Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,443 comments
Some Volvo turbo wagon on film. Developed a gnarly exhaust rattle but it's not hurting anything so meh, I'll fix it when it's warm outside.

25558858137_29f0692d91_o.jpg

26559028628_0a0e27e32e_o.jpg

@ilikewaffles11 What's with these covered bridges?

There's a lot of them around where I live, they actually do a covered bridge tour around the area. There's around 6 within a 5 mile radius where I took these.

your Volvo's not the only one with an exhaust rattle!

I took my silencer off in the end.

Must be a Volvo thing? :P

For some reason mine started hitting the frame on the passenger side.

There's a lot of them around where I live, they actually do a covered bridge tour around the area. There's around 6 within a 5 mile radius where I took these.

Must be a Volvo thing? :P

For some reason mine started hitting the frame on the passenger side.
Normally it's a Suzuki thing. Or Toyota Aygo/107/C1 thing. I'm fairly sure mine has its original exhaust so it's done well to last 25 years. It just happens at this age thanks to corrosion.

So why do they build them covered instead of open? They are quite interesting, more because there are none on public roads here.

EDIT: Google search says to protect the timber structure they are made from. Makes sense.

Good choice *not* getting the RS, what with all the problems they've been having since launch!
Thought about it. The dealer even had a Stealth Grey but without the forged wheels. But between the harsher ride and having to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a while I decided on the ST instead. So far it's more than enough fun!

Thought about it. The dealer even had a Stealth Grey but without the forged wheels. But between the harsher ride and having to eat nothing but ramen noodles for a while I decided on the ST instead. So far it's more than enough fun!
A good choice since on the RS, the head gasket leaks and then the engine overheats and warps because of the weak engine block design. There's one example of it happening after 6000 miles! Not the greatest design...

I think the ST looks better anyway. Much more subtle.

Normally it's a Suzuki thing. Or Toyota Aygo/107/C1 thing. I'm fairly sure mine has its original exhaust so it's done well to last 25 years. It just happens at this age thanks to corrosion.

Subarus too :P

Mines been replaced but it's a custom DIY job, it just stops right before the axle. Figured it out last night, it has two rubber hangers on top holding it in place and the one slipped off, so no more rattle!

So why do they build them covered instead of open? They are quite interesting, more because there are none on public roads here.

EDIT: Google search says to protect the timber structure they are made from. Makes sense.

Actually, I never even really thought about it to be honest, but that makes sense.

A good choice since on the RS, the head gasket leaks and then the engine overheats and warps because of the weak engine block design. There's one example of it happening after 6000 miles! Not the greatest design...

I think the ST looks better anyway. Much more subtle.

Aren't they being recalled, anyway? Even if they're not I'm sure I read somewhere that owners are entitled to go to their dealer and have the job done at the dealer's/company's expense.

Aren't they being recalled, anyway? Even if they're not I'm sure I read somewhere that owners are entitled to go to their dealer and have the job done at the dealer's/company's expense.
True. Ford are supplying a modified head gasket. Whether it helps or not remains to be seen, and still doesn't solve the other issue; the engine block is still inherently weak. If it overheats it can warp. Hopefully this won't happen if the new head gasket is robust enough.

Hasn't been polished since last September either! Need to give it another going over. ;)
Looking good Katie. Those wheels really change the look of the car to be very unique.
Shouldn't need a polish so soon unless it's all scratched up from washing it. I'm sure you take good care when washing it though. :)

Looking good Katie. Those wheels really change the look of the car to be very unique.
Shouldn't need a polish so soon unless it's all scratched up from washing it. I'm sure you take good care when washing it though. :)

I got this Auto Finesse kit for my birthday in November so I'm looking for a chance to use that. It needs the clay bar for sure!

adb
Never thought a Panda could look this good :eek: Also great color

Thanks! The colour is definitely one of my favourite things about it.

doesn't solve the other issue; the engine block is still inherently weak.

Source?

When I read about this last time (3-4 months ago?) the general perception was that Ford was to replace the failed head gaskets with revised ones. There was speculation on what caused it: a badly machined surface will be one possible reason for a leaking HG. However per a Road and Track article (which is a great source, unlike Jalopnik and other crap car media) the head gasket problems apparently seem to be caused by 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang HGs mistakenly fitted to the Focus RSs.

Whether or not this is the correct or sole reason I do not know.. I do know this is the recall from Ford and nowhere does it state change of short block or complete long block:
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/Strat...ecall/Customer Satisfaction Program 17B32.pdf

Replacing head gasket or gasket and head if the head is warped. Eventual subsequent overheating from a blown head gasket may or may not warp a cylinder head, regardless of car. So.. Source on this 'inherently weak engine block' statement?

Source?

When I read about this last time (3-4 months ago?) the general perception was that Ford was to replace the failed head gaskets with revised ones. There was speculation on what caused it: a badly machined surface will be one possible reason for a leaking HG. However per a Road and Track article (which is a great source, unlike Jalopnik and other crap car media) the head gasket problems apparently seem to be caused by 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang HGs mistakenly fitted to the Focus RSs.

Whether or not this is the correct or sole reason I do not know.. I do know this is the recall from Ford and nowhere does it state change of short block or complete long block:
http://www.stratifiedauto.com/Stratified Downloads/RS HG Recall/Customer Satisfaction Program 17B32.pdf

Replacing head gasket or gasket and head if the head is warped. Eventual subsequent overheating from a blown head gasket may or may not warp a cylinder head, regardless of car. So.. Source on this 'inherently weak engine block' statement?
Basically the engine block uses an open deck design, so there are wells machined into the block surrounding the cylinders which fill with coolant, almost like a moat around a castle, or a water jacket. Great for keeping an engine cool under use, but makes it less strong under stress. Kind of like drilling holes in a car's chassis to save weight.

I found this video very interesting - skip to 5:15 for the bit on the engine block. I would - his voice gets annoying :D

Last edited:
Back