Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
7 weeks till release. I hope it flies.
It won't now
smiley-angry009.gif

Except for the notoriously narrow ones (as FLX81 points out), real race tracks are generally very wide, like the pic below. As it happens, the devs do know about track widths ;)

2012-Nurburgring-24h-race-cars.jpg
It's that console FOV that people need to deprogram. I remember when Ascari was introduced to GT6 and everyone was complaining that the track was so narrow. Turns out Ascari is a consistent 12 metres or about 7 cars wide, but the distorted FOV in GT makes it look like a golf cart path.

Are you looking to get a T500, personally wouldn't get one as it does not have proper PS4 support and for lap times, T300 seems better from what I read. Seems the T500 might be a step behind Logitech for lap times, the T300 might be a step up. As a package I think the T300 is better value, you get a really good wheel and you can buy a decent shifter and pedals afterwards. You can even use your old Logitech pedals with a third party adapter. Here is a post regarding someone who seemed destined not to get a Thrustmaster wheel but ended up doing so from going from a G27 to T300 regarding pCARS FFB: Link

Looking for the T300, the T500 is way too expensive. Will give it a read thanks saidur.

I know I'm replying to this a tad late but:

umm.... right..

Hopefully they'll sort that out by launch time

Call me bonkers but I think that looks great! Especially compared to games like Gran Turismo, or any Codemasters game, where the AI always err on the side of caution, here I think the level of agression was perfectly fair. There was some problems, but most of them seemed to be caused by:

- AI getting spooked down the straights and slowing down necessarily (probably not difficult to fix for them)

- Speed differential (in the description it says this was on 50% AI and human driver was coming out of corners much better)

- The human driver being the aggressive/dumb one, ironically!

So yeah, I definitely enjoyed that - maybe I'm a bit biased because the first thing I noticed was the AI actually hold their speed through corners when side-by-side, and having played F1 2014 for the last few days, god do I wish so badly for such a simple sounding thing.............

I know SMS will have to consider all sorts of idiots who just don't know how to race against other cars (especially on consoles I guess), but if people on the forums could maybe request that they "at least keep an option to have AI this agressive or similar.............please please please please please please please"..........that would be appreciated :P

I just read a comment on youtube thats messing me up . The tracks are too wide . I watched a bunch of vids and he is right and not only that but the white line is wide , the guard rails too high , everthing seems out of perportion. The green hell is not the tight version in gt6 or real life , its bloody massive . I really hope i am wrong but my excitement has turned to worry . Are you guys comfortable with the width of the tracks , ect ?
Right, after a few years of reading this, I reckon a few of us are getting just a tiny bit fed up. It's a misconception that Nordschleife is as narrow as a cow trail. While not as wide as modern racetracks, or indeed some old tracks and quite dramatic, it actually is a racetrack. If you care to study pictures you'll see that you can line up quite a few cars side by side.

9591602584_25fde7ff96_z.jpg

Again the devs know the track widths; they have the data, and of course SMS devs have been driving Nordschleife. YouTube has several RL vs pCARS Nordschliefe video, and they show that it's spot on. As Johhnypenso says, camera focal length (FOV) and camera angles may fool you.

Here's one comparison of RL vs pCARS (it's hard to get it perfectly lined up, with the exact same focal length, this as far as I care to tweak to make a point):

20kvpxy.jpg

Last edited:
So anyone who doesn't know how to race is an idiot now?

That's not what he was saying. He was saying there are idiots who don't know, and have no intention of learning, how to race against other drivers properly. There are techniques to learn, such as giving room, being respectful, etc., that some people just don't think apply to them, and they just smash people out of the way.

So anyone who doesn't know how to race is an idiot now?

Yes, scientifically - IQs < 20, all of them, no exceptions.

Which includes me cause I sure can't race proper either......

:P No that's not what I meant. Just that people can be right eejits on the (virtual) track sometimes. And thinking more about what you get from time to time when people complain about super aggressive AI taking them out and such, but it's actually all on them (fun when they put up videos as evidence and then everyone calls them out on their racing, haha).

I know I'm replying to this a tad late but:

Call me bonkers but I think that looks great! Especially compared to games like Gran Turismo, or any Codemasters game, where the AI always err on the side of caution, here I think the level of agression was perfectly fair. There was some problems, but most of them seemed to be caused by:

- AI getting spooked down the straights and slowing down necessarily (probably not difficult to fix for them)

- Speed differential (in the description it says this was on 50% AI and human driver was coming out of corners much better)

- The human driver being the aggressive/dumb one, ironically!

So yeah, I definitely enjoyed that - maybe I'm a bit biased because the first thing I noticed was the AI actually hold their speed through corners when side-by-side, and having played F1 2014 for the last few days, god do I wish so badly for such a simple sounding thing.............

I know SMS will have to consider all sorts of idiots who just don't know how to race against other cars (especially on consoles I guess), but if people on the forums could maybe request that they "at least keep an option to have AI this agressive or similar.............please please please please please please please"..........that would be appreciated :P

Thanks for giving me permission: YOU’RE BONKERS!!
If you think what was in that video is good, then I can only say I am very happy you are not a developer for PROJECT CARS.
This Game looks amazing graphically, I just hope they work out the small details and give us a game/sim that look and drives great!!

Thanks for giving me permission: YOU’RE BONKERS!!

lol, thanks :P

I just think that a lot of the incidents in that video were not down to the "oh the dumb AI blindly ran into me" type situation. Like speed differential (look how fast some of the AI were down the straights compared to others, looks like the race had a random grid order and surely that's always gonna cause chaos with a 56 car grid), or the human themselves being the overly ambitious one. And the incidents that were the AIs fault......well, good! AI should make mistakes from time to time, because that's what humans do!

And even if I'm wrong on every count I'd honestly still take that - where you can have good wheel-to-wheel action even if it means tolerating some bumps and scrapes along the way - than something like F1 2014, where it is very difficult to race AI one-on-one at all, unless you deliberately slow down. Just my view. Like I said, if it's possible for SMS to have options to make the AI whatever the heck you want it to be, then nutters like me can be pleased too ;)

Has anyone pre ordered the limited edition from game? If so, on the pre order receipt does it mention if it's limited edition or not?

SMS may or may not provide any paid DLC (as opposed to free DLC). If they don't, will there be a way to make voluntary donations as an expression of appreciation?

SMS may or may not provide any paid DLC (as opposed to free DLC). If they don't, will there be a way to make voluntary donations as an expression of appreciation?
I have high hopes that pCARS 2 development will also be WMD based, so you'll be able to do it through investing into the next game. When and if that happens is still to be seen, but I suspect pCARS will have at least a reasonable financial success to warrant the sequel.

Speaking of WMD, I'm so grateful that SMS decided to do it this way. I'm sure it's been tough on developers hearing a lot of negative comments, even from the wmd community itself, which were not always fair, but there is enough constructive and detailed criticism on the forums that it has definitely helped the game get to where it is now.

Last edited:
I have high hopes that pCARS 2 development will also be WMD based, so you'll be able to do it through investing into the next game. When and if that happens is still to be seen, but I suspect pCARS will have at least a reasonable financial success to warrant the sequel.

Speaking of WMD, I'm so grateful that SMS decided to do it this way. I'm sure it's been tough on developers hearing a lot of negative comments, even from the wmd community itself, which were not always fair, but there is enough constructive and detailed criticism on the forums that it has definitely helped the game get to where it is now.
SMS deserves a boatload of credit for choosing this path. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to manage all the various personalities and the resulting mountain of feedback from players and still make positive changes to the game as a result. I really, really, really hope this churns out a dynamite game as a result and turns into a development path for other games as well.

Quick question about the WMD system - I remember when SMS first announced this, they said that members would get a financial return on their investment based on the profits the game would make. Now this was way way back (before the game was even called Project CARS I think) - for the WMD members here, do you know if this idea is still in place or was dropped at some point?

....aha, found an article about it for some context: http://www.virtualr.net/c-a-r-s-financial-details-revealed
So long ago it had been penned as a free-to-play game haha :P

Quick question about the WMD system - I remember when SMS first announced this, they said that members would get a financial return on their investment based on the profits the game would make. Now this was way way back (before the game was even called Project CARS I think) - for the WMD members here, do you know if this idea is still in place or was dropped at some point?

....aha, found an article about it for some context: http://www.virtualr.net/c-a-r-s-financial-details-revealed
So long ago it had been penned as a free-to-play game haha :P

Still very much the plan. There are some people who invested 100,000 euros into the game, so I'm sure they fully expect return on their investment.

I myself have 1k riding on this too, so you guys better buy it lol

Honestly, if I just make my money back I'll be happy, but I have to say the whole WMD experience pretty much was worth it even if I don't.

Actually, the number is track dependant, the devs just told me at WMD. It can go up as high as 45 cars on track. Yes, on the PS4. :D
What about the Le Mans 24hrs on ps4? Will it have 55-56 or will it be 45? It's amazing though for 45 ai since on all other non-nascar games it has been about 16. :D

Back