Primus Ortus

My week 24 Photomode entry for "curves" didn't cut it this time, but based on the competition, I'm not surprised - there's some good stuff out there. Nevertheless, I took my entry and spiced it up a little bit for my gallery:

5726597317_491490abfb_b.jpg

Wow! Some epic shots here...lovely.

That IS F touring car looks awesome!

Thanks guys! @ceiling_fan - I originally had this one in color, but the hood looked bad because of issues with cloud reflections. The more I worked on it, the worse it got, so I finally scrapped the color, desaturated and softened the look, and smoothed out the hood issues. I received inspiration from one of your latest (and might I say...greatest) photos - the Alfa 8C. The tone of the car in color as well as in black and white was beeaautifulllllll. The smooth transitions of the tone - like chocolate baby!

I would say enter the Alfa shot what have you got to lose

Thanks for the encouragement my friend. Don't get me wrong, I like the photo, but it is just "meh" compared to some I saw in there.

Very nice work since I last came here.

Thanks ashes! Your gallery is looking great.

Here's a couple more black and whites (desaturated sepia on the first one). Don't ask how long it took me to blend the grey tones in the sky on the second pic... :nervous: I like blending. :dopey: Also, can you tell what is missing in the second photo?:

Nice clone stamping :D I'm no good at that, usually I only do it on the GT watermark ;)

Good shots though, I'm liking the composition and color tones. I must say though I feel the first is lacking something... grain perhaps? Or maybe I'm just used to adding it to nearly all my images :P

Last edited:
Nice pictures. Why did you take off the numbers on the second picture? I really like them :dopey:

Thanks ashes - I took it off on a whim. I just wanted to see what the Alfa looks like without them. :dopey:

Nice clone stamping :D I'm no good at that, usually I only do it on the GT watermark ;)

Good shots though, I'm liking the composition and color tones. I must say though I feel the first is lacking something... grain perhaps? Or maybe I'm just used to adding it to nearly all my images :P

Thanks C_F. With the Alfa, it was a bit more of a process involving cloning, repairing, coloring and smudging. The number overlapped the hood scoop, which made it a little more of an issue. I agree with you on the first pic... I think maybe it's just that that the photo is sepia. I washed out the color a little to make it closer to a black and white, but I think it took out some of the character. I think you're right about the grain. The picture shows some blur, but you don't get the same sense of speed because the road is missing texture.

Last edited:
Maybe its the angle of the camera for the Alfa. Some cars just don't look good in certain angles.

Gasp! The Alfa doesn't give bad face at any angle. The more I look at the pic, the more I just think it's just plain boring. Exposure is a little low and the mild sepia look is watered down. Perhaps the car is too close - the fish-eye look has to be done right or else it doesn't look right. So, you are right about that. Also, for this picture, color would have been better. Back to the drawing boards... :irked:

Nice Primus Ortus 👍, I'm confused as to what picture you talking about but I like both of the Alfa shots

Awesome set of Vette photos. I like how they have a "cruising" sort of feel, suits the car well. 👍

Back