Project IGNITION - Racing Simulator

• Thread starter ferrari gt
  • 160 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
We would love to scan real cars,because It's the most accurate way to reproduce a car,but we can't afford that for various reasons.
We are using the most common method of modelling with blueprints and reference images.
We model a half of the car and then mirror it. This process might take a long time if the car is rare and uncommon,sometimes we actually have to draw our own blueprints.(For example,the Moskvich 412 and Toyota FT-1)
And sometimes we are using Gran Turismo Photomode to take some pictures of tricky places and textures.(For example,the Lamborghini Countach LP400)

Making a model is not a fast process at all,but since we're working in a small team,It's a bit faster,because while someone models a car,other members can prepare textures,search for engine data and other important things.
But even when the main works are finished,we have a lot of stuff to do. For example,we need to record engine sounds and make the car feel in the game like the real one,and It's pretty hard for us to do it.

We are doing our best to make cars look like the real ones even in the low-poly state for the mobile devices(For example,our cars don't have detailed interiors,and that makes the game run faster on older devices ) and we're using some professional tricks to achieve a higher level of detail on all platforms and devices.

Theese days,our member Dmitry is modelling the McLaren 650S!
However,he has a lot of work to do with this car before it can be tested in the game.
23vnfc9.png

We have a lot of news coming!

Team IGNITION
Thanks for the detailed response, good luck with the project. :)

Wow! I must say I'm impressed, this look awesome. Might try it out! :)

I couldn't help but notice, the outside of the track from the BRZ-demo is identical to one of the tracks in a drifting game available on Google Play. What's up with that?

Wow! I must say I'm impressed, this look awesome. Might try it out! :)

I couldn't help but notice, the outside of the track from the BRZ-demo is identical to one of the tracks in a drifting game available on Google Play. What's up with that?

Thank you! We're trying to make visuals look good on both High-end and Low-end devices!

As about tracks: We have a lot of tracks coming,like world-famous Brands hatch,laguna seca and even Nürburgring!
At the present moment we're using a "physics sandbox" map,Beta Brands Hatch and Silverstone raceway which was given to us by Vladimir,one of the developers of the drifting game.However,the track is not very accurate and has a lot of glitches,it will be re-made in future,but for small beta builds it's just enough. ;)
a4vgv8.png

Still looking forward to playing this game on my Vita hopefully.:D

A lot of work has to be done before the game will be accepted to be downloaded by everyone from the PSN,but the day will come...;)
2gvvnes.jpg

That's a good looking replica of Brands Hatch.

And a question about the Vita version: Will it have touch screen support?

Last edited:
Nice rendition of Brands! Will the tracks have elevation change? After the GT6 course maker I realize how worthless most real world tracks are without their ups and downs :lol:

Hello everyone!

Here's the big progress we've done since the last demo!

-New tire simulation system,now with surface detection and changable tires(Road,Slicks,Dirt)
-New gearbox system,now with redline detection and flames from exhaust!
-Fixed PS3 Controller support
-New Day/Night effects
-ALL-New Suspension system with different setups that allows us to simulate any type of suspension system on any surface!
-We are currently testing the rally mode

Check out the updated car list in the beginning of this Thread!

You can expect a new demo and a Big Announcment tommorow!

Nice rendition of Brands! Will the tracks have elevation change? After the GT6 course maker I realize how worthless most real world tracks are without their ups and downs :lol:

If you're talking about height differences on the road,different bumps and little jumps - It's all here ;)
10nhjev.png

Team IGNITION

If you're talking about height differences on the road,different bumps and little jumps - It's all here ;)

I'm talking about the big ups and downs. Paddock Hill bend is meaningless without its massive roller coaster feel. I got a bit worried there because the map looks flat. Good to know they're all there 👍

So, er, when are you expecting the lawsuits from manufacturers? Because there is no way you've licensed any of these cars in your game. On a similar note, how on earth are you going to get in on the Vita without licenses?

I've been wondering about that as well, as there are cars here that none of the AAA racing games have.

Well the website says the budget is $600 so yeah, clearly none of them are licensed, same for the tracks.

Maybe the licenses are different for indie games? Either way, if they are there, who cares how they got there?

Maybe the licenses are different for indie games? Either way, if they are there, who cares how they got there?
I believe it is the same.

"Yes. Their names, logos, and body designs are all trademarked and cannot be used in any capacity outside those explicitly allowed by trademark law, which almost certainly excluded use in your game. And expect to be completely incapable of acquiring those licenses for reasonable terms, as the licenses are generally very expensive and come with a mile long list of stipulations."

Taken from http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/qu...in-a-license-to-use-real-car-brands-in-a-game

It's not that I care how they got there, my point was the manufacturers are likely going to want to get them removed if this games picks up popularity and they find out about it. I don't know about the process of getting a game on Vita but there is no way they'll allow a game full of unlicensed cars on there, I'd have thought.

It's not that I care how they got there, my point was the manufacturers are likely going to want to get them removed if this games picks up popularity and they find out about it. I don't know about the process of getting a game on Vita but there is no way they'll allow a game full of unlicensed cars on there, I'd have thought.
That was what I was thinking. But, I would have thought they would have caught it by now.

Usually games like this go with names like 'Reffari Penzo' or something to that effect. Conversely, I've seen games on the google play store with real names, and I don't think a lot of these games would possibly have the money for licensing. Even if it comes out with fake names, I'd still be inclined to play it

That was what I was thinking. But, I would have thought they would have caught it by now.

Usually games like this go with names like 'Reffari Penzo' or something to that effect. Conversely, I've seen games on the google play store with real names, and I don't think a lot of these games would possibly have the money for licensing. Even if it comes out with fake names, I'd still be inclined to play it

Normally games that do that still have the legal funding to show that they're not impinging on "Look and Feel"... I'm not sure a $600 dollar budget would get away with "Strancia Latos"...

Fake names (and removing all badges) would be the best way to get the cars in without the licences.

Just removing the badges and changing names isn't enough, it's the car likeness that is protected by rights. Primarily of course to stop other car designers copying your models, but it applies to games as well. You have to modify the cars.

For tracks it's a little different. You can't copyright a layout of road (This is why there are no legal issues with the GT6 course maker) but of course you do have control to the name and branding. So that Brands Hatch up there would be fine if they gave it another name and removed all branding.

Well probably not, I hadn't heard of this game until I saw this thread. If/when it becomes more well known they will be getting legal letters pretty quickly I'd guess. I mean if something like Assetto Corsa showed off cars they didn't have licenses for they would have legal takedowns that same day.

Last edited:
Just removing the badges and changing names isn't enough, it's the car likeness that is protected by rights. Primarily of course to stop other car designers copying your models, but it applies to games as well. You have to modify the cars.

For tracks it's a little different. You can't copyright a layout of road but of course you do have control to the name and branding. So that Brands Hatch up there would be fine if they gave it another name and removed all branding.

Well probably not, I hadn't heard of this game until I saw this thread. If/when it becomes more well known they will be getting legal letters pretty quickly I'd guess. I mean if something like Assetto Corsa showed off cars they didn't have licenses for they would have legal takedowns that same day.
My brain believes you are correct. I just want them to be able to go through with this. Which will probably not happen. But we can hope

Surprised it took someone this long to shine a light on the licensing issue... I thought about saying something a while back, but was too lazy and figured someone else would bring it up soon anyway.

Fake names (and removing all badges) would be the best way to get the cars in without the licences.

I agree, go the GTA route with the car roster. As long as there's quantity, variety, and detail, I'll be happy.

And fantasy tracks are fine too, though some fantasy tracks with layouts similar to real tracks would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Body designs are still copyrighted, although I think most manufacturers would DGAF. (Edit: Tree'd)

Also OP, I am now really suspicious that you asked about ripping cars in GT Series forums earlier. The fact that the new cars (such as P1 GT3) does not appear to have cockpits makes me even suspicious - sure, you may have created your own cars, but this game currently uses ripped and stolen assets. Just look at the Gulf GT40 and the Kenmeri GT-R. The simracing community have enough with ripped cars as mods in their sims. And this will be going to be a commercial product, right? This is a bigger issue than the licensing issue Samus pointed out earlier. :rolleyes:

IIRC this was brought up on a previous project that ferrari gt was involved in, in the ludicrous claims thread.

Ludicrous Claim post

GTMini thread

If you look in the GT Series forums (GT PSP section especially) @ferrari gt asked questions and posted progresses regarding ripping cars from GT PSP, as well attempts from from GT3 and GT4. (He tried to rip a track from GT4 at some point.) Now look at the Gulf GT40 and the Kenmeri GT-R on the OP. :irked:

I didn't realise it was all linked to that old project. Does indeed smell very fishy, once again.

The models are definitely suspicious. I also note that ferrari_gt is 18. Not that a developer can't be that young, but yeah, teenager + $600, doesn't seem like the correct recipe.

Sorry about that, the thread caught my eye and after reading it I couldn't not question what was going on. Perhaps @ferrari gt will return and clear up what is actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back