Project CARS 2's Race Engineer Makes Tuning More User-Friendly

It's definitely a good idea, and looks like it would be pretty useful in walking someone through the the basics of how adjusting certain parts of the car will affect what it does... and that making small adjustments, one at a time, is more useful than flinging all the sliders around all at once. That part is something a lot of people just don't seem to grasp, and is usually why they give up frustrated.

Nice option to take your first marks, would be good to have a procedure about setting parameters order to follow also.
I ve never heard somebody complaining that he is stopping too quickly . :lol:

Yeah I think it needs to be a bit better worded, for sure - but it's an awesome edition, I think!

I remember racing in a '65 Mustang Fastback and swapping the rear drums out for disc brakes. The rears kept locking up and even after several adjustments, the car was understeering too much. We ended up going back to drums and the car began behaving way better.

Perhaps that's what they were going for - being able then to adjust bias and pressure. I'll happily stick to the full tuning menu, but sill a great feature!

I'm glad this feature got a spotlight. SMS should use this feature as a selling point.

It's definitely one of those things you realize is so simple, it's surprising it isn't everywhere.

In reality, I suppose it's not too far removed from most game's basic explanations of what settings do. I know GT and FM both will tell you what camber does, and what effects high or low values cause. But the difference here is making it so much more approachable for folks that don't want to fiddle with the numbers. Because let's face it, numbers are daunting.

I still run off what limited knowledge I learned in the PS2 GT era. Something like this means I'm far, far more likely to dive into tuning my car in PCARS2, and even better, it'll be to my tastes, not what I think it needs to be. 👍

This is a welcomed surprise. I don't know how to tune properly, but with this feature I could learn some new things.

Same for me, very much looking forward to this! Although at some point I will probably know al the answers to the questions myself, don't really need the race engineer anymore and .... hey, I'm now a basic tuner myself! ;)

I also realize it's probably just the basics though, I doubt the race engineer would cover ALL the tuning settings. But hey, if I will learn to fiddle with the basic ones and be satisfied with that then it's already a good start.

Maybe this means Endurance races, you can stop too quickly and brakepads not like this idea ;)

Yes, i like this idea, not need to drive 1000 miles after your car is "doog for driving" :)

Gran Turismo still has the easiest tune up screens. You can use tune A B or C. Yoy don't have to worry if it's saved for a certain track. You want to de-tune the car...it's easy peasy.
i1QkZZ0xMHiNob.jpg

Gran Turismo still has the easiest tune up screens. You can use tune A B or C. Yoy don't have to worry if it's saved for a certain track. You want to de-tune the car...it's easy peasy.
i1QkZZ0xMHiNob.jpg
PC1 lets you save a set up at every track.

I love this feature. Real V8 Supercars(and all series) have a basic set up at tracks from knowledge of the previous year. With LT3.0, this will obviously change each time the same track is visited. Just like real life. One of many amazing features.

Edit: This is what I'm talking about. It is exactly what gets me excited about this game. Just read this after posting:
A typically honest Courtney spoke openly about where he believes the team’s Commodores are deficient and why it has gone backwards following the introduction of a new construction Dunlop control tyre this season.

“The whole time loss for us is from the apex to the exit of the corner,” explained Courtney.

“It’s good on the brake, I can start to get the rotation, but when you get to the mid-point of the corner and you want the car to rotate that last bit to crack the throttle, it won’t set and roll onto the rear corner properly.

the mid-point of the corner and you want the car to rotate that last bit to crack the throttle, it won’t set and roll onto the rear corner properly.

“Initially it has a push and that push will snap and turn into a flat slide. You have to hesitate on the throttle and then you lose out all the way down the straight.

“Really the six years I’ve been here that’s been the trouble with our car and the tyre change has only magnified the problem.

“With this tyre we’re generating more speed in the middle phase of the corner, where you’re laterally loading it and then getting on the throttle.

“That’s where the extra lap time is coming from. It’s where we were suffering previously and I think it’s why this year it’s been such a big step (backwards).”

Last edited:
What if you happen to race at more than 3 tracks though?
A notebook and a pencil are a tuner's best friends. :sly:

In fact that's how I learned the concepts of basic tuning back in the GT2 days, by writing out the car setup on paper, then noting what changes I made and how they affected my lap times. The knowledge of how adjusting this causes the car to do that just seemed to "stick" better when I took the time to scribble it all out like that.

Yeah it sounds funny at first. :) But I think they mean with stopping too quickly that you start skidding under braking. So the answer behind that one is probably to reduce the braking power.

i1QkZZ0xMHiNob.jpg
GT6 was my first game where I started to play a bit with tuning. I have to admit those were fun times and I also found the user interface very slick and nice looking!

I have a problem, I have no clue about this stuff..I adjust my driving style to the car and make do with default sets...

Even in RL I did a Ginetta taster in April, on my second run the instructor asked if I noticed any difference, I said "yeah it feels more compliant and stable, did you soften it up?" ... "no I asked them to make it stiffer" not a clue even with the race engineer...

I have a problem, I have no clue about this stuff..I adjust my driving style to the car and make do with default sets...

Even in RL I did a Ginetta taster in April, on my second run the instructor asked if I noticed any difference, I said "yeah it feels more compliant and stable, did you soften it up?" ... "no I asked them to make it stiffer" not a clue even with the race engineer...
I did that with PC1. I was happy enough to just drive the cars and enjoy the game.

These are just options. If you're having fun, that's all that matters.

This is an interesting feature and it definitely is game seller for me. I was thinking about possibly getting this and GT Sport . But now i will definitely get both of them

To use it properly you first have to understand what your car is making wrong. There are questions like "does it oversteer on corner entry, mid corner or corner exit". Some people may already struggle to give this feedback :-D

To use it properly you first have to understand what your car is making wrong. There are questions like "does it oversteer on corner entry, mid corner or corner exit". Some people may already struggle to give this feedback :-D
Correct. But it's a damn lot easier than changing x because you think it might help only to realise it makes it worse because you did the wrong thing.

Back