Production Car Racing (GT4, CTSCC, PWC GTS/TC, MX-5 Cup, etc)Touring Cars 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,869 comments
I love the MX-5s, always a hoot and this year I'm gonna see them in real life for the first time - but also really looking forward to the Mustang Challenge. I hope for some really good sounds in person, gonna be there at Mid-Ohio at the first 2 rounds.

I think it will be interesting. Let's see if they can dice it up like MX-5 and even Porsche Carrera Cup do.

Here’s a quick look at that historic Camry.

Still waiting for that official GT4 entry list.

Here’s a quick look at that historic Camry.

Still waiting for that official GT4 entry list.
I remember that Camry being super competitive and a proper PITA to the more fancied opposition, driving XR6 Falcons, V6 Commodores and Magnas.

David Ratcliff was a proper pilot behind the wheel, and depending on the track, could even trouble some of the V8s.

If it's mechanically fresh, is set up well, and the drivers extract the maximum out of their package, it could potentially shock where it ends up at the end of the day.

In the states there was a potent Supercharged TRD package for that model as well as the Solara, which is a 2nd-gen two-door Camry with a nicer body.
The base 195hp was more than enough. Would be interesting to know how much power the Bathurst Camry is making. No doubt it's way lighter than the standard car. I'd have one. ;)

It'd bring back the old TOCA 2 game nostalgia.

Last edited:
In the states there was a potent Supercharged TRD package for that model as well as the Solara, which is a 2nd-gen two-door Camry with a nicer body.
The base 195hp was more than enough. Would be interesting to know how much power the Bathurst Camry is making. No doubt it's way lighter than the standard car. I'd have one. ;)

It'd bring back the old TOCA 2 game nostalgia.
I'm not fully up to date with the regs for the 6hr, but I think they're only allowed to blueprint the internals, and that the exhaust is free from somewhere near the first cat converter.
Pre or post, I couldn't say.
The Camry is a 3.0 DOHC per bank, 24 valve.

In the days before Gazoo, TRD set up in Australia to market performance oriented cars as an alternative to Tickford/FPV and HSV.

Two models made it to market before the idea was killed by the then Toyota Australia chief.
TRD Aurion was a Harrop supercharged 3.5V6 quad cam 24v making 241kW.
It was capable of making more.
This engine would go on to power Lotus' Evora, Exige and Emira.

The other model was a TRD HiLux.
225kW & 453Nm.
From just above idle to around 5700rpm, it generated more torque than the standard vehicle's maximum. 0-100km/h in low 7s.

TRD Australia ceased to exist from 31 March 2009.

I’ve been living here since 2008. I remember that. However, I just missed those in the showroom when I started working at the local Toyota dealership in 2010.

There seems to be a Bathurst 6H YouTube channel, but not sure how legit it is. It has links to another streaming service for NBC Sports.

There seems to be a Bathurst 6H YouTube channel, but not sure how legit it is. It has links to another streaming service for NBC Sports.
Some good support classes racing this weekend too.

As for the 6-hour, really hoping for an upset.
Yet another race for BMWs with everyone else playing a supporting role, won't be good for anyone other than the winners.

Some good support classes racing this weekend too.

As for the 6-hour, really hoping for an upset.
Yet another race for BMWs with everyone else playing a supporting role, won't be good for anyone other than the winners.
That’s why I liked when the 335 was used to race rather than an M3/M4.

This season will be one not to miss. Cant wait.

Last edited:
That’s why I liked when the 335 was used to race rather than an M3/M4.

This season will be one not to miss. Cant wait.
If I was writing the rulebook for the 6hr, the first rule would be to enforce a $100k cap on the eligible entry list.

This is meant to be a professional step, or goal, for those in grassroots motorsport.
Why should you have to fork out BMW M car money to aim for the win?

Watching the Excels. Bad time to hit that wall at the elbow.

Edit: Well, at least a Seton is the best Ford.

Last edited:
SBS need to brush up on their ad breaks.

Missing the start of both the Hyundai Excel AND Nissan Pulsar races. Really?

Also, the clean up crews really need to pick up the pace & be directed to keep to the race schedule.

Foe the Formula Ford guys to have to start late & have a shorter race, because the preceeding HQ race took too long to clean up is poor form.

On a more positive note, how good was it to watch the 6hr qualifying sessions, and see those cars scrabbling for traction and moving around on the absolute limit.
Yes, 20 seconds slower than a Supercar, but so much more enjoyable than watching something that looks like it's on rails.

I was looking in the ads for an Excel. :lol:

Yeah, it’s good to come back to reality with production cars. The amount of VXRs was interesting. It’s like a mini BTCC with those three. ;)
We’ll see though. As the commentators pointed out with heat and the BMWs. I’m probably going to miss some of the race as my wife wants to go see Godzilla vs King for her birthday tomorrow.

Just got back and the race is stopped. Lancer into wall at Skyline. And another car(Alice Buckley- look like a left front tyre failure) off at the Chase.

Edit: Camaro and Mustang battling for first.

Edit2: tree way pass at Sulman Park and the camera cuts away for a few seconds. :lol:

Edit3: aww no. Big crash into the wall.

Edit:4 Well, close finish but…

Happy for P4 and P9. Good stuff!

Last edited:
One more sleep.
IMG_3882.jpeg

We’re getting there.
With the Island being only 1 hour down the road, I'm really tempted to go & see all this in 3D.

It will depend on the fickle weather, and how enthusiastic the leg is feeling.

It's not like you can take your supplies, find a seat in the grandstand & watch it all unfold like you can at Sandown.
There's not many seats anywhere the Island.

With the Island being only 1 hour down the road, I'm really tempted to go & see all this in 3D.

It will depend on the fickle weather, and how enthusiastic the leg is feeling.

It's not like you can take your supplies, find a seat in the grandstand & watch it all unfold like you can at Sandown.
There's not many seats anywhere the Island.
Yeah, it’s not cool that the little cafe area where the displays are has high enclosed fencing(well, that was during my visit to the circuit 10 years ago).

Yeah, you can count me out of ever doing a trip to Phillip Island. Might find a nice spot to sit but I’d die of hypothermia before the race is over. The Bend is the same, I refuse to go until they start holding races at a reasonable time of year or plant some damn trees to block the wind.

Yeah, you can count me out of ever doing a trip to Phillip Island. Might find a nice spot to sit but I’d die of hypothermia before the race is over. The Bend is the same, I refuse to go until they start holding races at a reasonable time of year or plant some damn trees to block the wind.
It's certainly not the place to be when the weather is unfavourable.

Sitting on the edge of Bass Strait, it can be the gateway to hypothermia just as Barry Sheene described it all those years ago.

Having said that, it's no good when the heat is on either as it was during the Classic meeting.
Three days of mid-30s temps with no shade to speak of, kept me away from the one race meeting I want to attend all year.

Finally, the other issue with the Island, is access to the pit/paddock area for those of us with mobility issues.

To have to tackle the stairs of the walkway over the main straight, is almost unbearable.

Parking access is only available to those with a disabled permit. Something I don't quite qualify for.

So excited I posted in the wrong thread. Haha.

Edit: perfect for me to replicate. :)

Last edited:
Back