Post a video of your real car

• Thread starter Ibonibo
  • 228 comments
Drag car
37003037466_e228e31188_c.jpg

Track car
37191532041_b120cce585_c.jpg

37143852296_4fa45bda2c_c.jpg

It's been a long time since I posted here. It was a slow start to the season for me with 2 spring track events cancelled due to a busy work schedule. And some technical issues with the GoPro and telemetry were causing some headaches when I was on track. I'm really going to have to invest in an AIM Solo over the winter. Harry's Lap timer is a nice, cheap and functional alternative but once you actually start 'working' with the data and using it to try and improve, you realize that the acquisition rate on phones just isn't sufficient to build a truly accurate and comparative picture when you're studying the data. It's on the list. I just wish the Solo DL and smartycam combo weren't so outrageously priced.

I also moved up to Proxes RRs this year. That's been a bit of a mixed bag. My first experience with RRs over the RA1s was a scrubbed set I mounted up at Mont Tremblant. First day, first session, cold track, when you know to be smart and you know not to push and I did exactly what I shouldn't do. And it was a revelation. After two laps to get them up to temperature, I suddenly felt grip and traction and response like never before. So you start rolling onto the throttle a bit earlier, turning in a bit harder and sharper, braking just a bit later, and the car is doing everything you ask of it and more. Next lap, reassess, earlier, tighter, later. Again, reassess, push harder. By the end of the session I was exploring the limits and doing a double take on the lap timer, realizing I had just gone > 2 full seconds quicker around this track than I ever had before. I realized at that point that I had so much grip that I needed to make some suspension adjustments. The next session I went out and went a half second quicker still. And then, the magic slowly went away.

That set was scrubbed and I bought them used, but after 5-8 heat cycles, it's pretty clear that they start falling off. In a single weekend, I ended up cording two tires. I immediately ordered another set (ka-ching $$$) and alternated between the RA1s and RRs at my next two events and THAT set is just about done now too. So now I'm facing a dilemma. I love the tires. They're like a drug. Oh BABY, yes, more of this please. But I can't afford to go through 4-5 sets of tires in a season. And I suspect if I start using Hoosiers or Continental slicks, it will be even worse. So I have to think about my budget/strategy for this going forward.

Anyway....

(NJMP Thunderbolt - June: FL: 1:37.82) This was on a 'worn' set of RA1s.

(Circuit Mont-Tremblant (also my favorite track) - July: FL 1:57.27 (I'm sorry as the telemetry is totally screwed up here--went back and forth over it and finally gave up. But the lap time itself is accurate). First time on the RRs. Oh baby!

(Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport GP Track) My first time there and WOW, what a track. If you like high speed corners, this is the place. I'm guessing I could have done a sub 1:40 lap but I was still feeling the place out. FL: 1:40.71 (This is also an exercise in how to run down a Porsche. :lol: Although I suppose there are still a lot of grunters who think their mom's mini van is faster than the 86/FR-S/BRZ. :D Sure.

(Watkins Glen (maybe now my 3rd favorite track after Mosport--sorry Road Atlanta, VIR, Lime Rock, Palmer, etc.) September: FL 2:17.07 This video is most of the session. Almost every lap was slightly compromised in some way. The session before the temperature was still in the high 40s and the session after was mixed with the intermediate group and even harder to get a clean lap. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten into the low 2:16s here. Maybe. :sly:

THE CAR:
2013 Scion FR-S, UEL header, TRD Exhaust, Moto East Custom Tune, StopTech BBK, Bilstein B16 coilovers and Raceseng camber plates, -3.5/-2.5, Toyo Proxes RR, 235/40/17 with 12 heat cycles.

Last edited:
Not my car, but I was driving. I finally got the chance to drift! Went to a drift school this morning, and I loved it. I started out in an S14 practicing donuts and figures of eight, then did my first proper run in the R33 here. Not bad considering I've never driven RWD before!

First time trying to shoot and edit a video with my camera (Nikon D3400). Turned out well.

edit: sorry for that huge post bump :lol:

Last edited:
We don`t see a lot of rain down here,especially at the track. Who needs to see me driving when you can watch the girls, So here is my wife in our 13 WRX hatch doing a girls only session.

Last edited:
Later in the day. The Mini starts behind me but I wind him in eventually. Both cars are equal in the straights

Last edited:
Back