Project R

• Thread starter Mr Latte
  • 929 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the new glasses and transmitter arrived today.
Will see about getting the friend over again and giving it all another go.

So the RF glasses didnt work when trying to sync. Again one screen syncs the other doesnt.
Im not the type of person to give up easily and decided to try a few things.

Well here I believe is a first on any GT related forums.
With a bit of testing I have succeeded gentlemen in getting "3D and Multiscreen Projection" syncing with "3D Shutter Glasses". I discovered a way to get it to work on this hardware but thats my secret for now.

Dual 44" 3D Screens Below:

I believe triple screen 3D may be possible now. Even though 3D runs at approx 1/2 the framerate of 2D this will improve the immersion much more over the single screen 3D experience. Having a wider FOV and seeing more of the cockpit but all in 3D gives a much better effect.

Last edited:
Latte, this is the first time I see multiple screens and in 3D and I don't say - worthless.

The alignment and almost no frame look absolutely amazing. Not sure about the 3rd screen as it already looks great the way it is :)

One more thing, you do night shifts? I only see your evening and night posts :)

Last edited:
That's great work, Latte. If you want to avoid syncing issues you can use polarized 3d glasses and polarizing filters.

However, you'll also need six projectors. Yeah...

Just a quick post to show more from last night.
Will cover some of the coments later, thanks guys.

This was only setup quick on an ironing board, lol.
It would be possible to get no lines of course in between each image.

Their are some issues in getting this to work and going back to the main menu can require doing the resyncing process. So while yes it is working it could be a bit of a pain doing. Further testing would be needed to determine if 3way works and discovering the easiest process to get it all to resync.

Replays and close up objects really give a good 3D effect.

Last edited:
Cockpit cam looks fantastic.. not so sure about the replays

It all is quite nice when playing, of course though you need to be wearing the 3D glasses to get the effect off these and the proper colour. Blacks are improved with the glasses. The GT750 has a rather high Lumen output specifically for its 3D performance and the new VESA 3D mode has much improved blacks over the traditional DLP IR mode and standard glasses.

It isnt ghosting or lag shown in the above what you see is partial motion blur from the camera and the seperated images used to create the 3D depth.

Last edited:
Why is this a "secret"???

Hi friend, as it is still experimental and requires an awkward process to get it to work. From this test it seems the process has to be done again reloading a new track or if paused too long it can loose sync on one screen.

This is not going to be compatible with very many 3D projectors now available. The 3DRF glasses used are the reason this is indeed working at all and of course the projector needing to be hdmi 1.4 3D compatible which few currently are. The GT750 is one of the best or most versatile gaming projectors on the market.

The main bonus though is that the GT750 uses the "Bit Cauldron" technology found in "MonsterVision™" 3D glasses and emmitter. I have just learned more about this today myself and will continue the testing in later reports to improve the syncing if possible. I have not done a conclusive test yet but it will come in the near future.

If successful then I can explain how it is all possible and it performs.

damn!! Was in Media Markt in Berlin today and got all excited. They have an amazing array of hardware. One particular set up got me thinking. They had 3 50inch LG 3d passive screens side by side, all off the same signal. With a simple pair of passive ´ray-bans´i could see all 3 screens in 3d, really nice. No synching issues to worry about! So, based on Mr Lattes findings so far, it should be possible to run 3 tv screens in passive 3d with no syncing issues to worry about.

Now, seeing as i have a 3 projector set up, and am considering the 3D-XL, i got to thinking about passive output. Got excited again when i read that the 3d-XL will put out a passive image! Issue solved right? Well, not quite it seems. Fo the passive image, you need two projectors and 2 3D-XLs. So that means 6 projectors and 6 3D-XL´s to get a 3 screen 3D set up. Hmmmm. (i realise that someone above mentions 6 projectors but i just thought i´d share my excitement then disappointment from today´s travels!)

That would of been nice to see. I said something about LG back in 872. Though in reading reviews still yet on many 3DTVs they suffer from crosstalk.

The Monster Vision 3D glasses kit is compatible with 3DXL as it has the new VESA connection. The price of the GT750 is hard to beat though if shopping around. A cheap yet quality hdmi 1.4 passive glasses projector could be ideal, not sure if any are available. The problem then is using a suitable silver based screen or material to optimise the picture.

Optoma give very little information about the RF emitter, their is a much more detailed PDF on Monster Visions website for this interested.

Can you show some pics of your own multiscreen setup.
I'm liking the idea of a curved screen rather than canted.

Last edited:
i´ve got quite a bit of work to do on mine before pics! but as for curved Vs canted, i think we´ll struggle with the PS3´s. I have a feeling certain software is required to adjust the image so that the curvature doesn´t warp the image. I´ve seen some PC 3 projector curved screen set ups and they look cool, but it´s the software doing the work, not the curved the screen

Curved screens and consoles is a no go. If you look at my previous thread about my curved screen you can only run a single console on a curved screen and at that you have to have a gradual curve. You'll still get distortion.

If you're on PC only then Warpalizer is what you want. :)

Well your right last thing I want is a distorted image, I pressumed it would be a problem and like the Dome screens shown in this thread a few months back.

Did you guys try just having a cinema style 3 way configuration on a flat wall or purpose made screen? Kinda like a 2:35 cineam ratio movie but extra wide.

Ive not tired this as always used a canted monitor setup.

If any of you are into PC / Flight sims and in the UK.
What about a real military simulator dome screen for £45?

Seen these some time ago.
LINK

Latte, to be honest I have tried and still possess, curved, dome, semi dome, and a hybrid of both. My garage is filled with years of failed attempts to have the perfect surround video experience. I have tried mirrors of all types and bouncing it in different ways. The only people who have mastered this are the TOOB people who will be releasing mid year in 2012. Look up TOOB, its a half sphere dome with a first surface mirror.

Now while this provides an incredible 3D feel without even running 3D and it display 3D content great, it provides a less field of view than three canted screens.

Now to my point. After all these years and literally at least 6 thousand dollars of trials and errors, I am happiest with my triple 46" canted screens. The largest FOV so far, literally almost at 180 degrees. The best image quality by far. And the easiest to set up. After all that trying to reinvent the wheel I found the easiest solution the best.

The angle between the screens I've found to be perfect is 32 degrees. It gives literally a HUGE field of view and still a wrap around effect if you have the screens 3.6 feet from your seat. The effect is literally incredible.

I'm trying to help you out buddy not to waste years of time like I did. You already have 2/3 of what you need to have a amazing racing experience. Get it done buddy and start having fun! :)

Latte, to be honest I have tried and still possess, curved, dome, semi dome, and a hybrid of both. My garage is filled with years of failed attempts to have the perfect surround video experience. I have tried mirrors of all types and bouncing it in different ways. The only people who have mastered this are the TOOB people who will be releasing mid year in 2012. Look up TOOB, its a half sphere dome with a first surface mirror.

Now while this provides an incredible 3D feel without even running 3D and it display 3D content great, it provides a less field of view than three canted screens.

Now to my point. After all these years and literally at least 6 thousand dollars of trials and errors, I am happiest with my triple 46" canted screens. The largest FOV so far, literally almost at 180 degrees. The best image quality by far. And the easiest to set up. After all that trying to reinvent the wheel I found the easiest solution the best.

The angle between the screens I've found to be perfect is 32 degrees. It gives literally a HUGE field of view and still a wrap around effect if you have the screens 3.6 feet from your seat. The effect is literally incredible.

I'm trying to help you out buddy not to waste years of time like I did. You already have 2/3 of what you need to have a amazing racing experience. Get it done buddy and start having fun! :)

I believe Latte doesn't just want to make the perfect cockpit and stop there. I think making it, trying different things is actually very rewarding. Latte is sure enjoying the driving and keeps up the good work.

TOOB was looked at a while back. I even have the oppertunity to test it first hand with a guy in Scotland.

With it being a DOME not just a curve its totally out for me and consoles.
I appreciate the feedback, really I do and know testing will be the only way to find out what size, position suits my own needs and requirements.

I wanted to get opinions on "flat screen" compared to "canted positioning".
Their will be a need for the triple screen experience but also then to remove that easily and use the 110" electric projection screen already purchased for single screen gaming.

Last edited:
Trust me I understand that building and experimenting is half the fun. My post was merely to help guide him since I've already been down that road. He can choose to or not, up to him. I have a thread here with my triple 46" projection VR3. I'll be using 3D with it as well and appreciate his testing. He can feel free to pick stuff from my thread and use it for himself as well as I'll be posting more details on how everyone can have large projection triple screen setups. Its not as difficult as some think.

Latte, that is why I'm using the 31 degree canted position. It still allows me to use the 110" drop down projection screen in front of it as the canting isn't "extreme" :)

Anyway, Latte keep on keepin on.

Just so you know I very much welcome your feedback. If anything Ive always wanted more people on this thread to sometimes challenge and question my ideas. Indeed yes be more critical.

Please do update your own thread with what you have been doing and show us more, give more explanation for your reasons or current configuration. Ive been loving it so far.

Do you find the 3D to be a good experience or limited a little on those tiny projectors you have. I notice their rated lumens isnt very high? Have you tried GT5 in 3D on multiscreens yet?

Err what games are best in 3D, theirs so much I could ask you and rack your brains.

Last edited:
The lumens are deceiving. While they are rated at 300 lumens, the LED light source seems to be way more "concentrated" and "pure". I have the GT720 and that is rated at 2500 lumen and seems to be only slightly brighter at the same size which is pretty crazy.

These pocket Qumi projectors are more than adequate and when I show you the final pics I have taken with the surround sound installed and the projection material you'll see. ;) Its pretty ridiculous how good they look.

Other than PC I have to say the PS3 is stunning in 3D. Motorstrom, while arcadey is 3D nirvana and super fun. PS3 is a 3D beast to me. :)

Yup, which makes them perfect actually for this application. Quite, no heat really. Bright. Tiny and easy placement. And best of all is that no bezel and just as bright as a normal LCD HDTV.

Im wondering If I made a frame and had "rear projection" projector material used within 3x frames. Lightweight probably not that expensive but is rear projection screens suitable for 3D?

Need more research...

Mr Latte
Im wondering If I made a frame and had "rear projection" projector material used within 3x frames. Lightweight probably not that expensive but is rear projection screens suitable for 3D?

Need more research...

Latte, RP And 3D are fine together! My center screen is going to be RP in a corner of my basement with the short throw GT720+ 3D VIP Gamer (or maybe 750 if I sell/upgrade.) Thats what you see in my YouTube vid, center one is rear projection.

April 2012

Many new changes/additions/plans and lots of hardware has been bought.
Including my decision to go back into PC gaming and interest in many new excellent PC racing games available and ones due within the next year or so.

Does Latte talk crap eh? Is he capable of finally coming up with something rather unique or special?
Why would I be more judgemental of other rigs here? Perhaps I have a reason to be harder to impress?
Will the "phantom" rig ever appear?

If interested in reading or following as I appreciated some of you were please see here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back