Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Not easy, say competitive. If for instance I can't be as fast as stable as competition, why would I want to take part. For example, because of limits of controller steering, had to retire from my league racing in GTO cars. It may happen because I not ready, but at some races showed close to top results, or may be it happen because PC controller option doesn't allow me to do better, at last I didn't find right set up yet. I keep playing and experimenting, gaining experience, but outside of my competitive environment. This slightly upsetting.
Ah, I get it. I moved from competitive side to learning one. I was rather good in nosims and it's time to step up but it will take a lot of time I guess. If you wan't to be as good as with a wheel, it's better to play assisted ones (GTS, PC3, ACC with default settings). I would like to be good with pad but it will take at least one year. Good thing is I should be much better in nonsims after so I can go back probably. And I am not sure what I will do/play next time.

Ah, I get it. I moved from competitive side to learning one. I was rather good in nosims and it's time to step up but it will take a lot of time I guess. If you wan't to be as good as with a wheel, it's better to play assisted ones (GTS, PC3, ACC with default settings). I would like to be good with pad but it will take at least one year. Good thing is I should be much better in nonsims after so I can go back probably. And I am not sure what I will do/play next time.

From personal experience, you'll be much better. PC will learn you to drive correctly and train very strong habit, because of unforgiving realism it has. You might also notice that assistance doesn't really bother much, because you will not create situation for it to engage.

From personal experience, you'll be much better. PC will learn you to drive correctly and train very strong habit, because of unforgiving realism it has. You might also notice that assistance doesn't really bother much, because you will not create situation for it to engage.
Exactly. Sims can teach you how to use a pad and how to drive. I understand people who can't drive in PC, for instance. If you don't play any good game you can't use gamepad. It's normal. When I tried PC for the first time, it was very strange :D But there was a reason for it.

That's true. I still can play relatively well Forza Motorsport because it has least assists from normal games. Steering is a bit strange but you can use it. Horizon is a bit different because of added assists but if you don't slide it's still very good and possible to drive, because Horizon has Motorsport physics with some tuning and assists. Funny thing is I can't play PC3 at all, it's so bad. I wonder if I could play it year ago. Hard to say today but steering is broken after few seconds in the game for me. It's unbelievable bad and I don't understand why others don't have any problem. GTS is problematic because it's very assisted but you can accommodate if you have any reason (I don't).

@Johnnn I think PC3 has very Need For Speed physics, something in between classic era and Heat, Hot Pursuit that has been remastered recently. It is ok for a arcade game, I can't complain. To me PC3 has much more serious flaws in other aspects, than in physics.

@Johnnn I think PC3 has very Need For Speed physics, something in between classic era and Heat, Hot Pursuit that has been remastered recently. It is ok for a arcade game, I can't complain. To me PC3 has much more serious flaws in other aspects, than in physics.
I don't see it there. To me PC3 has PC2 physics with some tuning and with many controller assists. The controls creates something like arcade from it. But the physics looked OK what I tested. Yeah, PC3 is just bad :D I never understood the intro. Every PC intro is great, like AC. Then you have something completely crazy. The is not part of the series to me. If SMS is still able to create successor to PC2 I will buy it. Otherwise Reiza is here for us. But it's funny situation because SMS has great technology and two games. PC3 is something like huge misstep and AMS2 is crazy good. It will be interesting what EA brings to the table. I hope Reiza has good contract.

I don't see it there. To me PC3 has PC2 physics with some tuning and with many controller assists. The controls creates something like arcade from it. But the physics looked OK what I tested. Yeah, PC3 is just bad :D I never understood the intro. Every PC intro is great, like AC. Then you have something completely crazy. The is not part of the series to me. If SMS is still able to create successor to PC2 I will buy it. Otherwise Reiza is here for us. But it's funny situation because SMS has great technology and two games. PC3 is something like huge misstep and AMS2 is crazy good. It will be interesting what EA brings to the table. I hope Reiza has good contract.

Dunno, if EA's studious will really put a hand on Project Cars it could be full package most finished racing game. SMS already has completed, competitive physical model and engine, they most definitely lacking appearance and presentation. EA never let me down in regards of creativity on fillers, all Need For Speed games had a lot of content connected together by decent structure and events. I mean Shift was not only a racing simulator, but an interesting single player game, Pro Street was a peak of a semi simulator hybrid. If they manage to do better together, at least in some extent, it would be awesome. Adding Codemasters to the mix, and to fail isn't an option, it seems just impossible to misstep, having so much good things in one game.
I'm very optimistic, I know EA could be a scum sometime, but they not only make money, they spend them on their games and this is how it suppose to be. Personally, they could really flood their game with questionable financial mechanics, but it's all has to be worth it and EA can develop like that too.

Dunno, if EA's studious will really put a hand on Project Cars it could be full package most finished racing game. SMS already has completed, competitive physical model and engine, they most definitely lacking appearance and presentation. EA never let me down in regards of creativity on fillers, all Need For Speed games had a lot of content connected together by decent structure and events. I mean Shift was not only a racing simulator, but an interesting single player game, Pro Street was a peak of a semi simulator hybrid. If they manage to do better together, at least in some extent, it would be awesome. Adding Codemasters to the mix, and to fail isn't an option, it seems just impossible to misstep, having so much good things in one game.
I'm very optimistic, I know EA could be a scum sometime, but they not only make money, they spend them on their games and this is how it suppose to be. Personally, they could really flood their game with questionable financial mechanics, but it's all has to be worth it and EA can develop like that too.
You are really optimistic :D I don't know. What I recently see PC1 development was very independent and the game is among the best I played. AMS and everything around looks very similar and it's pretty good even not many people care about their games. Kunos is small and probably relatively independent.

It's possible EA will spend some money but I don't think it will be good. Small independent studio with crowdfunding looks like a best option for catching best talents. Hard to imagine EA or CM has many talented people to help with something. So I don't know but who knows. EA had great games in 90s but it's all gone. It's not bad now but racing sims needs probably something different.

The best option would be EA's money for talents but it's in fairy tales only :D Most money usually eats incompetent idiots. Talent is not about money.

You are really optimistic :D I don't know. What I recently see PC1 development was very independent and the game is among the best I played. AMS and everything around looks very similar and it's pretty good even not many people care about their games. Kunos is small and probably relatively independent.

It's possible EA will spend some money but I don't think it will be good. Small independent studio with crowdfunding looks like a best option for catching best talents. Hard to imagine EA or CM has many talented people to help with something. So I don't know but who knows. EA had great games in 90s but it's all gone. It's not bad now but racing sims needs probably something different.

The best option would be EA's money for talents but it's in fairy tales only :D Most money usually eats incompetent idiots. Talent is not about money.

The real problem with pure sims, they don't sell, they mostly don't sell because they have an inside and nothing to show. To make a complete game, you only need to put simulator into a flashy box of arcade racer. All those things you love, and others that crowd love, could live right there in title screen, give a choice:
- Default assistant.
- Default simulation.
- Hardcore custom.

Matter of switch and additional programming shouldn't be a problem for 3 studios and one of the most richest publishers in the world.

Want to run out from cops at fictional track, fighting for a first place in a DTM spec. car on realistic tire model, in a thunderstorm at late Summer, here you go, want a custom motorsport endurance 24 hours race at Nürburgring at mixed conditions of a Spring, with line up from GT3 to Opel Manta to tuned street racing Golf II with physics for a child - here you go. Love classic of ether, go and set it up. It is all there, in their hands, and it all could be right here in your. Everything.

Last edited:
The real problem with pure sims, they don't sell, they mostly don't sell because they have an inside and nothing to show. To make a complete game, you only need to put simulator into a flashy box of arcade racer. All those things you love, and others that crowd love, could live right there in title screen, give a choice:
- Default assistant.
- Default simulation.
- Hardcore custom.

Matter of switch and additional programming shouldn't be a problem for 3 studios and one of the most richest publishers in the world.

Want to run out from cops at fictional track, fighting for a first place in a DTM spec. car on realistic tire model, in a thunderstorm at late Summer, here you go, want a custom motorsport endurance 24 hours race at Nürburgring at mixed conditions of a Spring, with line up from GT3 to Opel Manta to tuned street racing Golf II with physics for a child - here you go. Love classic of ether, go and set it up. It is all there, in their hands, and it all could be right here in your. Everything.
Yeah, that's true. I should be more optimistic too :D Maybe it will be fine.

I was thinking recently how "bad" I give a score to sims. I just take few cars and tracka and that's enough. Sure, some AI too, but most AIs are bad, mostly on consoles. But that's probably not enough for everybody. I don't care about sound, I don't care too much about graphics. It's just about driving the car with great controls and OK physics. And everybody is different! It must be very hard to build anything today because everything is a trash in someone's opinion.

And sometimes I would like to try something new.

And about choices, that's exactly it. Why PC3 is not PC2? Because it's bad designed easy to grab racer. But give me better menu and options to disable all assists and it could be good game. Sims are always about configuration. So it could be possible to widen it up a bit. PC could be awesome game for casuals with assists. Something like GT but much more real.

The real problem with pure sims, they don't sell, they mostly don't sell because they have an inside and nothing to show. To make a complete game, you only need to put simulator into a flashy box of arcade racer.
It's not just about sales. I believe driving/racing sims in and of themselves are in dire need of greater diversity in experiences, gameplay, content...not just more and more and more circuit-based motorsports simulators like PCARS2, ACC, AMS2, iRacing, or rF2 until the end of time!

The utter depletion of my patience on that point is a significant part of the energy driving me in my personal project. :lol:

It's not just about sales. I believe driving/racing sims in and of themselves are in dire need of greater diversity in experiences, gameplay, content...not just more and more and more circuit-based motorsports simulators like PCARS2, ACC, AMS2, iRacing, or rF2 until the end of time!

The utter depletion of my patience on that point is a significant part of the energy driving me in my personal project. :lol:

I got what you mean, yeah road cars may be even in peaceful environment, just to enjoy a ride over Alpine roads.

Project Cars 2 kinda got a little about it. This is where GT out placed Project Cars very much, I really missed and enjoyed to drive 935 and RC F around different tracks, just for a ride, not a race. Pretty funny that lobbies with speed limit and police are still a very popular thing in Sport, charming, never enjoyed this, but the fact of it is amazing.

Last edited:
I tried online racing again last night after a long time away. My rating is in the F category and I fell in with a bunch of Canadians who were all way higher than that and I had an absolute blast! Had a couple of good clean races before the room went private and I was pleased to be invited. Only thing is I dont have a mic so couldn't chat at all. What setups do you use for this? Would a bluetooth mobile phone headset work?

@XJ40 I think Playstation should support BT headsets, but I use their headphones and they come with external BT module. Even if it will work, mic without proper noise reduction will be a pain for your mates, because they will hear all surrounding sounds in your room.

I tried online racing again last night after a long time away. My rating is in the F category and I fell in with a bunch of Canadians who were all way higher than that and I had an absolute blast! Had a couple of good clean races before the room went private and I was pleased to be invited. Only thing is I dont have a mic so couldn't chat at all. What setups do you use for this? Would a bluetooth mobile phone headset work?
You were probably in my room last night. Yes it will work. Just have to pair it with your PS4. We race every night. Usually we start around 5 PM EST.

If you had a great time and the Canadians were down to earth, raucous, friendly, and helpful... then you were most certainly in playa's room. Online he's "abetterplaya"

He's a rare find and so is his group. They are extremely fast and highly skilled but they don't take themselves seriously and they help newcomers. Playa even shares setups with you for specific cars and tracks.

I'm so glad you mentioned him and his group because I forgot how much fun I used to have with them. But, I think they only race NASCAR type tracks. Daytona, Indianapolis, etc

Last edited:
If you had a great time and the Canadians were down to earth, raucous, friendly, and helpful... then you were most certainly in playa's room. Online he's "abetterplaya"

He's a rare find and so is his group. They are extremely fast and highly skilled but they don't take themselves seriously and they help newcomers. Playa even shares setups with you for specific cars and tracks.

I'm so glad you mentioned him and his group because I forgot how much fun I used to have with them. But, I think they only race NASCAR type tracks. Daytona, Indianapolis, etc
We race everything. Every track. Anyone can feel free to join. We usually get online around 5 PM EST. Look for my room.

Last edited:
I think I have it worked out. I currently have a wheel and keyboard plugged ino a standard ps4. If I were to buy a ps4 gaming headphone and plug that into a redundant controller that was switched on but not used for controlling the car, would that allow me decent sounds plus speech?

Hey I just won a race! Go Gizmo :lol:

Edit: I should have added I usually use normal headphones plugged into the stereo for better, louder sound that doesn't bug the neighbours

Last edited:
For those who might still reading about my endless searches, a little report.
So turning off Power Coast gave great positive results, in combination with precious dampers tuning and help of maximum possible downforce, every GT car became just what I wanted, without high speed sensitivity and messing with differential. Car turns very smoothly and tires keep with in a range. Like a dream, yet...
Here is a step forward, that seriously complicate the whole process. So, reading about dumpers, I have noticed that engineers mentioned, that dampers supposed to be tuned in cross manner, instead of linear, and now clearly see why. Have FR and RL wheels having big, and somewhat connected difference, where FR wheel usually lacks temperature and can't raise pressure, and RL overheating and requires lower pressures. This means very hard messy dive into asymmetrical fine tuning... the worse and might will mean another ton of time driving with disbalance and spins, but will it be worth, current set up gain about -1 second from previous times, mostly stable. This is kinda 1-2 seconds off from desired results.

Good research! It reminds me something. Yesterday I played ACC and then I moved to AMS2 (PC2 input) and it was so bad. I know about it but we both accommodated. Sensitivity settings is very bad in PC. We need more sliders to tune it I guess. My problem is I need to register even slight movements but it's too sensitive around zero. If I tune sensitivity (it's linearity) down, it's OK around center but it's unsensitive. AC is good.

Last edited:
Well, in a perfect controller implementation world - speed sensitivity should not be a thing at all.

Dunno, what else to expect from this, but I think we need simply separate slider for each car. Also dunno about AMS, have they copy pasted those mechanics or worked them out, because PC could used to some work with general implementation.

Last edited:
Speed sensitivity is always good. You need to have full lock in lower speeds but you need only few degrees in higher speeds.

I am not sure but it looks like PC2 implementation. Sensitivity means linearity and linear (50) means too sensitive around 0. AMS1 has normal ISImotor implementation, maybe tuned, and it was good. AC has many sliders for everything and it's good too.

My problem today was I used the most HC car to train and then this PC2 input problem is very visible. If I take some easy car it's OK.

Each car settings would be cool :D Differences are big.

I think I have it worked out. I currently have a wheel and keyboard plugged ino a standard ps4. If I were to buy a ps4 gaming headphone and plug that into a redundant controller that was switched on but not used for controlling the car, would that allow me decent sounds plus speech?

Hey I just won a race! Go Gizmo :lol:

Edit: I should have added I usually use normal headphones plugged into the stereo for better, louder sound that doesn't bug the neighbours
Good job Gizmo! Buy a 4 port USB hub. You can plug all that into it. See if you had a mic I could of told you.

Re-installed this on my laptop having not played it for a couple of years after being disappointed with the AI and lack of quali in Forza 7 and having a blast. It's a game I always wanted to like but found it awkward playing with a gamepad (getting a wheel's still on my to-do list...). After a lot of trial and error and jiggery-pokery with the settings I've finally got it to work well for me. I'm floored by how well it holds up graphically, it's easily the best looking game on my laptop. it's a shame the team changed tack with the third installment.

Was getting into ACC but due to health issues don't have the dexterity or stamina to do long races so needed something more arcady.

Last edited:
Re-installed this on my laptop having not played it for a couple of years after being disappointed with the AI and lack of quali in Forza 7 and having a blast. It's a game I always wanted to like but found it awkward playing with a gamepad (getting a wheel's still on my to-do list...). After a lot of trial and error and jiggery-pokery with the settings I've finally got it to work well for me. I'm floored by how well it holds up graphically, it's easily the best looking game on my laptop. it's a shame the team changed tack with the third installment.

Was getting into ACC but due to health issues don't have the dexterity or stamina to do long races so needed something more arcady.
Health issues are the worst.. Sorry to here that.

I'm posting this with great excitement.

I'm always complaining that racing games, at least on console, don't have enough AI mistakes. I'm not referring to mistakes that happened on turn one when cars get bunched up, but mistakes that happen later during a race.

I set up a multi-class at Monza. I set up a 1 hour practice before the race. Before the 44 minute mark there were 2 incidents. They may have been more but these happen to be incidents that I came upon.

I immediately use the record feature on the PS5 and I recorded both of them. Interestingly, the AI aggression was only set at 30

If anyone cares to see the videos (one is about 50 seconds and the other about 15 seconds), I need instructions as how to get them from my gallery to this website.

Or, I'd be happy to do a screen share to show it to you.

There may not be a lot of people who care about this but I love the fact that the AI can make mistakes on its own.

Back