Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
There will not be I can assure you that has been stated. You will progress in the manner of a motor sports career rather than an arcade racer.

When I started playing PCARS in 2015 I kinda felt the same way, this "all cars immediately available from the start" scared me a bit in such way that I was afraid there wouldn't be much singleplayer. Fast forward to today and being only in the 4th or 5th season of my singleplayer career I have to say the PCARS singleplayer mode is a lot more immersive than the one in FM6. That is if you are after immersion, race weekends and racing calendars.

Coming from GT/FM you just gotta step away from that mindset of having to race to earn credits to buy new cars and to complete a chapter to 100% so that you unlock the next one.

I do love building up from small to big as well and in PCARS that is just as much available as in FM. If you follow the "zero to hero" career mode you start small in karts in your first season, then super karts, then Renault Clio Cup, then GT5, then GT4, then GT3 and that is where I'm now. You can branch off towards open wheelers as well instead of following the GT route like I did. And luckily, there are plenty of invitational events along the way as well that give some diversion from your main championships. Or you can just skip them all together as well. To quote that other game: you are the boss, this is your festival. :)

Last edited:
Thanks. I missed the pesky mouseover roll out list.

Sorry for derailing the thread mods.

Great to see you in here Ian. I love Project CARS. It's graphics are still the best you can get on PC or anywhere else. I am amazed you guys can improve on that. I also appreciate your extensive wheel support and your willingness to interact with the community. Thank you!

Wassa matter?
You don't want all the cars hidden until you put in hundreds of hours of racing offline, repetitvely running the same high payout events over and over and over in order to feel like you've "earned" your garage and aren't a "lazy" gamer?:lol:

I'm not sure I could go back to the grindy nature of earning credits to buy cars in games now. Making the game feel like a job, instead of having access to all the cool stuff I already paid real money for. With only a small amount of time these days for gaming, I'm more than happy to be a "lazy" gamer :lol:

Edit: Just to add that I know you're being facetious, I was just quoting you to kind of expand on your point, rather than directly replying to you as if I thought you were being serious lol. 👍

Well there won't be, because this isn't Forza. Good news though, you can always just buy Forza if you want to earn money to buy the cars in the game.
Wassa matter?
You don't want all the cars hidden until you put in hundreds of hours of racing offline, repetitvely running the same high payout events over and over and over in order to feel like you've "earned" your garage and aren't a "lazy" gamer?:lol:
There is more than one way to design progression through a career mode, and the career mode in PCARS1 is not what it could be. Functionally, it's really just equivalent to the Event List of a Forza game, but cars are provided for you (with limited choice in the case of contracts), everything is "on rails" through the seasonal format, and the only thing to do is to check off victories and accomplishments that consist of collecting victories.

To me, the "Defending Champ" Historic Goal was as obnoxiously repetitive as any conventional GT/Forza-style game could ever be, forcing me to drive a boring tier 2 or tier 1 car in the same championship with the exact same weather patterns four times in a row.

I came into PCARS1's career mode with an open mind for something different, but it's not that different from a GT/FM game, just more restrictive, ironically. Sure, you aren't forced to start in the slowest cars, but there's very little to do in the slower roadcars, which I personally find more interesting. There's very little to do with certain categories like the Group A touring cars, too. There's a bunch of championship seasons that loop the same weather patterns every year, and a pile of invitationals that stretch the breadth of the game's car list without exploring very much of many of them.

What I would like to see is something akin to the career mode in GRID, where you can operate as a driver working for contracts and/or drive for your own team, with a basic custom livery from presets, your own number (why were we asked to pick one in PCARS1?), collecting sponsorships based on your performance that you can actually put on your car (it doesn't have to involve earning money to buy new cars), with cycling seasons that allow you to drive any kind of car you want without repeating identical races.

The career mode could offer more of a sense of progression, purpose, or personality but retain a seasonal motorsports format. I appreciate the inherent added depth of race weekends like @breyzipp mentioned, but when the big picture of it all is more or less meaningless and impersonal, there's limited motivation to dive that far into making every race count. Earning credits to buy cars isn't the only other direction to go; there could be accomplishments that mean more than checking off a box, or a career format that rewards time spent with any vehicle of your choice.

Wassa matter?
👍

PC1&2 are the games made for me. SMS have opened the door to their lock up and said, "Have at it." Hey, F6 is cool. It has a wealth of vintage, new & obscure rides, livery editor and fun to play.
This game though, it's something on its own. I don't miss the vehicle customization, earning credits/yellow moons, orange stars, green clover or purple horseshoes. Its a Sub Zero game if I had to place it on a Cool Wall.

I wouldn't mind having a career like GRID Autosport, you still need to grind to reach to top tier of each motorsport branch which gave a better progression feel than pCARS 1 while keeping quick races fully unlocked.

Really simple thing to answer maybe....:confused: (I feel bad for tagging you guys who have already been so gracious.)

Headlight reflections in mirrors. I remember reading that the decision was made in pCars 1 to reduce brightness of headlights due to complaints of being too bright or something.

Those of us who really like night driving (on PS4 at least) are caught off guard when we can't see upcoming headlights more than 10-20 yards (meters?) in the mirror. And even looking back is hard to discern distance of the upcoming car.

Any chance something like that could be put on a slider to adjust the rearview brightness of the cars behind us?

I wouldn't mind having a career like GRID Autosport, you still need to grind to reach to top tier of each motorsport branch which gave a better progression feel than pCARS 1 while keeping quick races fully unlocked.

GRID Autosport's career is very similar to PCARS' career. Though with PCARS you can start at any discipline, even the top branches. But you can still do the lower branches anytime - in a complete season or as a one-off series - when you get a contract.

GRID Autosport's career is very similar to PCARS' career. Though with PCARS you can start at any discipline, even the top branches. But you can still do the lower branches anytime - in a complete season or as a one-off series - when you get a contract.

Yea it is quite similar but the often criticism on pCARS 1 is the lack of progression and I think a slightly restricted career mode might provide a better "progression" feel to the game. Since the general public seems to enjoy starting from something slow.

I did played a bit of pCARS 1 career, starting from GT5 Ginetta and climbed to GT3.

Yea it is quite similar but the often criticism on pCARS 1 is the lack of progression and I think a slightly restricted career mode might provide a better "progression" feel to the game. Since the general public seems to enjoy starting from something slow.

I did played a bit of pCARS 1 career, starting from GT5 Ginetta and climbed to GT3.

Well you can start with a slower series. The GT5 class for instance, or start where most race car drivers start off, which is Karting. It'll take a while until you gain interest from a higher discipline, but until then you keep working in the discipline you're currently signed up for. Perhaps do one-off series during off-season or during off-time.

If it was an option to have some kind of forced progression I think that would be fine. If it's the only option I don't think it would go over well. It would turn me off for sure.

I did like he added feature of beating your teammate and the opposition. That is something that would do well for offline Solo.
As it is, I usually pick an AI "opponent" each race. If there were a way to string a 5 race Solo Championship, assigning one or multiple AI to beat(even a teammate), would be a cool feature.

A mixture of all really. We have some very good partners who collate laser scans for sale, which we buy in and we also occasionally get laser scans from the licensor (the 4 Jonathan Palmer tracks in the UK for example).. By far the biggest gather area though is us going out and doing it ourselves, with or without partners.

Thank you interacting with the forums in a positive manner.
I just would like to say I hope that when we do voice negative aspects on the game (no game will ever be perfect) that you take the moral high ground and take it as positive criticism and not react like the guys over at Kunos.
Look forward to interacting with you going forward!

My one big wish for PCars2:
To get another service like iRacing. Nothing comes close in terms of multiplayer of safety racing/iRating but I have heard snippets that you are working on something similar. It is such a large gap in the landscape for such a service, iRacing basically has a monopoly on it. I seriously wish someone can come up with something similar....there is a strong desire for this....especially since there is nothing on Consoles...

Thank you interacting with the forums in a positive manner.
I just would like to say I hope that when we do voice negative aspects on the game (no game will ever be perfect) that you take the moral high ground and take it as positive criticism and not react like the guys over at Kunos.
Look forward to interacting with you going forward!

My one big wish for PCars2:
To get another service like iRacing. Nothing comes close in terms of multiplayer of safety racing/iRating but I have heard snippets that you are working on something similar. It is such a large gap in the landscape for such a service, iRacing basically has a monopoly on it. I seriously wish someone can come up with something similar....there is a strong desire for this....especially since there is nothing on Consoles...

How dare you even think of complaining about what I... I'm joking :)

We pay a lot of people to tell us how bad we are on a constant basis. You never grow or improve if you ignore your weaknesses and you'll get no better feedback in this area than from your players. I think this is one of the main reasons (along with the quality of our team) as to why we are improving so quickly.

It's all about how you frame your negative criticism. If it's not abusive then it's welcomed. That's our ethos.

@IanBell Thanks for your answer. What has been the most difficult track to license or scan? (and is already confirmed) And what track do you most want in Project Cars, but have you been unable to license? (because of exclusivities or disproportional costs)

The 24 hour Nordscheife. It's always busy and it's HUGE!! :)

I'd liked to have had an official Suzuka. But I'm not paying that sort of money for it.

I often wonder what sort of marketing angle they expect by pricing themselves out of the market. It makes zero sense to me. Surely if you have a product then you should embrace everyone who is pushing your product to a huge market.

Our Sakitto track rocks though :)

One more question @IanBell, will the GT3 class cars be a bit more even in pCARS 2? Because in the previous game I felt the McLaren and Bently had the upper hand.

The 24 hour Nordscheife. It's always busy and it's HUGE!! :)

I'd liked to have had an official Suzuka. But I'm not paying that sort of money for it.

I often wonder what sort of marketing angle they expect by pricing themselves out of the market. It makes zero sense to me. Surely if you have a product then you should embrace everyone who is pushing your product to a huge market.

Our Sakitto track rocks though :)

I'd say that extends to the no visual damage on the Mercedes as well. Not by pricing themselves out of the market but by preventing what games do with their cars. To be honest, that makes even less sense to me because safety of cars is helped by their ability to damage and disperse energy. That's my view though.

Out of curiosity, do we still have the previous generation of GT3s like the Z4? Or are those being replaced with their modern counterparts?

I'd say that extends to the no visual damage on the Mercedes as well. Not by pricing themselves out of the market but by preventing what games do with their cars. To be honest, that makes even less sense to me because safety of cars is helped by their ability to damage and disperse energy. That's my view though.

Out of curiosity, do we still have the previous generation of GT3s like the Z4? Or are those being replaced with their modern counterparts?

I could not agree with you more on this point.

Safety in the modern era is wholly linked with the dispersion of energy in a crash. That energy is normally dissipated by allowing parts to break off and by dint of crumple zones that keep the cockpit and driver intact. But I don't write the licensing rules.

I could not agree with you more on this point.

Safety in the modern era is wholly linked with the dispersion of energy in a crash. That energy is normally dissipated by allowing parts to break off and by dint of crumple zones that keep the cockpit and driver intact. But I don't write the licensing rules.

I want it to be very clear that this isn't a Mercedes issue. It's manufacturer wide. We do have visual damage on the Mercs. But we can't go to town on the level of damage, for all manufacturers, as we used to be able to 10 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want it to be very clear that this isn't a Mercedes issue. It's manufacturer wide. We do have visual damage on the Mercs. But we can't go to town on the level of damage, for all manufacturers, as we used to be able to 10 years ago.

So in regards to that, will there be a simplified dynamic model? Or just the all too common canned visual damage?
Are they just as strict on mechanical damage? Or is it possible to see that side in all its glory this time?

I personally would love full mechanical damage down to bent control arms and such even if it can't be visually represented

@IanBell Thanks again! I remember reading that Aston Martin (and its racing cars especially due to multiple holders of the rights) are notoriously difficult to license. But Project Cars appears to do just fine with Aston Martin (whereas Assetto Corsa doesn't have any and Forza Motorsport doesn't have any modern Aston Martin race cars such as the Vantage GTE and GT3). Are these Aston Martins difficult to license or are the others just lacking?

I'm pretty sure those license issues are way harder with these guys...
ferrari_PNG10665.png

They even complain for liveries!

Back