Votes: 85 21.0%
  • Good

Votes: 165 40.8%
  • not bad

Votes: 110 27.2%
  • I've seen better set ups at walmart

Votes: 73 18.1%

• Total voters
Funny to see my original setup in this thread...
885ebaf3.jpg

and then compare it to my current rig.

vWz39H5.jpg

0315C56E-BBCC-4047-AF8A-2D1023187998.jpeg
DBE8B326-EA0E-424B-8121-13E8108A2E78.jpeg
1F5274D5-7942-46B4-A17B-78A4F63EE725.jpeg
85C3A7B7-A529-4287-8A3C-C6D9CC254BB5.jpeg

0315C56E-BBCC-4047-AF8A-2D1023187998.jpeg
This my new rig( not finished yet, have to add a sequential shifter and some other pieces).
80/20 aluminum profiles ( designed and built by myself).
PT motion system with Thanos AMC box ( SimTools).
AccuForce Pro V2.
HE pro pedals
5 buttkicker ( 2 in both side of the cockpit , 2 on the seat it self and one under the pedals) running with SimVibe.
Bride racing seat
Oculus rift
Hand break( from Spain).
Soon Ailog sequential shifter.
370414FD-DAA5-4B45-BB93-140E851EFA59.jpeg

26B37105-EA50-4E9C-91C7-369D622382DC.jpeg

Attachments

• 06871AF0-8A10-4613-A406-FC0AF5A1DF80.jpeg
    06871AF0-8A10-4613-A406-FC0AF5A1DF80.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 4939CC98-CF4F-42C9-ADBC-E2F95364FE23.jpeg
    4939CC98-CF4F-42C9-ADBC-E2F95364FE23.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I had a custom built steel rig and this is a rare opinion but I honestly didn't care for the cold natures of steel/aluminium.

So I went back to a simplistic wood setup, I just love working with lumber it's warm/soft but rigid enough with 4x4s to support a DD wheel one day.

rig #3.jpg

Last edited:
80/20 profiles are so expensive. My wooden thing is only a trial version and to find out which the correct dimensions for having a perfect seating position.

80/20 profiles are so expensive. My wooden thing is only a trial version and to find out which the correct dimensions for having a perfect seating position.
How high do you have the seat from the floor? If you are climbing out of it like I do in my
MG Midget you might want to think about making everything taller ( It will pay off when you get to be my age)

How high do you have the seat from the floor? If you are climbing out of it like I do in my
MG Midget you might want to think about making everything taller ( It will pay off when you get to be my age)
I can move the seat forward and backwards.

7E5219D2-C1C3-4688-A6F9-ED1DEC28DC96.jpeg
This is my 3rd table I’ve used to have my G29 on.
The first 2 were side tables that had to have stuff removed like ornaments ect and then put back in original place but they were not very steady either nor the right height .
I bought this for £10 yesterday ( it’s a hospital type table for use at someone’s bed ). I have drilled holes for wires to go through and have taped cables up out of sight and drilled holes to bolt wheel to table. The pedals are bolted to some mdf which then is clamped on to the legs and the wood used to raise the pedals give it a bit of extra weight and stability . I just need to get something to put under the legs so that it can grip on floor and not move under heavy breaking. I’m very happy with my low cost solution and think it will do just fine .

Home made wheelstand pro alike.... it was made with all scraps of tubes i had laying around in my house... non painted parts are actually stainless steel xD its still a WIP, i already designed the knobs for the screws, i just have to print them in my 3d printer.... the feets are 3d printed too, with a piece of rubber underneath to prevent movement, its quite sturdy.... both wheels and pedals are bolted in place, and it can be easily stored (which was the main idea)

To-do: clean the stainless steel to give it a good finish, print the knobs, and design and print some cable management stuff, such as PSU mount underneath the pedals and some plug and play system so the cables wont move, like an extension for USB and Power.... i'll see once finished this stuff...

IMG_20190324_190012751.jpg

View attachment 808701 View attachment 808703 View attachment 808704 View attachment 808435
View attachment 808701 This my new rig( not finished yet, have to add a sequential shifter and some other pieces).
80/20 aluminum profiles ( designed and built by myself).
PT motion system with Thanos AMC box ( SimTools).
AccuForce Pro V2.
HE pro pedals
5 buttkicker ( 2 in both side of the cockpit , 2 on the seat it self and one under the pedals) running with SimVibe.
Bride racing seat
Oculus rift
Hand break( from Spain).
Soon Ailog sequential shifter.
View attachment 808437

View attachment 808438
Fantastic setup! Really great stuff.

Personally even with VR I would not have a setup without screens as well though. There are just so many times when I want to be racing and would not want a headset on. Endurance racing for example (not sure I'd always want a VR headset on for 4 hours) or even race sessions where I'm planning to race and have a few beers as I do so. Not that easy to reach over and pick up a lovely pint of ale for a nice big sip when you have a VR headset on!

Anyway, yep - great setup.

I'd like to download step-by-step 80/20 project plans but for this, I have to register. Problem is that, for some strange reason, I can't register, so I can't download the plans. I have addressed this problem with two people from the website and although they tried to help me, I'm still not able to register. This is probably caused by the fact that I live in Europe.

Is there anyone, preferably an American who want to download the plans for me?

https://8020.net/xdiy1805

Fantastic setup! Really great stuff.

Personally even with VR I would not have a setup without screens as well though. There are just so many times when I want to be racing and would not want a headset on. Endurance racing for example (not sure I'd always want a VR headset on for 4 hours) or even race sessions where I'm planning to race and have a few beers as I do so. Not that easy to reach over and pick up a lovely pint of ale for a nice big sip when you have a VR headset on!

Anyway, yep - great setup.
VR adds a lot to motion and I find motion with flat monitors unnatural because your are moving and the car and the track are flat static. Motion and VR complete each other. I can tell you that I’m a bit slower with motion/VR but who cares... it’s all about immersion.

A new upgrade to my rig arrived yesterday. A 49" 32:9 Samsung monitor.

That looks amazing. It does emphasise one thing though: I really wish racing sims gave us the option to have the car positioned off centre to the left hand side. You'd be able to see both mirrors and then some of if you could.

Put together something nice and homely at my desk, which keeps the monitor a comfortable distance from my face and makes some kind of attempt at being healthy.
IMG_20190531_212833.jpg

I'm really hoping that my T150 dies soon enough, so I can have a better time playing F1 2019 and ETS2 with a T300 or something similar.

Last edited:
Put together something nice and homely at my desk, which keeps the monitor a comfortable distance from my face and makes some kind of attempt at being healthy.View attachment 824602 I'm really hoping that my T150 dies soon enough, so I can have a better time playing F1 2019 and ETS2 with a T300 or something similar.

I coudn't play with your, you seat too far from the screen.
I have to be near the TV when i'm playing, a sim racer or any other game.

I coudn't play with your, you seat too far from the screen.
I have to be near the TV when i'm playing, a sim racer or any other game.

With the effect of perspective, the monitor isn't actually too far away to be useful - though if it was a different setup that didn't do all of the other types of games and home office stuff, I'd probably put it in line with my feet.

I would also add that the screen is too high.

From a driving simulation perspective, I'd agree. The sense of immersion's fine despite that though

From the strict definition of immersion I just can't see how that can be true.
It becomes true if you widen the definition and add a few grey areas. For example, it doesn't make it impossible for me to focus on what's happening or feel what the car or truck is doing, so it's alright for me.

It's not a thing for everyone, but I don't really do powerful FFB or motion very well myself.

Made this recently out of 3/4 inch birch plywood, tough stuff. It's joined together with pocket hole screws. Very sturdy so far. It's sitting on a 1/2 inch thick rubber mat, the kind of thing you would put under a washer/dryer, to eliminate sound for people below me. 👍

47983000832_485f0cb92a_b.jpg

I have to start all over again because my test cockpit, which I made with stuff I had laying around, hurts my back when sitting in it for a while. Even a friend told me that the sitting position isn't as it should be. There is something off according to him and he is right.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what I want. Keep my 24" triple or buy a Samsung 49" 32:9 super wide monitor instead or get an HMD.

Buy a whole new gaming computer or upgrade this one with a very high-end graphics card. This GTX970 isn't powerful enough anymore for games like ACC and pCars 2 on a triple.

But I read that Intel is going to release their own graphics card and nVidia is probably going to release other graphics cards in 2020 as well.

Also, build my own decent cockpit (buy stuff this time) or buy a decent cockpit.

Keep the G27 or get a DD wheel and decent pedals.

Last edited:
Back