Project CARS 2 sign up is open!

• Thread starter DrJustice
  • 411 comments
I call this thread the "How to find out which GTP members do not know how game development works" thread. There are more than I imagined. :lol:
Game development has so many different methods and funding opportunities are you really surprised that everyone doesn't know everything? :lol:

While I think the announcement for this maybe came a little bit too early for some, I think it's fantastic that from my computer I'll be able to play a little part in the development of PCARS 2 and this ongoing "project", even at the bronze level. I don't see what all the complaining is about to be honest.

While I think the announcement for this maybe came a little bit too early for some, I think it's fantastic that from my computer I'll be able to play a little part in the development of PCARS 2 and this ongoing "project", even at the bronze level. I don't see what all the complaining is about to be honest.

Agreed. pCars1 on PC is more than I expected it to be. I give it an 8 /10 and play AC for the other 2. :lol: Also........ I love your avatar....it reminds me of this video I created and posted 7 years ago. Cheers.........

Frankly, I'm as hesitant to back PCARS2 because of the community and the climate of the forums -- on multiple facets -- as I am for any other reason. I'm still crossing my fingers for a Wii U or NX release (not holding my breath), and I'd love to discuss the suggestion of a touge category in addition to rallycross and hillclimb disciplines. However, without a powerful PC to test the game, all I could do is visit the forums, and I'm not sure I'm inclined to pay for the privilege of mingling with infantile anti-Nintendo trolls or arguing with elitist blowhards who will campaign to eliminate touge and its accompaniment of cars as being too "NFS-like".

What amazes me is how SMS was apparently blindsided by the backlash for this. How could they not see it coming? Yes, most of the complaints and criticisms are based upon misinformation and ignorance, but couldn't SMS wait just a bit longer before opening up to the public, maybe after the 2.0 patch people are now pointing to as evidence of SMS's goodwill? If they wanted feedback from day one, there are prior WMD members for that.

They also could have tried harder to make the circumstances excruciatingly clear, like putting "Expected for Retail Release in 2017!" right in the headline. As it is, it's a blunder...but on the other hand, I get the sense that Ian Bell is a practitioner of "any publicity is good publicity."

Frankly, I'm as hesitant to back PCARS2 because of the community and the climate of the forums -- on multiple facets -- as I am for any other reason. I'm still crossing my fingers for a Wii U or NX release (not holding my breath), and I'd love to discuss the suggestion of a touge category in addition to rallycross and hillclimb disciplines. However, without a powerful PC to test the game, all I could do is visit the forums, and I'm not sure I'm inclined to pay for the privilege of mingling with infantile anti-Nintendo trolls or arguing with elitist blowhards who will campaign to eliminate touge and its accompaniment of cars as being too "NFS-like".

What amazes me is how SMS was apparently blindsided by the backlash for this. How could they not see it coming? Yes, most of the complaints and criticisms are based upon misinformation and ignorance, but couldn't SMS wait just a bit longer before opening up to the public, maybe after the 2.0 patch people are now pointing to as evidence of SMS's goodwill? If they wanted feedback from day one, there are prior WMD members for that.

They also could have tried harder to make the circumstances excruciatingly clear, like putting "Expected for Retail Release in 2017!" right in the headline. As it is, it's a blunder...but on the other hand, I get the sense that Ian Bell is a practitioner of "any publicity is good publicity."
There is talk of them opening up the WMD process on Xbone , so maybe a super duper PC will not be a requirement in the future.

And I see what you say about expecting the backlash but it never ceases to amaze me just how horrible the internet can be. It's a sad indictment of the world today.

Frankly, I'm as hesitant to back PCARS2 because of the community and the climate of the forums...
My only hesitancy as well. It is not toxic on level with GT5/6, but it is getting there. These things can certainly be overcome with a good 2.0 Update, assuming is it a legit 2.0 and not 1.5 falsely "named" 2.0. But the timing of it, considering the mixed bag of bugs many console users are experiencing, is mildly puzzling.

....... couldn't SMS wait just a bit longer before opening up to the public, maybe after the 2.0 patch people are now pointing to as evidence of SMS's goodwill? If they wanted feedback from day one, there are prior WMD members for that.

Damned if the do, damned if they don't.

There's no shortage of people wanting to be part of WMD, probably a lot more than the trolls kicking up a storm about the state of this game. PC2 is already in development with over 100 people working on it (many who probably couldn't help with bug fixes even if they were SMS' top priority).

The longer they delay community involvement the less value there is in the continuing with the concept.

Companies usually get around this issue by actually employing their own teams of testers and doing proper market research. I don't think the model has proved very successful given how many huge bugs were still present at launch - bugs which seemingly hadn't even been noticed/logged at the beta testing stage. I say successful of course talking about issues of quality - it was clearly very successful as a marketing tool, and raised a pretty reasonable amount of money.
I don't think there's any doubt that it's been an overwhelming success. The crowd funders were not involved in testing the console versions of the game which is where the overwhelming majority of issues lie. The PC version of the game, which is the one they all worked on, seems to run really well for me with just a couple of minor issues and most or all of the feedback I've heard or read about the pc version is the same. Sales wise it's been a smashing success so far, a pure racing sim without any of the bells and whistles of more popular games like Forza and GT, and manages to sell a million copies in one month.

I don't think that being invested enough in a project to put up sums of money to be involved necessarily means that you're going to be any good at giving feedback. You might have hundreds of ideas, which might be good ideas or might be bad ideas, or you might have no ideas at all. Your feedback might actually be harmful to the end result if you are so emotionally invested that you are literally incapable of having an objective view of the product. In any project environment, quality control should absolutely be a function free of stakeholder involvement, because otherwise quality simply can't be measured objectively. And you would otherwise end up creating a product which may be satisfactory for those stakeholders, but which isn't necessarily a good quality, marketable product able to achieve commercial success.
How can quality control be free of stakeholder involvement, given that every employee is also a stakeholder? In a utopian world SMS would be able to evaluate the potential contributions of all the prospective members and then select only the best and brightest. Short of utopia, money is a great sorting tool for separating the serious from the not so serious, and anyone that would have been willing to contribute a signicant amount of time and energy to the project will not likely shy away from what amounts to pocket change for most working adults in the western world.

The only frame of reference we have for this operating model is PCars itself, and on the evidence of that, the model doesn't work because the end product was of poor quality and didn't deliver on its core objectives.
As above, the port to the consoles is responsible for the majority of issues, something the testers/investors were not involved in. The PC version delivers in spades and the quality is excellent on my end. Yes it's not perfect, there are things I'd like changed, but it's more complete and covers a broader range of cars and tracks than any other sim on the market at launch.

The climate of the WMD forum is very different to that of the public forum, far more 'relaxed' ;)

And in the WMD forum everyone is given a chance to behave with decency and respect, including posting criticism and opposing viewpoints. The people that can't figure out how to behave within that guideline are the ones that usually end up venting elsewhere that their (often quite poorly presented) opinion got them in trouble 'for no reason' or they got booted because 'negative opinions not allowed'...

pCARS also works fine for me on the PC, now that the FFB is useable (T300 works very nicely with stock settings since the latest patch, just raise FFB=100% and drop tyre force down to 35% and you are good to go). It's become my "go to" sim for when I want a quick race with (accelerated) changeable weather conditions.

Going to give this a try once the patch arrives.

Did you reset all your individual car FFB settings before you applied these settings to your global settings, or did you just change your global settings only and all cars felt good?

Cheers.

And in the WMD forum everyone is given a chance to behave with decency and respect, including posting criticism and opposing viewpoints. The people that can't figure out how to behave within that guideline are the ones that usually end up venting elsewhere that their (often quite poorly presented) opinion got them in trouble 'for no reason' or they got booted because 'negative opinions not allowed'...
It doesnt help their public image that they are going so far as to ban people that are liking posts from banned members.

I'm not so sure I'll fund the game, and I'll be extremely cautious the next go around. I really enjoy the game, and it is top notch, but the framerate issue is a big concern for me(my opinion on framerate spans across all consoles, and games.) I really don't even mind that production has already started as that's normal practice, but like many I believe the announcement was too soon, as some still have a sour taste in their mouths.

Last edited:
Going to give this a try once the patch arrives.

Did you reset all your individual car FFB settings before you applied these settings to your global settings, or did you just change your global settings only and all cars felt good?

Cheers.
Before the patch I was using tweaker files, which I removed. I then clicked the button to reset everything to default in the controller screen.

I forgot to mention "deadzone reduction = 0.10" as my other setting on the T300.

At first (compared to something like Assetto Corsa) the FFB feels less lively, but it's just a case of adjusting. As always when trying new FFB there's a period of adjustment when you first notice what is different, then begin to appreciate what the new FFB gives and discover whether or not you are missing any cues and how well you can feel the car.

P.S. 35% tyre force was too much for the Formula B I tried last night, so I had to lower the master FFB setting in the garage for that specific car a bit.

Thanks Skazz, will defo give it a try after installing the new patch which I hope coincides with the release of the new AMD driver!

Thanks again mate!

A non-profit business model unless you contribute $50,000? No thanks.
UK law is a bitch, isn't it?

As above, the port to the consoles is responsible for the majority of issues, something the testers/investors were not involved in.
There's a reason SMS is actively looking to extend beta/preview testing to both consoles. :)

Also, for people doubting to back or not: if you back, do it because you want to join the development process (=actively provide feedback). Don't back if you don't and (maybe) just want the game.

I was originally upset at SMS for announcing a sequel so early but if the game is still 2 years away, and the first one will be supported during the interim, I don't see a real issue

UK law is a bitch, isn't it?

There's a reason SMS is actively looking to extend beta/preview testing to both consoles. :)

Also, for people doubting to back or not: if you back, do it because you want to join the development process (=actively provide feedback). Don't back if you don't and (maybe) just want the game.

Are you talking about vote to game design votes as a development process :odd: I think it more like beta testing and participating in forum. If someone has the time for that. It is good only for those who are big SMS, Pcar fans and are going to get the game regardless.

Are you talking about vote to game design votes as a development process :odd: I think it more like beta testing and participating in forum. If someone has the time for that. It is good only for those who are big SMS, Pcar fans and are going to get the game regardless.
Nah, I was referring to the non-profit process. It's non-profit because it's not legally allowed to. Not without jumping through a lot of hoops anyway.

In my case, and the case of a few people I know, being a part of PCars2 has nothing to do with beta testing or getting the game anyway. I/we just want to be a part of the process, to see what happens behind the scenes and potentially to lobby for changes to make the game more user friendly. Frankly I can't see why anyone who is really into sim racing would not at least have their interest piqued by this opportunity.

Last edited:
I have decided. No more pCars for me. Assetto Corsa is the race sim for me.

Umm, great? I'm curious as to why people feel the need to pop into a thread to tell everyone they're not playing the game that's being discussed. You'll be back...

Will any of you guys be joining/donating to the crowd funding of the new Reiza Studios project?

They require a lot less funding and some cool 'perks' too!

For those that haven't heard...

It's not for their new project, it's to improve GSC. You get access to the new game, but the funding is for GSC. It's an odd setup. I wish they'd just follow SMS and open it up to fund GSC2 (or whatever title) and have the dev forum like that. The perks already look very, ah, familiar anyway...

It's not for their new project, it's to improve GSC. You get access to the new game, but the funding is for GSC. It's an odd setup. I wish they'd just follow SMS and open it up to fund GSC2 (or whatever title) and have the dev forum like that. The perks already look very, ah, familiar anyway...

Ah, I was under the impression that the funding was for improvements and upkeep of GSC and ET, and also a new project/title/sim that they are planning, thanks for clearing that up mate.

A signed poster by Fittipaldi has got to be worth it though!

Will any of you guys be joining/donating to the crowd funding of the new Reiza Studios project?

They require a lot less funding and some cool 'perks' too!

For those that haven't heard...

I will sign up but I'm baffled by the fund raising target. Seems like peanuts to me.

In my case, and the case of a few people I know, being a part of PCars2 has nothing to do with beta testing or getting the game anyway. I/we just want to be a part of the process, to see what happens behind the scenes and potentially to lobby for changes to make the game more user friendly. Frankly I can't see why anyone who is really into sim racing would not at least have their interest piqued by this opportunity.
I am not going to sign up simply because I don't have the time to put into it, but can I ask you kindly (and anyone else here who has signed up) to please make sure they have proper triple monitor support on release ... please, please, please :)

Edit- And anyone who signs up to the new Reiza one as well please.

:cheers:

Umm, great? I'm curious as to why people feel the need to pop into a thread to tell everyone they're not playing the game that's being discussed. You'll be back...

And I'm curious why some people always feel the need to critize the decision other people make and would like to share this decision.

I made a mistake, I wanted to say, no pCars2 for me. I did it with GTR (bought it) and never bought GTR2, NFS Shift, bought it and never bought NFG Shift2. This won't be any different. I won't be back (if you mean by that, that I'm going to get pCars2).

I will sign up but I'm baffled by the fund raising target. Seems like peanuts to me.
They are only asking their users to cover their expenses for one last update to the current game and then they are moving to their next project. Basically just cover office expenses and pay checks for a couple months.
They aren't asking their users for cash so they can turn a profit with it like SMS, just help finishing off a game they have kept updated and have added new content to at no charge. It is two completely different things.

I wont be joining the Reiza crowdfunding either, I think its bad for us gamers all the way around.

Back