Post a pic of your pet(s)!!

• Thread starter BlackZ28
  • 2,691 comments
Since it’s been getting quite warm here again and Summer is not too far, I’ve been working on designing a custom outdoor house for BunBuns.

She comes indoors to play and hangout for a few hours but usually not happy to stay in longer than that, unless it’s raining out or simply too hot. During summer (40-50C temps, 3-4 months), we just keep her in during the day and out by night, since she starts to scratch and meow constantly on the garden door to get out in the evening. I always feel bad as if I’ve jailed her indoors lol

She has the entire garden to herself and we set her bed, toys and sleeping mats on the table/chairs so she has a “main” space.

But since this indoor/outdoor arrangement seems to stress Buns, I’ve decided to get a custom outdoor house built for her that has an AC. I have been brainstorming and sketching what would be the best design. The issue I’m facing is the door design, if I put a flap, it’ll bring in a lot of hot air inside, if I put a proper door then Buns won’t have the freedom to get in and out as she pleases.

Buns is also a cat that likes multiple exits, and needs to have access to scope out the garden. A few intruder kitties seem to show up occasionally to try and take over her garden.

If anyone wants to help out with ideas or sketches for the house design, me and Buns would be very happy! 🥹 I’ve attached a photo of a simple design I came up with below.

TLDR: I need help designing an outdoor house for BunBuns.

03ed517a-26ae-458b-8f71-d4ab353bf14a.jpeg

IMG_1572.jpeg
IMG_1730.jpeg

Since it’s been getting quite warm here again and Summer is not too far, I’ve been working on designing a custom outdoor house for BunBuns.

She comes indoors to play and hangout for a few hours but usually not happy to stay in longer than that, unless it’s raining out or simply too hot. During summer (40-50C temps, 3-4 months), we just keep her in during the day and out by night, since she starts to scratch and meow constantly on the garden door to get out in the evening. I always feel bad as if I’ve jailed her indoors lol

She has the entire garden to herself and we set her bed, toys and sleeping mats on the table/chairs so she has a “main” space.

But since this indoor/outdoor arrangement seems to stress Buns, I’ve decided to get a custom outdoor house built for her that has an AC. I have been brainstorming and sketching what would be the best design. The issue I’m facing is the door design, if I put a flap, it’ll bring in a lot of hot air inside, if I put a proper door then Buns won’t have the freedom to get in and out as she pleases.

Buns is also a cat that likes multiple exits, and needs to have access to scope out the garden. A few intruder kitties seem to show up occasionally to try and take over her garden.

If anyone wants to help out with ideas or sketches for the house design, me and Buns would be very happy! 🥹 I’ve attached a photo of a simple design I came up with below.

View attachment 1339371

View attachment 1339362View attachment 1339363
Have you considered a small vinyl grow tent used for seedlings?

They have flap ‘doors’ and can be well insulated. A small usb ice blower contraption would keep it cool and wouldn’t require mains power.

1711122949797.jpeg

Obviously this one ^ has Velcro sealing flaps, but they could be removed from the central part and fixed at the top to provide effortless entry and exit.

View attachment 1339371

View attachment 1339362View attachment 1339363
Will she willingly stay in a catio that has screens and everything she likes to play with? If screened though, you might not be able to put in AC.

Will she willingly stay in a catio that has screens and everything she likes to play with? If screened though, you might not be able to put in AC.
Cats and screens aren’t a good combo. They get shredded pretty quickly.

Deluxe two story accommodation, complete with: upstairs entrance and exit via a shaded kitty balcony, suitable for surveying the area from an elevated position, spacious relaxing area in the upstairs bedroom - secluded from direct sun. A cantilevered floating staircase preserves the spacious feel of the ground floor, which features a beautiful full-width vista along the front and side of the property. Access to the ground floor via the corner area, providing a direct and visible exit in the event of an emergency yard intruder. For the owners convenience, the property is also furnished with a hinged roof, for cleaning and easy BunBuns retreival.

1711123457647.png

1711123467071.png

1711123473083.png

1711123477577.png

1711123483679.png

... I am procrastinating HARD, at work... can you tell.

Last edited:
Deluxe two story accommodation, complete with: upstairs entrance and exit via a shaded kitty balcony, suitable for surveying the area from an elevation position, spacious relaxing area in the upstairs bedroom - secluded from direct sun. A cantilevered floating staircase preserves the spacious feel of the ground floor, which features a beautiful full-width vista along the front and side of the property. Access to the ground floor via the corner area, providing a direct and visible exit in the event of an emergency yard intruder. For the owners convenience, the property is also furnished with a hinged roof, for cleaning and easy BunBuns retreival.

View attachment 1339424
View attachment 1339425
View attachment 1339426
View attachment 1339427
View attachment 1339428

You, sir, are a marvel. ;)

Do you think you could procrastinate me a ‘cat ladder’ with gentle angles for a 12x12ft wall?

You, sir, are a marvel. ;)

Do you think you could procrastinate me a ‘cat ladder’ with gentle angles for a 12x12ft wall?
Surprised you aren't going full cat mansion/dog house for when you make a mistake.

Surprised you aren't going full cat mansion/dog house for when you make a mistake.
I like to keep my cats as cats. They like the outdoors and one comes in at night time to sleep in the aircon. The other is not allowed in the house because he likes to spray. I am considering a cat tree thing for them to play with.

Cats run 10°c hotter than humans, so it’s not bother for them to be outside in the summer, and winter here isn’t really cold at all.

Have you considered a small vinyl grow tent used for seedlings?

They have flap ‘doors’ and can be well insulated. A small usb ice blower contraption would keep it cool and wouldn’t require mains power.

View attachment 1339420

Obviously this one ^ has Velcro sealing flaps, but they could be removed from the central part and fixed at the top to provide effortless entry and exit.
I've tried this last year and Buns tends to not go in it at all, she fears smaller spaces like this since she has been ambushed by tomcats in them before while she slept.
Deluxe two story accommodation, complete with: upstairs entrance and exit via a shaded kitty balcony, suitable for surveying the area from an elevated position, spacious relaxing area in the upstairs bedroom - secluded from direct sun. A cantilevered floating staircase preserves the spacious feel of the ground floor, which features a beautiful full-width vista along the front and side of the property. Access to the ground floor via the corner area, providing a direct and visible exit in the event of an emergency yard intruder. For the owners convenience, the property is also furnished with a hinged roof, for cleaning and easy BunBuns retreival.

View attachment 1339424
View attachment 1339425
View attachment 1339426
View attachment 1339427
View attachment 1339428

Holy... can I live in this? :lol:

This looks amazing, please procrastinate more at work. I'll definitely be forwarding this to the company who'll make the house. I'll try to negotiate with Buns if I can move in at the top floor, the hinged roof will come in handy when Buns will try to throw me out of her house.

Holy... can I live in this? :lol:

This looks amazing, please procrastinate more at work. I'll definitely be forwarding this to the company who'll make the house. I'll try to negotiate with Buns if I can move in at the top floor, the hinged roof will come in handy when Buns will try to throw me out of her house.
I was unaware she was that strong.

They sell sealed cat doors that require the cat to wear a collar that contains a microchip. It opens only when cat is near.
Keeps the neighbors cats out.
It’s better than the flap door style.
Just another option to look at if you’re building a structure.
Best of luck!

Just as a follow up thought, a little WiFi compatible thermometer could live in there too, you'd get a nifty little graph of the temperature in there, if that's a concern.

10 years isn't very much. Chipsie has been with me for nearly ten years and was an adult rescue, probably 2 years old at the time. I had to put Mocha down this January when it became obvious that she was having trouble walking without losing her back legs, and she's been with me since 2003, again as an adult rescue. She absolutely was feeling it, no longer able to jump up onto the sofa (I got one of those foam step things from the pet shop for her,) and she pretty much stopped eating somewhere around last Christmas. Not trying to put sadness out there, but my point is that cats can easily go to the mid-teens, at least.

10 years isn't very much. Chipsie has been with me for nearly ten years and was an adult rescue, probably 2 years old at the time. I had to put Mocha down this January when it became obvious that she was having trouble walking without losing her back legs, and she's been with me since 2003, again as an adult rescue. She absolutely was feeling it, no longer able to jump up onto the sofa (I got one of those foam step things from the pet shop for her,) and she pretty much stopped eating somewhere around last Christmas. Not trying to put sadness out there, but my point is that cats can easily go to the mid-teens, at least.
I’m hoping she’s got some more years, she lives a good life but the stress from the newcomer is wearing her out a bit. Still got all her teeth and her kidneys and liver are in ok shape. I worry about her mental health though. The ginger boy might have to be rehoused.

I didn’t recognise the user with your new avatar lol. It’s been a bike pic forever.

If they’re male and female, how do they get along?

The male here bullies my female and I just can’t convince him to be nice.
They're both males actually. The white one is 7 and the orange boy 4. The older one took the younger one under his wing within the first day of meeting him, when the orange one was only 3 weeks old. They have a father/son relationship at times, and a sibling relationship the other half of the time. I do have a female that I'm doing a slow introduction with, the white one is more assertive but not mean. The orange boy just wants to be her friend, but she was a street stray for 5 years and I just adopted her into the household in December so its going to be a long and slow process. She'll come around.

I honestly just think it depends on socialization, the white one has seen many many humans and lived with many many cats, indoors. They learn to co exist either by being friends or avoiding. It definitely takes many stern vocalizations for them to get it if they do get out of hand, but eventually, it always worked.

Last edited:
Back