Project CARS 3 Developer Blog Explains New Tire Physics, Confirms Pit Stops Are History

This is beyond ridiculous. I'd say it's scandalous.

Why not make these optional? Why force everyone to embarce the arcadey aspect of the game? Just because some people can't handle tire wear and fuel usage doesn't mean you have to turn them off for everyone, does it? That's like forcing everyone to play with TC, ABS and all those assists on against amateur AI.

While you're at it, why not make all the cars ghost so you can "focus on pure driving instead of having to worry about overtaking and collision"? This would be like a football game where the players have unlimited stamina and can't ge injured or an RPG where the main character learns all available skills and has the best equipments right from the beginning... Casual players would still enjoy them of course but that would piss off a lot of people

Even GTS, a not-so-sim sim, has tire wear and fuel usage...

Oh, those pit-stops and tactics, I hate them! Give me more PuRe RaCiNg ExPeRiEnCe! What next, power ups?

Next: demolition derbies on the Nordschleife.

So the reassurance from earlier in the month that the game would not be less sim-like was all for naught?

I mean, the reason the franchise has actually been able to stand out at this point is just how customizable the sim experience is, especially compared to other console racers.

Whether this is a design choice from the game director or a decision from Codemasters executives, here's the thing they don't understand; players who want a sim experience like options. Even if not everyone cares about pit stops and tyre/fuel management, a lot of us do. But the players who aren't interested in those things sure as **** don't care about the intricacies of their 'tyre model'. The players who are interested in the tyre model are most likely hardcore enthusiasts who like to play with tyre wear/fuel consumption.

Who is this game even for? I can't fault anyone who does end up enjoying it, and I am in no way a snobby sim purist, but the reason the franchise was so successful was because it offered a hugely customizable sim experience. How can this game possibly stand out when it's clear that those options are no longer the focus?

I think the backlash wouldn't be as bad if this was marketed as a spinoff or more of an arcade-style racer.

Instead... this is supposed to be a sequel and a sim?

Well said.

I'm still interested in the game but this is the product of two companies converging.

This is the natural consequence of conflicting ideologies coming together to create a game.

Even though I still plan to get this game, this decision is rather....something. And it's funny. This game won't have pit stops and tire wear and all that, whereas Forza (a franchise many like to 'claim' as "arcade") features pit stops (not animated but it's still there), tire wear and more.

So it's surprising to see PC3 will do away with such features for this title. Why not just have an option to toggle it on/off? Weird decision.

Holy crap so if you do a race with slicks, and it starts raining at any point you can't change to wets?
I assume there will be no need. Based on what was said, it sounds like tires will fall under performance tiers that may determine performance in all conditions, like in so many other games. They'll no doubt impact the performance rating of your car, which will then affect its eligibility in events or lobbies, like in GT/Forza, The Crew 2, Wreckfest, etc.

I think the backlash wouldn't be as bad if this was marketed as a spinoff or more of an arcade-style racer.

Instead... this is supposed to be a sequel and a sim?
But it isn't an arcade-style game by any stretch of the imagination, assuming the Corvette drift video isn't deceptive and it's much the same as PCARS2 in all other areas of its simulation.

It's just a sim that does not have tire wear, tire temperature (beyond a limited scope), fuel consumption, or pitstops -- which is very very strange for a modern sim that already had these things in the previous game, but these limitations are not unique in the history of sims.

The issue is this is a problem that has been solved 2 ****ING DECADES ago!

Do you want to have a close 10 lap race without pitstops? Just give the car enough fuel and tires to go 10 laps. If someone wants to pit then let them pit, it's their loss. Gran Turismo ONE figured this out too. You could just make the pit-stop procedure streamlined with locked-in options or just disable fuel/tire wear for the longer races but instead, they just have to go for the nuclear option like a bunch of morons. I swear now, I got into project cars BECAUSE of the endurance racing. I loved the idea of jumping in an LMP2 car and getting the full single-player endurance experience of starting a race in the afternoon and finishing as the sky turns black. Instead, now we're just going to get the 24 minutes (or god forbid the 10 minutes) of Le Mans because any longer would possibly bore little Jimmy.

**** this. I live for endurance racing and I couldn't give two ***** about "QUICKLY OVERTAKE EVERYONE IN 3 LAPS OF BRAZILIAN STREETS" I want the racing that makes me exhausted and relieved like a 4-hour edging session.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they first showed the "arcadey" trailers, I beleived they had decided to add a kind of accesibility layer over a complex sim, so that it would reach a broader audience. If you could turn those features off and still get the complex sim, it could maybe work for both audiences. Sounded ambitious but not impossible.

This revelations show they have just decided to go only for the arcade audience, just using their sim physics in the background. Considering that even "simcades" have pitstops, tyre wear, etc. it seems that they have decided to position PC3 as an attempt of a more-successful GRID-like game. I have PC2, but I'm not interested in this one.

I always thought sim racing was going to expand in the next gen on console but now it really does feel like it's dead.

Assetto Corsa is end of life.
Project Cars 2 is end of life.
Kunos have no plans for ACC.
Project Cars is no longer a sim series.
GT7 is likely years away (simcade at best anyway).
None of the other sim series like iRacing, rFactor, Auto Mobilista etc have any console plans we are aware of.

So that's it? Will the last person here shut off the lights. Lol.

Do you want to have a close 10 lap race without pitstops? Just give the car enough fuel and tires to go 10 laps.
Sorry but this doesn't apply to every car if you do a 10 lap race around monza classic in lets say a p1 gtr even at 72L which is the max it takes it'll only last 8 laps before you run out of gas.

One of the best things in our 90 minute league races was watching the weather forecast before race day to work out your strategy.
When it did start raining during the race, the decision to 'stay out just 1 more lap' or pit for the rain tyres to try get an advantage won or lost many races.
It's a shame that's gone.
I can't see many leagues staying on PCars 3.

Sorry but this doesn't apply to every car if you do a 10 lap race around monza classic in lets say a p1 gtr even at 72L which is the max it takes it'll only last 8 laps before you run out of gas.

When I refer to a 10 lap race, I'm talking about the 20 minute kind of sprint races around Silverstone or Fuji. I wasn't being super specific about that sort of example.

Do you want to have a close 10 lap race without pitstops? Just give the car enough fuel and tires to go 10 laps. If someone wants to pit then let them pit, it's their loss. Gran Turismo ONE figured this out too. You could just make the pit-stop procedure streamlined with locked-in options or just disable fuel/tire wear for the longer races but instead, they just have to go for the nuclear option like a bunch of morons. I swear now, I got into project cars BECAUSE of the endurance racing. I loved the idea of jumping in an LMP2 car and getting the full single-player endurance experience of starting a race in the afternoon and finishing as the sky turns black. Instead, now we're just going to get the 24 minutes (or god forbid the 10 minutes) of Le Mans because any longer would possibly bore little Jimmy.

**** this. I live for endurance racing and I couldn't give two ***** about "QUICKLY OVERTAKE EVERYONE IN 3 LAPS OF BRAZILIAN STREETS" I want the racing that makes me exhausted and relieved like a 4-hour edging session.

I quote "Exhausted and relieved like a 4hr edging session "

That made me spit my coffee out ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought PC2 solely for the simulation of ALL aspects of racing, including the consequences of being negligent to the care that goes to your car on races of any given length...Its the whole reason why I love doing endurance races.

With no pit stops then there's no point of doing endurance races.

And as such, there's no point for me to buy the next game as it wont deliver what I want them to deliver.

BTW this is a very stupid decision based on a incredibly flawed argument.

Tire wear and pitstops ARE racing, because in real life THERE IS NO WAY you can race without putting wear into your tires and wasting your fuel.
If anything, removing both aspects of your racing game is what makes your game NOT be about racing, and just being about who is faster.

I mean, even ****ing Grand Theft Auto Online has tire wear for F1 races now and that game is arcade and not serious as it can be, there's no valid excuse or reason for them for taking this decision.

Last edited:
I don't mind it, because what gets my attention is a good list of cars and courses. But I think it's an odd choice for the series. I mean, pCARS was already one of the most accessible simulations in the market. They didn't need to go this much accessible :lol:

Back