Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
So the Pagani Zonda Revolucion Has a DRS button but yet it doesn't have DRS implemented into the game?
Project CARS 2_20200321232438.png

^ The RED button

And from wiki

the Zonda Revolución also features a DRS (Drag Reduction System) on the rear wing. The system has two different operating modes, both can be activated by the driver at any time

So is there a reason why in the game it doesn't have DRS? implemented? Its a real crappy over sight if you ask me.

So the Pagani Zonda Revolucion Has a DRS button but yet it doesn't have DRS implemented into the game?
View attachment 901682

^ The RED button

And from wiki

So is there a reason why in the game it doesn't have DRS? implemented? Its a real crappy over sight if you ask me.
One little function that doesn't seem to be there is for the db11, holding down the downshift paddle is supposed to downshift directly to the most fitting gear at that moment for full acceleration if you punch it.
I tried it and nothing, but i can understand and didn't expect it so much.

Hey look, it's not a Porsche. Cool beans.

from GvsE:

Jaguar XE SV Project 8 is finally here!
Default setup transmits 70% of engine power to rear wheels. If you're feeling adventurous, go to the setup menu in the game and stiffen springs, dampers and increase rear power balance in center differential.

Conversion/Editing by GvsE
Physics by GvsE
Sounds by SMS
Checkout/Testing by robi3381
Link in the downloads section.

Finally, times are tough, and I hope this car brings you a respite from all the news. If it does and if you can afford it then consider a small donation. :)

20200326232929-1_orig.jpg

project-cars-2-20-mar-20-22-07-31_orig.png

Hi All, first time chiming into the PC2 thread! I was considering buying this game but wanted to ask if you guys think the online/multiplayer environment has died out, or if it's still pretty active? I've been a long time Gran Turismo player, but now I'm looking to get into more proper sim racing.

My other option is iRacing, but I'd need to build my own PC for that. I've already got a PS4 though, so PC2 seemed like the next most obvious choice.

Hi All, first time chiming into the PC2 thread! I was considering buying this game but wanted to ask if you guys think the online/multiplayer environment has died out, or if it's still pretty active? I've been a long time Gran Turismo player, but now I'm looking to get into more proper sim racing.
I'm not having issues finding packed lobbies. Mostly GT3s but it's normally fine.

I'm not having issues finding packed lobbies. Mostly GT3s but it's normally fine.

Nice, glad to hear it's stilly busy. Does PC2 operate on a global server though? I'm in the states vs yourself in the UK, and wasn't sure if we get access to the same lobbies you have.

Nice, glad to hear it's stilly busy. Does PC2 operate on a global server though? I'm in the states vs yourself in the UK, and wasn't sure if we get access to the same lobbies you have.
Idk about the servers but your racing people all over the globe. Just depends on who is in that lobby and where they’re from. I jumped back on after not playing in a long time and there’s a good amount of random lobbies(ps4). Probably due to quarantine.

View attachment 901682

^ The RED button

And from wiki

A complex sim + a lot of cars + a lot of tracks + small development team. Stuff like that gets put on the backlog but never implemented as there is always something more important to do in terms of game enhancements or bug fixes.

A complex sim + a lot of cars + a lot of tracks + small development team. Stuff like that gets put on the backlog but never implemented as there is always something more important to do in terms of game enhancements or bug fixes.
Sorry but i disagree a car missing a important feature that it has in real life and it needs to be competitive is important, it may not be game breaking but this car is officially broken if you ask me.

Sorry but i disagree a car missing a important feature that it has in real life and it needs to be competitive is important, it may not be game breaking but this car is officially broken if you ask me.

A car that is missing a feature that is already in the game on several other cars does seem to be a pretty glaring flaw, I would agree with that. But I suppose "unfinished" is a pretty common thing across the board in pC2, as fun as it is.

I agree. However we all know that games/movies/whatever are never finished - they are abandoned. Project Cars 2 is a fabulous game but of course it has a raft of outstanding bugs and issues - and DRS in the car you mentioned is one of them.

I'm just suggesting that it never got fixed because it never made it to the top of the bugs/issues backlog due to higher priority items. It is the norm in all software development for this to happen.

The corvette z06 is well done it seems. Can't say i love the shape much though.
I noticed the car list menu doesn't seem to keep the liveries you select for all cars. I was choosing liveries in advance for many cars so it be done but when i go back up the list i noticed they revert back to default. Hopefully they will fix this in the next game.

Just noticed on the clk lm 98 when idling and stopped, looking to the left side mirror, when revving the side mirror vibrates and it's reflection too on the up part of the door or frame.
That's some detail wow hehe.
I wonder if it's canned or did they really simulate flex on the stem of the mirror.
The car looks nice in the Sobrent green and gold livery.

The music on the menus is awesome with opera voice...

Also the guys at pit stop are really well made lol, better than most 3rd person action games haha.
Funny to see them run back inside with the tires when you exit the pits and look back.
Another nice lil detail is all the little lights inside the cockpit when you turn them on. Cheers..

Bought and downloaded PC2 for my PS4 last night. Booted up this morning. WOW! Out of the box controller settings are spot on. Way better than my XB1 settings.

Jumped in the GT5 Ginetta at Fuji. 10 minute Practice was a joy. Controls, handling, slight understeer at the 130R, felt fantastic!

Left the default 15 car grid, but I'll crank it up for the next discipline. Maybe Group A.

Biggest thing I've missed about PC2, since mainly playing GT Sport, are the Time/weather slots. 8am, Light clouds/Overcast/Sunny/Medium clouds, switching headlights on. Then, setting each time and weather to the race sessions. Qualy is at 1300, varying clouds. Race at 1600, maybe a sprinkle mid-race. It's an awesome game.

Been trying the f1 and f1 gtr cars, the gtr looks really nice, they sound pretty good, some of the better 12cyls in this game.
The street f1 is a handfull bit, with no aids and especially on street tires. I like it but i don't know, like many mid engine cars in pc2 it seems to me they are too sensitive to turn-in in slow corners at the slightest brake input.
It's like they pivot almost and the rear just wants to slide out.
Even with setup changes or race tires

What you guys think? Really seems exaggerated, if those cars reacted like this in real it be a nightmare on the street even at normal speeds turning on street corners and braking slightly.

I did even adjust the braking controls to try make it smoother at 1st application.

Just doesn't seem right, even im not pushing at the limit and going slow in a tight corner, as soon as you apply a little brake the car pivots and wants to spin out even with no throttle.
Edit: the other Mclarens are ok if i remember, like the 720s, etc but the ferraris etc have the same thing a little.

Last edited:
Been trying the f1 and f1 gtr cars, the gtr looks really nice, they sound pretty good, some of the better 12cyls in this game.
The street f1 is a handfull bit, with no aids and especially on street tires. I like it but i don't know, like many mid engine cars in pc2 it seems to me they are too sensitive to turn-in in slow corners at the slightest brake input.
It's like they pivot almost and the rear just wants to slide out.
Even with setup changes or race tires

What you guys think? Really seems exaggerated, if those cars reacted like this in real it be a nightmare on the street even at normal speeds turning on street corners and braking slightly.

I did even adjust the braking controls to try make it smoother at 1st application.

Just doesn't seem right, even im not pushing at the limit and going slow in a tight corner, as soon as you apply a little brake the car pivots and wants to spin out even with no throttle.
Edit: the other Mclarens are ok if i remember, like the 720s, etc but the ferraris etc have the same thing a little.

Try letting the revs drop lower before you downshift on the approach to corners - it may be that excessive engine braking when combined with braking and weight transfer is overcoming the grip level of the rear tyres. In real life this can happen in lightweight cars with large engines which produce a lot of engine braking, but I think it is exaggerated in the game. Alternatively try altering the brake bias to less braking on the rear. Alternatively start braking earlier and come off the brakes earlier.

In real life this can happen in lightweight cars with large engines which produce a lot of engine braking, but I think it is exaggerated in the game. .

Ian Bell confirmed that the new code they introduced in PC2 for engine simulation did result in excessive engine braking. Where you can adjust engine braking in setup its probably a good idea to reduce it.

Try letting the revs drop lower before you downshift on the approach to corners - it may be that excessive engine braking when combined with braking and weight transfer is overcoming the grip level of the rear tyres. In real life this can happen in lightweight cars with large engines which produce a lot of engine braking, but I think it is exaggerated in the game. Alternatively try altering the brake bias to less braking on the rear. Alternatively start braking earlier and come off the brakes earlier.

Thanks sickcyl, that's exactly it, i tried keep the revs lower and voila hehe, the problem was gone. I don't know why i wasn't thinking of it, and trying anything else to fix this, too tired preoccupied with real life maybe.
Well also i like to feel the engine and each one's torque and don't like to lessen too much the effects of it.

Also it didn't feel obvious that that's what was happening from the seat of the pants idk.
The f1 does have it's engine braking at almost max at 1 on default setting, and as you said it's a lighter car too. I did up the setting to 6 out of 10 after to see and it's alot less pronounced the turn in on higher revs as should.
I can compensate with lowering the revs but then you have to downshift when you want max acceleration and lose a little time compared to being already at peak rev for performance.
I guess I'll mix a little of both, less engine braking on cars that are way sensitive to this and watch for my revs too.
Thanks again, I'll try it out on other mid engine cars that had that annoying effect like some ferraris maybe.
Edit: i wonder what would be the default engine braking equivalent on a standard street setup on this car, and any other car i guess too. Can it even be changed on a street car like this?
Like i mentionned before, maybe it's the lack of real feel from not being in the car that makes it less obvious on what's happening too. I'm sure in the car in real life you would feel it easily that you need to keep revs lower. Also maybe the sound doesn't make it feel enough that you're pushing on the power band alot when keeping the revs higher.

Edit2: on a different note just tried up the time of day alot for the fun of day night transition etc. The lesser grip when the night comes is really noticeable hehe, with a fast time of day transition it's pretty sudden, you gotta be carefull.

Edit 3: having alot of fun with the f1 gtr, good sound and feel. So immersive when night comes with no hud.
When you put up the hud though it could be nice to have the track temp on it.
Have to say this game is something else.
Makes me wish for a bike sim this detailed.

Edit 4 hehe: like i said i don't like to lessen too much the mechanical effects like engine braking, it's part of the character and challenge too, throttle blipping on downshift and easing up on the brake momentarily to compensate for the engine braking.
But it helps for sure to lessen some seemingly exaggerated or hard to feel effects sometimes.

Last edited:
I can compensate with lowering the revs but then you have to downshift when you want max acceleration and lose a little time compared to being already at peak rev for performance.

you can save the final downshift for when you have let off the brakes and are on a neutral throttle - i.e. just before the point at which you would normally accelerate - that way you are in the right gear. You may need to let the revs drop more before your final change because the steps between the gears becomes larger and the engine braking therefore becomes more pronounced.

Alternatively you can do your final downshift in the braking zone and if the car steps out stab the throttle - this works well with the Lotus 49.

Real racing drivers are normally very skillful at rev matching and are used to using all the revs as appropriate - when you see them looking clumsy this is sometimes deliberate to save the brakes on historic cars.

I have seen a few videos on youtube where street drivers with less skill are clumsy with their downshifts and either chirp the rear tyres or spin the car round completely.

you can save the final downshift for when you have let off the brakes and are on a neutral throttle - i.e. just before the point at which you would normally accelerate - that way you are in the right gear. You may need to let the revs drop more before your final change because the steps between the gears becomes larger and the engine braking therefore becomes more pronounced.

Alternatively you can do your final downshift in the braking zone and if the car steps out stab the throttle - this works well with the Lotus 49.

Real racing drivers are normally very skillful at rev matching and are used to using all the revs as appropriate - when you see them looking clumsy this is sometimes deliberate to save the brakes on historic cars.

I have seen a few videos on youtube where street drivers with less skill are clumsy with their downshifts and either chirp the rear tyres or spin the car round completely.

Yeah it helps save your brakes a little too. Like i said in my final edit...
i don't like to lessen too much the mechanical effects like engine braking, it's part of the character and challenge too, throttle blipping on downshift and easing up on the brake momentarily to compensate for the engine braking.
But it helps for sure to lessen some seemingly exaggerated or hard to feel effects sometimes.

Thanks sickc. Really helps enjoy to the fullest the cars that had this effect pronounced alot and took me out of it, not seeming believable, although now that i realize the logic of it, it makes more sense.

Wish we had neural implants to feel the g effects hehe. Maybe when the ps7 comes out lol.
Would have been nice to have cars like the maserati mc12, saleen s7, jaguar xjs15, the 80s jaguar v12 race version, i forget the name exactly.

Last edited:
Yeah it helps save your brakes a little too. Like i said in my final edit...

Thanks sickc. Really helps enjoy to the fullest the cars that had this effect pronounced alot and took me out of it, not seeming believable, although now that i realize the logic of it, it makes more sense.

Wish we had neural implants to feel the g effects hehe. Maybe when the ps7 comes out lol.
Would have been nice to have cars like the maserati mc12, saleen s7, jaguar xjs15, the 80s jaguar v12 race version, i forget the name exactly.

This is a nice video of a car with a lot of engine braking - Lola T70 Chevrolet. Race Instructor and historic racing expert Jim Pace narrates in real time as he competes. He completes his downshifts with the car in a straight line and is careful to let the revs drop and rev match - plus he's shifting without the clutch - great skills!

This is a car I would love to see in PC3/PCR - it competed with the Ford GT40 and Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512.

This is a nice video of a car with a lot of engine braking - Lola T70 Chevrolet. Race Instructor and historic racing expert Jim Pace narrates in real time as he competes. He completes his downshifts with the car in a straight line and is careful to let the revs drop and rev match - plus he's shifting without the clutch - great skills!

This is a car I would love to see in PC3/PCR - it competed with the Ford GT40 and Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512.

I see thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Maybe you can explain something else for me, i just tried the lotus 98t, and even though the rear tires spin alot when the turbo kicks in, it doesn't make the car unstable at all and even seems to keep it straight.
I checked the differential setup and it's set on loose default to only clutch lsd locking. I tried changing the power ramp and the preload, still same thing.
Isn't it weird how it doesn't power oversteer at all?
Edit2: wow this is strange, i changed from historic to soft and hard slicks and now it power steers like expected. Must be a bug or missing something, unless historic tires on that car have some weird characteristic i dont know?
Edit 3: well for now I'll use the slicks hard, feels about the same regarding grip and spin. Lot of fun testing this car with the boost etc to try make it manageable and not having the engine self destruct hehe. Got a good balance now, fun. That car at night has crazy backfire flames.

Edit: When i hear the back wheels spin like crazy it reminds me of top fuel funny cars and dragsters hehe. Makes wonder if pc2 simulates deformation of the tires vertically like when dragsters spin alot the tires get higher and slimmer from the centrifuge force. I know those cars use very low pressure and it's a whole different tire but makes me wonder if there's an effect like this in real on race cars, especially older historic tires, which is what i selected in the setup, and if pc2 sims that.

Last edited:
In real life, I thought GTE cars have higher top speeds than GT3 cars.
I'm doing a Le Mans 25 minute race and the GT3 class are catching me and pulling away while I'm in the slipstream. I can catch the LMP3 cars on the straights, but the GT3s shouldn't be pulling away.

AI 95/85.

Okay, this was slightly weird. I ran a 45 minute GT4 race at Nürburgring Combined this morning, trying to get a feel for the bots' race pace(which seemed slower than I expected from practice but the order was jumbled up without qualifying so probably not that useful after all).

The race timer ran out and we came around to the finish, and as I looked at the lap time widget on the cooldown lap it showed 4 laps... which added up to about 38 minutes. I did the whole cooldown at full pace to get a fuel number since I forgot to get it at the finish and because who doesn't want one more lap of the ring, the whole time running over the numbers and confirming that that made no sense. I really felt like we had run more than 4 but wasn't sure... things are a bit of a blur when you're driving and the last lap shown was the correct time for my final lap.

So when I confirmed my fuel number as I came into pit lane I happened to look at the laps again... and it said 5 laps. As does the post-race screen(for everyone). 6 laps(counting the cooldown) makes my fuel usage match what I saw in practice. I forgot to confirm if it took any out as "consumed" on the skipped warmup lap but I think it does not.
Huh? Does it always do this and I've just never noticed?

Still not sure why bots get DQ'ed, 2 in this race. Also not sure why so many of them pit when all GT4 cars can easily go over an hour. It seems like however long I run here, lots of cars always pit when they don't need to(and often on the last lap). Damage was off for this one unless it's never off for the bots.

[And again, insert mandatory whine about how the options for a 24-hour race by time/weather progression are 24 hours, 12 hours, 4.8 hours and 2.4 hours. Can't imagine why anybody might ever want to run a race at say, 6 or 8 hours instead.]

Back