PS3 General Discussion

I'm afraid there's nothing else I can delete in the Game Data Utility. Most of the game folders there are occasionally used by my sisters, and the untouched ones belong to the person who lent the PS3 to me, so I don't dare to delete any of them.
Why are you focusing on the Game data Utility? Those are generally quite small and compacted files that take up very little space. Maybe the photos, music folders can be cleared up - save the images/tunes to a USB and reinatall after, if need be. You'd be surprised at how much space can be freed up with thinning out the screen-shots and replays that you don't really need.

Why are you focusing on the Game data Utility? Those are generally quite small and compacted files that take up very little space. Maybe the photos, music folders can be cleared up - save the images/tunes to a USB and reinatall after, if need be. You'd be surprised at how much space can be freed up with thinning out the screen-shots and replays that you don't really need.
The only folders that actually store data in my PS3 are the Game Data Utility and the Saved Data Utility. All other folders are empty.

The only folders that actually store data in my PS3 are the Game Data Utility and the Saved Data Utility. All other folders are empty.
Damn, that was an easy way of getting more HDD space back into circulation - any demos you can remove? I'm fairly sure that they can be redownloaded via the PS Store download list function, though you'd need to check that for definite, especially if it's your friend's.

Damn, that was an easy way of getting more HDD space back into circulation - any demos you can remove? I'm fairly sure that they can be redownloaded via the PS Store download list function, though you'd need to check that for definite, especially if it's your friend's.
I never downloaded any demos, all the game data stored are full games.
My PS3 is one with a 12 GB flash drive though, so I'm considering buying an actual HDD with much more space, or just returning the PS3 to the lender and get a PS4 when PCARS and LittleBigPlanet 3 are released.

All this is assuming that I've got the time to play after September...

How to empty the cache? And is it even necessary?

So I'm reading at various places how one should regularly empty the PS3 cache, otherwise online play will suffer and not run as smoothly.
I have been playing Gran Turismo 6 pretty much daily for the last two months with the highest online settings and never in this time has anything not worked as it should.

Two times the game has frozen on me but that was when trying to turn the system off, nothing related to online play.
Seems my cache is fine even after having played for this long. Why should I clear it?
Is it vital that I do? And where exactly do you clear it, anyway?
I went through all the options and couldn't find anywhere something mentioning clearing of the cache.
Thanks

I'd honestly go Sony whenever possible. Some of the controllers start at £20 on ebay, as long as you aren't bothered with having a Sixaxis controller.

Is it possible that cleaning up the PS3 cache may stop all these sudden disconnections I keep getting in my games? If so, how do I do it?

Been a while since I responded. I did check my profile but one thing I need to know is whether this will delete my replays and photos on GT6 as it did on GT5.

Is the PSN store on PS3 still active? I haven't been able to access it for weeks, maybe months I can't remember how long its been.

Is the PSN store on PS3 still active? I haven't been able to access it for weeks, maybe months I can't remember how long its been.
It is active, I'm downloading patch 1.12 for it now. I won't download the 46MB patch because I've been downloading a 100MB video on my laptop for the last hour, and don't feel like slowing it down more. It would be a big deal if they just shut it down without warning, so rest assured, the Store is safe.

Last edited:
Can I unplug my Dualshock 3 controller from my PS3 while it is undergoing a Full Format? I want to know if there's any negative consequences from that.

Can I unplug my Dualshock 3 controller from my PS3 while it is undergoing a Full Format? I want to know if there's any negative consequences from that.

It shouldn't have any negative consequences. The cable is the controller's only way of communicating with the PS3.

Just don't unplug your PS3 :P

It shouldn't have any negative consequences. The cable is the controller's only way of communicating with the PS3.

Just don't unplug your PS3 :P

Don't mention it, man. I will have to leave it running overnight, it will probably end at 3 a.m.. Thank God it's not summer, otherwise it would be a very risky operation, with powercuts every week. Thanks for the answer!

What is the quickest way for me to delete my profile and all information safely off of my PS3? I am trading it in within 14 days and want it all cleared off but don't want to delete anything that will prevent the PS3 from running.

What is the quickest way for me to delete my profile and all information safely off of my PS3? I am trading it in within 14 days and want it all cleared off but don't want to delete anything that will prevent the PS3 from running.
Go into the Recovery Menu and select Restore PS3 System.

If you ever plan to use another PS3 or anything from PSN again I suggest you deactivate permissions also, as there is a limit to how many systems can access your account.

Hi!
Hope I'm in the right spot here with my problem:
I bought a new 500gb supreslim not even a month ago and today it won't start up no more. Only the vents are running on full power and then it turns off again. I know that happens after unplugging it ONCE, but it does it all the time now, and I can't solve it from the safe boot menu - FS restore, back to standard settings, Database rebuild and reinstalling the Firmware doesn't help. It's still the same...
Any Ideas??

UPDATE: I'm afraid my ps3 answered the question - can't open the recovery menu now :ouch::ouch:

Last edited:
@FoolKiller

Turned on the PS3 last night. Then I attempted to perform your recommended procedure but could not get either one of my controllers to connect to the PS3. One is wired and one is wireless but for whatever unlucky reason, they just wouldn't work. I even tried charging the PS3 controller through my tv and through my PC. So I unhooked everything and will be trading it in to GS tonight after work. I also have a bag of peripherals and wires for the PS3 that I will trade in. I don't really care what I get out of it financially, I just want someone else to be able to enjoy a system that I simply just never play anymore. :)

I haven’t been able to start the PSN store for more than a week now. It starts and the top menus show, but then my PS3 hangs up and I have to turn it off with the power button. Anyone knows if this is an issue with my PS3 or with the store?

I haven’t been able to start the PSN store for more than a week now. It starts and the top menus show, but then my PS3 hangs up and I have to turn it off with the power button. Anyone knows if this is an issue with my PS3 or with the store?
Depends on what regional store you are accessing. The US store is working fine.

@FoolKiller
Successfully traded in the PS3 last night. The controller just had to be reset. I guess there is a tiny reset button on the back. They pushed that in and it worked perfectly. Very happy with the trade in amount too. I plan to hook my PS2 in place where the PS3 was at in my entertainment center. :D

Latest Posts

Back