Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Guys please first read the previous pages before asking questions.(starts on page 19)

Only 1 question will it be fun and playable with controller now? The reason that 1 was a fail for me.....
This is a great question mainly because I have a great answer :)

We've massively reworked our pad input filters to try to pre-empt what the user wants to happen, in coordination with what actually happens in game. It's been rewritten from scratch and we've been influenced a lot by what our competitors do here.

What we want to happen is that we don't need to build in subtle understeer for controllability to allow the average person to enjoy the experience on a game pad. I personally have put away my wheel for pCARS2. I'm using a pad exclusively and I'm insisting that we retain the dynamics of the car but allow the player to control such things as sharp front end turn in and on the apex and on-throttle balance with full throttle oversteer and opposite lock controllability (if that makes sense)... That was our aim 2 year ago and I think we've achieved it. I think it's a very affirming experience for pad users now.

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

1st of all, let me tell you that I'm veeeeeeeeeeeery impressed and pleased with all I've watched so far, thumbs up SMS !
Not gonna enumerate everything, but you deserve to at least know that I'm pleased with the in race hud, the race results, the graphics, the sound, opponents infos (both 'panels' on the left of the screen)...
Thanks for reacting to players inputs, keep it up, I love it :bowdown:

2nd, I've got a few more questions for you ^_^ ;

- That one is related to both PCars 1 & 2
Are default setups suggested by pro drivers you guys work with ?
What I'd like to know actually is wether default setups reflect how pro drivers feel cars irl :-)

Concerning Pcars 2 specifically...
- I noticed that no damages are applied, is it because you did not implement it yet or you turned it off ?
- Particles (snow, dust....) stick to cars sides, front and rear but not on the windshield (unless I missed it ?), is it intentional ?
- Can you tell us about penalties (car contact & track cutting) please ?

[Edit] forgot a question, silly me ^^

@IanBell My system runs with an i7 4770k (stock clock) and a GTX 1070 with 32GB of RAM. How well would you say your game will perform? Enough for 1080p 60fps at Max settings?

It should run very well. Right now (remember: WIP, it can change again!), I can run it on my GTX 1070 and an i5 on max settings@1080p&60fps on most of the tracks. With the same settings as in pcars 1, I get slightly more fps in pcars2.

Hi Ian
I would like to know if there will be a demo for PC2?

After the not so good experience from PC1, i want to know how much it improved.
From your reply about controller gameplay you seems confident about it.
So is there chance to let us the controller users try it with our own hands to regain confidence?

Thank you.

Sorry for my bad English.

Hi @IanBell I am huge fan of Endurance races like LeMans 24hours or Nurburgring 24h. I used to play a lot on PS4 with grids like 30, 40 or even 50 AI cars on multiclass. Is this size of grids, are still possible for console versions of PCars 2? I hope it won't be dump down to 16-20 cars on track.
Any sacrifices for console versions instead of some graphics details?

Any news about PS4Pro support? Will standard PS4 Version will suffer?

Hi @IanBell I am huge fan of Endurance races like LeMans 24hours or Nurburgring 24h. I used to play a lot on PS4 with grids like 30, 40 or even 50 AI cars on multiclass. Is this size of grids, are still possible for console versions of PCars 2? I hope it won't be dump down to 16-20 cars on track.
Any sacrifices for console versions instead of some graphics details?

Any news about PS4Pro support? Will standard PS4 Version will suffer?
Makes no sense why they would change that offline. Although they're looking at increase for online.

Makes no sense why they would change that offline. Although they're looking at increase for online.

I hope so. But since most of the Race Sims on PS4 have lower GRID sizes (Assetto Corsa only 16 cars) i was starting to worry about it ;) Also, a lot of new features are coming with PCars 2 i was wondering is PS4 is still capable of it ;)

And with new car list. LeMans/Bathurst/Nordshleife/Daytona etc Endurance races will be definately great :)

I hope so. But since most of the Race Sims on PS4 have lower GRID sizes (Assetto Corsa only 16 cars) i was starting to worry about it ;) Also, a lot of new features are coming with PCars 2 i was wondering is PS4 is still capable of it ;)

And with new car list. LeMans/Bathurst/Nordshleife/Daytona etc Endurance races will be definately great :)
Don't worry about it. No point for them to decrease any cars on track. Especially with a focus on various types of motorsport.

Other question. We have confirmed Rallycross. How about Rally Stages? Not WRC licensed because, I know someone else have it, but some even fictional Rally Stages? :D

Also is custom grid possible? Selecting single cars for AI to make your own challenges/motorsport types? I would love to make something close to classic LeMans with LMP 900 and GT1 cars ;)

@IanBell

First of all, how cool is this? Communicating with the game developer directly!👍

Can we please have true-to-life car audio? CARS1 did a decent enough job on consoles but I'd really like it to nail car sounds 100%. It already has a great physics model to begin with, graphics are reasonably good on consoles. Great audio would really hit the sweet spot. :cheers:
For PCars2 there is a complete rework of the audio engine and a move to the FMod system.

Suddenly, @IanBell pops up on GTPlanet!
Question: What progress have you made towards playability on controller? It was a major problem for me in PCars, and was my biggest gripe overall. Especially on the limit of the car's performance.
I posted this yesterday in response to the same question:

A great deal of effort is being made in development to improve controller optimization in PCars2. Ian mentioned yesterday that he's only playing the game with a pad throughout the development cycle. It was a huge issue amongst the console player base and it's been addressed. You'll have to wait and see how it turns out but from what I can see, the improvement is substantial.

EDIT: Found this from @IanBell yesterday:
We've massively reworked our pad input filters to try to pre-empt what the user wants to happen, in coordination with what actually happens in game. It's been rewritten from scratch and we've been influenced a lot by what our competitors do here.
What we want to happen is that we don't need to build in subtle understeer for controllability to allow the average person to enjoy the experience on a game pad. I personally have put away my wheel for pCARS2. I'm using a pad exclusively and I'm insisting that we retain the dynamics of the car but allow the player to control such things as sharp front end turn in and on the apex and on-throttle balance with full throttle oversteer and opposite lock controllability (if that makes sense)... That was our aim 2 year ago and I think we've achieved it. I think it's a very affirming experience for pad users now.

If you look up in the web for videos from the press event they had, you can find a lot of info and feedback on the handling with the gamepad.

@IanBell
  1. Will Project CARS 2 utilise DirectX 12 or Vulkan?
  2. Does Project CARS 2 utilise a great deal of multiple processor cores and/or threads?
  3. I have a Core i7-860 processor in my computer (last time I built a new computer was back in 2010). Will the i7-860 make the cut for pCARS 2 or will I need to get a new computer with a much faster processor (e.g. i7-7000 Kaby Lake or upcoming Skylake-E or AMD's upcoming Zen processors)?

Ian, What do you have for the United States fan base. I know you said you had a few surprises. Daytona, Indy, Texas, Watkins Glen, and Sonama are confirmed. I'm hoping some of the tracks originally meant for PCARS1 are in.. Charolette (Concord), Dover etc. Also Hope we have a decent NASCAR season in career to do as a main teir. Also hoping for Chevy Stock Cars.

As someone who was looking forward with great anticipation to the first game, only to pre-order it full price, & then be let down by the huge amount of bugs (not to mention the bewildering array of FFB options that even Einstein himself wouldv'e struggled with); I have to say that I still admire & respect the vision that you guys have with this game. I am stunned & my jaw keeps dropping with all the details of what you're are doing. You have the best attitidue in the business towards making a sim, & I applaud you for it. However, once bitten twice shy; so I still won't be pre-ordering this time around. However, even though I always said I would never buy P CARS 2; I might consider it after others have reported on thier experiences.

Keep up the good work!

:D

Hi Scaff. That's a yes and a yes.
Ferrari F40 in PC2 Iaaannn! Make It happen! Teach Kunos how such monster grip car shouldn't be that unrealistically difficult to drive in real life!!

Seriously F40 in pc2 would be a dream come true. Any chances?. Sure you and your team are all fans of old iconic cars as seen in pc1.

Ford GT40 as a challenegr for nerdgasmic face offs would be another wellcome add-on. Bring them on!

Last edited:
@IanBell

With regards to the Flags and Penalties system, have those options been separated now? One of my main concerns for league races was that flags and penalties were a single check box. The flags system was very much desired for the league races, especially since we do a lot of multi-class races. The penalties system though was too risky for us to use. Sadly it was an all or nothing scenario in Project CARS. Will Project CARS2 allow us to select these independantly?

Hi Ian. Project cars 2 is looking & sounding great, new features are awesome too I wish you the best of luck with it. Allot of modern cars in the clips so far which are great i'm really hope to see some older cars as i loved the variety of the first game especially LM cars.

Can i ask a question about Handling? I know tires are improved but has the physics been changed in regards to weight transfer, body roll & breaking?

general-circuit-of-wales-project-2015-an-aerial-view-of-the-circuit-of-wales.jpg

Circuit of Wales appears in the schedule tab of the Esports. Does it mean anything or is it like Mosport in the first?

Back