Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Whoa,whoa,whoa. Should we all go look at a moderator on another forum first? Ian and SMS promised something they didn't deliver. My opinion.

Good to see your back and apologized. Now do you think that Ian is going to come back on here after many of us backed him when PCars 2 was getting bashed? Just saying,you should go look at the old PCars 2 forum.

I don't need to look at the forum to know what happened, if you would go look you'll see that i used the "now you suddenly all think pCARS2 was good" argument very often.
I agree that the devs in general were not treated right, but i don't see how that is my fault?

As for coming over here, i wouldn't know, some of the comments are pretty out there. And yes, on the pCARS forum as well...

Not sure if there is a dead zone setting in the wheel calibration options but you can setup a controller in those...
I can "change" wheel settings without having a wheel connected but unfortunately doesn't do anything with controller settings,

Hopefully they can implement a casual setting as current and then a pro setting where we can "fiddle"

For now I have to turn in early essentially to compensate for the deadzone but it's not ideal

I can "change" wheel settings without having a wheel connected but unfortunately doesn't do anything with controller settings,

Hopefully they can implement a casual setting as current and then a pro setting where we can "fiddle"

For now I have to turn in early essentially to compensate for the deadzone but it's not ideal

Oh really ?
I thought those settings actually changed things on controller as well?
Very strange...

dc1
For those playing on a controller, this game is awesome. I can see why the wheel racers would rather play pc2. I originally passed on this game based on reviews. Only after being thoroughly disappointed in dirt 5, I gave it a try. I hope more controller users give it shot. Most fun I’ve had driving since the Lewis Hamilton time trials on gt sport.
That's an interesting topic. I had a problem with a pad from start on Xbox, so I created a thread on official forum but nobody helped.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?69018-Controller-input-lag

I played with the controls all the time and tried everything but it was never good. I have a theory which works at least for me. If you can't steer on a pad and like strong helpers like Grid 2019, GTS, F1 have, you could love it because it steers very much for you and you don't control the game much.

But if you like games like AC1, PC2, partly FM7, you could have same troubles as me. You won't be able to play it because of lag.

That's an interesting topic. I had a problem with a pad from start on Xbox, so I created a thread on official forum but nobody helped.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?69018-Controller-input-lag

I played with the controls all the time and tried everything but it was never good. I have a theory which works at least for me. If you can't steer on a pad and like strong helpers like Grid 2019, GTS, F1 have, you could love it because it steers very much for you and you don't control the game much.

But if you like games like AC1, PC2, partly FM7, you could have same troubles as me. You won't be able to play it because of lag.

Did you turn off all the driving aids? I love pc2, gt sport, and dirt rally 2.0, but only without the driving aids. The only one I turn on sometime is a low anti lock brake.

dc1
Did you turn off all the driving aids? I love pc2, gt sport, and dirt rally 2.0, but only without the driving aids. The only one I turn on sometime is a low anti lock brake.
Sure. The problem with GTS and other games is you can't disable everything. You can disable almost everything in FM and I hope everything in AC1, ACC, PC2. So if you want interesting steering on a pad you need to play just few games. But I like other assisted games too but it must be playable and only PC3 is not for me.

I don't need to look at the forum to know what happened, if you would go look you'll see that i used the "now you suddenly all think pCARS2 was good" argument very often.
I agree that the devs in general were not treated right, but i don't see how that is my fault?

As for coming over here, i wouldn't know, some of the comments are pretty out there. And yes, on the pCARS forum as well...
Ok,so we are all lemmings. I won't call someone a liar. You cannot,I will repeat cannot have a discussion on the "other" forum without some "Mods" banning or outright removing comments. That's why this forum is here.

I don't need to look at the forum to know what happened

The Project CARS journey (PCARS1, not 2) started right here on GTP when Ian announced his 'cunning plan' in October 2011 in the wake of Shift 2 Unleashed and the break-up with EA. Many of us (including yours truly) backed him and SMS straight away because of his interactions on here regarding Shift 2 Unleashed. We were original WMD backers and an integral part of the development cycle. Many features you see today in PC1, 2 and 3 are there because of those people. It was a very tight community, with lots of discussion and a lot of awesome and very smart people at the table. On top of that, several here made a good return of investment on PC1 too (PC1 was funded for a large part through the community).

So we were there for the whole ride, not just the second or third part. There was always open discussion on here about the good AND the bad parts of the series. We've seen the changes (or rather: regression) on SMS/Ians side. Somewhere in the past five years something broke, and it can only be fixed by looking it in the eye. But we will not be silent about it.

So yeah, the forums history and the backing of the project by a lot of forum members here is an integral part of PCARS history, years before PCARS2 was even a thing. One of the reasons Ian visited here more often than other forums was because of its open nature compared to toxic trash sites like RD. And again, something changed.

@Scaff : I searched @IanBell 's posting history and the 2011 Shift 2 stuff is there, but not the PC1 stuff? There's a sudden jump from 2011 to 2017, assuming because of the forum moves over the years? Wanted to link it here, but can't.

Last edited:
The Project CARS journey (PCARS1, not 2) started right here on GTP when Ian announced his 'cunning plan' in October 2011 in the wake of Shift 2 Unleashed and the break-up with EA. Many of us (including yours truly) backed him and SMS straight away because of his interactions on here regarding Shift 2 Unleashed. We were original WMD backers and an integral part of the development cycle. Many features you see today in PC1, 2 and 3 are there because of those people. It was a very tight community, with lots of discussion and a lot of awesome and very smart people at the table. On top of that, several here made a good return of investment on PC1 too (PC1 was funded for a large part through the community).

So we were there for the whole ride, not just the second or third part. There was always open discussion on here about the good AND the bad parts of the series. We've seen the changes (or rather: regression) on SMS/Ians side. Somewhere in the past five years something broke, and it can only be fixed by looking it in the eye. But we will not be silent about it.

So yeah, the forums history and the backing of the project by a lot of forum members here is an integral part of PCARS history, years before PCARS2 was even a thing. One of the reasons Ian visited here more often than other forums was because of its open nature compared to toxic trash sites like RD. And again, something changed.

@Scaff : I searched @IanBell 's posting history and the 2011 Shift 2 stuff is there, but not the PC1 stuff? There's a sudden jump from 2011 to 2017, assuming because of the forum moves over the years? Wanted to link it here, but can't.
I’m not sure why the sudden jump happened, but platform moves are the most likely reason. I would imagine @Jordan would be the only one who could answer that.

I have a reverence for PC2. That's no secret. But, I only came in to this picture at the tail end of 2017. So, my perspective is from PC2 and forward.

I appreciate and respect your post immensely because it speaks to the long history of this community and Ian Bell. It was good for me to learn this.

My hope is that Ian himself and you original guys come together and work your magic again. From my perspective, it seems you need each other to make PC4 a triumph. If that happens, we all win.

I would love to be part of that collaboration but I'm happy to take a back seat to those of you who started all this. After all, you brought me PC2 and for that I will always be thankful.

Please, @IanBell , please reach out to this community and let them help you make PC4 a triumph.

This may require that all the hostile things said about @IanBell or @Konan be a thing of the past. It's not productive even if some of them are true.

As my father always used to say: "Cooler heads will always prevail"

I bet it is safe to say that the one thing we can all agree on is that we want a fantastic racing title!

Then let's get to it

Last edited:
The more time goes, the more I cant help to think that it seems that Ian creates PCars 3 out of spite for overtly critical Sim Racing "Fans".

Still sucks that Ian has to ruin a franchise for entire fanbase just to make his point, though.

The more time goes, the more I cant help to think that it seems that Ian creates PCars 3 out of spite for overtly critical Sim Racing "Fans".

Still sucks that Ian has to ruin a franchise for entire fanbase just to make his point, though.

That sounds a little far-fetched. By ruining that franchise he risks ruining the company. Why would anyone want to do that?

Here's a sign that it's Christmas, a time of peace and goodwill between all.
Screenshot_2020-12-20-16-27-13-406.jpeg
:)

That sounds a little far-fetched. By ruining that franchise he risks ruining the company. Why would anyone want to do that?
SMS is already acquired recently by Codemasters, and the bigger fish EA will also acquire Codemasters in no time. So it isn't really far fetched as, either way or another, it'll still be either backed up or being absorbed by that bigger fish anyways.

And the main problem is PC2 works great on consoles. PC3 was complete disaster and it's still not OK. Something very wrong must happened there.

What company. EA? It's hard to ruin something already in a dumpster fire that he lit a match to start. :gtpflag:

Last edited:
You all seem to forget that pCARS3 was made independently and published by BN. CM or EA weren't in the picture yet.
So it was still very much his company to destroy...

Last edited:
The sad thing is PC2 was OK and with one or two years of polishing you could have the best racing game ever. Maybe not the best simulator but racing game for sure because competition is not big now. And then we got PC3.

I believe PC3 fell short. I believe the promise of "all the sim you can get (or something close to that)" fell VERY short.

But, there's no way I believe Ian was sending a message. I may be wrong but I believe he was trying to broaden the base of potential customers by attempting to produce something more accessible to newcomers and those who may not be so hard core, akin to GTS or Forza.

I believe PC3 fell short. I believe the promise of "all the sim you can get (or something close to that)" fell VERY short.

But, there's no way I believe Ian was sending a message. I may be wrong but I believe he was trying to broaden the base of potential customers by attempting to produce something more accessible to newcomers and those who may not be so hard core, akin to GTS or Forza.

The major issue that emerged was the alienation of the core base.

I just hope that @IanBell takes a "Leaf" (excuse the unintended pun) out of Sean Murray from Hello Games book, and realises that producing a game that was way below expectations from the fan base and what was promised, can be turned around and developed into all that was promised and more.
What Hello Games did with No Mans Sky is a lesson to a lot of dev companies about how to invest in a game and create a great following.

Sean Murray was the most hated man in 2016, and now he is actually revered and lauded as an inspiration to Games Developers around the world!

So if @IanBell wants to turn things around then he needs to take action and steer the ship in this direction or risk completely losing what's left of his credibility.

Just my Humble opinion;)

Basically nothing that was lost between PCARS2 and PCARS3 had to go in order to produce something with broader appeal. The first two games were already pitched as being accessible thanks to player options -- the diversity of options we now lack.

I still want to like and enjoy this game -- it still ticks boxes that PCARS2 doesn't, and was easier to settle into the last time I played it -- but its genesis will always be stupefying. It sure is different from the relative predictability over at Polyphony, Turn 10, or in-house at Codemasters.

I think I've learned my lesson in expecting something out of the next PCARS game just because it's in the last. I won't expect upgrades or a livery editor out of PCARS4 just because they're in PCARS3, for example. Blank slate every time, except for mostly the same selection of cars and tracks, I guess. :boggled:

Latest Posts

Back