Project R

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 929 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats you've made nice progress on Project-R since my last visit in here. Been watching the thread. Once again, glad to see a focus on sounds

Oh yeah--- that rig in that pic looks sweeeettttt 👍

While I will not be having any motion I think/confident my rig in looks when finished will blow that away. :sly: Oh and anyone wants to give me $28000 for it. I wont hesitate to sell you it, lol.

Bit fed up at the moment as funds are short with bills, holidays and knocking my pan in with 60hr working weeks for the past month. Still being your own boss has benefits of doing nothing at times. :)

While I will not be having any motion I think/confident my rig in looks when finished will blow that away. :sly: Oh and anyone wants to give me $28000 for it. I wont hesitate to sell you it, lol.

Bit fed up at the moment as funds are short with bills, holidays and knocking my pan in with 60hr working weeks for the past month. Still being your own boss has benefits of doing nothing at times. :)

Now that sounds tempting and all, but if I were to give you $28,000, then you would have an extra $5 for your self. :sly:

Tell me about it. I don't even have enough money to buy my wheel. Let alone the materials to make my rig. I'm going for PVC and Alluminium Plates. PVC is cheap! Hell, a 20 foot pipe of PVC is cheaper than 2 foot pipe! :lol:

ROFL!!! 28Gs!!! That's just insane... But definitely looks awesome. If you're going for that look latte, then I know I'll just drool looking at your pics :D

Oh mate this really is starting to look awesome. Been following this for ages and cant wait to see it progress some more. In some respects I will be gutted to see it finished because I think half the fun with a rig is the build and set up not the finished product and use.

Oh mate this really is starting to look awesome. Been following this for ages and cant wait to see it progress some more. In some respects I will be gutted to see it finished because I think half the fun with a rig is the build and set up not the finished product and use.

It is nice to read such comments.
The journey has indeed been a long one, it is a shame it took so long to really get started however it would never of been the way it now will be, had the delays etc not of happened.

Im enjoying this phase of slowly but surely continuing the work. Its really a done when its done project now with no deadline date for completion. Would love to have it ready for FM4 but this will depend on funds and other factors. However I really am itching to have all the audio/tactile tested and get over the uncertainity of issues vibration may or may not be. Once that is past and the monitor/wheel stand section is done the rest is really mostly cosmetic.

Last edited:
Great looking so far been watching this build also. To help vibration you could use biscuits and wood glue on all the joints. No good at posting links or pics but if you google it im sure you can find it. You wont be able to take it apart but it will be rock solid. In the states you can rent the tool for a day or two(few bucks) not sure anywhere else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UjtIS0Rag&feature=related found this

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Thanks for some of the ideas in the recent posts. Looking to get a little bit of work done and seeing about cutting the holes for the subs this week. Also get the "Fatmat" material put on the inside. Been a little reluctant to do this but it has to be done to move forward regardless of the outcome.

Continued Tactile Testing
Was doing more tactile testing this week at home. Finding that having L/R tactile either side of the wheel has very little effect within the wheel rim. I get a good effect from the engine noise or say feeling the beat in music/menus from a tactile connected to the "Centre" channel which is in contact with the T500RS casing. This can be felt through the wheel rim giving some life in the wheel in your hands. However trying to get stereo transition effects felt in the wheel rim isn't really detectable.

Maybe it's partly down to the temporary shelf used to attach to the wheel but from this testing I think I will likely only use the single "Centre" channel tactile for the wheel shelf. Of course will relook at this during the proper build and if the results are much the same then I can look at using these n the seat section to enhance more the stereo transitions perhaps just below the seat but also the sides.

Last edited:
Okay, okay.....

I have finally got off my backside and done the positioning then cut the holes for the subs. Wasn't anywhere near as hard as I thought it was going to be. Cut a 1" hole and used a jigsaw. Had to make sure the positioning was accurate and all within the timber frame underneath.

It needs a little sand down and then start work on applying the "Fat Mat" insulation material. Still it is one step closer guys.

1ES7m.jpg

vKS8r.jpg

Last edited:
More work done...
Needed a slight readjustment of the top panels positioning.
It was 3mm off on one section. Got that sorted and cut the sides to showcase the larger chrome tubes.

The red lines show the section for stepping in/out
lfJLW.jpg

nyf1p.jpg

wBCLz.jpg

NkgIT.jpg

Last edited:
Got an email to notify me that "iwavit" are back in stock.
Ordered the premium package at the current $15 saving. If your not aware of what this is have a read here below. Also see the "App Store" to try for free. It is a rather cool IR transmitter for all types of remotes and has been getting good reports/comments.

http://www.thinkoptics.com/iWavit.html

I want to incorporate my iPhone/iPad for entertainment which will be used beside the seat.
This device will allow me to use their "Tabula Rasa HD" app to download or create my own hi res templates for using either the iPhone/iPad as a touchscreen controller for the consoles and other equipment. Id like to also make game specific templates with a graphical theme, for example a "GT5" or "FM4" touchscreen for PS3/X360.

Last edited:
The build is coming along nicely and I like the idea of an iPad touchscreen controller for the components. Adding a Logitech Harmony remote was one of the biggest improvements I made to my home theater and I have been paying attention to what companies are doing with iPad integration and control. Its some really cool stuff.

They have already shipped mine out and say it should take upto 5 days for international shipping. Not bad I guess sayng I only ordered this morning.

I'm thinking ahead you see and along the lines of utilising the triple monitors for multitasking. While not really using a PC it would be possible to have a situation of using the ipad via tv output to one of the monitors. With perhaps downloading something via a X360 on a second monitor and say watching something like BBC iplayer on the third. Having a remote like this will make controlling a lot of that much easier and of course look quite smart too.

Here is another video of what the iwavit can do.
I reckon within a few months many good templates will be available to download from user created uploads.

Last edited:
I like that iWavit remote app and dongle. 👍

Perhaps you could check something out for me when yours turns up? I already have a universal remote and one important function that I would need from the iWavit would be the ability to run a macro to turn on individual devices. For example, my current remote is set up to turn on the TV, amp and Sky Box with a single button press. I understand the iWavit can run macros but I'm unclear if it can run them over multiple remotes?

I'd be interested to know your findings... :)

Back on topic, looks like you're progressing well 👍 The chrome looks good too. What's next? :)

Darn,

I wasn't going to buy an IPAD! but you just blew that away Mr Latte :D

Thanks for sharing 👍

Greeze I think it has no problems doing that and powering several devices with one button and even adding delays between button presses.

I would like to do my own screen created with nice icons that allows powering and ejecting of each console. A master volume control, mute and also the Buttkicker amplifer together on a single screen.

Looney, I think Ipad is superb, the only thing I dont like is the Flash issue but its such a great wee device.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll be ordering a Premium kit

Edit: ordered! Nice find :)

👍

Last edited:
No probs, your welcome.

If we get some guys on the forums to become interested and particulary anyone good with photoshop etc. It would be possible to have some rather beautiful templates/backgrounds done.

Greeze, I got a letter from Parcelforce with import charges for the iwav premium product costing £23.64. About what I expected and is due to be delivered next few days.

Greeze, I got a letter from Parcelforce with import charges for the iwav premium product costing £23.64. About what I expected and is due to be delivered next few days.

Cheers for the heads up 👍

Well it could be quite a useful device in many ways.

Maybe you should also look into "Touch buddy" as it used to be quite popular onm PCs with touchsreens and software. Not sure if it ever got supported with phones/tablets though.

So far the user templates uploaded for this "iwav" are a bit basic and I guess it will take time for more to buy into it and the community to grow.

Cockpit Update:
Ordered more 18mm MDF for the bottom of the base today rather than use the 9mm I had originally purchased last year.
Next job will be to finish off the "Fat Mat" instulation and attach this 18mm MDF underside. Then the metal feet and finally the subs can be fitted and tested.

Last edited:
Well the iwavit premium product arrived.
Mine came in a much larger box than needed with newspaper packaging (very classy) 👎

The actual casing for the product is like an old cassette type container.
Only briefly tried the Sony TV control on my IPhone 4 it worked okay. For full PS3 functionality I plugged in the USB stick and small "T" sensor bar. It was working like a charm via the iPad. Do note I think the premium product is needed for this.

So far it does seem to work as expected.

Last edited:
Wood cut for underside, not yet attached.
Not exciting but a step closer.

j1d84.jpg

This base is now very heavy/solid.
It is so boring doing this part of the project. Still lots of work needed on this base section yet for sub port holes, attaching the feet and finishing. Other stuff as well needs done but I will be glad to get past this phase. I think I'm just eager to get on with it but cant till this is sorted, frustrating.

Last edited:
It may be boring but the base is what will make your design a solid and problem free cockpit, you are doing an awsome job Mr.Latte!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back