Project Cars 3 Hype thread

• Thread starter Benny44
  • 351 comments
Thanks! I just want a game that maintains the feel of driving a car without going too arcadey, AND I can have my IRL friends enjoy an adult beverage or 3 while racing.

I'm interested once the Multiplayer is more fleshed out. It sounds like fun, but the best part about having LeMans was drinking on the straights! :lol:

I don't blame Jimmy Broadbent for his impressions; when you have a passionate sim racing audience, you have to cater to their interests. Backing their beliefs that PC3 is a game to avoid will make Jim more likeable to his fans. So... Good for him.

From the previews I've seen, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the game. It is probably going to be the last Forza/GT style game for the current generation, with some Shift influence in the mix. 👍

Last edited:
Well I'm coming back here since negativity has completely taken over on the main thread mostly because of Jimmy Broadbent. I'll be interested to find out what more mainstream sites think then use that as a median to base my judgment on.

That said, I think I'm going to finally preorder this on Monday. I think it has everything I want in a game. I never played Shift, but to me this feels like maybe an older Forza or GT game updated to modern standards.

Has anyone seen the look of setting up a custom lobby?

Well Benny this is not as loathsome as the official forum has become, yet. I don't know what Jimmy's problem is, don't really care. He does have influence though. There are plenty of screenshots available on the official forum so I am not concerned about the graphics. The videos are uneven with some looking better than others. I haven't seen a youtube video of PCars 2 either that looks as good as the game looks on my low end PC. Doesn't matter what others say, I have already made my purchase. PCars 2 has a good reputation in VR so I don't know why it would suddenly be off in PCars 3.

It is a bit calmer over here. :P I find it interesting how things get so easily stirred up.

I've got to say I've been watching the videos by "The Dart" and I've been quite impressed by the visuals. It looks just like a slightly polished and smoother running PC2 to me. So I suppose PC2 must have been just like a mobile game too then?

I watched some of TheKie's stream, he was really enjoying it. Even played some matchmaking multiplayer, which seemed very easy to access. Although there wasn't many about to race against, understandably. I'm not too sure about the early career mode races, they seem a bit simple. However...

Watching Actrollvision's stream (That looked pretty good graphically too) on the bit I saw he was just playing custom races and he liked it "I'm having a great time on it" he said. The AI seemed pretty competitive as well. Since custom races are my staple in PC2 I've done a bit of 180° and I'm considering ordering once more! Maybe.

I'm not sure about slander @FT-1 but calling anything made by any company who's intention it is to make money to survive "A cash grab" always amuses me. Of course companies should always make a loss just to please me. :)

Good for you.:) You have plenty of time to change your mind a few times.:lol:

Yeah "cash grab" is used a lot on car forums. Steam discussions as well. I don't know about slander either. I am going to take you to court because you have accused me of trying to make money. I can almost hear the judge, "What?".

I wonder if AI in career is different from AI in custom races. I hope it’s just some kind of adjustment to AI difficulty in early career races. We shall see. Hopefully someone will investigate that aspect in some detail once the game is out.

In some of the videos AI is Default. You need to place very high and the races are only 2 laps so this is probably best for the early races in Career.

I wonder if AI in career is different from AI in custom races. I hope it’s just some kind of adjustment to AI difficulty in early career races.
I suspect the AI in the early races are toned down somewhat, just like in most game types really. You don't want the customer to get disheartened and not continue with the game.

In some of the videos AI is Default. You need to place very high and the races are only 2 laps so this is probably best for the early races in Career.
I’ve seen someone set AI to Legendary (?), which is the highest and he passed everyone early on and then kept increasing his lead. It was a decent driver for sure, but seemed way too easy. Now that I think of it, it wasn’t a career race, so maybe there is reason to be concerned.

It was interesting that Nathan Bell was talking about AI (this was a few weeks ago) and he said they made it tougher, then they thought it was too tough so they toned it down. To make a long story short he seemed to indicate AI difficulty was a moving target even then, so hopefully if it isn't good they can adjust it easily via a patch

so hopefully if it isn't good they can adjust it easily via a patch
They did in PC2. They added the aggression slider too. I don't think it was there initially.

My one concern is that the sliders are now gone so little tweaks are not available anymore. They often made a difference.

I’ve seen someone set AI to Legendary (?), which is the highest and he passed everyone early on and then kept increasing his lead. It was a decent driver for sure, but seemed way too easy. Now that I think of it, it wasn’t a career race, so maybe there is reason to be concerned.

Yeah I saw that as well. I have early access so I will let you know. I watched an AM GTE race where he won by 16 seconds running 2:04s at Silverstone but he didn't show his AI presets. I wish a reviewer would spend the time to show more detail of the presets used instead of charging off to "race".

They did in PC2. They added the aggression slider too. I don't think it was there initially.

My one concern is that the sliders are now gone so little tweaks are not available anymore. They often made a difference.

Yeah so far they have presets for both difficulty and aggression. I don't know if "Very High" is the highest aggression but it is the highest I have seen.
Cockpit view and Chase Cam are terrible because you can't see if the AI are racing each other when the view is mostly an empty track ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if "Very High" is the highest aggression
I think I've seen one higher than that. Can't remember what it was called without watching again. Edit: just seen above - Legendary was the setting.

In a lot of these videos they don't treat the AI with any respect, they just barge past/through them. I always try to treat them as human and give them room, don't dive bomb them etc. I find you get a much better race that way.

Saying that, in these very short races where you need to acquire credits you feel there is a need to get to the front at any cost. That's why I like the idea that you can earn credits in custom races where you don't have so much pressure to advance all the time.

Yeah, no penalties for cutting a corner to pass or ram your way to take 4 cars on corner entry. All the griping on PCars 2 about penalties being to harsh. How do you like me now?:)

From your post above Legendary was the difficulty level he used. Very High was the Aggression level. It wouldn't have mattered what aggression level he used because he demolished the AI through the first corner and they could bang on each all day and not have an impact on him.

Last edited:
no penalties for cutting a corner to pass or ram
I'm not sure if anyone was running with rules and penalties enabled. I haven't seen any warnings on screen. I'm sure there must be some otherwise online would be chaos.

I did see track cutting penalties applied to the single car hot laps though, so they are there.

I'm not sure if anyone was running with rules and penalties enabled. I haven't seen any warnings on screen. I'm sure there must be some otherwise online would be chaos.

I did see track cutting penalties applied to the single car hot laps though, so they are there.

Yeah hot laps are fixed. I also read that bad behavior wasn't going to be rewarded but the videos so far haven't shown any downside to behaving badly in the Career races. Maybe the only penalty is you won't get the perfect corner or overtake points if you drive like trash. Another reason I hoped for better reviews but we can straighten it out once we have the game and can give some decent feedback ourselves.

I saw cutting penalties in both Jimmys stream and Actrollvision's. They were plenty harsh but sometimes they got away with stuff they shouldn't have too. There was a big penalty for driving inside the lines(or outside? hehe) on the backstraight at Daytona which was rather hilarious and worrisome. Didn't see any penalties for punting, and there was lots of punting(which is one of the easier ways to pass the whole field in turn 1).

I saw cutting penalties in both Jimmys stream and Actrollvision's. They were plenty harsh but sometimes they got away with stuff they shouldn't have too.
Oh right, I haven't seen any race penalties. Were they of the slow down time penalty type of thing? There's got to be some punting penalties online, hopefully!

Jimmy Broadbent
Literally who?

Anyway...
One difference now is that a player can under-spec their car (on upgradable cars) to help compensate for slow AI, if they are indeed slow. If there is a significant lack of challenge, then I expect SMS to do something about it, like the numerous changes they made to PCARS2.

I’m watching Gameriot’s career gameplay video and I’m even more impressed. As long as it’s more like ACC with a controller then Project Cars 2 then this could be very enjoyable in my eyes. Hype rising lol

They really should of sent Fail'Hellooo'Race a copy,
I didn't know him so I quickly looked him up and yes I agree he has a nice relaxed approach.

I also saw his latest video below which @Wolfe will like. ;)

This seems to be a good guy as well. Again not shouty and he drives well too. Doesn't punt the AI - too much. :)

Last edited:
Who’s this Jimmy guy everyone is talki

A Youtuber.....and really that's it. It seems he was determined not to like it. I do respect his opinion, but it's just one opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.....

Anyway, I think that's the first time I've seen Enthusia in action. Good stuff, wish I'd known about that when I had my PS2!

I have to go away Friday for extra work on the weekend, so early to Project Cars may not work for me. But after watching a lot of footage, I'm all in. Love the lobbies, that's a massive plus

Edit - meant to say it looks fun, but I'm not sure that's allowed in a sim type game

That 1st video above was interesting because the track map and speedo seemed to be more transparent than I've seen before, which is better. He also switched the hud off completely mid lap so that shows that button mapping option is still available. 👍

Not long now until we get a trusted review from GTPlanet, Im not buying into any of the dog and pony show youtube stuff about this game. There has been so much speculation, Im still hopeful this will be a decent game... I wonder who has it right? Im guessing there will be some folks eating their words as there are some extreme views lol

I watched a review where the reviewer tried to be even handed. It's more for fun. If you only want a motorsports simulation you have PCars 2 and ACC.
He was optimistic about multiplayer. People were pounding him on his stream about "Jimmy says", well Jimmy's expectations are different and he is certainly allowed his opinion.
The carry over from PCars 2 will upset some people, some people might like the familiarity. For new people there are plenty of decent tracks to chose from. Those that were frustrated with controller support, poor grid sizes and low frame rates in PCars 2 might welcome the changes.

Finally a deDarted video of an EV. I'll have to get used to only wind noise and tire squeal though.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back