Potato...

• Thread starter VBR
  • 560 comments

How do you feel about the new tyre model?

• Much Better

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • Better

Votes: 185 42.8%
  • Dunno

Votes: 60 13.9%
  • Worse

Votes: 31 7.2%
  • Much Worse

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Ambivalent

Votes: 14 3.2%
  • Neither Better Nor Worse

Votes: 6 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It can’t just be the tyre model as engine braking is much less effective. In the 911 RSR you could bang down the gears and let engine braking do most of the work. Now it’s much less pronounced.

The front end moves around more. While the rear has slightly less grip but not enough to have a significant effect on lap times.

Edit: And as above, although it’s twitchier, you can catch the car easier.

I only had a few minutes to play yesterday, and I only played with a controller, rather than my wheel.

The Mazda MX-5 around Tsubuka without traction control felt very good. I remember at launch, the MX-5 would lose grip at around 80 km/h in every corner, as if it were driving on ice. Now it has more grip, it's hard but possible to make it oversteer, grip-loss is much more gradual and slides are easy to recover, just how it supposedly behaves IRL.

Some thoughts after driving the Ferrari Gr.3 more tonight:

-- Most of the snap oversteer on the Ferrari seems to be gone! Or at least dampened. That is huge.
-- Cold tires are no joke with this new model. Did a Brands custom race with RH tires and lap 1 was a bit harrowing at times
-- That old feeling of grip-grip-grip-grip-OH NO has been replaced with a lot more gradual slip. After getting used to the tires I feel like there's a lot more information being given
-- Tire wear on the Ferrari Gr.3 doesn't turn it into an ice skater when wear hits 20% red. Also huge.
-- My best time on Brands with the Ferrari was 1:23.6. I'm about 1.8 seconds slower than that still, but I think I can get closer.

Also did some laps with various road cars on Alsace with Sport tires. Definitely felt more grip. The 1972 Alpine is a pleasure to drive on that track.

Last edited:
I did some more MX-5 testing with my Fanatec wheel this morning. This car feels really good now! :) It's much more controllable than before. As long as your steering input and driving line is smooth, it's possible to drive this car really hard with the foot down on the pedal, which was impossible before as it would slide out as soon as you had something like 0.5 Gs. It's still possible to kick out the rear and drift through corners, but only if you as a driver purposely make really sharp turn-ins or do a Scandinavian flick, which seems realistic for a RWD car with 160 HP.

To be honest, I was fairly surprised how much more you can push on Racing Hard tires now. During the daily race at St. Croix I was really able to give the GT LM Test Car some beans and even made the rear kick out a tiny bit on some corner exits, while still having full control and not worrying that I'm going to spin. Also, getting on the power earlier seems to be the case now. I quite like the new tire model.

Personally, I didnt have a huge problem with the first tyre model, though I definitely saw it’s problem and saw why others wouldn’t be too happy with it.

I’m really impressed with the new tyre model, though. I can feel when I’m at the limit of grip, and oversteering doesn’t seem to be as much as an on/off switch like it was before.

As well as this, the LaFerrari feels great to drive now!

I drove the Mercedes AMG GT GT3 yesterday on Bathurst after doing a daily race on Sunday - same car, same track. Instant difference in tyre behaviour. Instant, as in, feeling it on the first corner. I felt like there was less lateral grip and an actual tyre trying to grip the tarmac; rather than a thin strip of rubber. Feels closer to Project Cars 2 now in terms of behaviour, wherein the grip loss is more progressive and recovery in the so-called "grey" area is more manageable DUE TO the added feedback from the tyre. Not only that but deformation is animated and simulated. When you apply full lock round McPhillamy, you can feel the loaded tyre being stretched and you know you've reached the grip limit. Go faster than that limit and you will lose control, as I found put by swerving on Conrod. Overall, the car is more connected to the road and the tyre has a bit more "meatiness" to it.

The new Tyre Model is the best that PD has done in all of their updates until now. To me it has lifted the driving experience extremely cause I have the feel that it’s not about memorizing the inputs according to the Car/Track.
I can just feel how the Car behaves and throttle/brake modulation gives so much more feedback, and depth in driving style. Tyres can be pushed and killed fast (Juan Pablo Montoya)or driven smooth and clockwork like(Jenso Button).
It’s so much more intuitive and informative it’s incredible. Omg, this is awesome I absolutely love it, wtf.
I tried it yesterday with the 458 gr3 and I can only say, WOW. The difference is huge. I completely agree what @tofuhero mentioned.
So no need to repeat, only add that I wish PD keeps the Tyre model cause I don’t want to get back or change anything anymore. To me this is perfect. :D

ABS weak works much better with the new tyre model.
Care to elaborate a little bit more? How did it feel on ABS weak before and now?
I'm curious about switching to ABS weak/off, but pre-update, it was almost impossible to play (compared to ABS OFF in GT6).

Care to elaborate a little bit more? How did it feel on ABS weak before and now?
I'm curious about switching to ABS weak/off, but pre-update, it was almost impossible to play (compared to ABS OFF in GT6).

The tyres don't lock this fast than before the update. Another advantage with weak ABS ist that you can rotate the back of you car better into the corners than with full ABS. I don't like the understeering with the new tyre model and full ABS in corner entry.

The tyres don't lock this fast than before the update. Another advantage with weak ABS ist that you can rotate the back of you car better into the corners than with full ABS. I don't like the understeering with the new tyre model and full ABS in corner entry.
Thanks! Out of curiosity, why not go full ABS OFF? Do you use a wheel?

I pretty much knew that when they update the tire model the ABS weak becomes a better option and ABS off might actually be possible to do. Because before when the grip was lost (no matter if under acceleration or braking) the tyres could not stop spinning. Hence the crappy no-ABS braking. It just felt like you slammed the brakes and keep the wheels locked even though you tried managing the brakes.

So now when it seems to be fixed and ABS mechanism stayed untouched (apparently), ABS default becomes way too weak to slow the car with full tire potential and ABS weak becomes a better option.

I suggest to try ABS off too, to see what it feels like now!

@PirovacBoy haha good to hear you're happy too! Remember how I used to hate it? :D I knew you'd love the new tire model with your beloved Ferrari.

It didn't test it until now but I think that the risk is a bit to high with ABS off. I use G27 pedals with harder springs.
Hmmm...now might be a good time to try the new tyre model with less ABS if it's more manageable. I also use a brake mod for a stiffer brake pedal. Trailbraking with the previous tyre model just didn't work for me...I tried rolling off the brakes on corner entry to get more turning grip while rolling in steering lock, but I couldn't feel it working (the way it works in say, Assetto Corsa). I usually use Brake Balance of -3 for FR/FF/AWD and -2 for MR/RR cars.

What is your typical Brake Balance like?

Last edited:
Hmmm...now might be a good time to try the new tyre model with less ABS if it's more manageable. I also use a brake mod for a stiffer brake pedal. Trailbraking with the previous tyre model just didn't work for me...I tried rolling off the brakes on corner entry to get more turning grip while rolling in steering lock, but I couldn't feel it working (the way it works in say, Assetto Corsa). I usually use Brake Balance of +3 for FR/FF/AWD and +2 for MR/RR cars.

What is your typical Brake Balance like?

With the new update and full ABS I drove the Evo GR.4 and Megan Trophy on brake balance +5. Then I tried the Megan Trophy with weak ABS and brake balance +3.

After reading all these posts I must say I am very happy with the result, even though I haven't played the game yet. And I am happy for everyone that enjoys the new tire model. Even for those that didn't have a problem with it.

After all I was the one who created the "flaws of the tyre model" thread and cried there like a baby! :D so I take a liiiiiittle bit of credits for it :gtpflag:

Just tried the worst offender for stand still wheel spin the La Ferrari. Tried sports hard, medium and soft with TC on 1. The car doesn't spin on the spot for ages it digs in accelerates through 1st gear fine. You can feel the tires slip ever so slightly towards the end of the rev range in 2nd and 3rd then past 90mph your golden. Managed a 2.9 0-60 with it aswell. TC on 0 your still spin like mad but that's to be expected.

Tested the 650s oh boy that thing is greatly improved on the standstill. On TC1 on sports medium tiny bit slip in 2nd gear but it launches perfectly.

It's also much easier to catch a slide now.

Last edited:
Any feelings about the 4x4? Im feeling the huracan worst now, definitely my best car, and yesterday I could beat it with lots of cars Ive never used before

Yeah, the AWD cars have definitely taken a hit in the character department. The Evo 96 was a fav of mine, but the new tyre model has dulled it's character a little. However, if that's the price we have to pay for having the RWD cars handle better, then I'm ok with that.

I managed to get in a few laps last night with my G29 and usual settings of 7/4/10, 0 TC and ABS Default. I took away very positive vibes. I stuck with my Subaru WRX Gr. 4 and Gr. 3 cars since that is what I have been using in the Manufacturer Series and I am used to them. I've only done one Daily since the FIA seasons started.

Gr. 4 Dragon Trail - Gardens: Subtle differences here. I did some laps before the update and after. The tire model change is perceivable in that my old braking points, turn-in points and corner exit tecniques were no longer working, but the overall feel was similar. I was getting some feedback from the wheel under braking which never happened before. The Gr. 4 WRX felt like it powered out of the hairpin better with bias +5, and the on-throttle oversteer out of that corner was less snappy, more gradual. Off-throttle oversteer is much more pronounced and allows better correction in that four-apex sweeper near the end. I also did a couple laps with ABS on Weak instead of Default and I am pretty sure with some practice Weak will trump Default. Due to the lack of FFB for locking brakes I still don't think ABS Off is viable, but would have to test to confirm.

Gr. 3 Interlagos: The WRX Gr. 3 used to be a snap-oversteer festival, especially on tracks like Interlagos with tight corners, and it hates kerbs. Hitting the rumble strip at full throttle coming out of the Senna S upset the car as usual, however when the back end steps out a quick correction keeps me going. The slow middle section allows smoother and more consistent throttle modulation and if I give it too much juice coming out of those tight turns, the gradual loss of grip is easy to sense and correct. I had lots of moments in the 3rd and 4th gear turns where correcting understeer would unsettle the car and require some opposite lock to save it. Overall the behavior is much more realistic and intuitive. There is much more understeer but overall everything you want to do with the car is easily done with logical inputs.

I am a sim racer fan and prefer Assetto Corsa's driving model to GTS's but I do play pretty much all racing games, and I loved GTS for its Sport Mode despite the numb handling. With the new tire model it's still a long way off of AC but it is a massive improvement and has actually made driving enjoyable now. I am really positive about this update. It's a huge step forward for GTS.

Now let's hope PD doesn't go and pull a PD and go backwards with the physics in the next update. If they can improve it even more, great. If not, I would be happy if GTS stayed in this state physics-wise. It's definitely good enough for me and now I am actually looking forward to doing some laps in my classic road and race cars, something that before this update was reserved exclusively to Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 due to their superior handling models.

The new Tyre Model is the best that PD has done in all of their updates until now....I wish PD keeps the Tyre model cause I don’t want to get back or change anything anymore.
Now let's hope PD doesn't go and pull a PD and go backwards with the physics in the next update. If they can improve it even more, great. If not, I would be happy if GTS stayed in this state physics-wise.

HEY PD! This. ^

👍

Any feelings about the 4x4? Im feeling the huracan worst now, definitely my best car, and yesterday I could beat it with lots of cars Ive never used before

Huracan Gr.3 feels better and also "easier" to control without TC and with the BoP change really like it now. Huracan Gr.4 [being 4x4]definitely worse now. Stuck with it for the FIA Manuf. though, so will have to make it work.

I managed to get in a few laps last night with my G29 and usual settings of 7/4/10, 0 TC and ABS Default. I took away very positive vibes. I stuck with my Subaru WRX Gr. 4 and Gr. 3 cars since that is what I have been using in the Manufacturer Series and I am used to them. I've only done one Daily since the FIA seasons started.

Gr. 4 Dragon Trail - Gardens: Subtle differences here. I did some laps before the update and after. The tire model change is perceivable in that my old braking points, turn-in points and corner exit tecniques were no longer working, but the overall feel was similar. I was getting some feedback from the wheel under braking which never happened before. The Gr. 4 WRX felt like it powered out of the hairpin better with bias +5, and the on-throttle oversteer out of that corner was less snappy, more gradual. Off-throttle oversteer is much more pronounced and allows better correction in that four-apex sweeper near the end. I also did a couple laps with ABS on Weak instead of Default and I am pretty sure with some practice Weak will trump Default. Due to the lack of FFB for locking brakes I still don't think ABS Off is viable, but would have to test to confirm.

Gr. 3 Interlagos: The WRX Gr. 3 used to be a snap-oversteer festival, especially on tracks like Interlagos with tight corners, and it hates kerbs. Hitting the rumble strip at full throttle coming out of the Senna S upset the car as usual, however when the back end steps out a quick correction keeps me going. The slow middle section allows smoother and more consistent throttle modulation and if I give it too much juice coming out of those tight turns, the gradual loss of grip is easy to sense and correct. I had lots of moments in the 3rd and 4th gear turns where correcting understeer would unsettle the car and require some opposite lock to save it. Overall the behavior is much more realistic and intuitive. There is much more understeer but overall everything you want to do with the car is easily done with logical inputs.

I am a sim racer fan and prefer Assetto Corsa's driving model to GTS's but I do play pretty much all racing games, and I loved GTS for its Sport Mode despite the numb handling. With the new tire model it's still a long way off of AC but it is a massive improvement and has actually made driving enjoyable now. I am really positive about this update. It's a huge step forward for GTS.

Now let's hope PD doesn't go and pull a PD and go backwards with the physics in the next update. If they can improve it even more, great. If not, I would be happy if GTS stayed in this state physics-wise. It's definitely good enough for me and now I am actually looking forward to doing some laps in my classic road and race cars, something that before this update was reserved exclusively to Assetto Corsa and Project CARS 2 due to their superior handling models.

Haha, exactly. Until now I've been playing GT Sport only for FiA purposes. I never enjoyed driving any car, as opposed to GT6 or AC for example.

Huracan was my best car, and one of very few I could drive on TCS 0, on my first drive in Suzuka I found it near un drivable (I’m not a skilled player) even at slow speeds it felt the car didn’t want to turn at all. Now that being said today I got the new Gt40 and took it round Croix, it seems to feel good to me, and could feel the car slipping and then biting in so I could accelerate. I look forward to trying the 911 gt3 which I was also comfortable with, albeit at TCS 2, I’m interested to see if I have the same reaction as I had with my faithful Gr4 lambo

Back