Project CARS 2 sign up is open!

• Thread starter DrJustice
  • 411 comments
Here's how it is:

1) Due to PCARS' unique development plan which is dependent on community funding, they HAVE to announce it early in order to have enough money to make the game.

2) Sequels almost always start development before the first game even launches. They've probably been preparing PCARS2 for half a year or more behind the scenes so that they could start development in earnest soon after PCARS1's release.

3) You don't have to buy PCARS2 while it's in early access. Heck, you don't have to buy it at all. Because it's a free world.

So please keep these facts in mind before you complain about how they're milking you dry.

Are you serious? No developer begins work on a new game before the current one has even released. That is the stupidest thing I have ever, in all of my life re—https://www.gtplanet.net/gt6-80-percent-complete-gt7-coming/

Oh, well, look at that.

Here's how it is:

1) Due to PCARS' unique development plan which is dependent on community funding, they HAVE to announce it early in order to have enough money to make the game.

2) Sequels almost always start development before the first game even launches. They've probably been preparing PCARS2 for half a year or more behind the scenes so that they could start development in earnest soon after PCARS1's release.

3) You don't have to buy PCARS2 while it's in early access. Heck, you don't have to buy it at all. Because it's a free world.

So please keep these facts in mind before you complain about how they're milking you dry.

Thanks for the heads-up. Games do really need a lot of planning - and it could take many months, even years, to develop!

Anyways, I have a feeling that pCARS 2 could be powered by DirectX 12, which could utilize low CPU overhead and all those shiny new graphics features...

Thanks for the heads-up. Games do really need a lot of planning - and it could take many months, even years, to develop!

Anyways, I have a feeling that pCARS 2 could be powered by DirectX 12, which could utilize low CPU overhead and all those shiny new graphics features...

You won't have to wait that long for pCARS to use D3D 12 :sly:.

Question which may have already been answered:

If I join and pay and all heck breaks loose and they cancel pCARS 2, am I out the money? Is there any recourse for recouping the money?

Question which may have already been answered:

If I join and pay and all heck breaks loose and they cancel pCARS 2, am I out the money? Is there any recourse for recouping the money?

You can get a refund if you want to leave the project. In the highly unlikely case SMS goes bust, our 'investment' most probaly is lost.

Will pCARS 2 have all the cars from pCARS one in it?

Not automatically, since all licenses will have to be renewed and paid for again. SMS for sure is keen to keep as much assets as possible for the next iteration, but when it comes down to the decision to buy a Ferrari license vs. renew Ariel, Caterham and Mitsubishi, i think i'll vote for red.

:lol: Read this thread, in a few hours, quite a few got banned by Ian, good entertainment to read even if I don't own Pcars.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...T-NOW-on-PC-PS4-and-XB1&p=1007825#post1007825
LOL this thread! :lol: But I understand his frustration, sometimes you just go nuts when people keep asking the same things over and over and this people don't try to be constructive but instead always act like victims and they pretend all is due to them.
This people probably just bought the game for 50 euro and pretend Ian Bell to fix all their issues in half an hour when people like Kaz never ever had interest in running a free forum. Can you imagine that, if he has one?

Me: "Hey Kaz it's time to update your ****** game!!!!11!!1!"
Kaz: "HKS racer 禁止されました"

End of, LOL. :lol:

To those that are saying it's too soon i say this :
would you rather SMS fired all the employees they don't need now or retain their staff and start project cars 2.
From scanning this thread I would assume quite a few people would like to start with Mr. Public Relations, aka condescending Wookie aficionado...

But back on topic...

People claiming SMS chose the crowdfunding route once again solely, because they loved the WMD experience, are a tad naiv, in my opinion.
While I agree that they need to charge for WMD membership in order to weed out all the trolls, it would be an honourable move to offer a Return on Investment.
The way they set it up this time reeks of 'milking the customer', although no one forces the gamers to pay of corse.

LOL this thread! :lol: But I understand his frustration, sometimes you just go nuts when people keep asking the same things over and over and this people don't try to be constructive but instead always act like victims and they pretend all is due to them.
This people probably just bought the game for 50 euro and pretend Ian Bell to fix all their issues in half an hour when people like Kaz never ever had interest in running a free forum. Can you imagine that, if he has one?
It's understandable that he gets annoyed by posters from time to time, anyone would, but from someone in his position one would expect more professionalism. Acting like a condescending child is never ever appropiate for the head of any company, especially when communicating with customers.
:lol: That's funny.

IMO pCARS 2 should be a PC exclusive game. Even though I enjoyed having a taste of pCARS I found it to be very broken and too "heavy" for a console such as the Xbone. Two days ago I gave it another shot, it was Cadwell Park and it was great, I got all happy again. Today I tried Azure circuit and it was awful again. Frame rate was weird and off putting, graphics didn't look good.

I understand that it is a great game but you need a beefy PC. If it doesn't perform well on the hardware you have then you just end up with a bitter taste in your mouth. Especially since they have a small team I'd rather them pull all their strength into a single version (PC one) and make it the greatest game on earth. Somehow even if it seems stupid, having a sub par version on a console (I have no idea how the PS4 performs) damages the perception and reputation of the quality of the IP as a whole.

Other than a little bit of screen tear once in a while PCARS runs great on my PS4. Not sure if that'll be the case for PARS 2 though. You might be right about it being PC only, but I don't think it could survive financially if it was just available on the PC. Could be wrong though...

I think waiting an entire year to start development, would put the game back an entire year. Makes no sense to me. It has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with sticking to the concept.

I'm not saying delay development, but delay the crowdfunding. Surely they still have money from PCARS1 sales to last them a year of development? Then next year announce crowdfunding to continue development further. Which is good because we get a more tangible alpha to play with as well.

I'm not a developer or expert financial analyst, but if PCARS1 sold as well as SMS said, then surely they can afford to be independent by now? Other small developers like Milestone and Codemasters manage to release games semi annually without any form of crowdfunding, and their games sell 1 million copies max (way less for Codies' recent games even). I think WMD and the whole open development concept is a good idea, but having a $10,000 tier funding for a non-startup game is a bit...odd.

Again I'm no expert, but SMS is the only developer that does this model (Kickstarter and Early Access is slightly different IMO). If it doesn't work out the first time, I'm suspicious it won't work well the second time either. Especially with the game being more complicated.

The thing that annoys me the most, is SMS used to make some awesome racing games alongside SimBin. And those games had awesome support and no way near as many issues. It is not as though SMS do not know what they are doing with game development, they just seem to be walking on a very fine tightrope at this particular moment in time. All I am saying is, they should have held off on initiating this new crowdfunding phase until the game breaking bugs in Pcars1 where fixed.

If I'm correct SimBin split into SMS and Sector 3. It's almost like Jekyll and Hyde really. Sector 3 is doing quite well with RRRE. Although it's riddled with microtransactions as well, at least it's a good sim and stable. SMS seems to release nothing but troubled games everytime: Shift, Shift 2, Test Drive Ferrari and now PCARS. I think it's a case of being too ambitious with the amount of manpower that they have. I'd take a smaller but stabler game than an overachieving but unfinished game anyday.

Other than a little bit of screen tear once in a while PCARS runs great on my PS4. Not sure if that'll be the case for PARS 2 though. You might be right about it being PC only, but I don't think it could survive financially if it was just available on the PC. Could be wrong though...

Only a bit of tear? You were lucky , my xbone version was a bug fest. It got a lot better but it still has some very ugly problems.

As far as being financially viable I would say just just look at Iracing and the rest that are doing quite well. Trying to get every buck you can while sacrificing quality isn't the best approach in the long run. Maybe they should stay away from consoles until a generation comes with some serious hardware that can handle the game in all its glory.

I wouldn't buy pCARS 2 for xbox considering my experience with pCARs 1. Feels like a sampler, l"have a taste of what you could have on a beefy pc".

It's understandable that he gets annoyed by posters from time to time, anyone would, but from someone in his position one would expect more professionalism. Acting like a condescending child is never ever appropiate for the head of any company, especially when communicating with customers.

:lol: That's funny.

So you get this 1000+ times day but 10x more rude and ofensive ? God help you.

Maybe they should just skip v2 and go straight to v3. Hell, just start v4 now, and then maybe start a new v5 before they release v2, v3, and v4. It'll save time. I mean, who needs bug fixes and more cars and tracks and improved game-play in the version you just paid for last week? "Give me more money now for the version that will be released in 2018".. (and abandon the steaming pile of a a buggy mess you just released yesterday.) Sounds like a plan. :-/

End of, LOL. :lol:

Has Slightly Meme Studios even fixed anything yet though?

I'm not saying delay development, but delay the crowdfunding. Surely they still have money from PCARS1 sales to last them a year of development? Then next year announce crowdfunding to continue development further. Which is good because we get a more tangible alpha to play with as well.

I'm not a developer or expert financial analyst, but if PCARS1 sold as well as SMS said, then surely they can afford to be independent by now? Other small developers like Milestone and Codemasters manage to release games semi annually without any form of crowdfunding, and their games sell 1 million copies max (way less for Codies' recent games even). I think WMD and the whole open development concept is a good idea, but having a $10,000 tier funding for a non-startup game is a bit...odd.

Again I'm no expert, but SMS is the only developer that does this model (Kickstarter and Early Access is slightly different IMO). If it doesn't work out the first time, I'm suspicious it won't work well the second time either. Especially with the game being more complicated.
Again though, you're making it about the money, which I don't think has anything to do with it. The crowdfunding is there because that's how they want to develop the game for their own reasons. The money is taken from crowfunding for PCars2, I suspect not because they need it, but because it's a convenient way to separate out the trolls and the less serious contributors. Waiting a year to crowd fund just isn't in the plans.

Again though, you're making it about the money, which I don't think has anything to do with it. The crowdfunding is there because that's how they want to develop the game for their own reasons. The money is taken from crowfunding for PCars2, I suspect not because they need it, but because it's a convenient way to separate out the trolls and the less serious contributors. Waiting a year to crowd fund just isn't in the plans.

Ok, fair enough. But this is the internet we're talking about. Even with the money barrier there will always be trolls. And conversely there will be people who genuinely want to contribute, but don't have the money. It kinda becomes a double edged sword. But if they want to build an identity for PCARS as the world's only crowdfunded and crowd developed sim, it's their choice. I'll be looking forward to see if history repeat itself ;)

Just my take on this - yeah i appreciate the developers start work on a sequal straight away,but imo this announcement is way too early. Especially when there is a lot to sort out in the first one,still some major glitches like audio completely missing. It does seem like a money grabbing scheme,while the franchise is 'hot'. And why cant these new features be DLC in the current PCars? As someone mentioned i thought it would turn into a sandbox racing game,and just keep improving and adding.

Im enjoying PCars immensely, i just wish all the talk would be to add to and improve this one that came out last month.

I'm not a developer or expert financial analyst, but if PCARS1 sold as well as SMS said, then surely they can afford to be independent by now?
No, royalties only start paying 3 months after release, so right at this moment PCARS1 made SMS nothing, and won't until another month and a half or so.

Just my take on this - yeah i appreciate the developers start work on a sequal straight away,but imo this announcement is way too early. Especially when there is a lot to sort out in the first one,still some major glitches like audio completely missing. It does seem like a money grabbing scheme,while the franchise is 'hot'. And why cant these new features be DLC in the current PCars? As someone mentioned i thought it would turn into a sandbox racing game,and just keep improving and adding.

Im enjoying PCars immensely, i just wish all the talk would be to add to and improve this one that came out last month.
Yeah I agree, what they should really be doing is having a dedicated team of say, 40 people, concentrating on the current game, squashing bugs and working on new content, and I reckon some of it should even be free. That would be the right thing to do...

Anybody with enough sense to pop over to the official forums click on SMS Posts at the top and look at all the interaction between the devs and their community as they actively try to help people solve their problems. For the rest, I'm not sure there is anything we can do to help those people ;)

So anybody who reads what SMS says will believe what they say? Seems legit...

I'm sure if they fix the game people will have faith in their ability to support it. I have faith they will do as they say, but what I'm seeing everywhere, including the official forums, is the majority of people are losing/have lost faith in SMS's ability to fix the first game, so it's those people I refer to when I say a lot of people probably won't trust them until they do fix the first game. That's why I would have held off until the big fixes come before announcing the sequel if it was me.

So anybody who reads what SMS says will believe what they say? Seems legit...

I'm sure if they fix the game people will have faith in their ability to support it. I have faith they will do as they say, but what I'm seeing everywhere, including the official forums, is the majority of people are losing/have lost faith in SMS's ability to fix the first game, so it's those people I refer to when I say a lot of people probably won't trust them until they do fix the first game. That's why I would have held off until the big fixes come before announcing the sequel if it was me.

It's easy to throw around comments like that. Yet that just doesn't reflect the actual situation.

the majority of people

It is not, more like a mere 10-15 trolls always rejoining under a new nickname. It has come so far that Ian made the decision to phase out direct communication from the SMS Staff Members and leave the place as a moderated community support forum. As always, the vast majority of players has nothing to complain and is enjoying the game as intended, in silence.

Faith is a belief you have nothing substantial to base it on, that certainly is not the case here when i look at the first patches SMS has already released.

Back