Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
I just read on the GTPlanet news section that ACC is coming to PS4 and X Box this summer - which was a surprise to me as I assumed that there wouldn't be a console version until the next generation. I wonder if this news is a surprise to SMS and what the implications are for PC3 / Revolution.

I just read on the GTPlanet news section that ACC is coming to PS4 and X Box this summer - which was a surprise to me as I assumed that there wouldn't be a console version until the next generation. I wonder if this news is a surprise to SMS and what the implications are for PC3 / Revolution.
Not much I think. The current gen is actually now treated as old gen. The race (pun intended) is now for the next-gen and it already started a while ago. Let's wait and see what PC3 will be.

Well as long as Assetto Corsa (competitizione) limits itself to its current content I cannot really be bothered by it. My biggest appreciation of PC2 is its diversity, although that also might partially be its pitfall

ACC is "only" a slim motorsport esport spinoff. In that context, I imagine SMS doesn't think too much of it. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't see it as a rival to Project CARS.

Kunos have the magic touch. Although it is a very specialized title that got off to a rocky start, they have managed to grow its active user-base to a similar size to PC2. So it is potentially a major player. The good news for SMS is the impact on PC2 player numbers hasn't been great, and strangely AC has become even more popular since ACCs release. From the hints we've had so far PC3 will have a stronger career mode and even more cars and tracks than PC2 so it will be strong in areas where ACC is weak.

Last edited:
Assetto Corsa Competizione is at the pinnacle of what sim racing can be. They did one thing and did it well. I guess better to master one series then to throw everything into the pot. It's as the saying goes, "Jack of all trades, master of none." Well they got GT3 cars down pretty good. And it's looking like GT4 are going to follow as well.
Really surprised to see it come to this generation of console. I can't even imagine how watered down it's going to be to even run. It's resource intensive on high end PCs. I have settings set to medium just for the sake of keeping it smooth. Although ACC with settings on medium still looks amazing and really could be the equivalent of ultra in other games.

Kunos have the magic touch. Although it is a very specialized title that got off to a rocky start, they have managed to grow its active user-base to a similar size to PC2. So it is potentially a major player. The good news for SMS is the impact on PC2 player numbers hasn't been great, and strangely AC has become even more popular since ACCs release. From the hints we've had so far PC3 will have a stronger career mode and even more cars and tracks than PC2 so it will be strong in areas where ACC is weak.

Hey David, are these pretty solid hints?
I haven't read any concrete info on pc3 as of yet.
Glad if true about even more cars, tracks. Just hope pls pls give it crazy good sounds for all cars and in replays.

That's the 1 thing i really miss in pc2, it's nice to see the car physics and handling and your racing line etc but it's missing the thrilling mood and soul without the so great sounds of all cars in all views and in tv replays.
Not meaning they are all bad, many have similar character to the real thing but not many have the real punch and grunt and shreek, and the doppler effect in replays is pretty bland, on std ps4 at least.

Hope we get more newer road supercars, historic race cars..

Edit: i thought they said it will be more focused?
As you said it's not bad to have 1 sim giving lots content, pc2 pc3 hope.., and the other being more focused like Acc.
Edit2: oh and historic tracks.

Last edited:
Assetto Corsa Competizione is at the pinnacle of what sim racing can be. They did one thing and did it well. I guess better to master one series then to throw everything into the pot. It's as the saying goes, "Jack of all trades, master of none."
I can believe it, but I'll take the jack of all trades over the master of not-my-thing. So long as the jack is good enough, anyway. :)

Just recently, I finally caved and bought the complete edition of AC on sale. It's impressive in what it does well, yet about what I expected -- a glorified physics-showcase sandbox that leans on its spread of mods in the PC community.

Definitely worth having, if only for cars like the E30 M3 and NA Miata. The physics are superior to PCARS2, but the controller steering is not really up to the task of serious driving; PCARS2 is significantly better. Maybe someday I'll have a DriveHub, and if neither PCARS3 nor future AC titles have roadcars like those, I could opt for AC instead of Live for Speed if I'm in the mood for some FFB-wheel drifting.

Collisions between cars in AC were one thing that actually kind of caught me by surprise compared to PCARS2's more artificially-rigid kinetics. Not necessarily über-realistic, but certainly more dynamic!

682689459917160453.png
Porsche 992 Carrera 4S cab v1.0 released
682689459917160453.png
You can choose between soft top or open top in the pCars Configurator included in this mod. Just navigate to "Project CARS 2\modifications" and open "pCARSConfigurator.exe". Select the porsche 992 an choose your version. With open top there will have more drag and the rear wing will rise slightly higher. Java runtime environment needed for the app. App by LMM23 https://www.mediafire.com/file/qyi3wva33l067d4/Porsche_992_Carrera_4S_cabriolet_v1.0.7z/file
992_carrera_4s.png

They sure are getting out a lot o Porsches.

Just recently, I finally caved and bought the complete edition of AC on sale. It's impressive in what it does well, yet about what I expected -- a glorified physics-showcase sandbox that leans on its spread of mods in the PC community.

I caved last summer and agree with Wolfe that it is worth getting. I return to AC from time to time for the front engine Maserati 250F Formula One cars - it's the only place I can go for that kick so I am hoping that PC3 / Revolution has enough front engine formula cars to scratch that itch.

682689459917160453.png
Porsche 992 Carrera 4S cab v1.0 released
682689459917160453.png
You can choose between soft top or open top in the pCars Configurator included in this mod. Just navigate to "Project CARS 2\modifications" and open "pCARSConfigurator.exe". Select the porsche 992 an choose your version. With open top there will have more drag and the rear wing will rise slightly higher. Java runtime environment needed for the app. App by LMM23 https://www.mediafire.com/file/qyi3wva33l067d4/Porsche_992_Carrera_4S_cabriolet_v1.0.7z/file
View attachment 899238
They sure are getting out a lot o Porsches.
Yeah more porsche cause there ain't enough of those in pc2 :rolleyes:

Just noticed there is no tv cam in replays on the full historic monza, it shows it in cockpit instead, I'm guessing it's an optimisation issue.

Too bad, would be fun to see that on the giant bankings.
Edit: well it works in the oval only course.

Last edited:
Hey David, are these pretty solid hints?
I haven't read any concrete info on pc3 as of yet.
Glad if true about even more cars, tracks. Just hope pls pls give it crazy good sounds for all cars and in replays.

Edit: i thought they said it will be more focused?
As you said it's not bad to have 1 sim giving lots content, pc2 pc3 hope.., and the other being more focused like Acc.
Edit2: oh and historic tracks.

Ian makes a lot of posts on several forums and makes quite a few tweets. It would take me a lot of time to track them down.

Ian also makes ambiguous comments that can lead you in the wrong direction. For example he said it would be the successor to Shift but with even more sim goodness. Many ignored the sim part and assumed PC3 would be less sim because of the Shift comment. My interpretation is he is probably talking about the career elements of Shift. Now this may be just my own perspective. I had mixed feelings about Shift but even though the AI was bad, I completed the career. It had the "just do one more race" factor, which I don't get with AC, ACC, RR, rF2, or even the PC2 career. Ian sort of hints at this when he says PC3 will be less sandbox. I think this is what he means when he says more focused.

I did find this post when he clarifies that more focused doesn't mean less content

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...discussion-thread.383864/page-2#post-12808089

Here's something different from the flow of street cars. Might have to start a new Project Cars 2 Mods thread with all the content coming out so it doesn't get lost.

Ian makes a lot of posts on several forums and makes quite a few tweets. It would take me a lot of time to track them down.

Ian also makes ambiguous comments that can lead you in the wrong direction. For example he said it would be the successor to Shift but with even more sim goodness. Many ignored the sim part and assumed PC3 would be less sim because of the Shift comment. My interpretation is he is probably talking about the career elements of Shift. Now this may be just my own perspective. I had mixed feelings about Shift but even though the AI was bad, I completed the career. It had the "just do one more race" factor, which I don't get with AC, ACC, RR, rF2, or even the PC2 career. Ian sort of hints at this when he says PC3 will be less sandbox. I think this is what he means when he says more focused.

I did find this post when he clarifies that more focused doesn't mean less content

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...discussion-thread.383864/page-2#post-12808089

Thanks David, i hadn't read the beginning pages of that thread.
Good signs..but hope they give us freedom in choosing our way to play still and more, like custom championships, selecting each opponent car and even livery for each etc. Not just more focused career or progression. And to skip to any lap in replay and cut and save any part as in Ac, that be great too.

Also i have to say i had an up and down feel trying to get the feel for pc2 but I'm loving it really now.
Maybe i was too cynical and should have given the devs the benefit of the doubt. I was far from convinced at 1st if any cars and anything else could be trusted to be believable and as accurate as they could possibly be. But it is a great effort as i see it now, and great fun sim all around.

Last edited:
The bot pace in this game.
GT4 career @ WGI short course:

95% 1:12.6 - top 10 all 12s and 13s
85% 1:12.8 - top 10 all low13s and one or two 14s
83% 1:14.5 from one crazed KTM that couldn't go nearly that fast until after I passed him of course(after he spun on his own and nosed into the wall in front of me) - top 10 all mid 15s and 16s
80% 1:15.7 - top 10 all high 15s and 16s

Roughly a 2.5 second difference between 83 and 85 outside of that angry X-Bow. Pretty easy to find my sweet spot there(my best in the G50 :14.5). This of course in the dry after blowing their doors off by a couple seconds per lap at 95% in rainy practice and qualifying. I guess it gave me an excuse to do a lot more running on half of a great track.
Such is sim racing offline.

Edit: And at the next round at 90% they were a full second slower in qualifying and the race than in practice, in the same - slightly warmer conditions. Should've run 95. :)

Last edited:
The historic lemans really is well done, looks good, runs good, bumps etc, and looking to the side in cockpit seeing the sunrise piercing thru the trees, or in front of you. This and old hockenheim.
The old spa and monza not as much to me, spa doesn't look so hot on my std ps4 lol, and monza doesn't run as smoothly or cleanly as others.
And i like the replay on lemans, especially with some of the good sounding cars i noticed in replays, like the ferrari 512m, when it slows down, love that rumbling sound. The 917k, the c9 sound good too in replay.
Can't wait to see the next game on ps5, with near real looking, surroundings and cinematic replays hopefully.
Have to say the cars themselves look great, especially cockpits, some like the 720s you feel you can almost reach out and touch the dashboard. Makes me imagine how immersive it must be in vr.

Edit: well actuallly, old spa looks ok in cockpit view, but in replay not so much with low res textures and simple geometry.
I like that long right rising sweeper with the billboards on the left. The dip at the top and narrowing of the track makes for close calls exiting the curve.
Love the track itself though, much more exciting than the modern one to me, and with the bumps.

Edit2: just did a race on old spa with the c9, whew, this has got to be the most exciting track by far in pc2. Pff lol still slowing down my breathing. Might be the one track that makes my left palm sweat, there's no dull moment, fast curves non stop. Shifting with the right hand and holding the wheel with the left on that c9.

The one other track i can remember being like this is the old Nordchleiffe in a gplegends mod, unless i dreamed that lol.
Even that had slower parts at 1st, but the fast parts remind me of this old spa.
They have to add this historic track in pc3 lol, unless my memory is wrong hehe.

Last edited:
@Jtheripper
Have you tried the old (1955-1970) Rouen Les Essarts yet? The full circuit (4.06 miles) can be quite a wild ride.
That track has some naughty curbs on it, great fun in the rain though, a real challenge in the old vintage classics.

I'm currently having fun with the Diablo GTR, it's got some real controller friendly tail happy behaviour that's an absolute joy to push around many a corner :)

@Jtheripper
Have you tried the old (1955-1970) Rouen Les Essarts yet? The full circuit (4.06 miles) can be quite a wild ride.

Hey there, at 1st i couldn't remember it, i thought great, maybe another great old track to try that i forgot, but i just did run on it with the dbr1 and the modern Astons too.
In another post just last day in the pcars3 thread in reply to sick_cylinder i talked of snetterton but i meant rouen les essarts. Yeah i love that track too, feels like a rally hehe. Just don't touch those curbs lol.

I wonder is there damage or wear if you slip the clutch too much?, i haven't noticed any, that be a nice little damage/ wear addition if not.

Also if the painted lines in the wet are more slippery? I didn't notice it as of yet, well except the curbs of course.

I like the comments your crew tells you, it adds alot of mood and immersion.
Sometimes it silly but often its cool and sometimes usefull.
Fun when he says great start if you passed a few cars hehe, but what i like to hear the most maybe is when i just did the fastest lap of the race up to now.

I like the comments your crew tells you, it adds alot of mood and immersion.
Sometimes it silly but often its cool and sometimes usefull.
Fun when he says great start if you passed a few cars hehe, but what i like to hear the most maybe is when i just did the fastest lap of the race up to now.

I just wish he'd wait a couple seconds sometimes before congratulating you on a pass. "No, that wasn't a fantastic pass mate, that was me dodging to the outside as he hit the brakes too early but still owned the ideal line into the turn and would run me off the road even if I did try to hold position. But I'll just bank it and pretend you said it two corners later when I do go by and you don't say anything." :)

One thing that could be smoother is the a.i. sometimes swerve left and right in a too robotic fast way just by themselves like deciding if they are going to try pass to the left or right.

Seems smoother in gts and ac. Just breaks the immersion when you see them swerving like that in an unnatural way.

One thing that could be smoother is the a.i. sometimes swerve left and right in a too robotic fast way just by themselves like deciding if they are going to try pass to the left or right.

Seems smoother in gts and ac. Just breaks the immersion when you see them swerving like that in an unnatural way.
What is your aggression setting at? If I recall, the higher, the less swervy swervy.

What is your aggression setting at? If I recall, the higher, the less swervy swervy.
I see thanks I'll try play with that setting.
Just tried Bannochbrae, seems it's fictional, well if they could make cool ones like that i wouldn't mind at all. Would look nice on nextgen i bet.
Just maybe less crazy ups and downs sometimes in tight curves, seems less believable.
Also i don't know if it's the track or car or a general bug, but just when i try this i see a bug after losing one wheel. I go back to the pits and the replaced wheel doesn't show visually. Im using that 50s indy style car Afga...something lol.

Cool cockpit sound, even in 3rd person it sounds ok but in replay not so much.

Edit: the chicane in this track in the small town near the church could be more exciting if it had high curbs on it to make it risky to try cut it a little. As of now, with just painted lines as a legal track limit, the only risk is a penalty or an invalidation of your lap. Well that and slamming into the church lol.

Edit: that historic indy car is really fragile lol, and sensitive to touching the dirt on the side of track. Had to restart a race like 10 times hehe, on Bannochbrae.
Anyone know if a tire can wear faster than the others if you have some damage that imbalances or makes your tire scrub more?

I'm really loving that car after doing many laps. Fun on that bumpy track, with the tires losing contact to the track. I like the feel of it when you pick up speed in 2nd more and more. It's pretty fast for a 2 speed.

Edit2: tried the huracan gt3 on monaco circuit, sounds pretty good in replay, partly i guess cause the external sound is pretty good on that car, good doppler effect in the tunnel on that tv cam.

Noticed a small cute detail, when i tried call in for a pitstop in the tunnel, he replied there is interference and to repeat that lol. Called it in a 2nd time and he confirmed, cool.

The Lambo feels really good too, well most cars i tried now for me feel really really good on the g29.
The lotus indy 65 with vintage tires though has to be the hardest, i don't know if it's suppose to be that slippery, was on the bumpy Bannockbrae though. With the other tires it was ok.
And the 60s street mustang is pretty fun with lots burning the back tires hehe.
Must have been lots of wreaks on the streets with so slippy tires.

Also i was watching vids of Koenigsegg cars, my god those are monsters. I wonder if we can get them in the next game?
Maybe it wasn't in pc2 cause they are so new or unusually built and hard to replicate.

Last edited:
Ok, that's why I asked to be sure because settings for wheel (G29, Fanatec etc) and for DS4 are quite different as the DS4 can be quite twitchy on Default settings and may need to be tamed down. When I was searching for recommended settings for DS4/Pad controller I came across this offered by Johnson Racing on youtube and many users recommended it as helping them tremendously. So I noted the recommendations and tried them. They seemed to work quite well. Here it is. The youtube URL for the vid is there noted under his name and I'll include it in this post to. Might be useful to check out the vid too and see the comments. Hope it helps.

Project Cars 2 | GREAT CONTROLLER SETTINGS TUTORIAL
By Johnson Racing

(Sep 21, 2017)

Note: The Default settings next to each item I kept noted for reference/comparison.
……The respective recommended adjustment by Johnson Racing is to the right in brackets.

Steering Deadzone: Default 7 (Recommended adjust: 0)
Steering Sensitivity: Default 17 (Recommended adjust: 45)
Throttle Deadzone: Default 10 (Recommended adjust: 0)
Throttle Sensitivity: Default 30 (Recommended adjust: 10)
Brake Deadzone: Default 10 (Recommended adjust: 0)
Brake Sensitivity: Default 75 (Recommended adjust: 10)
Clutch Deadzone: Default 10 (Left as is. Can be lowered a bit if needed)
Clutch Sensitivity: Default 25 (Left as is. Can be lowered a bit if needed)
Speed Sensitivity: Default 95 (Recommended leave as be)
Damper Saturation: Default 100 (Recommended leave as be)
Controller Damping: Default 67 (Recommended adjust 79)
Controller Vibration: Default 50 (Recommended adjust 100)
Minimum Shift Time: Default 0
RPM/Gear Display: (Recommended: Yes)

After reinstating PC2 after rage quitting, this setup seemed to feel better. I only tested with the 720S on Long Beach since I was still downloading. Took a few laps to get used to it. Once I get the full game downloaded, I'll test with slower cars first and then make my way up to the GT/LMP's.

It be nice in pc3 to have more models for categories that have very few, like old street muscle cars to go with the mustang. 66 f1s to go with the lotus,like the eagle, cooper, ferrari.., Etc
Feels weird to race the Mustang with modern standard cars, not too cool.

The 70s firebird from matrix 2, was a 71 or 72 i think, would be cool, and so many others. Some from 50s like the corvette 55,56, 60s like camaro ss, 70s cuda...
Getting used to the old tires on the 60s mustang, fun on the Nordschleife.
Seems a little weird though they never cool down.:lol: edit2: now i know why my father back then always left his camaro ss in 3rd gear.:D
I don't dare try it in the wet.:ill:

EDIT: i was on street tires which seem to be vintage, but now i tried all weather tires, i thought its going to be even more slippery but it has to be modern tires that one because it sticks alot more.,
not as fun after getting used to the vintage hehe, especially it makes it more different from the other cars.
And you can experience how it was really at that time with those cars, as long as it is realistic.

Last edited:
Feels weird to race the Mustang with modern standard cars, not too cool.

I agree with this 100% - The Road G category contains some lovely cars to drive, but it is an immersion killer having classics like the Mustang, Escort and BMW 2002 Turbo mixed in with modern cars. A simple solution would be to add a few more modern cars to Road G to make it a complete class, such as a Mazda MX5 and Toyota MR2, but split the old cars off into a separate category e.g. Road H.

OR replace the three old Road G cars with historic race cars - the performance could be kept similar. I would replace the 1967 Mustang Fastback with a 1965 Mustang Notchback saloon (as won the BSCC in 1965) - lap times of the car in PC2 on default tyres are virtually identical to those achieved in the 1965 BSCC series. Perhaps replace the RS1600 Escort road car with an Escort 1300 GT race car as campaigned by Broadspeed in the BSCC and match it with a race tuned Mini as per the clip below which features the very talented Gordon Spice.

Back