Porsche will not be in GT5

• Thread starter Lain
  • 2,206 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
:yuck:

I hate what they do to the European cars to make them run in SGT. I really dislike all those boxy aero parts they tack on in that series.

Because of the strict aerodynamic restrictions in FIA GT1, GT2 etc. The SuperGT cars like this are probably faster around a circuit than the ones which are very similar to the stock cars in shape.

Also, the fact there are restrictions in place in just about all types of GT racing, cars must be based on a production car with a minimum number of cars produced. This causes problems with cars that are essentially built from the ground up, they can't race unless linked to a production car to which they must loosely base its appearance on. Manufacturers can get around this by building purpose built race cars and putting them into production, but the FIA clamped down on that in the late 90s too, which led to the downfall of the GT1 class at Le Mans.

SuperGT has looser restrictions, it focuses on power and weight and this leads to SuperGT cars being entirely different from the road going versions. Look at the Nissan GTR from recent seasons, it bears only a slight visual resemblance to the stock car and as far as i'm aware, has all different parts including engine, chassis etc.

Superior in what way? The GT3 RS accomplishes what those cars can do for less money. At $99k, it's one of the best performance bargains out there.

The 997 Turbo has the performance pedigree that matches those cars and is more liveable in day to day driving. It's always been considered the benchmark for useability when judging super cars.

The 911 has been considered to be the targeted benchmark for decades now by manufacturers wanting to build a great sports car.
[/B]

But then again a Nissan GTR does everything a 997 Turbo does at half the price and cars like the lotus exige 260 easily do 98% of the things a GT3 RS can do.

But then again a Nissan GTR does everything a 997 Turbo does at half the price and cars like the lotus exige 260 easily do 98% of the things a GT3 RS can do.

Go and drive a GTR & compare it to a modern Porsche 997 Turbo or the GT3RS. The GTR is a sterile and boring drive compared to the Porsches.

It reminds me of the technological 959 when compared to the more pure F40.

But still the question remains, how is Porsche over rated in comparison to the Ferraris, Astons & Lamborghinis?

And in regards to the SGT 911.

Because of the strict aerodynamic restrictions in FIA GT1, GT2 etc. The SuperGT cars like this are probably faster around a circuit than the ones which are very similar to the stock cars in shape.

Also, the fact there are restrictions in place in just about all types of GT racing, cars must be based on a production car with a minimum number of cars produced. This causes problems with cars that are essentially built from the ground up, they can't race unless linked to a production car to which they must loosely base its appearance on. Manufacturers can get around this by building purpose built race cars and putting them into production, but the FIA clamped down on that in the late 90s too, which led to the downfall of the GT1 class at Le Mans.

SuperGT has looser restrictions, it focuses on power and weight and this leads to SuperGT cars being entirely different from the road going versions. Look at the Nissan GTR from recent seasons, it bears only a slight visual resemblance to the stock car and as far as i'm aware, has all different parts including engine, chassis etc.

I realize that Super GT is a silhouette prototype series, but I still reserve the right to dislike the multiple amount of boxy aero parts that they tack on.

Porsches are also overrated-by a lot, they are good cars but Ferrrari Aston Martin Lamborghini are definatetly superior.

I don't think all those 962 wins are over-rated at all, in fact I think people overlook Porsche's successes too much these days. Since 2000, they seem to have slipped a little in people's minds from being one of the elite marques (probably because of the Cayenne, etc).
They have come up with many innovations themselves and the 911 is easily the equal in image of any Ferrari (Aston and Lambo don't even come into it).

Sure they have stuck to the same designs a little too much from time to time, but there are plenty of different Porsche designs, and many of them were successful, in racing and in road cars.

Once upon a time, the most famous rivalry in motorsport was the Ferrari vs. Porsche rivalry at Le Mans and in sportscars. Ferrari vs. McLaren or Peugeot vs. Audi are pathetic in comparison.

IN addition to producing more critically aclaimed sports cars than any other manufacturer (the Boxster, Caymen, 997, GT3/RS, Turbo, GT2 are all recognised as best in class or right near the very top), Porsche have one of, if not THE (hard to measure as they don't run F1) most successful racing pedigrees out there... no other manufacturer has the breath and length of motorsports involvement Porsche has.

It's a shame that GT5 won't have Porsche for license reasons... but until it does, it will never be complete... Porsche are too iconic to be missing.
I'm sorry, but trying to name all the different 911 models as individual sports car is just silly. The 911 itself is a sports car already. Trying to build it to individual markets doesn't mean it's suddenly 12 different sports cars.

That's like saying Chevrolet makes more sports cars than any American company (Corvette, Corvette GS, Corvette Z06, Corvette ZR1), when it's all still just 1 actual sports car in different trims.

I'm sorry, but trying to name all the different 911 models as individual sports car is just silly. The 911 itself is a sports car already. Trying to build it to individual markets doesn't mean it's suddenly 12 different sports cars.

That's like saying Chevrolet makes more sports cars than any American company (Corvette, Corvette GS, Corvette Z06, Corvette ZR1), when it's all still just 1 actual sports car in different trims.

Perhaps, but each model has a very well defined purpose rather than just having more power. And the performance spread from base 997 through to GT2 is massive... a base 997 is not a competitor for a Gallardo or a 430 for example (either on performance or price) but a GT2 or turbo is.

Go and drive a GTR & compare it to a modern Porsche 997 Turbo or the GT3RS. The GTR is a sterile and boring drive compared to the Porsches.
Oh, so you've driven both cars, too?
Perhaps, but each model has a very well defined purpose rather than just having more power. And the performance spread from base 997 through to GT2 is massive... a base 997 is not a competitor for a Gallardo or a 430 for example (either on performance or price) but a GT2 or turbo is.
That doesn't change the fact they're all 911s at heart in different trims just like the Corvette. A Corvette can't hold anything against a Lamborghini, but the ZR1 becomes more than a match.

As far as I see it, Porsche only offers 3 sports cars, 4 if you want to knock the Panamera in as a sports sedan. That's as much as Ferrari, imo.

Oh, so you've driven both cars, too?

That doesn't change the fact they're all 911s at heart in different trims just like the Corvette. A Corvette can't hold anything against a Lamborghini, but the ZR1 becomes more than a match.

As far as I see it, Porsche only offers 3 sports cars, 4 if you want to knock the Panamera in as a sports sedan. That's as much as Ferrari, imo.

W-T-F-

Z06

http://fastestlaps.com/car4571c3c67224f.html

Willow Springs

5. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 1:32.06 ´05 513 / 1437.3 Torque.TV
6. Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 1:32.47 ´07 530 / 1520 Steve Millen

He's talking about the base Corvette in that highlighted bit, he'll probably be gratefull for your post though because it has only strenthened his point ;).

I'm pretty sure the GT3 RS costs around $120K here in the states. But don't quote me on that.

He's talking about the base Corvette in that highlighted bit, he'll probably be gratefull for your post though because it has only strenthened his point ;).
Can always count on you, Dave. 👍
I'm pretty sure the GT3 RS costs around $120K here in the states. But don't quote me on that.
I think the old one, yes. New one retails $133K. :scared:

I bought a t-shirt yesterday for 10 bucks and tonight i dreamed about it was 100 bucks, plus i dreamed about a GT Porsche DLC trailer (no joke).

I actually still have hopes, but i wont be disappointed if they're not in the game cause I know chances are little.

99k!!!:drool:

Remind me to move to America :indiff:

That thing in Aus would cost well over 300 grand :(

My apologies, my memory got the price mixed up with the old GT3 (which was $99k), the new one is $112k. The RS obviously costs a little more.

But if you've got the money, it's still a bargain compared to the Ferraris & Lambos out there.

McLaren,

Go back and read his original quote. He said "each one is at the top or very near the top of its class." It is true that a base 997 competes with a different class of car than a GT3, or a Turbo or a GT2.

He never said they were to be considered individual sports cars or models.

I reckon Codies will get Porsche, for Grid 2.How that licence stops PD, from getting Porsche onboard i'll probably never know.

Don't understand the persons that says that there enough cars in gt5, and that Porsche will not be a real addition to the game. I think Porsche can give just an extra experience as it propose a other driving experience.
What make Porsche(and Ruf) so unique is that it's the only brand that offers a RR layout with that much power (i expect the original beetle in gt5 as it was already in GT4) and this gives the cars a different driving style then the MR and FR. that's
why i'd love to have Porsche in the game, plus off-course all the legendary race cars and super cars...

Last edited:
I reckon Codies will get Porsche, for Grid 2.How that licence stops PD, from getting Porsche onboard i'll probably never know.
It's not Codemasters that have the Porsche license and it's not Codemasters that are stopping PD from using Porsche. It's EA, EA have held an exclusive license with Porsche since the 90's, their relationship is pretty good and Porsche have granted EA the power to choose who to sub-let the license to and who not to. So basically for any other company, Turn 10, Codemasters, PD etc, they have to negotiate with EA to use the Porsche license. It's a pretty unique position EA are in, but sadly they don't like to play ball with Sony and since Sony own PD EA will not give PD access to the Porsche license. It's EA flexing thier muscles because they've had a few spats with Sony in recent years and there has been a stand off or two over various things between the companies.

Don´t understand why EA acts like a bunch of idiots.
Sony and Nissan have a really close relationship but they were nice enough to give a license to Turn10. (GT-R that came with the first DLC for Forza3 i believe)

EA wont lose any money by not handing out sub-licenses to all other games. infact they might make some money by doin that.

Sony and Nissan have a really close relationship but they were nice enough to give a license to Turn10. (GT-R that came with the first DLC for Forza3 i believe)

EA wont lose any money by not handing out sub-licenses to all other games. infact they might make some money by doin that.
Not the same, Sony didn't allow Turn 10 to use the Nissan license because Sony don't have an exclusive Nissan license. PD have a close relationship with Nissan but no one has an exclusive license for Nissan. The GT-R wasn't excluded from Forza 3's launch because they couldn't get the licensing, Turn 10 claim it was because Nissan didn't want the car to be modified in the game at all which is rubbish. I personally think it was so Turn 10 could hold it back for DLC. Either way neither Sony or PD had anything to do with it. If Sony did have an exclusive license you can bet that they wouldn't let Turn 10 sub-let it, they'd have nothing to gain in the long run.

Last edited:

EA was more than willing to "sell" sony the license, they just asked for a ridiculous amount of $$$ that sony didn't want to pay. Sony has nothing to do with nissan when it comes to licenses.

EA was more than willing to "sell" sony the license, they just asked for a ridiculous amount of $$$ that sony didn't want to pay. Sony has nothing to do with nissan when it comes to licenses.

I suspect EA asked for a significantly larger amount in return for a sub-license than they gave to Turn10. Just to spite Sony. However, EA are well within their rights to demand more cash, so there is nothing PD can do about it if Sony arn't willing to front the cash.

I suspect EA asked for a significantly larger amount in return for a sub-license than they gave to Turn10. Just to spite Sony. However, EA are well within their rights to demand more cash, so there is nothing PD can do about it if Sony arn't willing to front the cash.

Microsoft forked over the $ for T10. It would be very stupid of EA to ask more than they did others. They don't want sony on heir bad side.

They already have Sony on thier bad side, EA and Sony are almost always in a showdown about one thing or another. EA is too big for a console manufacturer o not have making gmeas for them, in return EA likes to flex thier muscles. They try to influence a lot of things they have no real business trying to influence such as console features, if Sony want to bring ina feature that will mean more work from EA to implement or it could show their games up if not used etc the will demand Sony don't implement that feature of they will pull out of making PS3 games. The problem is EA feel that Sony needs them more than they need Sony, and they're probably right. This isn't official by the way, but a Sony insider pretty much spelt it out a couple of months ago. EA are aparently always looking to get one over Sony, I'm not sure what the root of the problem was, when the whole pissing contest started, but they have had a very agressive business stance for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back