Project CARS GTP Wishlist

How about some Can-Am cars? I don't know any game featuring a good grid of Can-Am cars. For those who doesn't know: Can Am cars are sports prototype racing cars which raced in late 60's and 70's. They were the fastest and most technologically advanced racecars of their time.

For example:
Shadow DN2 Turbo with twin turbocharged Chevrolet 8.0l V8 putting 1200bhp&1330nm to wheels while weighting only 750kg.
Shadow-DN2-Chevrolet-Turbo.jpg

And the Porsche 917/30 aka. Turbopanzer. Twin turbocharged 180 degree V12 which can produce around 1580bhp with full boost :eek: And since it weights only 850kg, it is like a rocet on wheels :D
Porsche-917-30.jpg

It is said that it can go from 0-100kmh (0-62mph) in 1.9 seconds and 0-320kmh (0-200mph) in 10.9 seconds. 0-320 about as fast as my car can go from 0-100... not bad. Of course it needs skilled driver to do that ;)

Formula E?
FormulaE-Spark-Renault-SRT-01E-05.jpg

No offence intended to you and I'm sorry to go a bit off topic here but I really hope SMS don't waste time on Forumla E class. In real life it will really be the death of motorsport for me. Decent sound feedback to the driver is so much more exhilerating for all involved. In a game, from a driving perspective, it is another step removed from reality when we're already missing the g-forces and fear factor making for a lesser experience. To counter this loss of sensation in real life maybe the FIA will add an aroma emitter that increases the level of a small reserve of personal biowaste gases gently piped to the driver's helmet as they accelerate. Virtual Reality headset manufacturers get ready.

This sounds truly dreadful

How about a series of windmills atop the car harvesting even more energy*

dwfttw-vehicle.jpg

I can see that Gran Turismo/FIA tournament being based on this.

Sorry again /off at a tangent

If you don't like the way it sounds through much of that video, don't mount your inner ear to the chassis of a Formula E like a vibrating onboard camera.

This test session gives a fairer impression of what actually reaches your eardrums:

If you don't like the way it sounds through much of that video, don't mount your inner ear to the chassis of a Formula E like a vibrating onboard camera.

This test session gives a fairer impression of what actually reaches your eardrums:

It's still awful. Truly, dreadful. A complete waste of energy. If that's our only future then it's better consigning these expensive golf karts to the bin, giving professional drivers a console and letting them race online in PCars. It's a nice proof of concept. It proves you can design and race electric cars. It also proves to me that they are they are worthless as a major attraction in their current format.

It's still awful. Truly, dreadful. A complete waste of energy. If that's our only future then it's better consigning these expensive golf karts to the bin, giving professional drivers a console and letting them race online in PCars. It's a nice proof of concept. It proves you can design and race electric cars. It also proves to me that they are they are worthless as a major attraction in their current format.
I tend to agree with you, the sound is truly awful, an entire grid would just sound atrocious.

A bit harsh considering they haven't even started the series yet, electric cars are a rapidly becoming more appealing.
I'd be shocked if it became anything more than a novelty, at best a supporting race series to a captive audience there for the real race cars. I'm sure the powers that be will market it as the next-great-thing, at least enough to please the tree-huggers. The start of the "race" in one of the videos above sounds just like the start of an RC car race:lol:

I could not agree more. I can't think of anything more boring than to be at a track and watching these race. Electric cars belong on a slotted track or an RC competition, not a real race track.

I'd be shocked if it became anything more than a novelty, at best a supporting race series to a captive audience there for the real race cars. I'm sure the powers that be will market it as the next-great-thing, at least enough to please the tree-huggers. The start of the "race" in one of the videos above sounds just like the start of an RC car race:lol:

I could not agree more. I can't think of anything more boring than to be at a track and watching these race. Electric cars belong on a slotted track or an RC competition, not a real race track.

I agree to some degree. However if the investment keeps coming (and it will) then I can see such race series taking off. Remember racing is not about the type of car, or the sounds they make. It's about drama, racing wheel to wheel and OMG moments.

I'm not saying Formula E is going to be the next big thing... and I'm probably not going to watch the races when they are on. But say I catch a highlights one evening, and the racing between drivers is actually good... I'm hardly going to refuse to watch the racing because there's no engine sound.

Personally, my favourite race series at the moment are BTCC and GP2. They are both live on TV here in the UK, and the racing ALWAYS delivers. They aren't my favourite series because of the cars involved or what sounds they make. Hell I don't really like open wheel racing, yet GP2 is frickin amazing this season.

Apparently, McLaren and Audi have put restrictions on allowable liveries in the licensing deals. However, at least for PC, there'll be a huge amount of user created liveries anyway :)

Apparently, McLaren and Audi have put restrictions on allowable liveries in the licensing deals. However, at least for PC, there'll be a huge amount of user created liveries anyway :)
Yeah I'm not a PC player so that doesn't help. :lol:

That's okay, I'll just drive the excellent BMW Z4 GT3 then. :sly:

I'm surprised there's still no word on custom liveries on consoles (especially Wii U with the stylus). Even basic colors/patterns like GRID or PGR4 would be welcome.

For the Audi and McLaren, the official works/customer teams liveries will be recreated by the dev artists, so there are more coming, don't worry.

^ Yes, we will get a good selection of official liveries so we're basically good. The limitations seems to be on non-official ones; the Manager tier members get one livery each in the game, and McLaren and Audi is off limits for this, so... But yeah, no worries indeed, there will be plenty liveries either way :)

I wish an online leaderboard for every car/track combination, exactly like they did in GT5P. And online leaderboards should be with stock cars, so no setup gurus should have a chance too.

I wish an online leaderboard for every car/track combination, exactly like they did in GT5P. And online leaderboards should be with stock cars, so no setup gurus should have a chance too.
I think if you are talented enough to set your car up properly to win, why shouldn't you be allowed to be on top of the leaderboards. I mean that's how it is in real life, if you don't have a well set up car then you aren't going to do as well as the guy who has his car dialled in perfectly.

I think if you are talented enough to set your car up properly to win, why shouldn't you be allowed to be on top of the leaderboards. I mean that's how it is in real life, if you don't have a well set up car then you aren't going to do as well as the guy who has his car dialled in perfectly.

They could add a stock leaderboard along with a leaderboard for tuned cars, that way everyone would be catered for.

Because so you can compete with others 1:1 who have the exact same car and setup and have no advantage because they know how to setup a car. I wish in Formula 1, every driver would have the exact same car/hp/setup. So we would see who is really a good driver and who profited from the overpower of the car.

I mean, look at Sebastian Vettel. He acted like he is the biggest mofo @ F1 for the last 4 years because the Red Bull was so "overpowered" in comparison to the other cars. And now when his car is not competitive enough, he is only crying. Where Danny Ricciardo is not crying and won 2 races this season. I think Hamilton and Alonso are the best F1 drivers at the moment. Unfortunately the Ferrari is pretty worse. But still, Alonso is doing the best he can.

All I mean is, when everybody has the exact same car, you really can see who is fast and who not.

I hate all this DRS and Kers and all that strategies in F1. Let them fight each other like men, like in the early days.

I agree with @McKiernan, 1 leaderboard for stock cars and 1 for tuned.

Because so you can compete with others 1:1 who have the exact same car and setup and have no advantage because they know how to setup a car.

Just because two drivers use the same car with the same set up doesn't mean neither driver has an advantage. If the car's default set up favors the style of one driver, then that driver will have an advantage. Being able to set up a car to your liking is actually more fair in my opinion.

I'm in favor of a spec racing option with a default setup or minimal settings. I'm a driver foremost, and while I understand how to set up a car, I dislike spending a lot of time fiddling with it, especially when the game offers a wide range of values that could seriously compromise the car. If the "maximum" and "minimum" values are within a reasonable range, it's easier to be satisfied.

When I'm not as fast against other players, I've always tried to better myself as a driver instead of heading to the garage. I think that's served me well over the years.

Because so you can compete with others 1:1 who have the exact same car and setup and have no advantage because they know how to setup a car. I wish in Formula 1, every driver would have the exact same car/hp/setup. So we would see who is really a good driver and who profited from the overpower of the car.

I mean, look at Sebastian Vettel. He acted like he is the biggest mofo @ F1 for the last 4 years because the Red Bull was so "overpowered" in comparison to the other cars. And now when his car is not competitive enough, he is only crying. Where Danny Ricciardo is not crying and won 2 races this season. I think Hamilton and Alonso are the best F1 drivers at the moment. Unfortunately the Ferrari is pretty worse. But still, Alonso is doing the best he can.

All I mean is, when everybody has the exact same car, you really can see who is fast and who not.

I hate all this DRS and Kers and all that strategies in F1. Let them fight each other like men, like in the early days.

I agree with @McKiernan, 1 leaderboard for stock cars and 1 for tuned.
The example you have used isn't just how the car is set up though, you are talking about F1 where there are different manufacturers with different engines.

As Awong stated, car set up is about setting up the hardware to suit the driving style of the driver and track you are on. Everyone has the exact same engine, suspension, gearbox, diff, aerodynamic advantage etc and so there is no unfair advantage. Everyone has the same ability to change a damper setting here, an anti roll bar adjustment there in order to set the car up as they please.

I don't think that's unfair at all. I go to the race track with my friend and we do time attack together. We both have the same model of GT-Four, similar modifications, but we run quite different set ups. I wouldn't make him change to my set up just to make it "fair" and I wouldn't want to change my set up either.

Racing is more than just driving, it's knowing how to set up the car. That's how it is in real life, if you don't know how to set up the car to get the most out of the car at the track you are on, or get the most out of your driving then you shouldn't expect to compete at the top of the field. That's just the way it is.

The example you have used isn't just how the car is set up though, you are talking about F1 where there are different manufacturers with different engines.

As Awong stated, car set up is about setting up the hardware to suit the driving style of the driver and track you are on. Everyone has the exact same engine, suspension, gearbox, diff, aerodynamic advantage etc and so there is no unfair advantage. Everyone has the same ability to change a damper setting here, an anti roll bar adjustment there in order to set the car up as they please.

I don't think that's unfair at all. I go to the race track with my friend and we do time attack together. We both have the same model of GT-Four, similar modifications, but we run quite different set ups. I wouldn't make him change to my set up just to make it "fair" and I wouldn't want to change my set up either.

Racing is more than just driving, it's knowing how to set up the car. That's how it is in real life, if you don't know how to set up the car to get the most of your driving then you shouldn't expect to compete at the top of the field. That's just the way it is.

Ok that F1 was a bad example from me. I know what you mean. Simple setups like gears and wings are ok. But the deeper stuff is too much for me and as @Wolfe said, I dont want to spent hours in the garage. Instead, I want to get better on the track by myself with my drivingskills and not with harder dampers and all that stuff...

Ok that F1 was a bad example from me. I know what you mean. Simple setups like gears and wings are ok. But the deeper stuff is too much for me and as @Wolfe said, I dont want to spent hours in the garage. Instead, I want to get better on the track by myself with my drivingskills and not with harder dampers and all that stuff...
And nobody is saying you can't do that - you just shouldn't expect to be at the top of the leaderboard, that's all. Doesn't mean you can't still be happy with your lap time and keep working to improve it.

In Live for Speed, I was satisfied just making the top 3-5 in multiplayer. I would generally end up in a zone kind of by myself, way behind the two or three fastest drivers and well ahead of the remainder of the pack. I have more patience for tweaking now than I used to, but unless the car has an existing issue worth dialing out, I probably won't bother. In the usual GT/Forza-style game, I just slap on a part and run with it.

Come to think of it, isn't this game going to restrict tuning to realistic settings based on the type of car and what options you would have on the real thing? Certain cars (roadcars for example) ought to even the playing field between tweakers and drivers, as @Sele1981 and I would like.

And nobody is saying you can't do that - you just shouldn't expect to be at the top of the leaderboard, that's all. Doesn't mean you can't still be happy with your lap time and keep working to improve it.

Whatever. My wish for the game, please leaderboards with stock setup for every driver/car. And then another leaderboard for tuning fans.

I'd like to see both stock and tuned but if there happens to be only one, then untuned for sure. You need to put a lot of time into a game to really figure out the subtle nuances of tuning, and I'd like to be able to just pick cars out the garage and go racing/driving to compete in TT's rather than spend hours trying to figure everything out just to run a few competitive hotlaps.

Having both tuned and untuned leaderboards or a sort option with a single leaderboard would satisfy everyone I think.

Agreed, having the option of stock and tuned leaderboards is the best. My preference would be for stock if there was only one set of leaderboards. I want to be tested as a driver first and foremost and tuning can take a lot of time.

Hopefully the engineer assistance will help with tuning. Given the option though I'd love to be able to download others tunes who have decided to make them public. I'll just never have enough interest to make advanced setups. Basic rudimentary changes are my limit

Surely tuning of your race car in a racing simulator should be considered commonplace. I can't think of one real life racing series where teams don't make adjustments to the setup from track to track. Are you non-tuning guys going to go through the career without making adjustments to your car from circuit to circuit? You won't run the same aero at Spa and Monaco, will you?

Although I see the appeal of completely stock racing I just don't see how it fits in this title.

Back