Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Having some relax time on pc2, sure is good to have so many nice things to enjoy in our videogame hobby.

Helps from real life stresses..
cheers.

Edit: i was checking some Lenos garage and other videos and made me wish they would add 1950s sports and race cars from ferrari, maserati, Austin Healy, corvettes, jaguar, mercedes, Aston Martin, porsche,..

There's so many gorgeous interesting fun cars from that era.

Last edited:
Oh, reverted Speed Sensitivity on 90 back, dunno, everything above GT3 was so perfect on this, but Mercedes E190 just don't turn on speed 200, and there is no way to compensate it. Noticed the more SS applied, the less Steering Ratio of a car affecting general handling.
I guess have to live with twitchy left to right lock...

Yeah, some cars needs different "tuning". It's not possible to drive everything with one controller settings. Steering in car tuning could help too. Do you use it?

Yeah, some cars needs different "tuning". It's not possible to drive everything with one controller settings. Steering in car tuning could help too. Do you use it?

Dunno what you mean, as I said steering ratio has little to none effect on handling while Speed Sensitivity engaged. To be honest it seems nothing will, since this setting makes turning angle very narrow, like on turn at Zolder after first chicane, that wide downhill corner, E190 just go straight with 100 at speed 200, while at 90 SS you can spin it out with full lock. This controller helping system isn't perfect, for sure.

There is no getting around it being a compromise. Either you get enough steering lock for any situation (and any car) and put up with sensitive steering, or you get comfortably relaxed steering without enough steering lock for some situations (or cars).

With Speed Sensitivity, as I say, I found the balancing point to be 75. The steering will be sensitive on straights, but you get all the steering you need for cornering or drifting.

It's a bit problematic. But that reminds me something. Why only PC1 and 2 has so strange settings? Every other good game I play is different. You can set usually sensitivity and speed sensitivity and it means what everybody wants. In PC it's combined with linearity and it's pretty hard to set. I like very sensitive steering but in PC it means sometimes not enough sensitivity around zero. I am not sure if I understand it correctly but, for instance, ACC has it right and it's much better to play it from controlling perspective. For ACC on X I have 100 sensitivity and it's great. On PC the same is around 50.

I thought if I should suggest fix for AMS2 because it's playable the same as PC2 but it could be much better.

I think the conclusion is that whatever settings suit one person doesn't necessarily suit another. Much like the different games themselves in fact.

I'd have thought that the variation between the cars on a controller was good. Having them all behave the same with one setting would be a bit bland. I use a wheel (mostly) and while I have a base setting I work from I find that I still have to tweak the FFB occasionally between cars. Luckily I can do this on the fly because I've mapped the buttons. The steering range / lock isn't so much of a problem because I've got more range to use.

Have any of you controller uses tried mapping the steering to the tilt axis of the DS4? I gave that a go and was quite impressed. I found that turning the whole controller into the corners gave a more natural wheel like experience - it's less twitchy on the straights and you get a greater range of lock to lock movement.

That's true, I don't mind resetting because it's a simulation and you need more time with everything. But still PC axis setting is probably not correct.

Tilting sounds like a wheel - annoying movement with my hands :D I can be smooth enough with my thumb with relaxed hands. Wheels are for sporty players I guess.

The problem is, you need to keep a controller with raised hand, instead of having a wheel you can literally lay on. It may be better steering, but worse comfort option possible.
Still sounds promising, I can't tell anything because never ever tried this input method.

The problem is, you need to keep a controller with raised hand, instead of having a wheel you can literally lay on.
This is true, my arms did begin to ache after a while when holding it in a wheel type position. I then discovered that it worked quite well with the controller held flat (as you would normally) and it was much more comfortable.

Give it a try sometime, giving it a few laps to adjust. You can always swap back.
(You might need to calibrate the steering under the wheel settings)

I can be smooth enough with my thumb with relaxed hands.
I'm the opposite in that when swapping from my wheel I find the much reduced stick movement awkward. I'm always twitchy. I found the controller tilt option a bit more of an easy transition.
But each to their own, it's what you personally feel comfortable with that matters.

I'm the opposite in that when swapping from my wheel I find the much reduced stick movement awkward. I'm always twitchy. I found the controller tilt option a bit more of an easy transition.
But each to their own, it's what you personally feel comfortable with that matters.
How often do you play? I started with sims recently and currently it's pretty easy to me. It's hard after highly assisted games like GT to jump into it but wheel and controller should be comparable. Even yesterday I checked AMS2 leaderboards and some 3rd place was on a controller.

Does this look any better on PS5? Keep meaning to test it...i guess its on PS Pro performance?
Is resolution dynamic? I don't think so. But PC2 has relatively good enough resolution and it has better framerate now.

How often do you play?
Oh I've been playing racing/driving games since the early 1990s and most of that time it's been with a wheel of some sort. So as you can see jumping onto a controller isn't natural for me. If I know how the cars handle in the game well, like PC2, I can usually adjust to it after a while. Although I'm never as smooth as a dedicated controller user.

Does this look any better on PS5?
From posts I've read it's the usual better, more constant frame rate under most weather conditions with larger AI numbers. There's no leap in the visuals.

Oh I've been playing racing/driving games since the early 1990s and most of that time it's been with a wheel of some sort. So as you can see jumping onto a controller isn't natural for me. If I know how the cars handle in the game well, like PC2, I can usually adjust to it after a while. Although I'm never as smooth as a dedicated controller user.
Exactly. I started on a KB, then moved to a wheel for about 15 years and then moved to a gamepad. My playtime was rather short on the wheel I guess. I started to play racing games on a gamepad 3 years ago and sims few months ago. And I hope my skill will rise for some time but even now it's much better than I thought. Few months ago I thought racing games need assists on gamepads. Now it looks it's not true at all. It's an interesting journey.

So I probably understand your situation.

Even yesterday I checked AMS2 leaderboards and some 3rd place was on a controller.

One thing to perform a one good lap, other to do them 20 in a row. PS4 there a lot top times on controller too.

As for motion control, I can't do it. It is like I don't understand where even wheel if, and still turning a little physically make it huge in game, like there is no difference from stick.

It was worth a try. ;)
(You'd probably need to adjust your calibration and steering sensitivity so it's best to leave them set to what you're used to with the sticks.)

Problem not with a steering itself. I have actually put Speed Sensitivity on zero and it felt good, not like with sticks - super twitchy. Real struggle came from other control, for example when I need to perform right turn, and slightly break, have to put some weight to the opposite side of required movement, there for my head cracks and fails to make it right, since my breaks on L2, plus I have puddles on L1 as up and R1 as down, so I'm also need to somewhat not screw an exit for example by pressing R2 for gas, L1 for gear up and slowly turn controller left. It is even complicated on text, totally hard in action, especially on fast pace.
Plus hands really got tired pretty quick. With stick after an hour I can't feel my left hand, but with motion control it starts to hurt on both. May be I would be able to adopt, but it will take like super a lot of time, I play on pad since 90's, imagine a strength of the habit.

Last edited:
I did retest PC1 and PC2 on XSX. Both games are great. But I maybe found out why PC1 feels better on a pad to me. What about PC2 has higher input lag on a pad? It's just not as fast as in PC1 and that's the reason I love PC1 steering even if physics is probably inferior. Is it possible? PC2 is not that "raw" as PC1.

Does SMS analyzing how many players will switch to PC3 while all others are down? Current downtime made me think there is not so much time left to enjoy PC2 online experience. Don't forget to give a go, until it lasts:).

In other news, updated Speed Sensitivity made me again to relay on aero, and soften differential, with those options you can really tell when each is in works, and downforce really helps to keep up with steering, but unfortunately and obviously never helps with speed. Plus, I think now, Power ramp is most useless function in car with aero, 90 is the right number, no other compromise.

Last edited:
After playing GT Sport during PC2 servers down, I did found something that makes my head cracks. GT Sport indeed could be very close, and I managed to feel it like PC, finally, but not only static constant downforce that makes cars in GT stable, but simulated force on a wheel. In short, GT sport makes actual lazy steering rotation on controllers, you can't feel it, but it shows on steering graph, that no matter how fast you can move stick, a wheel in game struggle with force coming from tires. In PC2 I can really turn full lock in every situation, no matter how big numbers of steering ratio I set. This makes tires burn like a crazy, because my inputs unrealistically go with 1:1 and and with a speed of a stick.
With a help of suspension and downforce you can even manage that, but tire wear, temperature and pressure will suffer big times.

Little bonus, if you want to see this funny absurd mechanics, get any car without downforce and race a lap. On replay you will be able to see how wheels turning full lock, but if you have speed sensitivity, suspension and differential set up to counter it, car moves in ranges it allowed to move. Did noticed it before in VGTA races, but thought it is graphics glitch, was wrong, it is real time madness engine:lol:

Last edited:
GTS has very bad gamepad controls. It has more assists than cars in game. So no, it's not simulation, it's a helper.

You can't compare sim controls with assisted ones. Completely different worlds.

GTS has very bad gamepad controls. It has more assists than cars in game. So no, it's not simulation, it's a helper.

You can't compare sim controls with assisted ones. Completely different worlds.

It is not assist, it is, but is also a simulation of force feedback, where in PC you turning a wheel with a stick like Hercules.
You can set up a car to use tires only to slightly affect direction where to move, ignoring how much you turning in.

Last edited:
It is not assist, it is, but is also a simulation of force feedback, where in PC you turning a wheel with a stick like Hercules.
You can set up a car to use tires only to slightly affect direction where to move, ignoring how much you turning in.
I am not sure what are you talking about. GT doesn't allow you to steer because game knows better what you want. If you go full lock, game checks the tires and if you are near the maximum grip, it stops steering. So you can't steer more than your grip. Another assist is car stabilization, so you can shake with already assisted wheel like crazy and game stabilizes the car for you. There's some road smoothening too. And of course counter steering assist so if you try to counter steer somehow, games steers exactly what you need. The game is very easy to play then but you don't drive the car. In PC you are the driver.

I don't see any FFB connection but it's an interesting idea.

I don't see any FFB connection but it's an interesting idea.

In real car, for example, if you lower pressure to zero, you'll need much greater effort to turn steering wheel. The same goes to road conditions, and speed, but stick control completely ignores this physical force on steering. I never had a problem with an exit in PC simply because never had to deal with tires rotation, it is straight forward almost instantly. The same goes with steering ratio, in reality, it supposed to extend force on steering wheel needed to turn full lock, with a stick it turns at similar range, or with a little difference due to super short range. It's even shorter than in F1 car, matter of millimetres.
GT Sport in this regard more advanced, it simulates force on a steering wheel and it's rotation according to grip, not allowing instant movement.
Downforce is what stabilize a car in GT and you successfully can test it yourself by increasing it in PC.

In real car, for example, if you lower pressure to zero, you'll need much greater effort to turn steering wheel. The same goes to road conditions, and speed, but stick control completely ignores this physical force on steering. I never had a problem with an exit in PC simply because never had to deal with tires rotation, it is straight forward almost instantly. The same goes with steering ratio, in reality, it supposed to extend force on steering wheel needed to turn full lock, with a stick it turns at similar range, or with a little difference due to super short range. It's even shorter than in F1 car, matter of millimetres.
GT Sport in this regard more advanced, it simulates force on a steering wheel and it's rotation according to grip, not allowing instant movement.
Downforce is what stabilize a car in GT and you successfully can test it yourself by increasing it in PC.
Wow, I get it but the conclusion is very interesting.

PC is mostly direct input which is exactly what I want. Like somebody here mentioned before it's like RC cars. I don't care about physics, I just want wheel in my thumb and that's what direct input does (with some filters).

If you like GT it's OK then. I don't like the helpers and don't think the game is good for gamepad users. It's good for complete beginners to start with racing. What do you think about Forza MOtorsport? It doesn't have stabilization and counter steering helper. It's much better but still steering is a bit problematic (grip checking) but if you go directly from any sim, it's very similar.

Wow, I get it but the conclusion is very interesting.

PC is mostly direct input which is exactly what I want. Like somebody here mentioned before it's like RC cars. I don't care about physics, I just want wheel in my thumb and that's what direct input does (with some filters).

If you like GT it's OK then. I don't like the helpers and don't think the game is good for gamepad users. It's good for complete beginners to start with racing. What do you think about Forza MOtorsport? It doesn't have stabilization and counter steering helper. It's much better but still steering is a bit problematic (grip checking) but if you go directly from any sim, it's very similar.

Unfortunately I have and all my life had a PlayStation, but Forza is really very interesting and I hope someday everyone would be able to play it. That's also a reason why I compare PC to GT Sport.
I didn't said I completely like it, just this little detail makes the game outstanding.
Like direct input too, but want to feel tire model works, not how car's set up tons it down.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have and all my life had a PlayStation, but Forza is really very interesting and I hope someday everyone would be able to play it. That's also a reason why I compare PC to GT Sport.
I didn't said I completely like it, just this little detail makes the game outstanding.
Like direct input too, but want to feel tire model works, not how car's set up tons it down.
It depends on what you like. Forza is better for gamepad controls but still very far from normal sims. I don't have a problem with Forza but don't have time for it at all if we have so many great sims around.

Maybe you like more assisted controls I am not sure. Today I checked AMS2 forum and many people like GTS and PC3 controls and don't like AMS2 controls. That's a bit crazy. PC3 has the worst possible controls from some perspective and GTS is second one :D It's not for sims, it's good for arcades like Grid. For instance, if you like assisted controls ACC is probably the best I know but it's very similar to something like GT even it still have very nice driving feeling. Fortunately you can disable it in ACC because it's a proper sim I guess.

What about AC? It always felt easier than PC and it's still very good to play but I don't have time now.

What about AC? It always felt easier than PC and it's still very good to play but I don't have time now.

I keep it for PS5 and will grab the whole package, hopefully on sale. Times are hard now and money short. ACC looks great.

Still, assistance in sims isn't a point I brought, just a realistic aspect that missed for a pad user. In better world I might will never think about it, but right now, without a rig and steering wheel, have to deal with stick nuances. The main point to get better, there is not enough to simply enjoy things to me, and that is why I dig this stuff.

I keep it for PS5 and will grab the whole package, hopefully on sale. Times are hard now and money short. ACC looks great.

Still, assistance in sims isn't a point I brought, just a realistic aspect that missed for a pad user. In better world I might will never think about it, but right now, without a rig and steering wheel, have to deal with stick nuances. The main point to get better, there is not enough to simply enjoy things to me, and that is why I dig this stuff.
Sure thing, it's crazy and usually very unfair. If you have a hotel, for instance :D Every older sims on consoles are very cheap in sales.

I am still not sure what you like. Helpers are fine if you don't need more. GTS is fine to play if don't want anything hard. But that's not the point of sims. OK, racing is important but without great driving? I am not sure. It looks like can be same sensitive as on a wheel. OK, 1 degree correction on 900 degree wheel is not possible but you can be sensitive enough.

Sometimes I want something easy. One possibility is to take easy game like GTS. Another one is taking easy car in a sim. It's interesting how some cars are easy to drive. I am not sure what future brings but currently I am rather happy with more simulations.

Sure thing, it's crazy and usually very unfair. If you have a hotel, for instance :D Every older sims on consoles are very cheap in sales.

I am still not sure what you like. Helpers are fine if you don't need more. GTS is fine to play if don't want anything hard. But that's not the point of sims. OK, racing is important but without great driving? I am not sure. It looks like can be same sensitive as on a wheel. OK, 1 degree correction on 900 degree wheel is not possible but you can be sensitive enough.

Sometimes I want something easy. One possibility is to take easy game like GTS. Another one is taking easy car in a sim. It's interesting how some cars are easy to drive. I am not sure what future brings but currently I am rather happy with more simulations.

Not easy, say competitive. If for instance I can't be as fast as stable as competition, why would I want to take part. For example, because of limits of controller steering, had to retire from my league racing in GTO cars. It may happen because I not ready, but at some races showed close to top results, or may be it happen because PC controller option doesn't allow me to do better, at last I didn't find right set up yet. I keep playing and experimenting, gaining experience, but outside of my competitive environment. This slightly upsetting.

Back