Project CARS General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 20,822 comments
HYPE
11218200_10205629990861787_3805573698731081749_o.jpg

It's not 60fps in the same way that GT6 and GT5 aren't 60fps. They all try, and they mostly succeed, but there's a non-trivial amount of times when they're pretty far from it.

That's fine, it is what it is. At least with pCARS the conditions for serious frame rate drops seem to be pretty severe, and not likely to be encountered during "normal" gameplay. But let's not pretend that it's hard locked at 60 in the way that games like FM are, because it just isn't.

Well, it is for those of us on PC with decent hardware, but it seems pretty clear that isn't the case on console.

You can be happy with the performance as it is and that's fine. Many people are happy with the graphical performance of GT5 and 6 too. But let's not start of by bull:censored:ing ourselves about the performance before the game is even legitimately released.
I just go on 60fps by the fact it achieves that. If PCARS had grids of 12 and no weather it would be a constant 60 most likely, so I like to be fair and consider this factor.

Last edited:
Thanks but I don't think I'm qualified for the task. I would consider this early thoughts on the game rather than a proper review.

It has been an hour and I am sleepy but because I have been awake since 5am due to work... It is fun I have only done one race with an SLS with 30 odd opponents and it was fun, fun, fun. Now I have been hotlapping in Catalunya with a Formula A and it is true what I have read before driving wise it is easier than Forza or other games but it is dificult to be fast. I mean I had no trouble keeping the car on the road ( in Forza some cars are like dancing on ice), driving felt natural and intuitive but I was not fast. Judging breaking points for some reason was easier as well. Ok that is it for now, remember I am a bit sleepy and very tired. I think you will enjoy the game a lot my friend. :cheers:

Edit: tired sleepy typos

Haha of course, I don't mean a professional review and brake down, just curious how it performs on xbox, I've read a hundred ps4 reviews, have downloaded my preload for both Xbox and ps4, but not seen many Xbox reviews? Mine unlocks in 6 hours, so I'll know then I suppose.

My wheel is screaming to be used.

I don't mind if there are some frame drops, I'm not a big fan of tearing though, although I don't suspect I'll ever be involved in a 45 car race, in the rain, that's to much work for me :D so I'm sure it'll be fine. Anyone worrying about that should really consider how often they will actually be in that circumstance, I'm guessing not many.

Even now most of my races are with the guys over at 2old2play and I stick to who I know, I don't think there are even 45 of us online at any given time :D

Last edited:
Let's be honest, what would you be more disappointed about: a racing game with 20 ai no rain or night, or a 40ai game with rain, night but a few frame drops? Personally I would rather have the full grid
It's more than a few drops. Frame rate can go down to 30fps if there's rain and many cars on screen.

Even with a single car on screen, performance during rain is bad:
Eurogamer
With no other driver in sight, a cruise around a soaked Brands Hatch circuit has the final bends run at 45fps on Xbox One, while PS4 takes the lower end of 50fps. And once the pit-stop and stands are in view, this number goes even lower still, where both drop to the 40-50fps range, while the cadence of tearing becomes increasingly more aggressive.

Maybe I need to stay off of gtplanet until the 12th.:lol: But I can't help it. Have fun with the game everyone:cheers:

I TOTALLY agree. I told myself yesterday that I'd stay away from this place and youtube until I have the game on the 12th and here I am sitting here browsing the site and watching videos on Youtube! It's gonna be a long week waiting to be able to play.

My TV is only 720p (has a really good quality picture though), so I'm hoping that I won't get as many frame rate issues as those running the game in 1080p.

If the problem is really bothering you, try dropping the PS4 to 720p & see if that helps.

👍

What happen to whether a game is fun or not? I mean that's why we play video games in the first place isn't it, too have fun.

Yep, and that's exactly what I'm going for. If I can have a good time with my friends and have some great racing going on then I coulnd't care less about whether or not another console gets a few more FPS or my version doesn't look as good as a PC with Titan cards running it. Forza 5 ran at 60fps and looked great, but it was boring to me.

Regarding the framerate...pick two:
  • 60 frames per second
  • 45 car grids, dynamic weather and time of day, etc.
  • Higher quality models and textures, more GPU-taxing effects, higher screen resolution, etc.
On PC you can have it all with enough hardware grunt. On consoles, there's no other excuse but making the game too pretty, pushing the balance on framerate vs quality. Blame the inflated standards people have for graphic detail and fidelity. Gamers brought it upon themselves. :indiff:

VBR
My TV is only 720p (has a really good quality picture though), so I'm hoping that I won't get as many frame rate issues as those running the game in 1080p.

If the problem is really bothering you, try dropping the PS4 to 720p & see if that helps.

👍
the game itself is rendered in 1080 and the console downscales to 720 for your tv, I doubt the resolution will make any difference at all

the game itself is rendered in 1080 and the console downscales to 720 for your tv, I doubt the resolution will make any difference at all

It does make a difference in GT6, so I'm guessing it might in P CARS. Are you absolutely sure that the game is rendered in 1080p if the PS4 is set to 720p?

VBR
It does make a difference in GT6, so I'm guessing it might in P CARS. Are you absolutely sure that the game is rendered in 1080p if the PS4 is set to 720p?
no but they surely developed it with 1080p in mind. the console chooses the output. the same as a tv does with upscaling, or a blu ray player. but then they're only as good at scaling as the machine allows, some are better than others. perhaps GT6 doesn't have a native resolution of 1080p and upscales to it instead, so when you play it on a lower res tv it looks good? someone else will have to help me out with that one.
but try it, let us know the results

VBR
Xbox version looks quite decent at 900p.
PS4 performs slightly better with 1080p. I wonder if the PS4 version was programmed with 900p in mind how much better performance it would have.

I just go on 60fps by the fact it achieves that. If PCARS had grids of 12 and no weather it would be a constant 60 most likely, so I like to be fair and consider it this way.

And if had some ham I could make a ham and cheese sandwich, if I had some cheese.

You're not being fair, you're setting your own standards and then having a go at anyone who doesn't agree with your totally arbitrary definition of "60fps". Which happens to not be the same definition a lot of people would have in mind when they ask "so does it run at 60fps?"

I happen to agree with you that it's not a big deal. It's unlikely to seriously affect the way I'm going to play the game. I just don't agree that because it's not a big deal we should therefore lie about the game's graphical performance. 60fps with the occasional big drop to sub-30 is not the same as 60fps.

I think that rational people are able to make their own minds up about whether frame drops are a big deal to them or not with accurate information about the game beforehand. I think most people would probably rather not be misled by someone claiming that the game is "60fps" when the reality is that it's 60fps most of the time, as long as you avoid certain conditions that most players will run into one way or another.

This is me saying this as someone who bought into the project very early on, and has been playing it pretty much all the way through. It's a great game, but like any game it has some flaws. I don't think the answer to that is to try and gloss over them. I think the answer is to be honest about where the game has issues, and then let people decide for themselves whether all the great things about the game are worth the minor problems that they're going to encounter.

And if had some ham I could make a ham and cheese sandwich, if I had some cheese.

You're not being fair, you're setting your own standards and then having a go at anyone who doesn't agree with your totally arbitrary definition of "60fps". Which happens to not be the same definition a lot of people would have in mind when they ask "so does it run at 60fps?"

I happen to agree with you that it's not a big deal. It's unlikely to seriously affect the way I'm going to play the game. I just don't agree that because it's not a big deal we should therefore lie about the game's graphical performance. 60fps with the occasional big drop to sub-30 is not the same as 60fps.

I think that rational people are able to make their own minds up about whether frame drops are a big deal to them or not with accurate information about the game beforehand. I think most people would probably rather not be misled by someone claiming that the game is "60fps" when the reality is that it's 60fps most of the time, as long as you avoid certain conditions that most players will run into one way or another.

This is me saying this as someone who bought into the project very early on, and has been playing it pretty much all the way through. It's a great game, but like any game it has some flaws. I don't think the answer to that is to try and gloss over them. I think the answer is to be honest about where the game has issues, and then let people decide for themselves whether all the great things about the game are worth the minor problems that they're going to encounter.
I don't think we should lie about a constant 60fps? :confused:

I have 4 files downloading from PSN at the moment. UK
Project Cars.
Project Cars update file.
Limited edition upgrade.
Digital pre-order pack.

Edit sorry make that 5 files missed the main one out Project Cars application data

Well over 20 GB In total

Last edited:
It's a great game, but like any game it has some flaws. I don't think the answer to that is to try and gloss over them. I think the answer is to be honest about where the game has issues, and then let people decide for themselves whether all the great things about the game are worth the minor problems that they're going to encounter.
Agreed. And it's no different on PC, as already mentioned by me and a few others in the past few weeks several times: running a large grid (e.g. 56 cars) with thunderstorm at night will reduce frame rates significantly on PC also.

I decided I won't bother with reducing detail if it's only in a few specific scenarios, which I'm not playing most of the times. And it's still running quite acceptable on my PC, so no biggie. But as said before: mileage may very with other systems/specs.

That's perspective:tup:👍 It's fine to compare game performance to Forza or DC...with 16 cars on track in Forza during the day, and 12 cars on track and a 30fps cap when comparing to DC. The computing power for huge grids + weather + 60 fps are enormous and frankly I thought they would limit the grids to 16-24 maximum to achieve this. Giving console players the option of up to 45 cars is stellar and I doubt many people will complain about the frame rates in a very specific situation because most of us understand what hardware limitations are.
yeah...I'd rather have a 20 car grid than 40 and sloppy frame rate....but I will keep my final thoughts to myself until I have played the game tomorrow...

I don't think we should lie about a constant 60fps? :confused:

I saw you calling it 60fps, without provisos, and making excuses for why the game should be labelled as 60fps compared to FM5, which actually does manage to maintain damn near 60fps in all conditions.

I saw you coming back at someone who pointed out that it was only 60fps sometimes.

It's a lie of omission. You can't just say "it's 60fps" and leave it there when you know that people will assume that means a reasonably consistent 60 under all conditions.

If you agree that we shouldn't lie about it, then let's label it like Gran Turismo should have been labelled. 60fps most of the time in normal gameplay, with noticeable dips when there is major weather or large amounts of cars on the screen, and major dips when there is both.

Agreed. And it's no different on PC, as already mentioned by me and a few others in the past few weeks several times: running a large grid (e.g. 56 cars) with thunderstorm at night will reduce frame rates significantly on PC also.

I decided I won't bother with reducing detail if it's only in a few specific scenarios, which I'm not playing most of the times. And it's still running quite acceptable on my PC, so no biggie. But as said before: mileage may very with other systems/specs.

Agreed. I'm on PC too, and I'll be doing the same.

I actually like that they optimised it for career mode fields, but left in the option for really big grids on console with the associated performance drop if the player wants. They could have just capped fields at 20 on console and been done with it.

yeah...I'd rather have a 20 car grid than 40 and sloppy frame rate....but I will keep my final thoughts to myself until I have played the game tomorrow...
And there are thousands like you, but at the same time there are thousands that have the opposite opinion. The great thing about Project CARS is that nobody gets excluded.

EDIT: Something about great minds think alike or something like that. :lol:

Back