Prettiest car in the history of automotive

  • Thread starter Thread starter stiggylab17
  • 150 comments
  • 17,539 views
I prefer the 70' (In beautifulness, not in general)
 
I prefer the 70' (In beautifulness, not in general)

The cars for the most part are actually the same except for the front end, taillights and rear quarter panels.

'70 Mach 1

1970_ford_mustang_mach_1-pic-5511.jpeg


'70 Boss 302 (Front end applies to all '70s excluding Mach 1's)

1970_00065_01.jpg




If the '70 rear was put on a '69 (which is very easy to do), you have my dream car. For whatever reason, this car was the car that I drooled over as a kid and has followed me into adult hood. I don't know why, maybe it's just the striking appearance.
 
The Jag XJ13 is so sexy.

c1_xj13_1966-1008x567
 
I can't believe nobody has mentioned these...

daytona-ablead.jpg

1187641347Porsche930TurboMax_preview.jpg

AmonChris-BMW19730708.jpg
 
^ I love the CSL, but, I wouldn't call it pretty, same with the 'stangs, great looking cars, but not "pretty".
 
As usual, the 911 defies categorization. It's sort of a muscular feminine form, like a lady bodybuilder. Which must explain why I'm so indelibly attracted to it.
 
Alfa Romeo GTA (especially in race form)

873517.jpg


Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale

1968-Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale.jpg


Also the facelifted C1 Corvette.

2347341.jpg
 
1963_aston_martin_db5-pic-4526915324498058349.jpeg

Aston Martin DB5
imgres

Aston Martin One-77

Definetly an Aston Martin
 
1937_TalbotLago_T150CSSFigonietFalaschiTeardrop2.jpg


Withouth a shadow of doubt.

I'm with Cano on this, the Talbot Lago (in this and one or two other bespoke coachbuilt variations) is stupidly beautiful. I would have a few runners up, can't think of them offhand but the Miura is in there for sure.
 
Idea's been done to death, but whatever, I'll play.

I've no single favourite, but a couple of ones I'd consider as being right up there have already been suggested - the Figoni & Falaschi Talbot-Lago that Cano posted (Octane mag has featured them a couple of times - I can provide issue numbers for those interested), and the Dino that RocZX posted (though the earlier and rarer 206 is even prettier than the 246).

The Fiat Dino should be in there too, as should the Lancia Aurelia.

Edit: I shouldn't forget the Mercedes W113 either.

Beyond there, I struggle. "Pretty" implies femininity. That rules out basically any modern car, as most are far too aggressive. It also rules out pretty much any American car I'm aware of, as while the US has produced a huge number of stunning, stunning vehicles (I maintain that the '70 Charger is among the greatest ever production car designs), they're all very masculine and therefore don't sit well with the term "pretty". Italians "get" femininity, which is why most cars I'd consider pretty are Italian.

Pre-war cars also struggle - Talbot-Lago (and other "drop of water" designs of the time) aside, most pre-war cars are a bit too "busy" as designs (i.e. running boards, separate wings, upright radiator grilles) to qualify as pretty. Perhaps the Citroen Light 15 (Traction Avant) gets closest, even more so in coupe form.

"Best looking"? That expands it a hell of a lot. Really too many to list. But it'd certainly include more French, American, Japanese and modern cars. You could also argue that "best design" could expand it further, as "design" and "style" can be separate entities.
 
Last edited:
Idea's been done to death, but whatever, I'll play.

I've no single favourite, but a couple of ones I'd consider as being right up there have already been suggested - the Figoni & Falaschi Talbot-Lago that Cano posted (Octane mag has featured them a couple of times - I can provide issue numbers for those interested), and the Dino that RocZX posted (though the earlier and rarer 206 is even prettier than the 246).

The Fiat Dino should be in there too, as should the Lancia Aurelia.

Edit: I shouldn't forget the Mercedes W113 either.

Beyond there, I struggle. "Pretty" implies femininity. That rules out basically any modern car, as most are far too aggressive. It also rules out pretty much any American car I'm aware of, as while the US has produced a huge number of stunning, stunning vehicles (I maintain that the '70 Charger is among the greatest ever production car designs), they're all very masculine and therefore don't sit well with the term "pretty". Italians "get" femininity, which is why most cars I'd consider pretty are Italian.

Pre-war cars also struggle - Talbot-Lago (and other "drop of water" designs of the time) aside, most pre-war cars are a bit too "busy" as designs (i.e. running boards, separate wings, upright radiator grilles) to qualify as pretty. Perhaps the Citroen Light 15 (Traction Avant) gets closest, even more so in coupe form.

"Best looking"? That expands it a hell of a lot. Really too many to list. But it'd certainly include more French, American, Japanese and modern cars. You could also argue that "best design" could expand it further, as "design" and "style" can be separate entities.

You just went off the deep end over thinking this one. I also realize there has been a torrent of threads such as this, however it is only my second thread I've made, so give me a break.
 
You just went off the deep end over thinking this one. I also realize there has been a torrent of threads such as this, however it is only my second thread I've made, so give me a break.

Actually, I think he gave the best answer of anyone. I may not necessarily agree with his car choices, but the analysis he gave was spot on. You asked the question, why complain when you get a proper answer? ;)
 
Idea's been done to death, but whatever, I'll play.

I've no single favourite, but a couple of ones I'd consider as being right up there have already been suggested - the Figoni & Falaschi Talbot-Lago that Cano posted (Octane mag has featured them a couple of times - I can provide issue numbers for those interested), and the Dino that RocZX posted (though the earlier and rarer 206 is even prettier than the 246).

The Fiat Dino should be in there too, as should the Lancia Aurelia.

Edit: I shouldn't forget the Mercedes W113 either.

Beyond there, I struggle. "Pretty" implies femininity. That rules out basically any modern car, as most are far too aggressive. It also rules out pretty much any American car I'm aware of, as while the US has produced a huge number of stunning, stunning vehicles (I maintain that the '70 Charger is among the greatest ever production car designs), they're all very masculine and therefore don't sit well with the term "pretty". Italians "get" femininity, which is why most cars I'd consider pretty are Italian.

Pre-war cars also struggle - Talbot-Lago (and other "drop of water" designs of the time) aside, most pre-war cars are a bit too "busy" as designs (i.e. running boards, separate wings, upright radiator grilles) to qualify as pretty. Perhaps the Citroen Light 15 (Traction Avant) gets closest, even more so in coupe form.

"Best looking"? That expands it a hell of a lot. Really too many to list. But it'd certainly include more French, American, Japanese and modern cars. You could also argue that "best design" could expand it further, as "design" and "style" can be separate entities.
I aggre with you saying that very few modern cars can be considered "pretty".
That's a very comprehensive answer:tup:
 
You just went off the deep end over thinking this one. I also realize there has been a torrent of threads such as this, however it is only my second thread I've made, so give me a break.
It's difficult to tell tone and intent on the Internet sometimes, but I doubt he was taking a shot at you. I love his response and agree with it. Actually his definition of pretty was what I thought you were going with the entire thread. Anyway it's a good thread and he had a good post too. No harm no foul.
 
You just went off the deep end over thinking this one. I also realize there has been a torrent of threads such as this, however it is only my second thread I've made, so give me a break.

hfs made a thoughtful post that furthers discussion of what is "prettiest." He at least explained his thinking behind his post.

And if you already know a ton of threads like this exist already, then why don't you use one of those old threads and have to start a new thread? Imagine if the close to quarter million members on this site each made a thread asking what the prettiest car is.

--

There's been some admirable mentions. I would also add the following to the list:

1966-Ferrari-275-GTB-C-Berlinetta-Competizione-by-Scaglietti-profile-sm.jpg
 
I see most of my favorites have been posted already, :D Talbot Lago, Miura, 250 GTO are all very nice.

Bugatti-57S-Atlantic.jpg


4241480947_26fdb46b70_z.jpg


30mb_710_SSK_Trossi_Roadster_1.jpg


1957-chevy-thunderbird.jpg
 
You just went off the deep end over thinking this one. I also realize there has been a torrent of threads such as this, however it is only my second thread I've made, so give me a break.

I retract my comment, one because of all the comments telling me I'm wrong, and two looking back on it he's got a point. I apologize, I posted the comment when I was having a really, really bad day. :indiff:
 
I retract my comment, one because of all the comments telling me I'm wrong, and two looking back on it he's got a point. I apologize, I posted the comment when I was having a really, really bad day. :indiff:

We all have those days :cheers:. Sorry if I was a bit harsh on you, I shouldn't have been.
 
599

599GTB_silver_b.jpg

ferrari-599-hgte-08.jpg


612

ferrari_612.jpg
 
^ no way, Ferraris of that era were never pretty, not ugly but just no pretty. Now its different with a new designer (458, FF, laFerarri all look similar)
Its very difficult to pick one car as small have excellent features but i have 5
250GTO
E-Type (2 seater only) or Eagle Speedster
Vanquish '13
DB5
8C Spyder

I don't find American Car pretty, some are good looker but so are some girls on friday night until you wake up the next day. Even the new C7 and SRT, very marmite and allot of people i no would agree. Some cars like the Zonda, Veyron, Aventador, laFerrari are all crazy looking but are more function over form. Zonda is all about construction with a beautiful enginebay and crafted interior which looks the price, Veyron is a masterpiece of Car, Aventador is going but to the crazy diablo/countach route for styling but has its very angled look for more than just photos and the laFerrari has crammed in alot of F1 Tech, and f1 cars arent pretty. One car that was border line is the MP4-12C but it was never designed.....it was calculated with physics and tech to be what it is so in my eyes, doesn't deserve a top 5 finish. And its big brother, P1 is just crazy looking.

And if someone says a Porsche, GTFU. Never been pretty or ever will. They were close with the GT but still had the Porsche style front.
 
Last edited:
blue_1972_Mustang_Mach_1_by_Partywave.jpg


Mustang Mach 1

060915001.7.jpg


And the Ferrari Dino
 
And if someone says a Porsche, GTFU. Never been pretty or ever will. They were close with the GT but still had the Porsche style front.

While I don't agree with the blunt way you've put it, I think you probably do have a point. I had a good think about whether any Porsches count as "pretty" (using my above definition) but I don't think they do. The fairly uncomplicated, curved front ends are nice enough, but they actually render most Porsches a bit goofy, in a way.

Nevertheless, I still think the 356 and early 911s are beautiful designs. And actually, the earliest, most unadorned 924s probably approach pretty.
 
Mustang Mach 1

And the Ferrari Dino

I'm surprised the '71-'73 Mustang made it onto this list. The '69-'70 Mach 1s are much more popular.
 
Back