Post a pic of your real car

• Thread starter Sparxxx
  • 15,433 comments
Wasn't entirely sure where to post these, but figured it was suitable enough here. Took a vacation to Vermont to "get away" from things. Decided that part of my "goal" with the vacation would be to recreate Gran Turismo Scape locations with my own GTI. Did my best to recreate the angles, but the vegetation had changed a little, lighting isn't quite as similar, and my GTI is a later facelifted 7.5 four door and GT Sport has a pre-facelift two door.
gt_sport_vs_real_life__mt__equinox_downhill__by_medigoflame_de6o7u9-fullview.jpg

gt_sport_vs_real_life__mt__equinox_uphill__by_medigoflame_de6p1kt-fullview.jpg

gt_sport_vs_real_life__mt__equinox_side_lot__by_medigoflame_de6p1mo-fullview.jpg

gt_sport_vs_real_life__molly_stark_trail__by_medigoflame_de6jtak-fullview.jpg
Absolutely awesome. Before reading the post and looking closely at the pictures, I thought for sure the top picture was GT Sport.

Absolutely awesome. Before reading the post and looking closely at the pictures, I thought for sure the top picture was GT Sport.

The lighting and license plate definitely gives it away. :P

Bravo! Nice to see you were able to achieve this with your Golf especially matching the time of year. Vermont does have some beautiful scenery. Amazing how PD can blend the 3D models with a photograph so nicely.

I honestly didn't plan to match the same time of year with autumn as I was worried that other tourists (I know I was a tourist, but at least considerate of others on the road) hogging up the roads and locations. I originally was hoping to get out there around September (kids going back to school, no real foliage color changes, etc), but my work requires me to notify them a month in advance for when I want to take my vacation time. It was actually quite difficult for the Mount Equinox location as two of the three spots were in the middle of the roadway and people were coming up and down the mountain. I forgot my walkie talkies to use and tell my brother to move my car out of the way when traffic was coming. Thankfully it's easier to move the car around in GT Sport than real life. :lol:

That's simply amazing! 0_0
Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Amazing seems like an understatement. Save for a the sun visors I'd believe you if you told me the second pic was taken when the car was almost new.
Yeah, it's pretty nice. There are a few cracks on the dashboard, but I'm going to buy some alcantara to wrap it. I also have a MOMO Prototipo wheel that I'll be installing this weekend, so that'll help complete the interior even more.

Here's a better image of the cracks on the dash.

DSC00073dsad.JPG

The rear seats are in perfect condition too. The rear hatch/cargo needs a few things done to. I'll likely re-carpet it, but all it needs is some pins to fasten a loose piece of fabric.

Last edited:
20201020_174524.jpg

A really sad day to be honest. I'd sold the BMW to a colleague who needed an estate/station wagon for dog duties, and we both brought our cars to work on the same day. I felt mega guilty climbing into the Volvo after the Beemer had given 9 years great service :(.

122705655_3389417667950158_1860390637679053118_n.jpg

122661522_3826109977421105_8218515348934924310_n.jpg

122637453_2213807808763233_2404536492565513343_n.jpg

Did a proper job on the installation of this Momo then the damn car caught fire in the footwell where the wiring for the lights is :indiff: - I might not be able to drive this thing until Spring due to said issue. Winter in this thing would be too dangerous anyways, I was sliding through onramps unintentionally lol .. I had to use up the emergency extinguisher to put the fire out, but thankfully it was isolated in one spot... Ugh

Edit: Damage report

882534AB-744D-420E-8F45-670485EAC805.jpeg

8B350836-8ED7-498F-87DA-678AEE226243.jpeg

Last edited:
The 240 got some LED headlights. Huge difference compared to the old sealed beams.View attachment 967394

Decided to throw the winter tires on it too since I guess it is that time of the year....View attachment 967395

I'm still astonished you were able to find such a clean 240 in Ontario. I tried searching for years and all I found were diesel powered rust buckets.

Last edited:
I'm still astonished you were able to find such a clean 240 in Ontario. I tried searching for years and all I found were diesel powered rust buckets.
She isn't that perfect as she does have some rust on the bottom of the doors but she is cleaner than a lot of the 240's I've seen around. Also the only one I could find with the 4spd manual with the electric overdrive switch.
20200629_175505.jpg

The bottom of the door corners on this side is the worst of it. I'm hoping to fix that come next spring/summer.
She's sitting on the winters now so I can't wait to see what it's like in snow!
IMG_20201025_220011_818.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s a shot from my most recent test day to figure out the issues had in the previous event. Thankfully everything went to plan and ran solid so now it’s time to prep for the next event at NOLA Motorsports park!

Do you know what weight the car's at?

Do you know what weight the car's at?
Yeah it’s about 3700. There’s still a few key areas to drop some weight though thankfully. Handling wise you really don’t notice the weight though surprisingly. EDIT: Here’s the areas the car can drop weight from still: exhaust(still stainless steel with a set of mufflers), stock sunroof replaced with carbon fiber, mirrors to smaller carbon door mirrors which is something we’re doing this week actually, and a few other areas. The goal is to get the car down to atleast 3600, maybe 3500.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s about 3700. There’s still a few key areas to drop some weight though thankfully. Handling wise you really don’t notice the weight though surprisingly. EDIT: Here’s the areas the car can drop weight from still: exhaust(still stainless steel with a set of mufflers), stock sunroof replaced with carbon fiber, mirrors to smaller carbon door mirrors which is something we’re doing this week actually, and a few other areas. The goal is to get the car down to atleast 3600, maybe 3500.

Carbon fibre bonnet and trunk, and plexiglass glass swap of all windows.

Though I think those would be the last items on a weight savings list, as they're the most expensive to do.

Also the only one I could find with the 4spd manual with the electric overdrive switch.

And just like that, my level of astonishment has risen tenfold :lol:

Great find, seriously!

Last edited:
Carbon fibre bonnet and trunk, and plexiglass glass swap of all windows.

Though I think those would be the last items on a weight savings list, as they're the most expensive to do.
Class rules doesn’t allow for windows to be swapped from OEM material unfortunately. I actually completely forgot about the carbon trunk and hood though:lol:. Those are actually going to go in the car too this winter and should save a good amount of weight. There’s a company that makes a true carbon hood and trunk but we might get something custom made that’s a little thinner and a lot lighter. Still not sure which direction I’ll end up going yet though since I have to find out the exact weights of the ones available to just buy. According to the website they’re less than half the weight of stock but if I can get something made that’s lighter I’ll just go that route.

Last edited:
Thanks! Didn't think I'd enjoy driving such a slow little brick. I can definitely understand the cult following now!

My college roommate had a 1975 244DL, which was a GREAT car!!! 4-speed, 4-wheel discs (a BIG deal back in the day,) and met smog without catalytic converters so it didn't need unleaded gas, which cost more. Agile as heck, we even autocrossed it successfully!

Kind of odd to say it met smog regulations while still using lead in the fuel...

Trying to squeeze out as many days as I can with my daily driver until the weather says I can't. All I know is that this cold weather and boost make a perfect combo that the summer tires don't like....View attachment 967416

I've been gone a really long time, great to see you still have this Vette. :)

Back