Project Simulation | DIY Cockpits Plans | GT and F1 Style

• Thread starter Masi_23
  • 222 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still needs some work, but it's coming ;) Just been swamped with other real life commitments. No photo updates for now until its complete and tested (QC).

:cheers:

The F1 cockpit looks great. Count me in for a set of plans when they're finished! I don't have much design sense, so I'm afraid I can't offer any solutions, but my hopes for possible design features or future enhancements would include:

-some means of articulating the wheel mount or seat/base to make entry/exit easier with a heavy wheel attached (Thrustmaster)
-suggestions for padding the seat
-leg/thigh support as previously mentioned for increased comfort (same thought as the seat padding: I'm thinking many users would rather err on the side of comfort over absolute realism to make the cockpit comfortable over several hours)
-buttkicker mounting options
-shifter mounting options for those that want/need to make this an all-purpose rig
-designs for an add-on shell for those who want an enclosed look that can be added after the initial build

I would think that if you were able to include even a few of these design elements in your already-excellent design the sim-racing world will beat a path to your doorway!

Thanks and good luck with the project - I hope you sell a ton of 'em!

I totally agree with THATBEX. It may sound like the project is growing and getting more complicated, but in reality and IMHO it is not. It gives us options, which is terrific.

Count me "in"!

Hey guys! Very busy at school at the moment. About to finish the quarterlies and recently got accepted and about to start internship (:cheers:). Haven't been able to work on the rig for the past 2 weeks. I'll make sure to message you lads individually once it's ready. Sorry for the delay, but I can't promise a hard set date to avoid disappointing expectations. :sly:

@ thatbex

Entry - The wheel mount side panel recedes towards the foot rest, this is intentional, reason - being able to slide your feet first for easier entry. The wheel mount itself has a simple articulating design, but it's still in testing phase.

Padding - The seat itself is very comfortable even without padding (maybe it's just me though :D), but of course I'll be suggesting options along with a guide. You can find foam padding in local fabric and hardware stores. I've seen a few, but haven't any of them just yet.

Leg/Thigh Support - The comfort level is good with the design. The leg and thighs are greatly supported. The issue would be the fit - the width of the core of the rig where the legs enter to be exact.

Buttkicker - Should be very easy to implement! I have some Aura Bass shakers that I used in my previous rig that are laying stagnant in my storage. I'll have them dusted off once I finish the rig.

Shifter Mounts - Very easy to implement with simple articulating arm design (Aluminum extrusions/tubing)

Design - I am planning to release multiple variants of the DIY guide; Comfort, Realistic, Functional, or Combination. Factored in are wheel and pedal compatibilities also.

Cheers,
Masi_23

hello good'm new and just donate 30 dollars to the project of my cockpit f1 I am very interested and I'm hoping they get my plans and I will tell hehe

good morning I am contacting you because I have a problem.
Donate $ 30 for f1 cockpit planes and the truth that the person I sent them very well.
when recivo mail with files sent me gt1 cockpit planes I do not want.
E contacted by email with this person and sent several emails and never answered me a saver and I would like to solve my problem and send me the plans of f1 which was why I donate that money.
thanks and greetings to all.

@ lolo_652 - I e-mailed you back the details the day after you donated. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

@ srlada - I believe we talked about it through e-mail already. If anyone else is wondering, it's 3M Dinoc CF Vinyl.

F1 Cockpit Update - I have been balancing work and internship the past couple of months; basically I work around 80 hours a week. This is the main reason why I have yet to do the finishing touches. It's in the shelves for now, but will be finished eventually. Just no concrete timeline at the moment.

Happy Holidays! :cheers:

Hasn't been online in a couple weeks, see explanation three posts above. I like these cockpits but don't understand why this thread is stickied if project is not even complete and the poor busy soul says he doesn't have time to complete it indefinitely, TBA.

I finished the GT1 rig yesterday, at least to the point that it's fully functional. I posted a pic in the TRL forum. I still need to do:
1- Get a seat and attach the platform
2- Cover the MDF with some contact paper.
3- I plan to dye the PVC as well. Blue is what I'm thinking.
4- Clean up the cables
5- I'm not sure if I'm going to reverse mount the pedals yet, but I have the parts to do so.

I didn't bolt any of the PVC parts together, so I could take it apart to move it, if necessary. Also, I think once I get a real seat, I'll need to adjust the steering wheel lower. Overall, I'm very happy with it!

I like the GT1 design. Thinking about getting them and adding a few modifications for my second rig.

Is the F1 project still alive?

I like what I'm hearing so far. The main thing I am wanting to achieve is a realistic finish for the top of the nose (ultra high gloss material) without sanding 100,000 times and putting 100 coats of high gloss paint. I am looking into either colored nylon adhesive or simply finding a piece of plastic like a garbage can and cutting it in half to drape over the wheel and pedal structure...

You should consider something like Monokote -- just use that to cover all the flat surfaces for a nice, glossy finish:

Link: http://www.monokote.com/monoinst1.html

Link:

You should consider something like Monokote -- just use that to cover all the flat surfaces for a nice, glossy finish:

What a great idea!

I used to build a lot of RC planes and never thought of using monokote on other projects.

Jon...

All purchases tended to.

The F1 rig is still a go, but release is on-hold for the time being (no timetable). I keep saying it'll finish soon, but my schedule says otherwise at the moment. I've been inching progress bit by bit, including a complete overhaul of the nose. The v4 prototype was a bit hard to get into once you go above 5'10" tall (long legs). I'm a lean 5'8" (I do amatuer powerlifting) and it was a bit of a struggle (approach) to get situated in, but once you are seated, I could pretty much take a nap it was so comfortable.

Anyway, thanks you for the support guys. Send me a direct e-mail here: projectsim.us@gmail.com

I respond faster there than here in case you have any questions.

Regards,
Masi

Hey Guys. Here are some pictures of my Rig.
IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2265.jpg
IMG_2266.jpg
IMG_2263.jpg
IMG_2256.jpg
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2258.jpg
IMG_2259.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg

VERY nice build, MSP_Projeck!

:bowdown:

Quick question for Masi and others who have built this for use with T500 pedals -- why did you decide to fasten the pedals to the frame, rather than just flipping them over to the "GT/inverted" position? I use my pedals in the "GT/Inverted" position now, and I'm considering the idea of going more vertical in the front to simply serve as bracing for my inverted pedals, rather than mounting them to the frame.

Does the mounting angle work better than the stock inverted angle with the seat that low, perhaps?

Interested in your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
Fantastic work MSP_Projeck! 👍

@ John,

"Does the mounting angle for the T500 pedals work better with them attached to the PVC frame than the stock inverted angle for the pedals with the seat that low, perhaps?"

The stock inverted angle for the T500 pedals is far too forward (negative rake) for the low seating position, so yes, the seating position dictated the angle of the front pipes (with the pedals attached to the frame). I personally like my pedal rake close to neutral/positive so I did my best to make it adjustable with the U-bolt component so everyone can adjust to their liking.

Also, as suggested in the plans, but not much into detail (and no pics, too - I intend to add more info in the DIY), you can do a standard/suppine pedal setup with the pedal base/board bolted with single U-bolt between those front T-Connectors. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward when you look at it.

Also x2, I intentionally did not go vertical on the front assembly mostly because I wanted to make the rig look more 'Racey' and having the pedals fastened to the frame helps hold the rig more firmly down on the ground when pressure is applied to the pedals.

Lastly, the top was designed around a freestanding monitor mount where the monitors themselves will sit just behind the steering wheel itself (as pictured in Page 1), rather than behind the steering wheel base altogether, which I thought leaves plenty enough space for a desktop - which I originally designed it for (iRacing). Oh, and I actually thought about an attached monitor/s mount but I was concerned with vibrations so I swayed against it.

- Eric

Hey Guys. Thank you very much for the response of my Rig. Thanx Masi for the great Idea to make such a great Rig. The Rig is very solid and i have so much fun in it.Thanx again Masi and all the others

@ John Bodin: Hey John. The only thing i want is your unbelievibal great Load Cell Brake Mod. Is there anything new?

Materials for the rig is about 100-120USD. It may cost more or less depending on where you are. The seat is not equated in that estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back