Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,869 comments
http://www.speedcafe.com/2017/04/18/officials-analyse-grid-sizes-2018-bathurst-6h/
Keep the grid size. There were about two collisions and the safety car was needed for stranded vehicles.
I'd cut the Saloon class though and see about inviting more up to date cars.

Shame the MINI Challenge doesn't run and Clio Cup aren't here.
Where did I read that the Sherrin's paid $150k for their BMW M4 and then spent another $150k to get it to where it is now?

That worries me a lot.

What the hell did they spend that second $150k on?
Roll cage, seats & other safety mandated items don't add up to that stratospheric number.

Where did I read that the Sherrin's paid $150k for their BMW M4 and then spent another $150k to get it to where it is now?

That worries me a lot.

What the hell did they spend that second $150k on?
Roll cage, seats & other safety mandated items don't add up to that stratospheric number.
The only 150 I can recall, is the added 150hp.

Yeah, that's another 150.

Explains how the thing was doing 270+ down Conrod.
580hp. Amazing. Imagine what the GT F was putting out. And that has an over boost of 550hp stock.

The lap times of these new cars to the Group A cars is telling. Even when the Grp A cars are running slicks, they are no match.

580hp. Amazing. Imagine what the GT F was putting out. And that has an over boost of 550hp stock.

The lap times of these new cars to the Group A cars is telling. Even when the Grp A cars are running slicks, they are no match.
Something tells me the GT F didn't have $150k thrown at its race preparation though so, I seriously doubt that had 600bhp.
Supercharging is a different animal to turbocharged & its speed through the trap wasn't exactly up there either.

Was it on Speedcafe? I'm certain I read it somewhere cause my reaction was :eek: :odd:
It was an interview during the race. They were still leading at the time, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Here's the full race if you want to take a look.

A search did not reveal the exact article to me now, but ten years ago, Car and Driver got a free 350Z from Nissan that was a former development mule sans VIN. They decided to convert it into a Koni Challenge Grand-Am car and were floored to hear that it was going to cost them $1k USD per horsepower to make it go faster.

Most racing cars need to add the power with durability, so it's not as if they can just swap in parts and expect it to go fast and last the distance while remaining legal within the rules.

I suspect the M4 is in the same situation, thus the "ghost" price tag and apparent speed advantage in the straights.

Last edited:
Ok, here's the part of the interview where they say the car is about $150k and they put another $150k into it. (video preview looks the same but it should start at the correct time stamp)

Ok, here's the part of the interview where they say the car is about $150k and they put another $150k into it. (video preview looks the same but it should start at the correct time stamp)

OK, cool I was wrong with the 150hp. I thought I heard they added another "150" horsepower. I did ask the question if anyone else could confirm that. Now I know. 👍

Edit: this popped up in my notification.
http://www.motoring.com.au/shanghai...twitter&utm_source=social&utm_campaign=buffer
1580kg, 10hp/50Nm more power, top speed limited to 280km/h.

Maybe the Sherrin car doesn't have much extra power after all.

Last edited:
I was watching the French GT4 series from Nogaro earlier today, and the commentator was saying Porsche had sold just about 350 Caymans all the way around the globe with perhaps 100 more coming by the end of the year... No surprise these things are everywhere.

It's like a "real life" online console game where everyone picks the "cheat" car.

It's not about the Cayman being a superior car but shows Porsche's unmatched technical support and customer service that it gives to the teams that run their cars.

I was watching the French GT4 series from Nogaro earlier today, and the commentator was saying Porsche had sold just about 350 Caymans all the way around the globe with perhaps 100 more coming by the end of the year... No surprise these things are everywhere.

Hey, when you make a good GT car, people will flock to it. It was the same with the old R8 LMS, right? You couldn't watch the most podunk GT racing series without at least seeing one on the grid.

It's not about the Cayman being a superior car but shows Porsche's unmatched technical support and customer service that it gives to the teams that run their cars.

Essentially, this. There's a reason why privateers love Porsche cars.

I'm assuming it's also a lot cheaper to buy, run and maintain than a McLaren or an Aston, which also helps bring people onboard with the program.

I'm assuming it's also a lot cheaper to buy, run and maintain than a McLaren or an Aston, which also helps bring people onboard with the program.

Guess it's the same reason why people are jumping onto the newest version of Unreal Engine. With increased documentation and support, you'll generally get a lot of people hopping on.

Watching the 12 hours of Bathurst earlier this year the pit folks interviewed the heads of both Audi customer sales and Mercedes. Audi stated they had something like 200 GT3/LMS cars in "race use" (probably all within 1-3 years old I'd guess), and Mercedes likewise had 150-160 GT3s in use, both SLS and the current GT model. These were GT3, but it shows how popular some of the bigger brands are. Personally I had no idea that many were running.

When Porsche announced the Cayman GT4 model a while ago, the article I read said the price was around $127K. I don't know how much that got you, but for reference the limited Mustangs running in Continental at the time were guesstimated to be $250-300K a piece. By comparison that new Mazda Miata turn-key race car is...like $58K. Again I don't know how much support/spare supplies/materials those prices get you, but to me, prices are pretty good on the Cayman.

Didn't make sense to start half way in the year. May as well start from Adelaide.

Plus, dropping the Utes ride height 4-5 inches and having bigger wheels would make for better looking racers.

Back