Project CARS 2 General Discussion Thread - Out Now on PS4/XB1/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 12,199 comments
@IanBell

Do we still have all the good fov options, seat adjustment, ability to turn off visual steering wheel etc on consoles too? It was great to have all those sim features in the first game as very few games on consoles have them, even Assetto doesn't..

Nifty, I didn't really expect wind to be any more than a visual effect. I don't know of any driving game to include tangible wind other than Live for Speed (over a decade ago).

@IanBell

Do we still have all the good fov options, seat adjustment, ability to turn off visual steering wheel etc on consoles too? It was great to have all those sim features in the first game as very few games on consoles have them, even Assetto doesn't..

IMO this was one of the best features about Pcars1. Would be a shame if it was taken out.

It's pretty :|

EDIT:
Thou, i'm not 100% sure if the photomode you're talking about is the same as i am ?

Thank you very much for the answer. If the photomode has advanced over pCARS1 then that would be great 👍

About your edit, you mean a photomode à la Driveclub ?

@IanBell ,

Just want to say thank you to you and your staff on making such and great game (Pcars)! I'm very much looking forward to Pcars 2! After pre-ordering a certain "race simulator" this year and being very disappointed with it, I will have to take back my comment of never pre-ordering a game again.

Keep up the good work!!

Hi @IanBell,

Working hard so early in the morning ^^

So I'll jump on the opportunity to ask 3 questions:

1) LiveTrack 3.0 seems very interesting (more like astonishing), especially when coupled with the multiple weather conditions pcars2 will have. Does it also make kerbs and astroturf slippery in wet conditions?

2) Will we be able to disable fences in VR?
I asked that question when VR officially made it to pcars1 because these assets brought lots of shimmering in VR due to low resolution, but unfortunately, those assets weren't flagged as anything special which made it impossible technically.

3) Also, something that was highly request from more "casual" gamers on the previous game, will pcars2 have some kind of driving school, or licenses events, for beginners to kearn of to race (learn about racing lines from simple corners to difficult ones, etc)?

Acura is simply a "luxury" label for Honda the same as Lexus for Toyota and Infiniti for Nissan. Similar to Lincoln for Ford.

Keep in mind that the Acura brand was originally introduced only for the North American market. The original NSX was sold under the HONDA badge everywhere else.

No matter how you look at it, Acura is still Honda (as in Honda is the parent company) and therefore Honda makes the business decisions.

And with the NSX in pCARS 2 I'm hoping the door's now slightly ajar for the HSV-010 GT

xgpo9vb4.jpg

Yes, we have visual indicator arrows and audio Spotter. I am the spotter voice.

No more blindly bumping into your friends.

(Hello Ian)
A spotter is a welcome addition. I'd be interested to find out what kind of phrases you'll be saying (at a later date I'm sure). I use Crewchief for spotting at the mo and he can go a little crazy when cars are around you. Hopefully it won't be mental if you're doing a NASCAR-type race with 40 cars as I might get sick of the constant, 'car left, car right, left, right, left! Right!' whilst driving in the middle of a large pack round an oval :P

A spotter is a welcome addition. I'd be interested to find out what kind of phrases you'll be saying (at a later date I'm sure). I use Crewchief for spotting at the mo and he can go a little crazy when cars are around you. Hopefully it won't be mental if you're doing a NASCAR-type race with 40 cars as I might get sick of the constant, 'car left, car right, left, right, left! Right!' whilst driving in the middle of a large pack round an oval :P

I love the Crew Chief app. It's the thing I probably miss most when swapping from pCARS to Assetto Corsa on the PS4, so it's interesting to hear that pCARS 2 now have a version directly coded in to the game. The persistent problem with spoken dialogue in videogames is one of repetition, so I'm really hoping The_American has recorded a dozen different ways of saying exactly the same thing to keep the dialogue feeling fresh and spontaneous. It'll also be interesting to see if the pCARS spotter can respond accordingly to spoken queries about fuel, damage, pace etc like Crew Chief does, because that's a superb feature that really helps with immersion.

I love the Crew Chief app. It's the thing I probably miss most when swapping from pCARS to Assetto Corsa on the PS4, so it's interesting to hear that pCARS 2 now have a version directly coded in to the game. The persistent problem with spoken dialogue in videogames is one of repetition, so I'm really hoping The_American has recorded a dozen different ways of saying exactly the same thing to keep the dialogue feeling fresh and spontaneous. It'll also be interesting to see if the pCARS spotter can respond accordingly to spoken queries about fuel, damage, pace etc like Crew Chief does, because that's a superb feature that really helps with immersion.
Also Crewchief offers the amusing 'sweary messages' option which are often very inspirational haha

@IanBell

I'd love you to elaborate on the auditory advances SMS have made since pCARS 1. I was always a fan of your multi-layered audio in the Shift series and was glad when that 'wall of sound' continued in Project CARS, reminding us that cars are made of hundreds of individual components mechanically meshing together under extreme duress.

I've heard that one of the goals in pCARS 2 is to become the new benchmark for sim racing audio, so was wondering what specific departments are being targeted. A few areas jumped out at me after playing Assetto Corsa for the first time in ages recently, namely the raw, throatiness of the engine note in AC, the way different types of tyre squeal can help communicate what grip levels are, how visceral AC's audio is during replays, and finally how important it is to hear the engines and gear changes of the cars around you.

Is it possible to release some WiP in-game audio from pCARS 2, similar to what SimBin put out in 2011 for GTR3?

@IanBell and @The Owl,

Thank you so much for corresponding with the community. It is really fantastic that you are willing to do this for us. It is very much appreciated.

Just had one thing to ask/recommend (For now ;)).

Any chance we could have windshield wipers on the bumper cam view? I only use the bumper came view (At least until I can afford to get VR) and I have always imagined that the screen is the view through the windshield. Therefore it's a little disappointing not have the wipers for it. Takes a little away from the immersion aspect.

I'm assuming that the majority of people who use the bumper view also see it this way. And for the ones who don't, you could always make it an option to choose whether one wants to have them or not.

Thanks again for everything. PC is the racing game I always wanted, but unfortunitly it just never existed until you made it. :)

@IanBell and @The Owl,

Just had one thing to ask/recommend (For now ;)).

Any chance we could have windshield wipers on the bumper cam view? I only use the bumper came view (At least until I can afford to get VR) and I have always imagined that the screen is the view through the windshield. Therefore it's a little disappointing not have the wipers for it. Takes a little away from the immersion aspect.

Hate to sound like abit of a 🤬, I would have thought the name would give it away WINDSCREEN wipers, Not bumper wipers.

I can't see this happening and personally I think it would be abit of a waste of resources, It is a sim afterall and well the only real view to use in a sim for immersion is cockpit view, Just my opinion.

I'll let him do the honours himself (if he wishes to do so) but i can say his role is quite significant...
And if he adds his role to his signature everyone here will know what his role at SMS is with every post.

Latest Posts

Back