Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Hey Ian,

What is the stance on us for modders in pCARS2? In pCARS2, you let us have a little freedom and helped us modders by allowing them to be activated really easily so we didn't have to crack open the game. We will get this in pcARS2?

I have also realised you have used some obfuscation in the 3D files which prevents us from creating new ones. Will we get any insight on this? I'm sure it is so no one can steal the models which I totally respect, but this does block out the creation of new ones, so us modders are locked out.

Would love some info on the stance on modding you guys have for pCARS2.
Don't see why it should be too different. Especially regarding liveries.

Yes. We have new physics and from that falls out new FFB. For this one we're shipping (as of now) 3 FFB preset options (we default 1 of course) that you can single click and get (hopefully!) the feel you prefer from the feedback. I'm biased but it's a huge step forward from the rocket science we had before. That rocket science is still hidden in sub menus and accessible for the more masochistic :)
Thank you for saying this.

I own Project CARS 1 on PC, but could never get past the "numb" feeling it left me with in the FFB. Understand you want all of those options there for folks, but having good baseline presets will go a long way to making the game more accessible.

It's not that I don't enjoy the ability to adjust all of that, I personally just do not have the time to try and dial in a set up that's acceptable to me.

EDK
Thank you for saying this.

I own Project Cars 1 on PC, but could never get past the "numb" feeling it left me with in the FFB. Understand you want all of those options there for folks, but having good baseline presets will go a long way to making the game more accessible.

It's not that I don't enjoy the ability to adjust all of that, I personally just do not have the time to try and dial in a set up that's acceptable to me.

In all fairness, I think this was as much of a user mindset issue as it was a result of the numerous settings. Yes, the settings were overwhelming, especially for someone who didn't speak the lingo (myself included), but it also seemed to me that a lot of the complaints stemmed form the fact that the FFB model was COMPLETELY different from other racing games/sims.

In all honesty, I found Project CARS FFB to be absolutely amazing, because it mimicked exactly what I feel in my real car every day on the road. For example, it didn't give me any of the fake rumble strip vibration that I don't feel in my real car. That is felt through the chassis in a real car and not through the wheel, and I think it was this more than anything else that caused people to complain about the FFB. And at the same time, it is what made it so much better for me. I could feel the side load and the torque loads on the front wheels, and feel the loss of grip without being distracted by the jarring vibrations from the rumble strips.

If you ever really take the time to compare what you feel through the wheel in a real road car with what you feel in Project CARS you'll understand what I mean.

Sorry if I took this off track. I don't want to drag up the old argument again, but just feel that SMS has gotten a lot of flack over something that I feel was truly cutting edge and a game changer.

In all fairness, I think this was as much of a user mindset issue as it was a result of the numerous settings. Yes, the settings were overwhelming, especially for someone who didn't speak the lingo (myself included), but it also seemed to me that a lot of the complaints stemmed form the fact that the FFB model was COMPLETELY different from other racing games/sims.

In all honesty, I found Project CARS FFB to be absolutely amazing, because it mimicked exactly what I feel in my real car every day on the road. For example, it didn't give me any of the fake rumble strip vibration that I don't feel in my real car. That is felt through the chassis in a real car and not through the wheel, and I think it was this more than anything else that caused people to complain about the FFB. And at the same time, it is what made it so much better for me. I could feel the side load and the torque loads on the front wheels, and feel the loss of grip without being distracted by the jarring vibrations from the rumble strips.
Well, I race in real cars on real tracks, so my feedback is based on that as much as it is comparing it to other sims.
Since when racing sims you do not have the sensation of the car stepping out underneath you, you need something in the wheel feedback to tell you what's going on. That was not there for me.

It could also have as much to do with my wheel setup and how it adapted to the game. I just could not personally come to grips with it.

That's why it's refreshing for me to hear that there will be a baseline that might tune it in a bit more out of the box.

EDK
Well, I race in real cars on real tracks, so my feedback is based on that as much as it is comparing it to other sims.
Since when racing sims you do not have the sensation of the car stepping out underneath you, you need something in the wheel feedback to tell you what's going on. That was not there for me.

It could also have as much to do with my wheel setup and how it adapted to the game. I just could not personally come to grips with it.

That's why it's refreshing for me to hear that there will be a baseline that might tune it in a bit more out of the box.

It definitely took some effort to get the feedback setup, but once set properly (for me), that "stepping out" sensation is most definitely there. I am currently racing the Ruf RGT-8 GT3 in our league with my trusty old G27. I can feel the back end twitch quite well if I downshift too quickly for example. Also under throttle application, if I am just a bit to hard on it, I can feel the car's back end wanting to pull sideways.

Now with that said, you do have much better wheel hardware than I do, so it should be there for you as well. The only thing I can think of that would be different that might impact it (and I do NOT mean this in a negative way) is that (I assume) you are on PS4 whereas I am on PC. I know there were differences between pad users on the 2 platforms, so perhaps those same differences carried over to the wheels?

Anyways, I don't want this to become an argument. I just wanted ot voice a small amount of support for SMS, since there is so much negativity around the FFB model, when I personally feel it is one of the best out there. But yes, we ALL agree that it needs to be more intuitive to setup. Sometimes giving too many options is a bad thing :)

It definitely took some effort to get the feedback setup, but once set properly (for me), that "stepping out" sensation is most definitely there. I am currently racing the Ruf RGT-8 GT3 in our league with my trusty old G27. I can feel the back end twitch quite well if I downshift too quickly for example. Also under throttle application, if I am just a bit to hard on it, I can feel the car's back end wanting to pull sideways.

Now with that said, you do have much better wheel hardware than I do, so it should be there for you as well. The only thing I can think of that would be different that might impact it (and I do NOT mean this in a negative way) is that (I assume) you are on PS4 whereas I am on PC. I know there were differences between pad users on the 2 platforms, so perhaps those same differences carried over to the wheels?

Anyways, I don't want this to become an argument. I just wanted ot voice a small amount of support for SMS, since there is so much negativity around the FFB model, when I personally feel it is one of the best out there. But yes, we ALL agree that it needs to be more intuitive to setup. Sometimes giving too many options is a bad thing :)
I am on PC. And I even had it out earlier this week, showing it to a friend who was visiting. The game visuals, car selection and track selection are fantastic, it's worth showing off.

I would be the first to admit that I never put in the full effort to figure out the FFB thing. That was down to circumstances as much as anything. I gave the game a fair shot for 4-6 weeks, then found out I would be relocating out of state. So all my energy went into getting a house ready to be on the market and getting my life ready for and through the process of relocation.

Once I came back to Sim Racing, I stepped back into the community here on GT, just never got back into pCARS.

@EDK I also want to apologize if I offended you with this statement:

"If you ever really take the time to compare what you feel through the wheel in a real road car with what you feel in Project CARS you'll understand what I mean."

I know meanings can get lost in text. I meant the "you" as a generic reference, and not specifically YOU if you you know what I mean? :D

When you get the FFB set up correctly with a decent wheel I find it some of the best around on PC at least. The complicated nature of the fb in PC1 is a double edged sword. It gives a great deal of ability to tweak for the feel you want but isn't accessible enough for all. It seems with PC2 the tweakability (new word!) is still going to be there but there will also be a number of good base lines for those who don't want to go too in depth.

For anyone struggling with ffb in PC1 I would suggest checking out this excellent thread created by Jack Spade http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

When you get the FFB set up correctly with a decent wheel I find it some of the best around on PC at least. The complicated nature of the fb in PC1 is a double edged sword. It gives a great deal of ability to tweak for the feel you want but isn't accessible enough for all. It seems with PC2 the tweakability (new word!) is still going to be there but there will also be a number of good base lines for those who don't want to go too in depth.

For anyone struggling with ffb in PC1 I would suggest checking out this excellent thread created by Jack Spade http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

Jack Spade's settings made ALL the difference in the world. The biggest struggle with pCARS 1 FFB was that not only do you have to setup the general FFB settings, but then set up each car individually. While this technically makes sense from the "each car's geometries are different" standpoint, it certainly was excessive for the average player.

I personally am using Jack Spade's Fy+SoPLateral settings.

Others have also created similar FFB settings, so while Jack was the first, he's not necessarily the only one, and might not be the best for everyone. There are differing opinions, so my advice on this is TRY THEM ALL. Figure out what you like and then run with those.

On PC it is much easier to experiment than on the consoles because you simply drop the appropriate files in the right folder and done. Never touch a menu again. With the consoles you have to manually edit each car.

@EDK I also want to apologize if I offended you with this statement:

"If you ever really take the time to compare what you feel through the wheel in a real road car with what you feel in Project CARS you'll understand what I mean."

I know meanings can get lost in text. I meant the "you" as a generic reference, and not specifically YOU if you you know what I mean? :D
We are good. 👍

I was not offended at all, I just wanted you to realize that my comments were not driven from being a GT fanboy with the blinders on saying "This is not GT!!".

There are issues wit the FFb imo, it's not so much sop but Fx, in fact the best result for me is to turn down fx parameter as i think it is broken, but then feeling grip is just not as good as other sims, road feel in pcars is very good imo kerbs going over crests is really realistic but it could just do with a bit more of the low end detailed forces for some of the race cars, biggest problem for me though the cars feel unconvincing under breaking but that is not just ffb but handling also.

Hi there ian or any of those in the know. Will there be any loyalty rewards/trophies/leaderboard, etc., for players that stick with a single manufacturer? i've mainly driven the Ginetta G40 and GT4 Mustang(PC2 will definitely have me using the GT-R GT3 and that 240Z GTU). I'm thinking in terms of a player with most wins or races done in a particular car.

Any specific reason on why those two tracks ?

Croft is another one of the fantastic tracks for touring car racing alongside Snetterton, Oulton Park, Donington, Brands and Silverstone and it's inclusion would be welcome.
Knockhill is one of my all time favourite tracks that I haven't seen included in racing games for years outside of PC mods.

Haha I really hope someone called Richard Head buys the game so we can really test the censorship :lol:

It is completely off topic but over here in the Netherlands we do have a lot of Dicks with a capital D ;)

On a more serious note: Although it is already written I/we really hope that PSVR support will come available sometime. Maybe Day 1 is too early, but day 2 is also satisfactory. The Project Cars site already mentions VR support, but probably PC first?? PSVR is the best selling VR headset and SMS is well aware of that fact :)

It is completely off topic but over here in the Netherlands we do have a lot of Dicks with a capital D ;)

On a more serious note: Although it is already written I/we really hope that PSVR support will come available sometime. Maybe Day 1 is too early, but day 2 is also satisfactory. The Project Cars site already mentions VR support, but probably PC first?? PSVR is the best selling VR headset and SMS is well aware of that fact :)
I thought they were Dijks? :P

Hey Ian,

What is the stance on us for modders in pCARS2? In pCARS2, you let us have a little freedom and helped us modders by allowing them to be activated really easily so we didn't have to crack open the game. We will get this in pcARS2?

I have also realised you have used some obfuscation in the 3D files which prevents us from creating new ones. Will we get any insight on this? I'm sure it is so no one can steal the models which I totally respect, but this does block out the creation of new ones, so us modders are locked out.

Would love some info on the stance on modding you guys have for pCARS2.

We greatly respect the work of modders and many of us in the company came from the modding community way back. We are though fed up seeing our car assets being used (and often sold) everywhere so we have added another layer of protection specifically there. But for all other areas everything is accessible as it was before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back