Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
I have not seen any talk of a rewind. I myself don't think that would be racing "sim" feature. Can't say I've seen rewind in any racing sim thinking back - any of the Simbin, Image Space, Kunos titles to name a few.

If they implement an rewind feature we officially can say it is an Simcade racer. With that success of pCars I would not wonder when they mess up pcars2 because they want to satisfy the mainstream gamers.

I'm not keen on a rewind feature for pCARS, especially in any online special events, time trials or multiplayer races but it wouldnt bother me too much if it was implemented and used in single player career only.

No, we can't say that. Just turn it off if you don't like it (I know I won't be using it)

I would not take the game serious if it would have an rewind feature and probably I would not buy it. If it is a serious sim, there should no such stupid feature in the game. There is no rewind in real life, so there should be no rewind in the game.

If they implement an rewind feature we officially can say it is an Simcade racer. With that success of pCars I would not wonder when they mess up pcars2 because they want to satisfy the mainstream gamers.
That's right. Let's keep it real. I agree.

On the PC there are more racing choices - sim, simcade, arcade... On the consoles they have been missing "sim" focused racing, I hope SMS keeps pCARS focused on "sim racing". You can't please everyone but I hope SMS can make money on pCARS as a "sim" and continue development on past v1.0. I don't think they should try to compete with the GT and FM games, they have a different focus and are missing many of the full racing features a racing sim will bring (practice, qualifying, pace car, pit stops, in-depth tuning, race strategy, multi-class racing, weather related effects on performance, penalties, flag system, full featured multi-player controls for hosts, etc.). With that said, SMS is not forcing everything on the racer, most everything is configurable for the gamer as not everyone is a "sim junky".
Project CARS is being created by a core of sim racing gear heads, and guided by a sim focused community, there isn't a big publisher involved that is forcing features of mass appeal. I just hope they are given a chance to finish this title without getting beat up too much from the inevitable bugs or less than perfect release by those expecting perfection or those with an allegiance to another racing sim/game.

Last edited:
I would not take the game serious if it would have an rewind feature and probably I would not buy it. If it is a serious sim, there should no such stupid feature in the game. There is no rewind in real life, so there should be no rewind in the game.
There's also no crashing into a wall in real life at 250MPH, hitting a button and restarting your race. No dev of a sim racer would be silly enough to allow this feature to be used outside of practice mode or solo career mode, so I don't see how having it available to attract beginners to sim racing would affect your game or mine.

There's also no crashing into a wall in real life at 250MPH, hitting a button and restarting your race. No dev of a sim racer would be silly enough to allow this feature to be used outside of practice mode or solo career mode, so I don't see how having it available to attract beginners to sim racing would affect your game or mine.
You're correct, providing a feature such as rewind "should" not effect those that don't want to use it but it does bring a "perception" of arcade - its that perception that will lead some to foster opinions of simcade.
I have to admit there are times it would be nice to have a rewind in any of the sims I race but I also have to say I drive differently knowing a mistake will have a greater affect on the outcome of a race. Yes, there are times that I will be taken out by a stupid AI mistake but as IRL, its not always the drivers fault on the outcome - racers have to accept that its not a perfect world. I think virtual racers think that unless they are winning most every race they are failing. The objective is to win but to model real life, finishing back of the pack is reality and makes winning that much sweeter when it does happen. Rewind, to me, is a feature to help with winning a race not racing to the best of your ability and let the cards fall as they may. My $.05

I have not seen any talk of a rewind. I myself don't think that would be racing "sim" feature. Can't say I've seen rewind in any racing sim thinking back - any of the Simbin, Image Space, Kunos titles to name a few.

I really hope they Do Not ruin a great game with a really stupid feature like rewind, if you can't drive well, suck it up, accept the fact that you screwed up and won't win that race or place well and try practicing more to improve your skills.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is that problem with people today, always looking for an easy out. This is racing, there are no rewinds in the real world.

Last edited:
You're correct, providing a feature such as rewind "should" not effect those that don't want to use it but it does bring a "perception" of arcade - its that perception that will lead some to foster opinions of simcade.
I have to admit there are times it would be nice to have a rewind in any of the sims I race but I also have to say I drive differently knowing a mistake will have a greater affect on the outcome of a race. Yes, there are times that I will be taken out by a stupid AI mistake but as IRL, its not always the drivers fault on the outcome - racers have to accept that its not a perfect world. I think virtual racers think that unless they are winning most every race they are failing. The objective is to win but to model real life, finishing back of the pack is reality and makes winning that much sweeter when it does happen. Rewind, to me, is a feature to help with winning a race not racing to the best of your ability and let the cards fall as they may. My $.05

I didn't see your reply until after I posted and I have to say I agree with you 100%. Very Well said, I was not as diplomatic in my response.

Again, Well put!!!

I just searched WMD forums and all references of a rewind feature were ignored by the community so its a safe bat its not in

On Forza the only time I used the rewind feature was if I trashed my car due to a dumb overtaking move, but this was mainly due to having to make stupid overtake lunges because the race length was so short and I had to make rapid progress, due to extended race lengths and qualifying this will not be an issue.

Rewind is nice to have in a game with absurdly short races, or when you're grinding for cash in street races with randomized traffic, as I did in Forza Horizon to complete 1000 Club. Neither of these things should be relevant to PCARS, but that doesn't mean the option would be the end of the 🤬 world if it were to be included. If it would be that outrageously unforgivable, there should also be no "Restart Race" function. :rolleyes:

Now, I do think the concept of rewind is disincentivized by the structure of PCARS' career mode and lack of monetary purchases; if you're not just collecting rows of gold trophies and the money to buy the next car you really want, a hard-earned 3rd place is much more satisfying. But why would anyone want SMS to skip out on features to accomodate inexperienced players just because they could be perceived as "arcade" by niche elite groups? There's very little money there, and the sales of every simulator that's more "serious" than Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport prove it.

Project CARS is being created by a core of sim racing gear heads, and guided by a sim focused community, there isn't a big publisher involved that is forcing features of mass appeal. I just hope they are given a chance to finish this title without getting beat up too much from the inevitable bugs or less than perfect release by those expecting perfection or those with an allegiance to another racing sim/game.

There will be bugs in initial release, but they should get them through 2015, so everybody can enjoy it once the nvidia releases the 900 series in spring and later on the Rift CV1.

Sims take years to perfect. It took Iracing almost 6 years to get the tire model and handling right.

pCARS has an excellent replay system - slow motion, any car perspective, a ton of different views, fine control of forward/back, etc... if that is what you're getting at.

Good to hear it. GT drives me nuts with no slow motion and especially the lack of a decent fast-forward or rewind, opting for the chapter style instead. It made getting the perfect screenshot harder than it should have been.

Just did a few laps with the Formula B around Belgian Forest Circuit, only managed second place a bit like Lewis today but was using default setup and only wanted to spend about 20 minutes on it. Seems to handle like it is on rails, had to lower graphics settings as I was having some framerate drops when there is a lot of buildings. Force feedback on car seems very low compared to the Superkart at the same settings so I struggled with it a bit but still good fun which is the main thing. Also sounds quite good especially on downshifts. Here is video of my fastest lap, was a bit awkward reaching out for keyboard with one hand while driving with other hand to find out split times to see if it was worth carrying on at Bruxelles hairpin:

Last edited:
Have considerd looking at amd as that might be cheaper allowing for you to spend more on accessories like gaming mouse and keyboard and some good deals on steam.

By the way this weekend only assetto corsa is half price

I have only looked at Intel as the savings would not amount to enough to significantly bring the price down. I was putting together systems and everything came to over $1,200 and what I really wanted was like $1,500. Even if the AMD was $100 dollars cheaper, that would not do enough to bring the price down. Listed are the components I was looking at with the prices based on Amazon.com:

Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01 - Already have laying around.
Optical Drive - Already have DVD drives and CD Drives in case.
Intel Core i7-4790K - $339.99
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 - $182.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 FTW 4GB Dual DisplayPort HDMI DVI-I/DVI-D Graphics Card with ACX Cooler - $399.99
Rosewill 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply ATX12V / EPS12V 650 Power Supply CAPSTONE-650-M - $76.49
Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive - $211.99
Thermaltake Frio Advanced Universal CPU Cooler with Ultimate Over-Clocking Support of 230W TDP Dual 130mm VR/PWM Fans - $62.34
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Z97 with Killer E2200 and Intel Gaming Networking SATA Express M.2 SSD ATX Motherboard - $179.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams - $7.96
Silverstone Tek 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Hard Drive HDD SSD Bay Converter - $7.97

So, there it is, even with using a really nice case that I already have, and not including some other misc stuff that I would need, this thing is: $1,469.71. And like I said this will only be used for PCARS. That is why I am trying to see what specs people are using to get Ultra Settings. Trying to determine how much I need to spend. If the PS4 can come close, then maybe I forget about this and my G27 and purchase a Thrustmaster T300RS and call it a day (I wouldn't be happy that I need to purchase a wheel when I already have one though!!)

You could save roughly 120$ on CPU (still Intel), 90$ on memory (8gb is well enough, and the cpu supports up to 1600mhz.. going over that is useless), 70$ on motherboard - without affecting the game performance pretty much at all.

As you list $ prices, i presume you're in US? Have you checked newegg's prices?

I would keep the i7 and you wouldn't need to over clock it saving $70, the 770 would bottleneck way before that CPU. You could also save $100 on a smaller SSD, not everything needs to be installed to the SSD, most gaming is not slowed by disk IO. I agree with JvM on the motherboard and memory, 16GB would only be needed for multitasking, and addition RAM can be added later if you find a need.

So I know you wont be able to make designs on the consoles at launch at least, but this question applies for both consoles and PC (Via photoshop) will we be able to design our helmet? Its something almost every racing game fan has been asking for and we still have to see a proper answer to what we want, if PCARS does indeed have it sometime this year, its Racing Game of the year for me.

JvM
You could save roughly 120$ on CPU (still Intel), 90$ on memory (8gb is well enough, and the cpu supports up to 1600mhz.. going over that is useless), 70$ on motherboard - without affecting the game performance pretty much at all.

As you list $ prices, i presume you're in US? Have you checked newegg's prices?

Yes, I am in the US. and Yes, I went to newegg and checked the price of the CPU I listed and it is exactly the same price $339.99.

Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01 - Already have laying around.
Optical Drive - Already have DVD drives and CD Drives in case.
Intel Core i7-4790K - $339.99
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 - $182.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 FTW 4GB Dual DisplayPort HDMI DVI-I/DVI-D Graphics Card with ACX Cooler - $399.99
Rosewill 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply ATX12V / EPS12V 650 Power Supply CAPSTONE-650-M - $76.49
Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive - $211.99
Thermaltake Frio Advanced Universal CPU Cooler with Ultimate Over-Clocking Support of 230W TDP Dual 130mm VR/PWM Fans - $62.34
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H LGA 1150 Z97 with Killer E2200 and Intel Gaming Networking SATA Express M.2 SSD ATX Motherboard - $179.99
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams - $7.96
Silverstone Tek 3.5-Inch to 2 X 2.5-Inch Hard Drive HDD SSD Bay Converter - $7.97

I got the Vengeance rams and they have high cooling fins for whatever reason. That's why I had to buy the Scythe Grand Kama, the only cooler that goes over those. So make sure there enough space between CPU and ram slots, get the normal profile rams or buy a different cooler.

I5 4750K would do just as good, as would 1600MHz ram.

And AFAIK, nvidia 800 series will get released before Pcars, so you might wanna wait for it. 700 series is already a year old and on the way out. It's also the most important component, this is where you don't spare.

Just did a few laps with the Formula B around Belgian Forest Circuit, only managed second place a bit like Lewis today but was using default setup and only wanted to spend about 20 minutes on it. Seems to handle like it is on rails, had to lower graphics settings as I was having some framerate drops when there is a lot of buildings. Force feedback on car seems very low compared to the Superkart at the same settings so I struggled with it a bit but still good fun which is the main thing. Also sounds quite good especially on downshifts. Here is video of my fastest lap, was a bit awkward reaching out for keyboard with one hand while driving with other hand to find out split times to see if it was worth carrying on at Bruxelles hairpin:

Can you make this car tail happy in mid corner without using ballast?

Last edited:
I5 4750K would do just as good

In testing that has been done by the community, it has been shown that the i7 is a beneficial processor when compared to the i5, even with slower clock speeds. If you can afford it, go for the i7, I wish I had.

The more you save on parts like ram and motherboard the more you can spend on gpu and cpu also consider brands for some parts the brand name makes the difference between a £100 part and a £150+ part from my experience when researching computer part manufacturers are much like car manufacturing groups for example.

In the vag group it common knowledge that skodas are budget volkswagens, their the same quality but cheaper to buy and run. The same applies for computer components.

My suggestion is to look at what parts you have then look at similar specs, i saved £30 on my ram sticks and £40 on my motherboard. The psu also had small savings although its not much it meant that money i saved allowed me to spend more on a gpu and accessories.

Back