLaren amongst the top end of the tree Porsche wouldn't be anything more than a nice addition. Unless your a die hard Porsce fan mind.

Sorry if it was answered before, but if we have the Super GT license don't we get automatycly the rights to some gt300 porsche cars ? Like it was with mclaren by bmw/merc?

Sorry if it was answered before, but if we have the Super GT license don't we get automatycly the rights to some gt300 porsche cars ? Like it was with mclaren by bmw/merc?

No. Porsches in SGT are run by private teams, so the license doesn't automatically cover them like it would works manufacturers. Porsches have been in JGTC since 1994, and yet we've never seen one in GT despite seeing most many other JGTC cars.

No. Porsches in SGT are run by private teams, so the license doesn't automatically cover them like it would works manufacturers. Porsches have been in JGTC since 1994, and yet we've never seen one in GT despite seeing most many other JGTC cars.

But we didn't have the super gt license then.

SuperGT may not license the manufacturer copyrights though. The difference with the McLaren F1 example is that was a factory BMW entry and the SLR McLaren is likely property of Mercedes, with the "McLaren" name tagged on like "AMG" (I realise McLaren essentially made the car, this is probably why they are looking to breaking that partnership).
SuperGT don't own the rights to the cars and I imagine the teams are possibly restricted with their licensing. Its a bit of a grey area basically.

Spot on 👍. But to expand on this, when a race team joins a race series it's common for the team entering to sign the rights to the specific car thier entereing in that spec and with that livery over to the race series, the hitch is that only works teams can do this. A privateer can't sign over a car that they themselves don't have the rights to in the first place, so privateer teams are never included when a games company licenses a race series. If you look back to the original ToCA games that covered the BTCC, we only ever got the manufacturers works teams and we didn't get any of the privateer cars like the Team Dynamics cars or that 306 that never came close to winning.

Not exactly. Series licenses don't extend to cars, they're seperate. The Team Porsches could probably be accessed (assuming the car itself is built by the team, not by the Manufacterer). Also, notice the Mclaren F1 from GT4 was the "BMW Mclaren F1 GTR". That happened due to the fact that BMW Motorsport developed it.

Not quite, if you buy a Porsche and strip it and re-build it as a race car, it is still a Porsche, it's just a Porsche you have re-built and modified. Licenses can take many different forms, ultimately it depends on the contracts the race teams sign when they join the race series. It is common practice (in major racing series anyway) that factory teams extend the rights to representation for the car being entered (sometimes exclusively) to the racing series. This cannot be done by a private team because they don't own the cars rights to sign them over in the first place. If you have a car that you bought or built then you do not own the legal rights to that cars representation. The manufacturer still does, so private teams are entered on different terms to manufacturer teams, particularly where car rights are concerned.

The BMW McLaren was officially a factory team and it was a legal issue/agreement between BMW and McLaren's relationship over the car that provided that loop hole. But that does not extend to every racing car built by someone other than the original manufacturer, PD tried that track way back in GT3 with the Nomad team Diablo from JGTC, but that bit them on the arse a bit and they got into trouble because the car was still legally a Lamborghini, and they didn't have Lamborghini's permission to use it.

whats the deal about porsches anyway? There are sooo many great cars already in the game... i dont miss porsche at all..

Because they are widely regarded as some the best cars in the world?

They are one of the worlds biggest manufacturers of race cars and have won many races?

It kind of sucks to have such an awesome racing game without one of the most iconic brands in racing.

Porsches are also overrated-by a lot, they are good cars but Ferrrari Aston Martin Lamborghini are definatetly superior.

Because they are widely regarded as some the best cars in the world?
They are one of the worlds biggest manufacturers of race cars and have won many races?

Well said, I like porsches as much as ferraris, and I'm sure others think the same. Porsches are famous, appealing and unique cars(Boxer twinturbo engines, RR layout for the 911s, the fabulous Carrera GT, awesome styling IMO, a lot of famous racers like 917,956,962,936 and many others that I can't even name ), a game which intends to be the car encyclopedia cannot waste them.

I'm glad to see that everyone is getting used to the idea that we will not see porsches in GT5, but we can certainly expect them for GT6.

finnracer-> Porsche, overrated!? Even after with all the achievments throughout the years? I see Gumpert Apollo or the Vector M12 as overrated machines compared to almost every Porsche existed. Its only lately that Porsche has been diluted a bit with their large car/SUV offerings (I'm typing about you, Panamera and Cayenne). Porsche always defied the logic of their 911 iterations, that amazed me the most. :)

Porsches are also overrated-by a lot, they are good cars but Ferrrari Aston Martin Lamborghini are definatetly superior.

Meh, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Ferrari may have a call on being on a similar level to Porsche as they too have a long history or producing both outstanding road cars and successful racing cars.

But Aston hardly did anything in racing for 50 years and even now only do a limited amount, and only then through 3rd parties. Lamborghini have virtually no racing pedigree whatsoever.

IN addition to producing more critically aclaimed sports cars than any other manufacturer (the Boxster, Caymen, 997, GT3/RS, Turbo, GT2 are all recognised as best in class or right near the very top), Porsche have one of, if not THE (hard to measure as they don't run F1) most successful racing pedigrees out there... no other manufacturer has the breath and length of motorsports involvement Porsche has.

It's a shame that GT5 won't have Porsche for license reasons... but until it does, it will never be complete... Porsche are too iconic to be missing.

Not quite, if you buy a Porsche and strip it and re-build it as a race car, it is still a Porsche, it's just a Porsche you have re-built and modified. Licenses can take many different forms, ultimately it depends on the contracts the race teams sign when they join the race series. It is common practice (in major racing series anyway) that factory teams extend the rights to representation for the car being entered (sometimes exclusively) to the racing series. This cannot be done by a private team because they don't own the cars rights to sign them over in the first place. If you have a car that you bought or built then you do not own the legal rights to that cars representation. The manufacturer still does, so private teams are entered on different terms to manufacturer teams, particularly where car rights are concerned.

So cars like this were nothing more then rebuilt Porsches?

gt_r06_p_4.jpg

Thought it was something built from the ground up.

I don't know that specific car, it's all about if the car is still legally a Porsche. If it has a Porsche registration number on it, it's a Porsche. There's no other way around it, it's how the car is identified legally. You can't just buy a car, modify it and then claim to own the all the rights to that car, the licensed manufacturer does. 90+% of sports and GT racing cars are modified road cars, the final 10% are made up mostly of GT prototypes and then a small fraction are silhouettes. I can't tell you if that car is a silhouette or not, but if it is then you are digressing because a privateer silhouette wouldn't be a Porsche, it might resemble the outward appearence of a Porsche to a certain extent but it would not be a Porsche. Unless ofcourse it was built around a Porsche chassis, but then it is a based on a road car that was in all probablitliy, licensed to Porsche. At the end of the day the point I'm making is that only the factory teams ina race series ever sign the rights to thier cars representation over to the series, other teams cannot do that.

I don't know that specific car, it's all about if the car is still legally a Porsche. If it has a Porsche registration number on it, it's a Porsche. There's no other way around it, it's how the car is identified legally. You can't just buy a car, modify it and then claim to own the all the rights to that car, the licensed manufacturer does. 90+% of sports and GT racing cars are modified road cars, the final 10% are made up mostly of GT prototypes and then a small fraction are silhouettes. I can't tell you if that car is a silhouette or not, but if it is then you are digressing because a privateer silhouette wouldn't be a Porsche, it might resemble the outward appearence of a Porsche to a certain extent but it would not be a Porsche. Unless ofcourse it was built around a Porsche chassis, but then it is a based on a road car that was in all probablitliy, licensed to Porsche. At the end of the day the point I'm making is that only the factory teams ina race series ever sign the rights to thier cars representation over to the series, other teams cannot do that.

I refer to it (and some others) as a Porsche since it resembles one(not sure what else to call it really other then "A porsche lookalike"), kind of like that Silhouette DHG Ford GT that used to race in Super GT but wasn't built (or commissioned) by Ford. I'm saying that if they aren't built by Porsche, then perhaps they could be included just without the Porsche badge (assuming the legal documents don't state that it is one or was originally one).

Superior in what way? The GT3 RS accomplishes what those cars can do for less money. At $99k, it's one of the best performance bargains out there.

The 997 Turbo has the performance pedigree that matches those cars and is more liveable in day to day driving. It's always been considered the benchmark for useability when judging super cars.

The 911 has been considered to be the targeted benchmark for decades now by manufacturers wanting to build a great sports car.

So cars like this were nothing more then rebuilt Porsches?

gt_r06_p_4.jpg

Thought it was something built from the ground up.

:yuck:

I hate what they do to the European cars to make them run in SGT. I really dislike all those boxy aero parts they tack on in that series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back