Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,869 comments
That's great news & just what they need with a totally new car that has no previous data to call on.

Just like in other multi-car teams that work together on set up, the more different directions they can go in per session, the more things they can throw at the car, and then converge on the set up direction that works the best.

In a single car scenario, you can see when compared with the above just how steep that development curve is.

I learnt something new about GT4 in this article.

I always thought that you had to run the gearbox that came with the car, irrespective of how many ratios that included.

Porsche PDK = 7 forward ratios
Aston Martin = 8 forward ratios

I didn't know all cars were limited to 6 speeds, and I'm disappointed in that.
I know the M4 and Supra use a 7 speed. I remember Tony Longhurst explaining his then new M4 used the road car gearbox. I think it's still a seven speed. Edit: it's still uses the 7-speed with ZF software. Not sure if that cuts seventh gear though.

That seventh and eighth gears in the AM are probably geared at a crazy 400kph for low rpm highway cruising. ;)

I know the M4 and Supra use a 7 speed. I remember Tony Longhurst explaining his then new M4 used the road car gearbox. I think it's still a seven speed. Edit: it's still uses the 7-speed with ZF software. Not sure if that cuts seventh gear though.

That seventh and eighth gears in the AM are probably geared at a crazy 400kph for low rpm highway cruising. ;)
Yes, I understand about the overdrive ratios for 2000rpm @ 400km/h etc...

But what about the Mustang or Camaro that have the 10-speed AT?
AFAIK, they have to run the 6MT.
Still l8mited to 6 ratios & have to work a lot harder than pulling paddles with the added ability and pressure of missing a shift.

Just seems like an unfair playing field.

Yes, I understand about the overdrive ratios for 2000rpm @ 400km/h etc...

But what about the Mustang or Camaro that have the 10-speed AT?
AFAIK, they have to run the 6MT.
Still l8mited to 6 ratios & have to work a lot harder than pulling paddles with the added ability and pressure of missing a shift.

Just seems like an unfair playing field.
I might have to watch videos of old and new GT4 Mustangs.
Plus the Camaro from early days of GT4 European Series and the GT4s by V8 Racing. Be worth checking those with the Camaros in early GT4 USA.

The original old school joint. FR500GT4
  • DRIVELINE
  • T-56 6 speed transmission
  • 3.55 Rear 8.8" Trac Tech C Locker
  • Ford Performance Performance Parts clutch

The official 2017 Mustang GT4
  • Holinger RD-6 sequential paddle shift transmission
  • 3.31:1 Mustang GT4-specific limited slip differential
  • ZF RCS 200 clutch
  • Bosch Motorsports MS 6.1 ECU, PBX 90 PDM, Mustang GT4-specific engine control software and calibration, MoTeC C185 data acquisition system
2024 Mustang GT4
  • Paddle Shifters With Pneumatic Actuation
  • Holinger Dog-Ring Gearbox
2017 GT4.R
Backing up the race-prepped LT1 is an Xtrac sequential six-speed transmission with pneumatic paddle shifters. As with the LT1, the use of a sequential transmission also required a waiver from the SRO Technical Department. At the rear, a limited-slip differential is also sourced from Xtrac.
2009-2010 Camaro GT4
Gearbox Tremec 6060 six-speed manual transmission with close-ratio gearing
I remember reading in the Top Gear Australia issue debuting of GT3 and GT4 several GT4 cars using manual transmissions. Crazy how long ago it was when V8s were loosing the H-pattern at the time.

Just a bit of backstory how the first Camaro GT4 went to Europe.

The original old school joint. FR500GT4

The official 2017 Mustang GT4

2024 Mustang GT4

2017 GT4.R

2009-2010 Camaro GT4

I remember reading in the Top Gear Australia issue debuting of GT3 and GT4 several GT4 cars using manual transmissions. Crazy how long ago it was when V8s were loosing the H-pattern at the time.

Just a bit of backstory how the first Camaro GT4 went to Europe.
Great work there bud 👏

The Tremec 6060 is the go to manual 'box for anything high torque, but it's anything but quick & slick shifting.

It looks like there's not a lot of showroom spec as far as driveline is concerned anyway.

Actually looking forward to this season. No doubt it’s because of the new cars. Been watching the more potent USA GR Cup 2023 series.
Photo by TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Australia on December 20, 2023. May be an image of racing vehicles and poster.

Zoe Woods is also running a 718 in GT4 Australia.

Speaking of which.

Whichever manufacturer we don't have already for the point of difference..... except for the BMW.

Whenever I see the front of that M4....😖🤢

We need to see an entry list for Round 1.

Stiiiilll waiting for the list. We just know of the sixteen cars that were to race at Sandown.
A weird one is this weekend's events in Tassie. The Ben Newman AMG GT4 is racing in a multi-car sedan series.

Stiiiilll waiting for the list. We just know of the sixteen cars that were to race at Sandown.
A weird one is this weekend's events in Tassie. The Ben Newman AMG GT4 is racing in a multi-car sedan series.

16 cars for Sandown should see an increase for Rd.1 at the Island, cause there were cars still 'on the boat'.

Not sure where Ben Newman calls home, or where he keeps the AMG, but if it's not Tassie then he's spent quite a bit on a Symmons Plains shakedown for next weekend.

16 cars for Sandown should see an increase for Rd.1 at the Island, cause there were cars still 'on the boat'.

Not sure where Ben Newman calls home, or where he keeps the AMG, but if it's not Tassie then he's spent quite a bit on a Symmons Plains shakedown for next weekend.
For sure. I’m interested to see who ordered that Mustang. Just hope the AMG isn’t damaged before PI.

Yes that was just showing those makes.

Watching 7+ and that category the AMG GT4 is in are Sparco Tin Tops. Commentators saying that category is new due to allowing Targa Tasmania cars to race on a circuit.

Edit: I tell you what, since teams and cars were being announced and revealed for 2024, I haven’t seen an AMG GT4 in the European Series. Maybe a team/car will announced before the season starts, but I’m not even seeing AMG in the competitor icons on the site. The car is visible as one of the manufacturers in the drop down just not as an official competitor on the site.

Last edited:
I love the MX-5s, always a hoot and this year I'm gonna see them in real life for the first time - but also really looking forward to the Mustang Challenge. I hope for some really good sounds in person, gonna be there at Mid-Ohio at the first 2 rounds.

Back