Project IGNITION - Racing Simulator

• Thread starter ferrari gt
  • 160 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have contacted almost every car manufacturer listed in the beta car list. BMW, McLaren and Ford licences were acquired almost a year ago because they were all given us by the same company (sometimes, when it comes to licencing, you're talking not to the real car manufacturers but with different companies)
Nissan,Toyota and Renault will give us a licence for free.

Proof?

Emails would be great.

I still don't think these companies would give you a license for free. Take P.Cars for example; they still don't have a Nissan license, and yet you, a relatively unknown developer, was able to get it for free?

Companies such as Lamborghini and Ferrari are harder to talk with, they're not answering fast and they don't have their "hq's" in Russia to make thjs process a little more clear but still, lamborghini is interested in this project.

Just because they're interested in the project, it doesn't mean they'll just hand you the license and let you go nuts. Going back to Project CARS ('low budget' racing game, remember), they don't have a Ferrari license. Know why? Because apparently, it would cost SMS about half of their budget (though I heard this quite some time ago, don't quote me on this). That's 2.5 million dollars. How do you think you'll secure the Ferrari license with a $600 budget?

What is the name of this company that gave you a BMW, McLaren and Ford licence? Ford? Because you were talking to them directly in the last message.

I want to believe but, with that second response of his that seemingly contradicts his first response to this issue, things are looking a little bleaker than before.

A car company giving an indie dev a free license to use their vehicles? Improbable, but I love the idea and it arguably makes some degree of business sense. Ask a small indie dev to pay a license fee = Indie dev unable to pay and unable to include those vehicles in their game = no gain for the car company. Give them the license for free = indie devs include those vehicles in their game = free advertising for the car company, maybe even some good PR if news of their generosity spreads. But then again, most companies probably have their heads too far up their asses to realize this.

So back to reality...

It's not too late to redeem yourself, ferrari gt. Provide some concrete proof that you've acquired the licenses you say you have, and all's right with the world. Or if you haven't actually acquired those licenses, come clean about it and also change the game to fictional cars and tracks. You might get a slap on the peepee for AUP violation, but it's better to take that now than to risk possibly much worse consequenses by continuing down this path.

I'm rooting for this project, but answers are needed.

Well, here is my though on this.
Don't expect too much from these guys.

I used to work on a Racing Game project (My Racing Simulation thread) as the main developer and after some time of development ferrari gt asked me on private messages that he wanted to help me on the project.
He told me he had 200++ cars modeled. (I was like WT..)
Of course all of them was ripped from other games.

He even ripped models from my own game to manipulate them and create something else. :D

The guy also showed very poor skills when it comes to car modeling and poor knowledge of how a care should be integrated into a game.

The thing that pissed me the most is when he ripped one of the model of McLaren my friend made from scratch..
Then he made a 3d render out of it, compared it to our Realtime render in-game and said heroically
"THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO".
And posted the biased comparison on my own thead :D
You can check it out, it's still available :D

When he said that he get license for free, that is total ********.

My advice to all
Expect not much coming from this project.

My advice to Ferrari GT
@ferrari gt

Dude you seems to be passionate about what you do, that is good but i would recommend you to not tell other people things you will not be able to achieve.
Concentrate first on your 3D skills, you have many ripped models to study from...

Well that's disappointing. I thought this is going to be a great indie effort for a racing game, but the licensing issue is too obvious to ignore (how the hell did I miss it earlier :ouch:).

It's probably best for FerrariGT to 'fess up. Starting your own business with a lie is always a bad idea. I'm sure your skills could be utilised just as well in a smaller scope game with fictional cars. Copyright and lawyer stuff is really not to be messed with.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments *grabs popcorn*

Another curiosity/issue is that these licenses are not written on your website anywhere. The only place you actually speak about cars has a glaring spelling error, "Mersedes". Manufacturers giving out licences have strict requests about what you do with their name, how you use their images on your website and so on.

The thing that pissed me the most is when he ripped one of the model of McLaren my friend made from scratch..
Then he made a 3d render out of it, compared it to our Realtime render in-game and said heroically
"THIS IS HOW YOU SHOULD DO".
And posted the biased comparison on my own thead :D
You can check it out, it's still available :D

So that's probably what he's doing then, ripping the cars but making adjustments/changes so they're not identical. Like that Lamborghini that looks very much like the GT PSP model, but with some added rally bits.

Well that's disappointing. I thought this is going to be a great indie effort for a racing game, but the licensing issue is too obvious to ignore (how the hell did I miss it earlier :ouch:).

It's probably best for FerrariGT to 'fess up. Starting your own business with a lie is always a bad idea. I'm sure your skills could be utilised just as well in a smaller scope game with fictional cars. Copyright and lawyer stuff is really not to be messed with.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments *grabs popcorn*

Same here with the ignoring licensing issue. Should of read more into that. I'll keep a eye out on this thread and see how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back