Project CARS - Hardware recommendation on PC

@crowhop - yeah going with i7 for sure! spoke to others, friends, shops and family tech guys, all said go with i7
Have you thought about an Xeon equivalent? I have a 1231v3 running and never was in trouble. Much better bang/buck :) Only downside is the missing OC support (even tho Ive seen OC :confused:) and the missing iGPU 👍

Last edited:
Have you thought about an Xeon equivalent? I have a 1231v3 running and never was in trouble. Much better bang/buck :) Only downside is the missing OC support (even tho Ive seen OC :confused:) and the missing iGPU 👍

Xeon processors are optimized for workstation and reliability, so don't expect overclocking. Also has ECC memory support, which Core i5 and i7 processors don't. If you don't want to overclock, have the money and want a reliable, business-class computer, then Xeons are the way to go. Most people will stick with Intel Core processors though.

The only logical sense I would do a Xeon build is an LGA 2011-3 build consisting of (currently) an E5-1650 v3 processor (six cores, 12 threads, similar to i7-5930K) mated to a X99 "workstation" board (that is, ASRock or ASUS board that can support Xeon processors, ECC memory, and a flurry of PCI Express lanes!).

HCK
This might be a good place to ask my question as its kind of related:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-wii-u-xbox-one.261206/page-392#post-10544145

Basically,
I'm gonna grab a cheap laptop i5 860m to play PCars on (looks pretty much identical to the alpha spec) and from everything I have seen (videos etcmove in post) the Alienware alpha and any other 860m should be able to run 1080/60 med/high.

But lots of people "say" it's not possible but have no evidence?
The 860m appears to be a 750ti and GPUBOSS also verify this.
This is also above minimum spec, and actually falls into recommended spec?

Does anyone have a 860m that they could test Pcars on, because everything I see on YouTube etc shows it hitting 1080/60 ULTRA on games like Dirt 3, Grid 2, Grid Autosport, and hits 38fps in 1080/60 battlefield 4 ULTRA...

All of this leads me to believe that it will indeed run PCars at 1080/60 med/high

There are also videos of assetto corsa at 1080/60 etc..

I don't have a 860m but I have a chance to grab one cheap specifically to play cars on (until my fanatic kit is compatible with consoles) so I was going to buy the laptop just for pcars (as its cheap).. But then someone here said it would play pcars only on LOW with 1 car on screen and no weather enabled.

But I'm not sure they are right, I think they are guessing?.. How can a card that runs all these games at 1080/60 ultra not run PCars at least on medium or high?...

If that alpha is the same spec, then it should I deed play PCars 1080/60 med/high.
I'd love to find someone with a 860m who could test it. Even SMS themselves should, considering the alpha and the 860m are the basis for a lot of steam machines... And there game is steam os compatible etc...

It would clarify a lot of things for many people.

For example, here is a very old unoptimised build of pcars, running on the 750ti (which the 860m is recognised as) hitting a max 50+Fps and just dipping below 40... So surly, with a better cpu, driver updates, engine optimisation etc this same card (the one that's in the Alienware alpha and this laptop) should at least hit 1080/60 on medium?

The more I did, the more I think those saying that the laptop 860m chip (and by proxy the alpha chip) won't run PCars are downright wrong... Just plain wrong in all aspects.

I'm seeing an overwhelming amount of info demonstrating that it will hit 1080/60 with a mix of med/high settings.

If I had access or the seller had access I would test it myself... I can get access to hardware but not the game :-/

Since I have a GTX 980, and the fact that this was run on a GTX 750 Ti...maybe I don't need a Titan X after all. For a computer that has an Intel Core i7-860 from five years ago and still running well, maybe I can it 60 fps on high settings in full screen. Not playing triple screen setup though - I'd rather play on one monitor while another would be running TweetDeck or something. Not ready for three-monitor or 4K setup yet - I'll have to wait until 2016 at the earliest, when I'm planning to buy a new computer to replace the one that I've been using since 2010.

Project CARS, at the moment, could be the most demanding game I might have once it comes out. Right now The Crew (Ubisoft) is the one more demanding, although there has been a bit of negative reviews about how the graphics are "not next-gen enough". I believe Project CARS will be "next-gen enough" to make it demanding. Other games I want to consider playing - RollerCoaster Tycoon World and Cities: Skylines - I don't think it's as graphically demanding as Project CARS or any AAA game you can think of.

Last edited:
The GTX 980 is installed. Had to immediately go to Can You Run It? and check the results.
I am more than pleased...

s3EKQOZ.png

Last edited:
I'm going to build a gaming PC sometime soon, and Project CARS would be one of my main focuses, however my budget is £300-£350. What would be the best combination (what should I spend most on? what is the best for that price?)

Do the builds on this site seem any good?

I'm going to build a gaming PC sometime soon, and Project CARS would be one of my main focuses, however my budget is £300-£350. What would be the best combination (what should I spend most on? what is the best for that price?)

Do the builds on this site seem any good?
What @blowfishrulez said:tup:👍 The builds you linked are ok videocard wise, 750Ti in your price range, but with only 4gb or ram, 250gb hard drive and no operating system. The $600 build looks pretty good but still with no OS.

If I get a PS4 I can't play World of Tanks on it. If I get an XBone I can't play Warthunder. But if I get a PS4 I can play GT7 and LBP4. But if I get an XBone I can play Forza. What a dilemma. However I need a PC because of it's other functions.

And I don't need too much space as on my current laptop I have only used 119.5 GB (considering I only play two games currently, would rise to 4 or 5)

NOTE: My budget is £300-£350 not $300-$350

Last edited:
Now, I just checked the system requirements for a GeForce GTX Titan X, and you might be surprised: :eek:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

PCI-Express-compliant motherboard with one dual-widthx16 graphics slot
One 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector
Minimum 600 W or greater power supply
300 MB of available hard-drive space
24 GB system memory (48 GB or higher recommended)
Microsoft Windows 8 and 8.1, Windows 7 or Windows Vista

Source: http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

Yep, that's right. 24GB of system memory is not just recommended - IT'S REQUIRED! :ouch:

My motherboard (P55 platform, 2009) can only support up to 16GB of memory!

Not only it's out of most of us' price range ($1,000), my computer cannot even handle the Titan X system requirements at all! Oh well, GTX 980 is still fine for me, the Titan X is an overkill graphics card for most of us (unless if you're going to do surround or 4K gaming).

But most importantly - Titan X is an absolute NO for me. My computer (at this moment, until I replace with new parts by, say, 2016?) isn't ready for it. (And by the time mid-2016 comes, we might see something similar to - or better than - Titan X performance! (Especially when we've got DirectX 12, and something from NVIDIA that could replace SLI - NVLink! Not to mention the upcoming HBM memory technology, and hopefully 20nm (or smaller) GPU manufacturing...)

Now, I just checked the system requirements for a GeForce GTX Titan X, and you might be surprised: :eek:

Yep, that's right. 24GB of system memory is not just recommended - IT'S REQUIRED! :ouch:

My motherboard (P55 platform, 2009) can only support up to 16GB of memory!

Not only it's out of most of us' price range ($1,000), my computer cannot even handle the Titan X system requirements at all! Oh well, GTX 980 is still fine for me, the Titan X is an overkill graphics card for most of us (unless if you're going to do surround or 4K gaming).

But most importantly - Titan X is an absolute NO for me. My computer (at this moment, until I replace with new parts by, say, 2016?) isn't ready for it. (And by the time mid-2016 comes, we might see something similar to - or better than - Titan X performance! (Especially when we've got DirectX 12, and something from NVIDIA that could replace SLI - NVLink! Not to mention the upcoming HBM memory technology, and hopefully 20nm (or smaller) GPU manufacturing...)
I don't think this is a big deal. People buying the Titan X will have 32gb of RAM at the least and if your system cannot handle the 32gb of RAM, you do not need to buy that GPU.

Many online reviews of the Titan X were done with only 16GB of system memory, so I don't think it's a requirement per se, but only if you intend to max out the 12GB of VRAM on the card.

I haven't been active in the WMD forums or in actual testing for a long time, so if you don't mind I'll ask here.
What are the most performace heavy options in the game when it comes to CPU load? The minimum system requirement is a Core 2 duo CPU and I'm having a hard time believing it will be playable on it. I have a Q9500@3.2Ghz and hit a CPU bottle neck everytme. Changing graphics options meakes almost no difference. Am I missing something here? Obviously more cars on track will be more demanding, but I have 100% load on all four cores with only my car on track. Especially around the pits area.
Trying to decide if I should ask for refund and get it for PS4 and deal with the wheel situation there...

Cores being used 100% is not necessarily a bad thing. What's the rest of your system, and what's the FPS at what detail level?

A factory overclocked GTX750 Ti with 2G, 2x2G DDR2 RAM and playing on 1080p. It is a weak system and I'm aware of it, but I'm not going to buy a new one in the near future.
As i said changing graphical setting does little difference. What happens is that I get 60fps on some parts of the tracks and sub 30 on others, mostly around the pits, but not only. Thats at about medium to high settings and on those occasions (30fps) my CPU is at 100% and the GPU at 50%. At 60fps it the other way around. It is a CPU bottle neck, but it the a way to reduce it...

Kind of ironic, all that gaming power and it comes with a single 1080P 27" monitor.:sly:
No kidding. I wonder what the rock bottom price is for that system. He could keep the monitor as that really is a ~$175 wasted addon.
That 5930k chip...such a waste of money.

Indeed, a 5820k haswell-e can easily be overclocked, allowing for a top notch system with SLI and bigger SSD for around 2.5k€.

Also, two graphics cards is more than enough, and the x16 vs x8 PCI Express debate also tells that it's insignificant as well (for now). Scaling on three or four right now with SLI (until DirectX 12 goes into full swing, and NVIDIA implements NVLink bus interface onto consumer desktops) isn't that great compared to two cards.

Hi guys

I came back to show you my htpc gamer that I assembled. It´s a I5 4590S, GTX 960 Mini, SSD 250GB and 16 GB-1800 Kingston Xfury. I tested with a Pcars old version (Build 834) and I am getting 70 FPS average with almost all settings in high. I spent almost $850,00

Tell me what do you think. Will I get to play PCARS and other Racing Games for some years with good results?

Send your feedback

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20150306_143303208.jpg
    IMG_20150306_143303208.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20150306_185606402.jpg
    IMG_20150306_185606402.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20150307_134415162.jpg
    IMG_20150307_134415162.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20150307_191141535.jpg
    IMG_20150307_191141535.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20150307_224951947.jpg
    IMG_20150307_224951947.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20150307_225129461.jpg
    IMG_20150307_225129461.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 7
Hi guys

I came back to show you my htpc gamer that I assembled. It´s a I5 4590S, GTX 960 Mini, SSD 250GB and 16 GB-1800 Kingston Xfury. I tested with a Pcars old version (Build 834) and I am getting 70 FPS average with almost all settings in high. I spent almost $850,00

Tell me what do you think. Will I get to play PCARS and other Racing Games for some years with good results?

Send your feedback

Thanks
You'll be ok for a while but things are changing so rapidly it's hard to say for how long. DX12 could be a real boon for gaming as well and make all our systems that much better. But then the next generation of games will be even more demanding. We'll still be able to play them of course, you might have to turn down some settings if you want to maintain your frame rates, like the rest of us...well most of us anyway:cheers:

That's a nice Mini-ITX build @Amauri 👍 The 960GTX is a good entry-level card that can still run most current/new racing games at 1080p/60FPS at fairly high detail. @mister dog also has one, and I think he quite enjoys playing Assetto Corsa with it.

That's a nice Mini-ITX build @Amauri 👍 The 960GTX is a good entry-level card that can still run most current/new racing games at 1080p/60FPS at fairly high detail. @mister dog also has one, and I think he quite enjoys playing Assetto Corsa with it.
Indeed, able to put everything on ultra with AC. Good to hear it seems like PCARS is no different :)

For driving games those are pretty irrelevant, but if you want to play FPSes, you'll want a good gaming model from Logitech, Razer or other manufacturer. They also have products tailored to specific genres (e.g. FPS, MMO, Strategy, etc.). What do you intend to use them for?

Will I be able to run ultra/full detail at 1080p over three screens with i7 5820k @ 4.0ghz, 32gb ram (Ddr4 quad channel 2800mhz) and 2x amd r2 290's? I just built the machine and I'm worried as everyone favours nvidia cards :/

i know to most this might sounds st*pid to ask, but i have been out of PC world for now 10years. what keyboard and mouse would you guys recommend?

I wouldn't use a keyboard to drive either. Driving with a keyboard feels awkward. I prefer playing racing games with a controller; I could use a steering wheel for a more realistic experience, but I would have to invest more, and I don't know how well I would do if I drive with a steering wheel, especially when the assists are off (!).

Back