Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
In testing that has been done by the community, it has been shown that the i7 is a beneficial processor when compared to the i5, even with slower clock speeds. If you can afford it, go for the i7, I wish I had.

DG_Silva,
After looking at the list of items that I have been researching, what would you buy/change, I ask because you seem to have some experience with PCARS and how it responds and is optimized at the moment. If you were putting together a system exclusively for PCARS, Single Screen, what would you buy?

I got the Vengeance rams and they have high cooling fins for whatever reason. That's why I had to buy the Scythe Grand Kama, the only cooler that goes over those. So make sure there enough space between CPU and ram slots, get the normal profile rams or buy a different cooler.

I5 4750K would do just as good, as would 1600MHz ram.

And AFAIK, nvidia 800 series will get released before Pcars, so you might wanna wait for it. 700 series is already a year old and on the way out. It's also the most important component, this is where you don't spare.

I have no problem waiting for the 800 Series, the question of course will be cost, if they are selling for the same as current, that will be great.

I just want to have a really good experience playing PCARS, Like I said, I have a PS4 in the house but, would need to buy a new wheel, that is the only reason I am even looking at this stuff. I wish that the PS3 components (G27) were actually compatible with PS4 (After All they are both Playstations) accessories, because if the performance of the PS4 is relatively close, I would just use the PS4 and be happy.

The more you save on parts like ram and motherboard the more you can spend on gpu and cpu also consider brands for some parts the brand name makes the difference between a £100 part and a £150+ part from my experience when researching computer part manufacturers are much like car manufacturing groups for example.

In the vag group it common knowledge that skodas are budget volkswagens, their the same quality but cheaper to buy and run. The same applies for computer components.

My suggestion is to look at what parts you have then look at similar specs, i saved £30 on my ram sticks and £40 on my motherboard. The psu also had small savings although its not much it meant that money i saved allowed me to spend more on a gpu and accessories.

Willfred_1,
You are correct, it's just in the grand scheme of things, if it saves my sanity, and I am only going to save $100 bucks on a system that is costing $1,200 - $1,500 it just doesn't seem like it is worth the headache, I guess that is crazy, I'm sure its just frustration setting in on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Willfred_1,
You are correct, it's just in the grand scheme of things, if it saves my sanity, and I am only going to save $100 bucks on a system that is costing $1,200 - $1,500 it just doesn't seem like it is worth the headache, I guess that is crazy, I'm sure its just frustration setting in on my part.
$100 seem alot though to me that's worth the headache. think of what you could do with that money saved.

Willfred_1,
I think the suggestions you are getting are based on the fact that you seem to be getting discouraged as the cost of building a PC is getting high when compared to a PS4. If you want to build a better than average PC then you are on the right track, but if you want to save money and build something closer to the performance of a PS4 then some of the parts you are picking are over and above what a PS4 would hardware-wise provide (higher priced motherboard, extra RAM, an SSD, higher priced CPU, etc.). If I was building another PC, I am confident I could "match" the performance of a PS4 for less than your $1,300-$1,500 price range. With that said, I myself would spend a little more for added performance and usable lifespan. When I build, I focus on the things that are not easily changed/swapped out like a CPU and motherboard - everything else can easily be changed in minutes (PSU, RAM, GPU, HD/SSD, sound card, etc.). I started my current build a year ago with a single HD 7850, added another HD 7850 for CrossFire use 6 months later, then sold both (close to what I paid) and purchased my current GTX 780 for only $250 more after selling the AMD's on eBay. And everything else in my build from a year ago is not limiting my sim racing experience at all (MB, RAM, CPU, PSU, etc.), very happy with the performance.
If I need more performance down the road, an option would be to pick up another GTX 780 on sale or eBay and run SLI. That's what's nice about PC gaming, you can tweak and upgrade in increments as the need arises. I realize some view this as a negative as they don't want to tinker with electronics.

Last edited:
I'm just going ps4 for launch. I think I can live with the graphical loss on ps4. As long as I'm getting decent frame rates, and game play physics are the same, I'll be good. I tell you man. Tech moves so fast these days we can't get comfortable and settle into a configuration because right around the corner something better comes out. That Drove me crazy because I wanted the new tech. I became quite obsessed with it. but in the end unless the change was drastic, the gaming experience would stay the same. are y'all feeling me on this.I'm a much better speaker than a Writer. I think between each new console build and pc gpu's and cpu builds, we as gamers cannot settle into a configuration because the new thing is right around the corner and deep down we're scared we're going to miss something cool or miss something revolutionary about it. we're sucked into this. so I've decided this time I'm going to give my brain a break and settle with ps4 and I've gotten away from PC building right now. you know this is got to be hard on the developers as well. I say they all take a break for a little while and really come up with something revolutionary and let us just stick with what we've got for now. I've been around since the first ti 994a computer by Texas instruments. I used to do GW basic programming and make text adventures. the growth in tech Back then was very dramatic. The leap in advancement in the 80s and 90s was very dramatic. Now it has slowed down to a crawl as far as wow factor. I'm sorry guys I've been sitting here rambling. I hope y'all are seeing my point. I guess I'm tired of chasing that tiny improvement and realizing the wow factor is not worth the 1000's of dollars it takes to get it. By the way I will have The t300, the tha8 shifter and the t500 pedals if I can find them seprate. If not the t3pa pedals will do. Does anybody else feel this way. I hope I haven't confused you. younger people might have a hard time relating to this but for us that have been around for awhile I think you can understand what I'm saying. Any way here is to you (holding my beer up. Haha) sms and wmd for creating what will hopefully be the best racing game of all time. CHEERS! (Chug, chug, Gone.)

I think the suggestions you are getting are based on the fact that you seem to be getting discouraged as the cost of building a PC is getting high when compared to a PS4. If you want to build a better than average PC then you are on the right track, but if you want to save money and build something closer to the performance of a PS4 then some of the parts you are picking are over and above what a PS4 would hardware-wise provide (higher priced motherboard, extra RAM, an SSD, higher priced CPU, etc.). If I was building another PC, I am confident I could "match" the performance of a PS4 for less than your $1,300-$1,500 price range. With that said, I myself would spend a little more for added performance and usable lifespan. When I build, I focus on the things that are not easily changed/swapped out like a CPU and motherboard - everything else can easily be changed in minutes (PSU, RAM, GPU, HD/SSD, sound card, etc.). I started my current build a year ago with a single HD 7850, added another HD 7850 for CrossFire use 6 months later, then sold both (close to what I paid) and purchased my current GTX 780 for only $250 more after selling the AMD's on eBay. And everything else in my build from a year ago is not limiting my sim racing experience at all (MB, RAM, CPU, PSU, etc.), very happy with the performance.
If I need more performance down the road, an option would be to pick up another GTX 780 on sale or eBay and run SLI. That's what's nice about PC gaming, you can tweak and upgrade in increments as the need arises. I realize some view this as a negative as they don't want to tinker with electronics.

I guess what I am looking for is a not necessarily a PC that is equivalent to a PS4, I have seen videos posted with all PCARS settings at Ultra and it looks amazing. If I invest in a PC just for PCARS, I want to be able to run on Ultra Settings, if I'm only going to get the performance of a PS4, then I can just use the PS4 that we currently own. Problem was if I use the PS4, I still have to invest in a wheel because my Logitech G27 is not compatible. If I go with a PC, I can use my G27, but of course there is the cost of the PC. If I can only get PS4 performance after spending over $1000, then I won't bother. I am trying to determine what to buy to get ultra settings with 60 fps without going broke.

I'm just going ps4 for launch. I think I can live with the graphical loss on ps4. As long as I'm getting decent frame rates, and game play physics are the same, I'll be good. I tell you man. Tech moves so fast these days we can't get comfortable and settle into a configuration because right around the corner something better comes out. That Drove me crazy because I wanted the new tech. I became quite obsessed with it. but in the end unless the change was drastic, the gaming experience would stay the same. are y'all feeling me on this.I'm a much better speaker than a Writer. I think between each new console build and pc gpu's and cpu builds, we as gamers cannot settle into a configuration because the new thing is right around the corner and deep down we're scared we're going to miss something cool or miss something revolutionary about it. we're sucked into this. so I've decided this time I'm going to give my brain a break and settle with ps4 and I've gotten away from PC building right now. you know this is got to be hard on the developers as well. I say they all take a break for a little while and really come up with something revolutionary and let us just stick with what we've got for now. I've been around since the first ti 994a computer by Texas instruments. I used to do GW basic programming and make text adventures. the growth in tech Back then was very dramatic. The leap in advancement in the 80s and 90s was very dramatic. Now it has slowed down to a crawl as far as wow factor. I'm sorry guys I've been sitting here rambling. I hope y'all are seeing my point. I guess I'm tired of chasing that tiny improvement and realizing the wow factor is not worth the 1000's of dollars it takes to get it. By the way I will have The t300, the tha8 shifter and the t500 pedals if I can find them seprate. If not the t3pa pedals will do. Does anybody else feel this way. I hope I haven't confused you. younger people might have a hard time relating to this but for us that have been around for awhile I think you can understand what I'm saying. Any way here is to you (holding my beer up. Haha) sms and wmd for creating what will hopefully be the best racing game of all time. CHEERS! (Chug, chug, Gone.)

Yes,
I understand what you are saying. I have a PS4 that I got for my son and he really isn't using it, he says there are no games for it. The problem is that in order to use the PS4 I have to invest in a Wheel as my Logitech G27 is not compatible. That is the only reason I started looking at doing the PC thing in the first place, I thought I could save some cash by using the case and optical drives that I have laying around, but it doesn't help much.

Can you make this car tail happy in mid corner without using ballast?
You can make it a bit tail happy but more so in low speed corners and on bumps, in general this car seems too forgiving but still quite fun to push close to its limits.

$100 seem alot though to me that's worth the headache. think of what you could do with that money saved.
He will save money on electricity at least going with Intel and have better framerates in most games. I do think the parts are a bit overkill though, he could cut down by over $500 and get more or less the same framerate.

@IMZ14U2NV

Most likely work out a lot cheaper if you buy the T300RS and sell your G27, that way you get technically a much better wheel and spend not much extra. If going PC route you can spend considerably less and get similar performance and hopefully pricing for Steam Machines will be very competitive for specs so that is another way to get into PC gaming on a budget closer to the consoles.

Last edited:
You can make it a bit tail happy but more so in low speed corners and on bumps, in general this car seems too forgiving but still quite fun to push close to its limits.

He will save money on electricity at least going with Intel and have better framerates in most games. I do think the parts are a bit overkill though, he could cut down by over $500 and get more or less the same framerate.

@IMZ14U2NV

Most likely work out a lot cheaper if you buy the T300RS and sell your G27, that way you get technically a much better wheel and spend not much extra. If going PC route you can spend considerably less and get similar performance and hopefully pricing for Steam Machines will be very competitive for specs so that is another way to get into PC gaming on a budget closer to the consoles.

Saidur_Ali,
Not sure how much I can sell my G27 for as I have modified it with a carbon fiber shift knob and Carbon fiber covering on the wheel spokes. Why in the world is the G27 not compatible with PS4?? So, the T300RS in definitely a better wheel??

DG_Silva,
After looking at the list of items that I have been researching, what would you buy/change, I ask because you seem to have some experience with PCARS and how it responds and is optimized at the moment. If you were putting together a system exclusively for PCARS, Single Screen, what would you buy?

I would perhaps change the PSU for a silver certified, or even Bronze. For ease, look at possibly a modular PSU. I agree with others, a smaller SSD, say 128Gb, with a 1Gb SSHD. I would look at perhaps a lesser motherboard as well, because the PSU may take a little more money. Everything else is fine, it may appear overkill, but it will keep you relatively future-resistant. Try this:

NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1 Matte Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower $79.99
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD $84.99
ZOTAC ZT-70205-10P G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card $439.99
COOLMAX CUL-750B 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI/Crossfire ready Modular and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply $69.99
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $152.99
MSI Z97-G55 SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $113.99
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz £339.99
2x Rosewill 120mm Computer Case Fan $11.98
ZALMAN CNPS10XPERFORMA 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler $32.99
Samsung 120GB 94K Read / 35K Write IOPS SATA 2.5 Inch 6Gb/s SSD $123.50

Subtotal: $1,450.40

Yes,
I understand what you are saying. I have a PS4 that I got for my son and he really isn't using it, he says there are no games for it. The problem is that in order to use the PS4 I have to invest in a Wheel as my Logitech G27 is not compatible. That is the only reason I started looking at doing the PC thing in the first place, I thought I could save some cash by using the case and optical drives that I have laying around, but it doesn't help much.

Yes,

That's what stinks the incompatibility between consumer electronics
Yes,

Saidur_Ali,
Not sure how much I can sell my G27 for as I have modified it with a carbon fiber shift knob and Carbon fiber covering on the wheel spokes. Why in the world is the G27 not compatible with PS4?? So, the T300RS in definitely a better wheel??
I would imagine it will a lot better as it seems a more refined T500RS. I am getting frustrated with G27 lack of consistent force feedback and also quite big deadzone in middle of steering wheel which I don't think T300RS will have problems with which is one reason I would want to upgrade and also it having good developer support from SMS and PD which are main game developers games I will be playing using wheel.

Hopefully G27 becomes compatible, still remains to be seen if it does. You might get about $150 after costs or more than that if you sell G27. I would imagine you might be able to get the T300RS on discounted sale for $299 or something like that. Just will need to spend extra to get a shifter on top and also better pedals, maybe there will be some good bundle deals when it comes out.

Edit: Also just read this review of the T300RS and makes me even more attempted to upgrade very soon: Link

Last edited:
I would perhaps change the PSU for a silver certified, or even Bronze. For ease, look at possibly a modular PSU. I agree with others, a smaller SSD, say 128Gb, with a 1Gb SSHD. I would look at perhaps a lesser motherboard as well, because the PSU may take a little more money. Everything else is fine, it may appear overkill, but it will keep you relatively future-resistant. Try this:

NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1 Matte Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower $79.99
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD $84.99
ZOTAC ZT-70205-10P G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 780 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card $439.99
COOLMAX CUL-750B 750W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI/Crossfire ready Modular and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power Supply $69.99
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $152.99
MSI Z97-G55 SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $113.99
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz £339.99
2x Rosewill 120mm Computer Case Fan $11.98
ZALMAN CNPS10XPERFORMA 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler $32.99
Samsung 120GB 94K Read / 35K Write IOPS SATA 2.5 Inch 6Gb/s SSD $123.50

Subtotal: $1,450.40

DG_Silva,
Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the research, So, It looks like I was in the right Ball Park with Pricing.

I need to figure this all out so that I'm ready when PCARS is released.

I already pre-ordered the PS4 version, I wonder if I should pre-order the PC version or just wait.

No problem, that should more than keep you busy for any game you're going to throw at it.

I really can't see the LE or standard PC versions selling out.

I guess what I am looking for is a not necessarily a PC that is equivalent to a PS4, I have seen videos posted with all PCARS settings at Ultra and it looks amazing. If I invest in a PC just for PCARS, I want to be able to run on Ultra Settings, if I'm only going to get the performance of a PS4, then I can just use the PS4 that we currently own. Problem was if I use the PS4, I still have to invest in a wheel because my Logitech G27 is not compatible. If I go with a PC, I can use my G27, but of course there is the cost of the PC. If I can only get PS4 performance after spending over $1000, then I won't bother. I am trying to determine what to buy to get ultra settings with 60 fps without going broke.
I understand your predicament, not always easy to make the decision on which way to go.
My additional $.02.5, if you are a racer, I mean you're a car racing nut, the PC has a number of good racing sims so, while pCARS is definitely one to watch, you don't have to consider the investment is only for a single game. Your racing world would definitely open up to a number of possibilities.

I would imagine it will a lot better as it seems a more refined T500RS. I am getting frustrated with G27 lack of consistent force feedback and also quite big deadzone in middle of steering wheel which I don't think T300RS will have problems with which is one reason I would want to upgrade and also it having good developer support from SMS and PD which are main game developers games I will be playing using wheel.

Hopefully G27 becomes compatible, still remains to be seen if it does. You might get about $150 after costs or more than that if you sell G27. I would imagine you might be able to get the T300RS on discounted sale for $299 or something like that. Just will need to spend extra to get a shifter on top and also better pedals, maybe there will be some good bundle deals when it comes out.

Edit: Also just read this review of the T300RS and makes me even more attempted to upgrade very soon: Link

Wow, they make it sound like a really great product. Funny thing is, I always thought when I purchased a new wheel, it would be the Fanatec Clubsport Wheel with the BMW M3 GT2 or Porsche 918 RSR Rim and Clubsport V2 Pedal set. Now I feel like I am being forces to purchase something that I really didn't want.

Who knows, maybe the T300RS is as good as the review says and better then the Fanatec, I just know the Fanatec looks all of Amazing and authentic.

I did see some kind of count down going on Twitter for something New from Fanatec, I was thinking maybe a new Wheel for PS4, but that is just speculation on my part.

All this talk of PC components and Logitech wheels is ruining this thread. We have other treads in this sub forum for that stuff and entire sections for discussing PC components and builds.

This thread is supposed to be about Project Cars and it's been so polluted with the same discussions over and over about wheel compatability and PC builds that it's getting frustrating. Please discuss that stuff where it belongs. May I suggest:

Sim Racing Hardware
Computers and Technology
Or even in this sub forum:
Conundrum

Wow, they make it sound like a really great product. Funny thing is, I always thought when I purchased a new wheel, it would be the Fanatec Clubsport Wheel with the BMW M3 GT2 or Porsche 918 RSR Rim and Clubsport V2 Pedal set. Now I feel like I am being forces to purchase something that I really didn't want.

Who knows, maybe the T300RS is as good as the review says and better then the Fanatec, I just know the Fanatec looks all of Amazing and authentic.

I did see some kind of count down going on Twitter for something New from Fanatec, I was thinking maybe a new Wheel for PS4, but that is just speculation on my part.

It is for 99% a next gen wheel from Fanatec. Just wait 2 more days.

8d959669d2a0fe1e5f3691d52f5048.png

All this talk of PC components and Logitech wheels is ruining this thread. We have other treads in this sub forum for that stuff and entire sections for discussing PC components and builds.

This thread is supposed to be about Project Cars and it's been so polluted with the same discussions over and over about wheel compatability and PC builds that it's getting frustrating. Please discuss that stuff where it belongs. May I suggest:

Sim Racing Hardware
Computers and Technology
Or even in this sub forum:
Conundrum
I echo these sentiments. I find the discussions about PC builds and wheels invaluable myself, but we should make an effort to keep them in their proper thread so we, or anyone else looking for information, will be able to find it.

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a good review

Back