Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,439 comments
Wow i've been gone forever but I'm on to Lexus IS300 5spd!!

1. When I got it

QaT566f.jpg

2. After 5 cans of spare plasti dip

836NPEB.jpg

3. Now (blurry cause camera broke)

DxSyWOD.jpg

Yes! Another IS300! :D Love the pearl white.

Do you know what caused the failure?
Bearing failed; input shaft warped. They said it has a brand new clutch in as well, but apparently, the shop who did it failed to add fluid. So, there's another cause.
Damn. The warranty should pay for everything and reimburse you, no?
Warranty is covering all the parts & labor for the transmission. I ordered 2 new sensors for the clutch, higher grade fluid, & part that eliminates the skip shift. I'm going to have them do a multi-point inspection once the car is back together.

Got a question.

So I had Saga's rear shocks replaced (at a steep $1k all said and done) Friday and wasn't looking at the interior. I look in the rear view mirror after parking and I find this.

20170211_150956.jpg 20170211_151008.jpg

What's the best material to clean that stuff off?
(Why is it even there? To do the rear shocks [and subwoofer for that matter], you have to lift the rear seat up. I'm not mad about it getting dirty; I just want clean.)

Got a question.

So I had Saga's rear shocks replaced (at a steep $1k all said and done) Friday and wasn't looking at the interior. I look in the rear view mirror after parking and I find this.

View attachment 627164 View attachment 627165

(Why is it even there? To do the rear shocks [and subwoofer for that matter], you have to lift the rear seat up. I'm not mad about it getting dirty; I just want clean.)

Tell the garage to clean it. I'd get ridiculed if I left a customer's car like that.

Got a question.

View attachment 627164 View attachment 627165

AMMONYC has some great tips. If you have access to one, a steam cleaner would work well.

Got a question.

Two comments; that is not okay and you should not have to clean it yourself. I wouldn't mind on a beater, I would mind on an LS with a light color interior.

Also, one really needs to learn wrenching and tinkering yourself owning a car like this. $1k on rear shocks is really unbearable in the long run on most of us' budgets. The beauty with second hand D segment cars is the depreciation - the problem is the running costs, which can be offset by doing the work yourself.

Also, one really needs to learn wrenching and tinkering yourself owning a car like this. $1k on rear shocks is really unbearable in the long run on most of us' budgets. The beauty with second hand D segment cars is the depreciation - the problem is the running costs, which can be offset by doing the work yourself.
Thanks for the advice, but don't think I didn't take any of this into consideration. The LS can get expensive once parts do start to break down; however, once it's dealt with, I don't have to worry about it for a long time. I took the car to Toyota being that it's closer to my campus (2 hours away from the nearest one and 4 hours away from the one close to my home) and I wouldn't have to deal with the more expensive Lexus service. There's quite a few LS owners that would take it to Toyota for services or independent mechanics. I haven't found an ind. mechanic to service my car yet nor do I have loads of time to find a trustworthy one that can work on my car while I'm at college. Even if I did find an ind., it's not like the prices for parts would be that much different. (The parts was $500 before taxes and I did look for the part via prices on lexussouthatlanta- would've been cut down to near $400 for OEM parts. However, it took 6 hours to replace the shocks which included a tire alignment and tire rebalance; the last two was above $100 itself. Will it be much different? Not enough for me.)

Certain things I can learn, but parts like the rear shocks that require that much time to do and the seats have to be move just to do it I'm just gonna let someone else handle it. I stalk the ClubLexus section for the LS; I haven't gone into the LS game blindfolded. (I didn't get to check the car out myself, so that's the only thing that was blind.)

Man I wish I had a better camera. The sunset was really vivid and looked beautiful.

IMG_20170212_181129.jpg

Getting closer to that eventual paint job. I've also been thinking about new rims. The ones it has now are plasticaps, and kind of gaudy ones at that. Maybe tri-spoke?

Man I wish I had a better camera. The sunset was really vivid and looked beautiful.
Its could be your camera or just the way it tried to compensate for the lighting. The car is in good light but the sky is too bright. If you point it at the sky more, focus, then while holding focus move it back to position. This forces the camera to adjust it's lighting to make the sky darker. The car would be darker but the sky would be as you want it. It can be hard to get right as you are no longer focusing fully on the subject but rather the background.

The sunset was really vivid and looked beautiful.

You can work it and lower the exposure. Work with with the whites and highlights -bring them down, bring the black up, lower the shadow and you should have a decent image. This is if you use an editing program.

If you have only a basic app or software you can take multiple shots. Get the right exposure for the sky and keeping the camera relatively in the same horizontal position, lower it and focus on the car.

Get a few shots of both, then place the sky with the right exposure into the photo of the car.

Its could be your camera or just the way it tried to compensate for the lighting. The car is in good light but the sky is too bright. If you point it at the sky more, focus, then while holding focus move it back to position. This forces the camera to adjust it's lighting to make the sky darker. The car would be darker but the sky would be as you want it. It can be hard to get right as you are no longer focusing fully on the subject but rather the background.

I took a few pictures doing what you detailed, but the car almost always came out near black while the sky was still too bright. It seems like my phone had a very difficult time in this environment, despite it having a decent exposure range. I also tried on a different device, but it had more trouble with the sky being too white.

You can work it and lower the exposure. Work with with the whites and highlights -bring them down, bring the black up, lower the shadow and you should have a decent image. This is if you use an editing program.

If you have only a basic app or software you can take multiple shots. Get the right exposure for the sky and keeping the camera relatively in the same horizontal position, lower it and focus on the car.

Get a few shots of both, then place the sky with the right exposure into the photo of the car.

I haven't actually thought about using an external program to edit my photos - might try that with my next photo. I know the default Windows Photos app has OK control over things like highlights and shadows, so I might experiment with that.

Although I would like to be able to compose the right scene at the time of capture, too.

View attachment 627514

Getting closer to that eventual paint job. I've also been thinking about new rims. The ones it has now are plasticaps, and kind of gaudy ones at that. Maybe tri-spoke?
I'd personally look for a set of factory alloys like these:
buick-rendezvous-2003-7.jpg

before going aftermarket. (That, and I don't like three spoke wheels myself, but to each his own).

I'd personally look for a set of factory alloys like these:
View attachment 627565
before going aftermarket. (That, and I don't like three spoke wheels myself, but to each his own).
I pondered getting this exact set of rims, actually. :P

However, I also played with the idea of getting some Aztek tri-spokes, like this:

ALY06545U.jpg

They are the same car underneath, so my thoughts were that the swap would be just as easy.

Latest Posts

Back