Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,869 comments
And there's already a decent amount of McLaren 570S GT4 cars in CTSCC. What about the Audi R8 GT4?

I think it's weird seeing these cars have GT4 and GT3 versions. Usually the GT4 version is the lesser model of two in a manufacturer's range.

The R8 GT4 is being run by Phoenix tracing in the GT4 European Northern Series. Don't know about the Americas or Australia.

As for the lesser models. Not sure how quick a TT Cup is versus an M4 GT4 or Maserati GT4. Probably good to use the R8. The AMG GT R is small enough. Nothing above that in the AMG garage. However, it's just like an AMV8. So, it matches up nicely.

Why can't they just up the power in the TT and make it GT4 level? If not that then use a sedan that they have. For Mercedes is that really the only sports car they have? What happened to the CLK line?

Why can't they just up the power in the TT and make it GT4 level? If not that then use a sedan that they have. For Mercedes is that really the only sports car they have? What happened to the CLK line?
I just did a quick look for Audi. Why can't they use any of the S or A line cars? S3, S4, S5, etc? They're just sedans like the BMW M cars

When the series first started, the fwd TT was used. Lotus Eleven, 370Z, Corvette, Mustang, AM N24, Z4 coupe. AWD is not allowed. So, powering up a fwd TT to 425hp, might not be the best thing. As for the S5, S6 A5, etc, same thing. awd is not allowed. Convert it to rwd? how much does that cost?

I'm with you about sedans. I prefer GT sedans(usually with 4 seats, something like the Z is the exception) over the expensive, nearly super coupes. The Sin and X-Bow are the oddball cars. Sure, why make a C63 "Track" model and not race it in a series? It's in DTM after all. I can only think it's due to that brand's marketing, in GT racing. It's a "Customer Sports" car. Maybe if someone like Amil Frey, gets the blessing by AMG, to make a C63 GT4, maybe it could happen.

I'm sorry, am I missing something?

We have GT3 & GT4. Is there a suggestion to introduce a class below GT4? GT5?

I'm sorry, am I missing something?

We have GT3 & GT4. Is there a suggestion to introduce a class below GT4? GT5?
Nah. GT3 use the higher performing models in the manufacturer range. GT4 use the mid sport models. AMG and Audi are using their GT3(AMG GT R and R8) models in GT4. Rather than use a lesser model like the C63 and TT, to match the M4, Mustang, Cayman, 370Z, etc.

I think the answer is incredibly simple, if boring. Keeping all of your GT4/GT3 production together would vastly simplify production. I'd guess a large number of parts are shared at the very core of the cars (race cages, fuel tanks, etc.). I agree that it's rather boring - I'd much rather see other models used for other categories --- in fact that'd be a cool little FIA rules stipulation (GT4/GT3 must not share same basic chassis or something) --- but I think the reality is streamling production and minimizing parts. Builder/engineer cross-over is probably good.

The end benefit to the teams could easily be swapping up or down in categories - you'd keep a very similar product - and maintain your business/sales contact with the company. It all makes sense, but is not terribly exiciting.

I think the answer is incredibly simple, if boring. Keeping all of your GT4/GT3 production together would vastly simplify production. I'd guess a large number of parts are shared at the very core of the cars (race cages, fuel tanks, etc.). I agree that it's rather boring - I'd much rather see other models used for other categories --- in fact that'd be a cool little FIA rules stipulation (GT4/GT3 must not share same basic chassis or something) --- but I think the reality is streamling production and minimizing parts. Builder/engineer cross-over is probably good.

The end benefit to the teams could easily be swapping up or down in categories - you'd keep a very similar product - and maintain your business/sales contact with the company. It all makes sense, but is not terribly exiciting.
Plus a manufacturer can groom good Pro drivers for factory efforts by having them drive the same car essentially. I don't know why people consider it an issue. Aston has been doing it forever with the Vantage (and literally use the Vantage in all 3 major GT categories).

Audi use the R8 because their other cars are beyond too heavy and bulky for the more production based GT4 regs. McLaren only make MR cars. Mercedes have only one sports car that's light-ish (at the moment). It's not going to cause for an implosion of the class and makes the grid very diverse. It's not like those cars wipe the field, the past CTSCC and FIA GT4 races this year showed that.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would vastly prefer to see different models used...I'm always for different race cars - I just think the reason behind using the same platform are very logical.

I was surprised that Audi said they already had something around 120 GT4 models of the R8 in teams hands?

Iain has some good points in that interview but, IMO, Australian Production Car racing has it totally wrong in some areas.

His BMW M4 cost him $150k & then he went and spent another $150k so he could race the thing!
Hasn't been the most reliable car either.

The more a potential competitor has to do to the car from showroom condition, the more people are going to look at the numbers & say "Meh."

Don't know how this will go down in either thread
https://north.gt4series.com/news/313/sro-confirms-2018-gt4-european-series-calendar

SRO Motorsports Group has confirmed the calendar for the 2018 GT4 European Series. The series joins the Blancpain GT Series Sprint Cup at all five rounds next season and will also race at Spa-Francorchamps. Live coverage of every event on the 2018 calendar is guaranteed.

2018 GT4 European Series - Calendar

7-8 April - Zolder, Belgium
5-6 May - Brands Hatch, Great Britain
23-24 June - Misano, Italy
21-22 July - Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
1-2 September - Hungaroring, Hungary
15-16 September - Nürburgring, Germany

SRM M4 GT4

Rico-BMW-640x424.png

Meh...progressively less reason to watch the PWC. Just really can't get excited about it. I think when it comes to sports car racing my heart is really with endurance racing, so that style or format is what I prefer. I just can't get motivated by 40-50 minute races or 30-minute stints. Feels rather false.

Back