Post a video of your real car

• Thread starter Ibonibo
  • 228 comments
Yeah that's a given. But it seemed like there was a long period of time during which those guys either weren't checking their mirrors or were just ignoring the blue flags.

Just curious, what kind of pads are you running on track?
Stop tech high performance pads, but I'm going to get some racing grade pages pretty soon so I can have a bit more bite.

What the heck--I'll post a few up here too.

1) VIR with Chin Motorsports - Blue Group - Day 2 - Session II
June of 2016. This was my second time at VIR and my first event with Chin. Great group to run with. Very professional. And really a quick bunch of guys. It was about 90*F during this run and it went up to about 94*F--and dripping wet humid. The car was down on power in those conditions but otherwise performing well. I was just trying to run quick, consistent laps out there and stay out of the way of faster cars. Starts with pit-out and warm up lap so you can skip ahead a bit. Getting the point by from the Cayman GT4 was a gift, but I guess if I can push him close in a normally aspirated 2.0 car that everybody claims is 'slow' I'm doing something right. 👍

2) Road Atlanta with Chin Motorsport - Green Group - Day 2 - Session II
June 2016. This was my first time at Road Atlanta. It was about 97*F, dripping wet humidity and despite drinking all day, I think I was suffering borderline heat stroke. Not fun. I ended up sitting out two sessions. The car was suffering as well. I got a check engine light from an overheating coilpack on the afternoon of the first day (likely caused by my unshielded UEL header and the extremely hot ambient temperatures) and despite resetting the CEL 3 times, it kept reoccurring after 3-4 laps. So I was just taking it easy out there, not pushing too hard and just trying to enjoy the venue. The give and take with the Shelby GT500 is a good example of how a well balanced, light weight car that's all about momentum can make up ground on a much more powerful car, and I wasn't pushing all that hard. In fairness, this was in the Green group, but it was my first time at this track, I wasn't feeling very well, the car wasn't feeling much better (noticeably down on power with the popping CEL) and I wasn't going to push to move up to a faster run group under those conditions. Next time I'm back there. GREAT track. Shame about the conditions. It was pretty greasy out there too.

3) Watkins Glen with SCDA - Intermediate Group - Day I - Session III

July 2016. This was actually my second time at WGI this year. The event was a mixed bag. Being at WGI is NEVER a bad thing. But it seemed like a lot of the guys in the Intermediate group were just out for a Sunday drive. I didn't need to give a single point by the entire day which is very telling. I was going to ask to be bumped up to the advanced group but I don't do that many events with SCDA and was only there for 1 day out of 2. Next time. Still a lot of fun. (While still warming up my tires, I almost took out a cone at T8 on my outlap) :dunce::P

TBC...

* And just for fun below is a wet "Rain" lap from when I was there in May with an open lapping group. I just kept my 'street' tires on for that session.

4) Circuit Mont Tremblant with BMWCCA - Advanced Group/ISG - Day 3 - Session II
My favorite track. It must sound daft and a bit of a sacrilege that after going to places like VIR or Road Atlanta or Watkins Glen that I proclaim my favorite track is some back water circuit in the hills of Quebec Canada, that most people have never even heard of it. It has hosted some high profile races, F1, once, in back in the 70s, and an Indycar (CART) race in early 2000s. But it's privately owned and low key and few people know of it's existence. (A PS3 racing game/sim called Ferrari Challenge had this track back in 2009 and I already fell in love with it 'virtually'). But there's something about it's flow and character that makes it just spectacular to drive and visit. Trust me, in-car video doesn't do it justice--a lap here is very exciting.

28706954095_11cb14423a_c.jpg

The elevation changes just blow you away and sends tingles up your spine when you're in the car. That first 1-2-3 downhill-uphill-downhill complex is much more dramatic than it appears in the 2D video.

EDIT* the telemetry is about 1.5 seconds off from the video. :ouch:

OK, just one more. :sly: This video below was from an Open Passing Event - Advanced only - No point-bys at WGI in early May. It was my first time back at Watkins Glen after the repaving and the first time driving my car with Bilstein coil overs and R-compound tires. The initial alignment and set up was way too conservative. I was just getting terminal understeer everywhere and I've had it adjusted twice and it's now much more neutral. But I think my FRS was one of only 3-4 street legal cars at this event, most being full blown track or race car. And I think the majority of the drivers attending were amateur racers. Those guys were totally on it. I like to think I'm pretty quick, but I'm never pushing 10/10ths and I carry a strong survival instinct. :sly: Granted, I was also in one of the slowest cars but the difference in pace was staggering. I really had to keep one eye on the mirror at all times where as the guys in the SCDA group were all out for a 'Sunday drive'. Also kind of ironic was the change in temperature. It was a high of 46* that day. I had the heater going full blast while I was on track and off track, I spent most of my time pacing, shivering or visiting the men's room (only place on track with a heater). :nervous: And almost a month to the day later, I was down at Road Atlanta suffering from near heat stroke. :crazy:

Last edited:
Who cares if its in the middle of winter, if it's dry I'm going racing :lol:

R888's and 30 degree weather isn't ideal but last run of the day I scrubbed the living hell out of my tires and did everything I could to get some heat into them. Went full alien mode and set the fastest time of the day. 1st in class and 1st overall :D

I put it in my thread, but it belongs here too. Here's the build video I've been making while we've been working on our Chrysler 300c track car project. It's a little long at 9 minutes, but I've tried to make it as accessible and entertaining as possible.

It covers everything from the day we picked it up from a salvaged vehicle auction, to the day I finally got to thrash the thing at a race track. All narrated and edited in such a way that you shouldn't fall asleep :lol:

Enjoy :gtpflag:

One of maybe time attack runs from yesterday, wasn't pushing as hard as I was today or later in the session in the video because of cold tires, but still a great video that went kind of viral. If you don't know, I'm at Gridlife which is basically a real life Forza Horizon.

I'm looking into getting a few vids of my lowly little crap-boxes, really want to get onboard footage for sound. Any suggestions for best action cameras that don't muffle sound capture?

Technically I rented it so it was "my car" for 5 laps. :D

Honestly it wasn't as quick as I expected it to be. I still reckon I could match my lap time in my Trans Am though ;)

Made it into Falken Tire's Gridlife recap video at 1:12 and 1:18

EDIT: I don't know why it starts halfway through the video, just back it up to the start when you hit play.

Last edited:
Technically I rented it so it was "my car" for 5 laps. :D

Honestly it wasn't as quick as I expected it to be. I still reckon I could match my lap time in my Trans Am though ;)

How much did that cost?

Back