Project CARS - Hardware recommendation on PC

Thinking of getting new graphics card after work today. Which would be preferable between the asus rog mars gtx 760(x2) vs asus strix gtx 960?

They are the same price, and I'm not too worried about extra power consumption that the rog mars would use. CPU is i5.

I'm not sure how the 760x2 would perform but I would be inclined to go with the 960 myself.

Of course a single 760 will work fine for the game.

Thinking of getting new graphics card after work today. Which would be preferable between the asus rog mars gtx 760(x2) vs asus strix gtx 960?

They are the same price, and I'm not too worried about extra power consumption that the rog mars would use. CPU is i5.

Seeing the chart here : http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/20-Index-1080p,3683.html

It seems that gtx760 x2 will gives you more performance

112.74 for 2x 760
vs
78.50 for a 960 strix.

That's at 1080p.

But then it's sli, which can be annoying sometimes. Works like a charm with PCars tho. I'm using 2x970 myself and I dont have any trouble.
One more things with sli, it's not that complicate to make it work but it can be a pain sometimes. If you dont feel like playing with your computer a bit, dont do it.

Last edited:
Then as said by @RX-7_FD3S: performance wise the dual 760 beats the 960 hands down. Mileage may vary per game though. Over here they're definitely not the same price, so if you can get it for the same price then go for it. It's basically 970 performance at 960 price. 👍

Question:

What are the absolute max settings for this game?
Obviously "Ultra" for the ones that are labeled as such, but there are a few others in which the best isn't at all obvious to me. I'm fairly confident my system can push it and I would really like to find out.

Question:

Obviously "Ultra" for the ones that are labeled as such, but there are a few others in which the best isn't at all obvious to me. I'm fairly confident my system can push it and I would really like to find out.

With everything on ultra, try a race at Bathurst, thunderstorm, at night, full grid of cars, cockpit view, start race at back of grid. How low does the FPS drop to?

780ti is about as powerful as a 970 so its not that impressive gfx card, but it sure was expensive when it was released :P

I don't know about you but nowadays I really don't think there is much graphical difference in games between max settings and at the lowest. Sure it would be nice to experience all things screwed up to the absolute max and still have a fluid experience, but we pc gamers are blessed with the option/freedom to choose what settings we want. so just take it down a notch and enjoy the game because it is almost as gorgeous as at max.

670Gtx
16GB
ssd
@ 58-90 fps online @ custom settings, car is ultra, effects are ultra, track high and some things I dont care about at med with ds2 @1920x1200 and sometimes 1920x1080p

blur effects and such distracting stuff off, blah

if only the game itself was as bug free as it looks and performs :P

With everything on ultra, try a race at Bathurst, thunderstorm, at night, full grid of cars, cockpit view, start race at back of grid. How low does the FPS drop to?
I run everything on max all the time. Lowest I've ever seen is 48. But my question was really centered on the other settings.

780ti is about as powerful as a 970 so its not that impressive gfx card, but it sure was expensive when it was released :P

I don't know about you but nowadays I really don't think there is much graphical difference in games between max settings and at the lowest. Sure it would be nice to experience all things screwed up to the absolute max and still have a fluid experience, but we pc gamers are blessed with the option/freedom to choose what settings we want. so just take it down a notch and enjoy the game because it is almost as gorgeous as at max.

670Gtx
16GB
ssd
@ 58-90 fps online @ custom settings, car is ultra, effects are ultra, track high and some things I dont care about at med with ds2 @1920x1200 and sometimes 1920x1080p

blur effects and such distracting stuff off, blah

if only the game itself was as bug free as it looks and performs :P
Pretty much what I run. Except nothing at medium I think, just high. Best performance/quality ratio and never drops below 60. With 780ti.

Question:

I really do not think there is a system out there that can run everything at max. There was talk on the forums about using the max AA setting of DS9X and the notion that it might require up to 4 Titans ganged together to handle it especially on the triple screen option and if those screens were 4k ..... may be awhile before there is a card on the market that could handle that.

I've started using the -dx11mt, -pthreads 4 and -skipcrowds command line parameters and noticed a nice 10FPS improvement in my game.

Back