Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
Review of the latest (Oct/No last year) PopsRacingFFB files, while past ones have improved things, the latest ones are a significant game changer.

Unfortunately, this will only help those on PC, no customer FFB files for console.

PC2 great game + these settings and others = great times.

^

Over the weekend I bought pc2 for the 3rd time. First two times were on ps4.

I love the game even om more on pc. It's such a blast on super ultra widescreen with graphical settings maximised.

Even on default FFB settings it's good enough. I admit, AMS2 is better. So I will give the PopsRacingFFB files a try tonight.

Review of the latest (Oct/No last year) PopsRacingFFB files, while past ones have improved things, the latest ones are a significant game changer.

Unfortunately, this will only help those on PC, no customer FFB files for console.

Just got a Fanatec DD1 last week, first wheel setup and will give this a try tonight. Haven't messed with games files before, always just play but this looks simple enough.

Just got a Fanatec DD1 last week, first wheel setup and will give this a try tonight. Haven't messed with games files before, always just play but this looks simple enough.
Great time to start! I have a DD2 and the PopsRacer FFB is fairly essential. On top of using it as is, you can fine tune things like standing engine vibration or the intensity of individual effects you are feeling, outside of the sliders. It's great to learn how to fine tune to get the feel you want.
You're going to like that wheel base.

Great time to start! I have a DD2 and the PopsRacer FFB is fairly essential. On top of using it as is, you can fine tune things like standing engine vibration or the intensity of individual effects you are feeling, outside of the sliders. It's great to learn how to fine tune to get the feel you want.
You're going to like that wheel base.
It really is, went from mainly just playing Forza 7, FH and PC2 with a controller to a Humble bundle with AC, ACC, Rfactor2 and Automobilista 2. Don't know where to start.

PC2 has been my console racer of choice since it launched.

ACC had promise but for some reason it doesn't hold me. Even on PS5 it's just too much work and I hate the rolling starts.

I considered GTS (mostly played OFFLINE) too arcade for my taste.

I am enjoying Gran Turismo 7, though.

But, today I had the most glorious experience I've had in years and, unsurprisingly, it was with PC2

I did a multi-class race at Le Man. 12 laps, 3 weather slots (overcast, rain, sunny). I use this to force at least 2 pit stops.

20 minute practice with 2 weather slots so I can practice pitting for wets and racing in the rain.

Although I'm really liking GT7, nothing I've done with it so far has matched the feelings I had with PC2.

Yes, PC2 is still better than GT7. By far.
I did 3 Custom Races in GT7 tonight coincidentally to see if I could have fun and not worry about the crappy horrible payouts from them. I was spun out from behind by the AI in EACH RACE. One race almost three times alone but I managed to save two of them.
And that's me keeping my racing line and them turning into me from behind to get into the racing line to make the apex like I don't even exist. It's maddening. But most of all it's bad. This happens all the time too. Did they not test this?
The only other title that does this is Assetto Corsa. That's from ten years ago and the AI are nowhere near as bad as GT7 that came out in 2022.

Worth to mention online portion of the game is somewhat dead, even on weekends there very few random lobbies. And weird connection problems on PS5 doesn't help to even in leagues. Getting disconnected from 80% of attempts to join and it seems common problem not only for me.

Any recommended controller settings for a non wheel user ? I've been having fun but I want to see if there are any settings that can give some improvements.

Any recommended controller settings for a non wheel user ? I've been having fun but I want to see if there are any settings that can give some improvements.
Oooh, this is going to open up a can of controller debating worms :)

I'll give you mine but be advised this is based on other factors before hand ok.

My settings are based on racing the AI at 110/60 (regarding how quick they can get around most corners) also gives me a good chance against real people online using wheels.

I like a very direct input (hence the settings) if I push the trigger 30% I expect 30% throttle instantly, same for breaking, steering, etc. (no linearity/curvature in my inputs)

I don't use any assists, no abs, no tc, etc. Not because I'm an elitist (far from it) but because I like to be in full control, (if I make a mistake I know it's what I've done & not what the game has failed to incorporate) also I think the game feels better.

I use a FOV of 60, believe it or not but the higher you go with your fov it will damping your steering input, (a fov of 80 is less twitchy than 60) don't know why, it just is. (you can test it yourself) there's also a very slight damping effect between using different camera views, cockpit view is ever so slightly more direct that helmet view (with or without helmet showing)

I have started recently messing around with the speed sensitivity to test things & as a result I've noticed that based on the above settings in a high downforce car this can be very high, this is purely based on high speed stability & if set to high then you will simply not get around a corner as fast as the AI, the opposite of this however is you will possibly lose control in high speed change of direction situations if set to low.

The bonus of this setting is you can change it instantly from the control menu when paused, so if you find a car to sluggish to turn or to twitchy at high speed you can quickly adjust it up or down to your liking.

Example in a GTE class car I can corner at the same speed as the AI at 110 with a setting of 98, but in a GT5 class car at the same AI skill level I need to drop it to 92 because there's less downforce, (this also depends on how you like your cars setup ie loose or stable)

Now this can be somewhat left at one setting that you like & forget about it (I used to leave it about 75 myself back when I first started) but what I learnt from PC2 that if you're going to lose control or catch a slide then no matter what settings you use it'll happen either way regardless & I've been a lot more successful both against the AI & online doing it like this.

But remember this is how I like it based on a very direct no damping controller setup, hope it helps.

Controller deadzone = 0
Controller sensitivity = 50
Throttle deadzone = 0
Throttle sensitivity = 50
Brake deadzone = 0
Brake sensitivity = 50
Clutch deadzone = 0
Clutch sensitivity = 50
Speed sensitivity = car/class pending
Controller dampening = 0
Vibration = 100
Fuel rate = real
Tyre wear = authentic
Traction control = off
Stability control = off
ABS = off

I feel a disclaimer is needed just incase :lol:

Disclaimer: I in no way state that these are the definitive controller settings, just my own.

Just like any setting being controller, wheel, ffb, car, tv, audio, hdr etc they're a personal choice & as such you have the right to adjust such settings to achieve your handling, viewing, listening pleasure.

I take no responsibility for the deviation of one setting that may or may not have an effect on another setting.

Regards

The Grumpy Company :)

Last edited:
Oooh, this is going to open up a can of controller debating worms :)

I'll give you mine but be advised this is based on other factors before hand ok.

My settings are based on racing the AI at 110/60 (regarding how quick they can get around most corners) also gives me a good chance against real people online using wheels.

I like a very direct input (hence the settings) if I push the trigger 30% I expect 30% throttle instantly, same for breaking, steering, etc. (no linearity/curvature in my inputs)

I don't use any assists, no abs, no tc, etc. Not because I'm an elitist (far from it) but because I like to be in full control, (if I make a mistake I know it's what I've done & not what the game has failed to incorporate) also I think the game feels better.

I use a FOV of 60, believe it or not but the higher you go with your fov it will damping your steering input, (a fov of 80 is less twitchy than 60) don't know why, it just is. (you can test it yourself) there's also a very slight damping effect between using different camera views, cockpit view is ever so slightly more direct that helmet view (with or without helmet showing)

I have started recently messing around with the speed sensitivity to test things & as a result I've noticed that based on the above settings in a high downforce car this can be very high, this is purely based on high speed stability & if set to high then you will simply not get around a corner as fast as the AI, the opposite of this however is you will possibly lose control in high speed change of direction situations if set to low.

The bonus of this setting is you can change it instantly from the control menu when paused, so if you find a car to sluggish to turn or to twitchy at high speed you can quickly adjust it up or down to your liking.

Example in a GTE class car I can corner at the same speed as the AI at 110 with a setting of 98, but in a GT5 class car at the same AI skill level I need to drop it to 92 because there's less downforce, (this also depends on how you like your cars setup ie loose or stable)

Now this can be somewhat left at one setting that you like & forget about it (I used to leave it about 75 myself back when I first started) but what I learnt from PC2 that if you're going to lose control or catch a slide then no matter what settings you use it'll happen either way regardless & I've been a lot more successful both against the AI & online doing it like this.

But remember this is how I like it based on a very direct no damping controller setup, hope it helps.

Controller deadzone = 0
Controller sensitivity = 50
Throttle deadzone = 0
Throttle sensitivity = 50
Brake deadzone = 0
Brake sensitivity = 50
Clutch deadzone = 0
Clutch sensitivity = 50
Speed sensitivity = car/class pending
Controller dampening = 0
Vibration = 100
Fuel rate = real
Tyre wear = authentic
Traction control = off
Stability control = off
ABS = off

I feel a disclaimer is needed just incase :lol:

Disclaimer: I in no way state that these are the definitive controller settings, just my own.

Just like any setting being controller, wheel, ffb, car, tv, audio, hdr etc they're a personal choice & as such you have the right to adjust such settings to achieve your handling, viewing, listening pleasure.

I take no responsibility for the deviation of one setting that may or may not have an effect on another setting.

Regards

The Grumpy Company :)
Nice! I'll try this one. I also try not to use the assists since I, too like to be in full control.

After many years of playing, the only confusing part about controller settings is Speed Sensitivity and Mr. Grumpy is right about everything around it. But I recommend you to use 75 or slightly higer. Reason is that you will get used to it, and in fact golden middle ground between all classes and cars, and no need to change it every time. Everything else could be 1 to 1 input or personal prefences, in the end it is all could be overwriten by a car set up.

@GTboyz here's my settings
Very similar to Mr grumpy as I remember rightly he helped me a few years ago, such a lovely old Grump :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_221948282.jpg
    IMG_20220713_221948282.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220713_222006745.jpg
    IMG_20220713_222006745.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 14
I snatched an Xbox Series X on Prime Day and, of course, PC2 is one of the games I have uploaded. Wow, it really feels like a much-improved game, not only in the graphics department (all visual effects on full!) but in the interaction of what is happening on the screen and my controller: No input lag, superb responsiveness, and the rumble effect is miles better than the old Xbox controller.

I snatched an Xbox Series X on Prime Day and, of course, PC2 is one of the games I have uploaded. Wow, it really feels like a much-improved game, not only in the graphics department (all visual effects on full!) but in the interaction of what is happening on the screen and my controller: No input lag, superb responsiveness, and the rumble effect is miles better than the old Xbox controller.
Yep big improvement isn't it 👍

So PC2 and PC3 scale well to the current gen platform even without specific patches?
Everything is nice, except I am playing on PS5 in performance mode on normal tv, 1080p without HDR, and shadows at daytime are very dark. It is hard to explain, but in compare you will definitelly see the deference. It isn't game breaking, but some places and objects at certain sun angles appear almost pitch black.

So PC2 and PC3 scale well to the current gen platform even without specific patches?
PC2 has a One X patch and that's the version it runs in the Series X (The Series S will run the regular Xbox version, but with better performance). PC3 is better in general in the Series X, but has issues here and there, specially with reflections.

Everything is nice, except I am playing on PS5 in performance mode on normal tv, 1080p without HDR, and shadows at daytime are very dark. It is hard to explain, but in compare you will definitelly see the deference. It isn't game breaking, but some places and objects at certain sun angles appear almost pitch black.
Maybe check the gamma curve on your TV? Less than 2.2 could solve it. I don't know if you can adjust the gamma from the console itself.

Back