Project CARS 3: General Discussion Thread - Out August 28th, 2020 on XB1/PS4/PC

• Thread starter jake2013guy
  • 5,132 comments
Looks like they've rendered the trees differently from pCARS2, which will hopefully eliminate the horrid flickering and jaggies we had. The first game looked better in this regard.
Yep, that’s what I noticed too. The game to me looks similar to pCARS 2. Maybe a little bit softer, which some may not like, but not much different. Definitely not like a mobile game. It may not look better, that is true, but the consoles are also still the same and the game had trouble keeping a constant 60 FPS before, so it’s not surprising it is not an upgrade.

@Scaff Has pre load started for you since deluxe edition buyers just have to more 2 till they can play it and your the reviewer of the physics i'm personally waiting on the most to hear from. :D

While i haven't play the game yet and wont till the 28 i have driven the gtr enough in 2 to tell the physics of that gtr video posted a few pages back look off compare to 2 but will see 5 days from now.
Yep, all downloaded and ready to go.

0CF8A25E-A12E-4B59-8DE2-AB0CE498C542.jpeg

Looks like they've rendered the trees differently from pCARS2, which will hopefully eliminate the horrid flickering and jaggies we had. The first game looked better in this regard.

Just curious what platform you are on? There was a period on PC where the trees flickered but they did fix it with the next patch. And can you really see jaggies on the trees?

Im so sorry... but i have no clue how anyone in the PCars community can defend this game at all.... the whole thing is a $60 cheap mobile game esque cashgrab that has no reason whatsoever to be considered an actual sequel to the past 2 games.

If they wanted to really make a wannabe Horizon/Shift title... just classify it as a damn spinoff instead of an ACTUAL sequel.

The marketing... the gameplay... the "All the sim you could ever need" claims... everything about this game has been an absolute disaster and SMS should seriously take a good look at themselves if they want to gain back the trust of the racing game community with their first next gen game.

Yep, all downloaded and ready to go.

View attachment 951579

Oh. I really thought you were going to wait for a while. I guess you could not resist blasting through the foam blocks for extra XPs.:) I only have a few games, the Grid series except for 2019, Asetto Corsa, PCars 1&2 and another one. I don't remember having seen that before. The reviewer mentioned Drive Club so maybe it came from there. He also mentioned Drive Club at least 5 times, Sim Cade around 7 times and looks like a mobile game. Thanked Codies for his shirt and other gear. I don't understand why Jimmy's review gets so much negativity.

Oh. I really thought you were going to wait for a while. I guess you could not resist blasting through the foam blocks for extra XPs.:) I only have a few games, the Grid series except for 2019, Asetto Corsa, PCars 1&2 and another one. I don't remember having seen that before. The reviewer mentioned Drive Club so maybe it came from there. He also mentioned Drive Club at least 5 times, Sim Cade around 7 times and looks like a mobile game. Thanked Codies for his shirt and other gear. I don't understand why Jimmy's review gets so much negativity.
My main reason for picking it up is to review it for my channel.

Thanks for picking it up! When you review, do you do a score at the end (ie - out 10)? And if you do a score, what do you take into consideration - how fun it is as a straight up game? Or do you take into account your expectations such as 'is this a sim?'

I'm just curious. I'm also very curious about the review embargo, or do you know about that?

I look forward to your review , always well balanced and honest.
Based on whats missing its not for me as I don't have time for multiple games so ACC and PC2 aren't going to be replaced by it and I'd hoped that PC3 would be the succesor to PC2.

Thanks for picking it up! When you review, do you do a score at the end (ie - out 10)? And if you do a score, what do you take into consideration - how fun it is as a straight up game? Or do you take into account your expectations such as 'is this a sim?'

I'm just curious. I'm also very curious about the review embargo, or do you know about that?
Here you go, this is the criteria I use when reviewing, along with a number of past reviews.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/scaffs-sim-racing-reviews.395197/

I hope to get my initial impressions out on Tuesday or Wednesday, with a full review towards the end of the week or over the weekend.

In terms of the embargo, I’ve no idea when that will lift.

Here you go, this is the criteria I use when reviewing, along with a number of past reviews.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/scaffs-sim-racing-reviews.395197/

I hope to get my initial impressions out on Tuesday or Wednesday, with a full review towards the end of the week or over the weekend.

In terms of the embargo, I’ve no idea when that will lift.
Thanks! It's a good way of doing it, especially since my eyes glaze over when people talk about GT classes and the like. I only want to race against my friends and have a career progression for single player. It's also probably a big part of the reason that I'm personally looking forward to this

On the subject of the requirements and expectations for something to qualify as a sim, here's a blast from the past that popped up in YouTube recommendations, a well-made retrospective showcasing Viper Racing, one of the first most sophisticated PC sims I grew up with:

As documented in this video, Viper Racing features:
  • Full physics-based freedom of movement, and a respectable tire model for its time
  • Engine torque acting on the chassis
  • Early support for a clutch axis and force feedback
  • Dynamic deformation from collisions, also affecting suspension alignment
  • Geometric suspension modelling
  • Upgrades (!)
  • Basic telemetry logging G-forces
  • Fantasy circuits (!)
  • Cannonball launcher (!!)
  • Magic wheelie button you could use to fly, or to crush a disabled Viper into a small clump like a piece of aluminum foil (!!)
  • A crude airplane you could fly around, shooting cannonballs at cars and buildings (!!!)
Viper Racing did not include:
  • Engine damage, even after serious collisions
  • Tire wear or temperature
  • Fuel consumption
  • Qualifying
  • Pitstops
  • Real world circuits or motorsport
So...is it a sim? :P

On the subject of the requirements and expectations for something to qualify as a sim, here's a blast from the past that popped up in YouTube recommendations, a well-made retrospective showcasing Viper Racing, one of the first most sophisticated PC sims I grew up with:

As documented in this video, Viper Racing features:
  • Full physics-based freedom of movement, and a respectable tire model for its time
  • Engine torque acting on the chassis
  • Early support for a clutch axis and force feedback
  • Dynamic deformation from collisions, also affecting suspension alignment
  • Geometric suspension modelling
  • Upgrades (!)
  • Basic telemetry logging G-forces
  • Fantasy circuits (!)
  • Cannonball launcher (!!)
  • Magic wheelie button you could use to fly, or to crush a disabled Viper into a small clump like a piece of aluminum foil (!!)
  • A crude airplane you could fly around, shooting cannonballs at cars and buildings (!!!)
Viper Racing did not include:
  • Engine damage, even after serious collisions
  • Tire wear or temperature
  • Fuel consumption
  • Qualifying
  • Pitstops
  • Real world circuits or motorsport
So...is it a sim? :P

It’s a driving sim, but not a motorsport sim, would be my view

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/03/creating-a-new-player-progression-system-for-project-cars-3/
This statement, I like: “Freedom, though, doesn’t mean you’ll get XP by bashing into other players — driving like a lunatic will actually see your XP go nowhere fast in a hurry! This is key because we want to reward players for their skill and get them to up their driving abilities in-game. Drive cleanly and skilfully, race with less assists on, and your XP rewards will get a boost as a result.”

Last edited:
I understand how the traditional fans are pissed off by this new direction, calling it PCars 3 was a mahoosive mistake, but for me it’s not an issue at all as I’m coming from a Driveclub ( still PS4’s greatest racer) kinda direction and hoping that it has the same online time trial and world leaderboards that DC had, then I’ll be a happy camper, and the graphics? they look fine to me but then again I ain’t good enough to concentrate on keeping my car on the black stuff and wondering why that tree in the distance is a wee bit jaggy at the same time..not going to be a day one purchase until I’ve read a few reviews first

There's a blast from the past. I have the box and I'm guessing disc around somewhere. I think I played using a keyboard, which was a tad difficult. Not sure if I ever tried the Momo Racing wheel on it.

Just curious what platform you are on? There was a period on PC where the trees flickered but they did fix it with the next patch. And can you really see jaggies on the trees?
Standard PS4. And yes, the trees stood out as jagged objects even amongst all the other ones (like the car interior, white track lines etc). I know they said they tried some different way of designing 3D trees in pCARS2 and thankfully it looks like they've ditched that idea for 3.

This looks horrible.

IndyCar in PCARS2 was done well. The only few things I'd want extra are the short oval kits and downforce changes in the pits and an improvement in the accuracy in the pit lane speed. But they've gone so far backwards. 99 laps maximum. Road course kits on ovals, AI look like they don't work out on ovals at all. Visual damage only. Nothing looks right and that's before we touch on the fuel/tyre wear and tyre temperatures/pressures.

Last edited:
This looks horrible.

IndyCar in PCARS2 was done well. The only few things I'd want extra are the short oval kits and downforce changes in the pits. But they've gone so far backwards. 99 laps maximum. Road course kits on ovals, AI look like they don't work out on ovals at all. Visual damage only. Nothing looks right and that's before we touch on the fuel/tyre wear and tyre temperatures/pressures.

Could not possibly agree more. PC2 is really good for IndyCar, and I guess for us console guys, that's going to be what we're left with. Hell, even Forza 7 at least has tire wear, fuel use, pit stops and you can run full length races, even if the car physics are pure fiction. Strategy plays a big part in IndyCar, and that's gone in PC3.

Saw a stream for a time trial at Oulton Park; objectives, corner mastering, penalties in place, looked like good fun.

Back