Post any oddities you've noticed in GT 2

• Thread starter cerbera
  • 934 comments
I believe he also says that since it's a RM Vitz and a RM SVX they can't enter because of the RM limitations. But yeah, indexing errors are "common" in GT2 apparently.

That video is wrong. At some point it states that you can get a Toyota Vitz and Subaru SVX as AI in the Silvia (3:20) and Impreza (4:20) races respectively, I haven't able to reproduce it. His actual list for TM30 (3:17) also included the Xantia, which appears in SSR5 All Night instead. This is the table:

Ones highlighted are TM30, non-highlighted are SSR5 All-Night. Simply put, they put the Xantia (ID 1183) and M12 (ID 1199) the other way around. (The fixes in later versions of the game aren't elegant either - instead of swapping it, they placed a Motor Sport Elise in place of M12, retaining the Xantia in SSR5. :irked:)

The Vitz and SVX are prevented from entering because they are RM models, while the race is only for non-RM. I can't remember off the top of my head but there are no RM limitations for the Trial Mt. 30 laps race, so the Vector makes it through.

Good work on noticing the Xantia though 👍

The weird thing is GT2 was buggy as hell but we all love it anyway. Nowadays someone finds a bug in GT6 and everyone goes mad and threatens to boycott PD :lol:

And then there's me that deliberately looks for glitches in games just because I find that super fun to do xD
There are some games I love more for their glitches than for the actual gameplay xD

This must have been noticed before now but I just raced a Citroen Xantia in the Italian Championships.

Perhaps there is a coding error in that all West City cars are permitted instead of only Italian ones?

This must have been noticed before now but I just raced a Citroen Xantia in the Italian Championships.

Perhaps there is a coding error in that all West City cars are permitted instead of only Italian ones?
GT2 does not do a good job at regulations. The only regulations in the game apply to races with specific drive-trains and horsepower limitations. You could use one car to finish all of the six country races.

GT2 does not do a good job at regulations. The only regulations in the game apply to races with specific drive-trains and horsepower limitations. You could use one car to finish all of the six country races.

Huh. So there I was, for 16 long years, racing honestly and only entering German cars in the German championship and Japanese cars in the Japanese championship without ever questioning the game.

I was made a damn fool of.

In Tuned NA No.1 Cup, a racing modified Peugeot 306 (F2 kit rally car spec), complete with dirt tires, may appear.
I didn't actually know this was a bug. I always thought they included the car on purpose, since a racing modification is sort of like a tuned version.

I was planning to expand the main article for GT2 on TCRF on the section of regional differences, but I thought it would be better to move them to a sub-page, as there's a good amount of new info to be added. Objections?

To stay on the topic of oddities: the various license test tracks have internal names different from their file names. For example, the file name for L_Eau_Rouge isn't L_Eau_Rouge.tro/.trp. I wonder why PD even bothered to change them.

At least, the 306 is a N/A tuned car x)

@tankuroded I've been playing on PAL-FR GT2 and I do believe the car indexes have been fixed on this version. I don't know whether it's an entirely different version or not.
It's this version:
$_35.JPG

All the endurance series indexes are fixed as far as I know. However, the 306 stays, which makes me think it COULD be on purpose even if that's weird x)

I've had the GT40, and the XJ220 non-LM.

I also just checked but the 3000GT is also fixed on that version.

I remember that the "normal" PAL version felt a tad different in comparison to the Platinum one, the latter feeling more refined. This might just be a side effect of the rose-tinted glasses my nostalgia made me wear, though. If I only could get my hands on one again (given that I already own two copies of GT2 PAL, I'm not sure if I actually want to pick up another one), I'd definitely check for further differences.
Maybe that bonus CD version is the same as the Platinum one? 💡

Considering GT2 shouldn't be that rare and expensive, I might just pick it up at some point (yet again ...), even though that's not going to happen before mid-February, thanks to exams.

I was planning to expand the main article for GT2 on TCRF on the section of regional differences, but I thought it would be better to move them to a sub-page, as there's a good amount of new info to be added. Objections?

I have none, so I'd say: Go for it! 👍

I didn't actually know this was a bug. I always thought they included the car on purpose, since a racing modification is sort of like a tuned version.

The issue here is that it uses dirt tires - all other opponents (and you) don't use them, since you're in a road course for those events. ;)

I remember that the "normal" PAL version felt a tad different in comparison to the Platinum one, the latter feeling more refined. This might just be a side effect of the rose-tinted glasses my nostalgia made me wear, though. If I only could get my hands on one again (given that I already own two copies of GT2 PAL, I'm not sure if I actually want to pick up another one), I'd definitely check for further differences.
Maybe that bonus CD version is the same as the Platinum one? 💡

Considering GT2 shouldn't be that rare and expensive, I might just pick it up at some point (yet again ...), even though that's not going to happen before mid-February, thanks to exams.

I have none, so I'd say: Go for it! 👍
I have both Platinum, Black Label & the PAL-FR with the Bonus CD. If there is anything you would like me to compare to confirm a difference between them, then just let me know. :)

Just thell me if they fixed the car restrictions in GT Mode (in FRA version - why they released it only in France?). Take say, kei car to muscle car races and so on.

Car restrictions in special events do not work. Only HP restrictions. I don't remember if the races by country are open or not... on PAL-FR (which is multi-5 by the way, which means you can get access to both Opel and Vauxhall through playing in english, but not Acura though, unless cheat codes).

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the Platinum version had functioning country/region-based restrictions. Not sure about the older PAL version (I'd check if I was at home).

Do anyone know how to spot a version of GT2 only by looking at the disc(s) or cover?
(I mean when im about buying an used copy of GT2 PAL/US/J - and seller does not know about this and asking them to play the game is often out of the question.

Note: I already have PAL, NTSC US 1.0 (w selectable PAL/NTSC output), NTSC US - don't know which version yet, NTSC J - don't know which version yet.

I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I think the Platinum version had functioning country/region-based restrictions. Not sure about the older PAL version (I'd check if I was at home).
Do you mean the country races? E.G. British cars only, can only enter with British cars

@karelpipa
I think the only true way of spotting which version is which is to look at the regional game code (SCES/SCUS/SLES/SLUS etc.) 'cause I think they shouldn't match between versions of the games. But you would have to know what to look for though.
A long time ago there was sonyindex.com which used to list all the game codes for playstation games up to ps3. The site's dead now, but because webarchive is awesome, use this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141125044330/http://www.sonyindex.com/

edit: apparently, they don't list the different versions of GTs except for Japanese versions... oh well, it's a site to know about at least >.>

Do you mean the country races? E.G. British cars only, can only enter with British cars
Yeah, the country races and also the ones following the country races (I think one series is for European cars and the other one is for American and Japanese ones).

Yeah, the country races and also the ones following the country races (I think one series is for European cars and the other one is for American and Japanese ones).
Last time I played the Platinum version, which was last month, I had to be in a specific car for the country I was racing for in the events. E.G Skyline in the Japanese events, it wouldn't let me enter an Aston Martin in the Japanese events.

At least they got the nationality restriction done, but i wonder why they kept open for all settings in most of the SPecial Events.

Region codes should go like this:
PAL full games:
SCES = Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (with one or two exceptions it seems)
SLES = Third/second party published games

PAL DEMOS:
SLED = Third/second party published demos
SCED = By SCEE published demos
PBPX = In some pack-in demos(some Demo Ones has this code - some has SCED or even SCES)

NTSC America:

SCUS = (first-party eg. same as SCES but for Americas)
SLUS = (third-party, eg. same as SLES)

Each games should retain its SCES/SLES xxxxxx number. Indifferently which version it is.

Last edited:
It's a shame to see this thread inactive for so long. Two oddities I didn't see mentioned here:

The Seattle 100 Miles enduro takes place in the full course, but its menu screen has an image of the short variant instead. (Also note the "Mils" icon)
GT2Seattle100.png

The Lotus Elan on its one-make race screen has some rather thicc tires:
GT2Elan.png

Edit: another oddity, related to this comment by adeyblue:
The arcade disc for JP 1.0 has a slightly earlier copy of the Sim mode race data in its VOL, using that would've made the game a bit longer. For example, the Apricot Hill Endurance would've been the same number of laps but a ~394 restriction, and give only half the prize money for 1st.
There are a few more changes between "v0.9" and v1.0, the most notable one being, IMO, Historic Car Cup #2:
GT2Historicv09.png

If you think beating that GT40 in something under 300 PS is difficult, try 250 PS!

Last edited:
Back