Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

  • Thread starter Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,401 comments
  • 277,070 views
Problems at CTSC numbers down considerably this year, here's an overview.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/...rtscar-championship-whats-going-on-in-gs.html
I find this odd:

GM was proud of the fact that this Camaro was very similar to the street version when it was released in 2014. Mark Kent, Chevrolet Racing Director stated in 2014 when the car was debuted, that “apart from series-mandated equipment and the specialized suspension components needed for endurance racing, the Z/28.R is as close to a production-spec race car as you’ll find.”

But then...

...rumored to be $350,000 price tag...

How does a $71k car suddenly become $350k when it's "as close to a production-spec race car as you'll find"? Just doesn't make sense to me.

I know multiple teams have left and are running PWC now, but I prefer the CTSCC series. Hopefully they get this stuff straightened out.
 
Might as well start a Porsche Cayman Cup. I'd be down to watch that.
 
This is funny: "Is IMSA telling us that those cars are no longer competitive and you need to buy a $240K Mustang or a $165K Cayman?".

Crazy how much cheaper the Porsche is.
Porsche has comparative volume and the infrastructure to make customer racing cars like that. The GT350R has... Two copies?
 
Yeah. And personally I thought $165K was pretty damn cheap assuming it's a full turn-key racecar with tech support, some spare parts.

I'd love to see Ford get into a much more streamlined customer racecar program but I doubt it heavily.
 
Porsche has comparative volume and the infrastructure to make customer racing cars like that. The GT350R has... Two copies?
They're both based on production cars with similar modifications. You just don't expect the Cayman to be cheaper. But maybe it's just me.
 
They're both based on production cars with similar modifications. You just don't expect the Cayman to be cheaper. But maybe it's just me.
I get what you're saying, its weird when the Porsche is cheaper than the Ford. But Porsche might as well be the Honda or Toyota of the racing car market, while Ford is the McLaren. Due to the thusfar limited run of the GT350R-C and the fact that its based on an engine package that is new to Ford and unique to the car, there was likely a lot more development that went into the car because so much is new, and it doesnt have the volume to make up for it.

Porsche meanwhile, has a very well established customer racing channel and is essentially using tech that isnt that far different from whats been used in Porsche sportscars of yore over the last few decades. And the model has the global volume to mitigate the costs.

From what I understand, the Cayman does need to be further tweaked/modified to make it fully comply with IMSA regulations so I wonder if that price is before or after that fact.
 
I get what you're saying, its weird when the Porsche is cheaper than the Ford. But Porsche might as well be the Honda or Toyota of the racing car market, while Ford is the McLaren. Due to the thusfar limited run of the GT350R-C and the fact that its based on an engine package that is new to Ford and unique to the car, there was likely a lot more development that went into the car because so much is new, and it doesnt have the volume to make up for it.

Porsche meanwhile, has a very well established customer racing channel and is essentially using tech that isnt that far different from whats been used in Porsche sportscars of yore over the last few decades. And the model has the global volume to mitigate the costs. (And thats not even counting the GT3 Cup, R and RSR).

From what I understand, the Cayman does need to be further tweaked/modified to make it fully comply with IMSA regulations so I wonder if that price is before or after that fact.

Bottomline, Porsche treats its racing car business very seriously, while Ford, given whats been said about the GT program, considers it a marketing exercise. If they make money from the sales of racing Mustangs, thats fine, but they dont bother pricing them competitively because its not ultimately their goal.

EDIT: Whoops, meant to edit. Damn mobile
 
I wonder how restricted those are, last I recall the M235i Racing was much faster than a PWC TC/Conti ST car.. They look really awesome though!
 
Unfortunately "Screamin' Sicilian" pizza is terrible. :)
 
That was some good racing! :eek:

Hopefully the rest of the PWC action this week is just as good.
I haven't had a chance to look yet, but is there a replay up anywhere yet, or did you watch the livestream?
 
I was at work so I missed it. Hopefully they put them up for later viewing.
 
Good question, does PWC do a full race post on YouTube or similar site?
 
Good question, does PWC do a full race post on YouTube or similar site?

It'll be reairing on CBS Sports Network as well as uploaded on their official site.
 
I don't have television coverage, so it'd have to be online for me to be able to catch it.

I watch all of the Rolex stuff when it comes on YouTube etc.
 
For anyone interested, race 2 for the TC classes is in about 25 minutes (11:45 CST). Race 1 for GTS is at 4:15 CST.

Stream
 
Was able to catch the finish. Cool to see a specific TC-A car win (very close!) since I recently purchased one. 👍

And it's funny someone was wondering about the M235i's BOP and here it gets a win the first weekend it races.
 
Back